• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
vigilantsldr-Your guess is as good as mine on that one! All I know is that I danced back into Montevideo, reinforced and then marched out. By that time, the Americans had an province Corrientes bordered onto, but the work was all mine!

andytimtim2004-Screenies probably are up for my NEXT AAR, which I'm currently researching. I haven't had much luck in locating an on-line site to drop photos for use. I had a Yahoo spot, but after a few days the links weren't working any more. Any advice on the topic would be greatly appreciated!

Both of you have wonderful AARs going! Keep up the good work! After I post this, I'm going over to continue reading on the continuing fortunes of your nations.

SMALL COUNTRIES RULE!!!

AWESOME--Many Thanks!!!

vigilantsldr-You are THE Man!!!!
I just posted an image on what I believe is the third page on my Operation Goodyear, the Invasion of Bali. Now that I know how to do it, I'll start putting my Photoshop skills to good use!
Since I post on a different type of computer (Mac) than I play the game on (IBM), actual game screenies might take a bit longer to post.

I might as well use this spot to announce my next AAR, which is still in "character development" stages:

Battleline's Big Trouble in Nationalist China

BigTroublecopy.jpg

Big Trouble in Little China Photo Courtesy Wing Kong Exchange: http://www.wingkong.net/index.htm

Jack Burton: Just remember what ol' Jack Burton does when the earth quakes, the poison arrows fall from the sky, and the pillars of Heaven shake. Yeah, Jack Burton just looks that big old storm right in the eye and says, "Give me your best shot. I can take it."

Last edited:
Beisbol y Cerveza XXIX July-December 1946

Beisbol y Cerveza XXIX July-December 1946

ArgentinaInvasioncopy.jpg

The Taking of Argentina

Blue Monday
Montevideo, Uruguay—July 16, 1946, was a sunny morning, much like most in the Uruguayan capital city. As the Dominicans were reinforced in Uruguay after being thrown out of Corrientes (and taking a WHOLE LOT of Argentinian Axists with them!), General Trujillo received the following telegram.

UNITED STATES ANNEXES ARGENTINA!

“I knew they were doing well, but had no idea they were doing this well!” exclaimed General Trujillo. As the overall Allied commander of the operation, Trujillo had been getting updates from the front, where the Americans were taking cities and towns too fast to count.

While the United States would get credit for the territory, and thus the Allies would pick up the victory points, the Dominican Republic would gain another outpost for baseball and have dibs on establishing sports relations with that nation.

A Brief Trip Home
With the Argentina operation finished, it was time to take a look at where to strike next.
Back home, the trouble with Dominican troops not reinforcing to strength was discovered. Unfortunately, that didn’t come before the “upgrade to the latest model” button was pushed for most!
With the supplies once again coming out, Dominican troops started to come back on-line and were made ready for the next operation.

Where to Go?
The offense in Bobai was stalled out as the Japanese continued to pound the Allied positions. However, those troops were not losing men, only organization points. A good number of American squadrons flew cover for the troops.

As a limited offense, it was decided to move troops from the Truk Operation (long completed) to join the British offensive (run by Phillipino troops) out of India. Burma was on the brink of being returned to the British Empire.
Sending additional troops to that outpost was not an option.

There were still some Japanese strongholds in the East Indies to be cleared and some islands in the Aleutians that had changed color before the Japanese stripped all troops to fight the Phillipino forces out of India and the Soviets now crushing down through Manchuria.

The next option was southern Europe. Just how tough were the Italians? They had blitzed through southern France and the Balkans before joining the German parade across Russia and helping to bottle the Allies into Cherbourg.

Fortunately, there were just two American divisions left in that recreation area. The rest had been moved out to help with other areas of the offensive.

After a meeting in Miami with some Allied bigwigs, it was decided that Trujillo’s next assignment would be the invasion of Southern France with a target of Toulon.

FunontheBeach.jpg

Into Southern France

Operation “Fun on the Beach”
With the re-armed Dominicans leading the way, the province of Toulon was taken Nov. 16. Only people on vacation stood ready to oppose the Dominicans. Actually, they did more than any army could as the troops stopped to gawk at the topless females sunbathing on the beach.

It took quite a bit of restraint by the officers to get the men to continue past the beach and into the towns and cities of the province.

The Americans landed a couple of days later and didn’t have any of that trouble, mainly since they were off-loaded at the recently-freed port. No beaches there!

Advance!
American troops didn’t stay there long. Some were sent east to occupy Genoa Dec. 4 before the Italians could respond. But they did respond and that was the extent of the beachhead.

France was given credit for the territory, mainly since they were still an active member of the Allies.

The Germans could care less about the fate of their Italian pals. They were too deep into the Soviet Union and Iraq to care much about matters in the Italian sector.

Also not caring much were the British and their Commonwealth friends, who never made one single attempt to break out of Cherbourg once some troops were pulled away to deal with the Dominican incursion.

Red Tide in Asia
More interesting information came over Dec. 19, as Dominican troops were leaving La Spezia from the Italian invasion.

USSR ANNEXES MANCHUKUO
“That’s interesting,” said Trujillo upon reading that information. “I didn’t think our quasi-allies were doing that well in that theater.”

Falling Apart
Things were going well until the following message was received:
Italian troops break Dominican Republic lines in Genoa.

With that, the entire front was laid open. A beachhead was held in Toulon through the end of the year, but evacuation would be the only option. The next offense would have to come in a different location.

Coming Attractions
Our next episode:
“Split-ting the Axis,” or
“Grecian Formula Gets the German Gray Out”

Beisbol y Cerveza XXX January-June 1947

Beisbol y Cerveza XXX January-June 1947

News From Around the World
Dateline Manchuria--Josef Stalin’s troops continue to gobble up provinces on the Asian front, flooding into what had been Manchukuo and Japanese holdings. Reports place the front as far south as Changchun and Tonghua.

Dateline Bobai--American troops continue to hold their positions on the Chinese mainland as the Japanese feel confident air power can eliminate the invaders. American pilots fly anything airworthy enough to fend off the Japanese bombers.

Dateline South China Sea--American troops under General George S. Patton make final preparations for their invasion of Indochina. Troops are slated to land at Saigon to open a new front against the crumbling Japanese army.
Dateline Burma--Burmese natives mob liberating Phillipino forces as they march through the country. The Japanese had come quickly, but left even faster as the Allied offense out of India has routed the men of Nippon. The advance has moved as far east as Amili and Baoshan.

Dateline Iraq--German forces continue to flood into the Middle East from through the Georgia and Armenia areas. German forces have penetrated into Tabriz and An Nasiriyah and are being opposed by Allied and Soviet troops.

Dateline Northern Russia--Soviet troops have made tremendous strides in the northern war against the Finns and have drove back to the pre-war border at places. The Russians are just a couple of provinces away from an undefended Moscow.

Dateline Cherbourg--The Allies, commanded by the British and French, continue the longest tea time break in recorded history and haven’t moved an inch since establishing positions.

Dateline Toulon--The southern Allied invasion has not drawn many troops away from the Cherbourg ring and is in danger of collapse. Ships are standing by to board troops.

Japanese Are Sai-Gone
Led by Ol’ Blood and Guts himself, a mechanized army of the United States stormed into Saigon Jan. 8, capturing the big city and its province. A secondary force of two divisions was left in Saigon as the Americans pushed to the west to eradicate the Japanese.

“We're gonna keep fighting!! Is that CLEAR?!! We're gonna attack all night we're gonna attack the next morning!! If we're not VICTORIOUS!! Let no man come back alive!!!” Gen. George S. Patton ordered his troops.

Actually, with the final calendar year of the game now on the screen, attacking the enemy became a priority. The Allies were WAAAAAY behind in victory points and needed something grand to have even a chance to win the game.

They’re Actually Doing Something?
News of a Canadian landing at Lille came as a shock to the Dominicans. It was the first time anyone else had done anything at all to mount some sort of offense against the Axis. But with a very small force, it seemed bound for defeat without drawing attention away from Cherbourg.

At the same time, Patton’s boys took Mojiang and continued to throw the Japanese out of French Indochina.

Thoughts about the Lille operation were realized when the invasion was crushed Jan. 27. During the entire time, none of the Allied troops in Cherbourg ever tried to break out.

A New Front
After being tossed out of Toulon, the Dominican High Command found another weak spot. Split, formerly of Yugoslavia, would give the Allies a nice foothold into the Balkans and jeopardize three major Axis partners, Greece, Bulgaria and Romania.

The Dominican Navy was held up the Adriatic Sea, beating an Italian fleet with its two destroyers and an attached American force. By the time it was D-Day, the shore had filled up with Axis Italian troops and we wanted no part of them.

At the same time, Patton’s mech boys took Rach Gia and continued to advance through Japanese defenses rapidly. Some militia was starting to show up in the Japanese defenses.

Switching to Terrain Mode, another invasion route was spotted.

Unoccupied Agrostoli Island had a beach symbol! So the nation that has come to symbolize Classical Civilization was declared the next Allied target!

D-Day
Feb. 5, 1947, marked D-Day in Greece. The landings went off without a hitch (the cast of Grease probably would have put up a better fight!) and the land turned Dominican gold. More troops were quickly thrown into the breech.
Next stop was Agrinian!

Rollin, Rollin, Rollin!
United States forces under George S. Patton continued to advance in Southeast Asia. Battambang fell Feb. 15 with Phnom Penh going on the 17th. Three US attached motorized divisions took Luang Prabang for the British in their surge eastward from India as both sides worked around neutral Siam.

Cuts Through Greece
Troops from the Dominican Republic and the United States claimed Agrinian for the Dominicans Feb. 26. How much more Greece would have to be taken before we could add some land?

Out of France
The Toulon front officially ceased to exist Feb. 28 as the final Allied troops loaded onto ships. The Italians quickly moved in and made sure the Riveria would be manned.

More For Us!
Ionnina was taken for the Dominican Republic March 9 with Atheni (Athens) going to the Dominican Republic on the Ides of March.
Ionnina was briefly lost, but retaken March 24.
Patrai went to the Americans for the Dominicans April 4.
The biggest fight left in Greece wrapped up April 24 as a joint force of Domincan and American troops won the Battle of Thesalonki. With most of the country in Dominican Gold, there was one thing left to be done.

ConquestofGreece.jpg

The Conquest of Greece

With a few swipes of the pen, The Dominican Republic annexed Greece. The one-province nation had grown with its new land.
The great thing was that Greek troops disappeared from the map. It was hoped that would be enough to precipitate a breakout from Cherbourg.

As an afterthought, I wondered that if I had puppeted the Greeks instead of annexing, if I could have used all of their units. Would have helped in the Balkans, but would the Greeks in the Atlantic Wall have immeditely started fighting against the Germans? That I don’t know.

Balkans, Schmalkans
The Domincan offensive continued with Vlore, now a German possession, being grabbed May 3. Skopje, formerly of Yugoslavia (since conquered by Germany), was liberated June 11.

War in the East
Ubon Rachthani went to the Americans April 4 with Patton’s men taking Nhonmarath June 3.

By this time, the forces opposing the Americans in Bobai were down to single divisions. Time to use air power! Without cover, those units quickly ceased to exist by the 20-plus air units.

Breakout!
American infantry took Jiangmen June 12 and were nearly to Gungzhou when June came to an end.

Six Months to Go
The scenario has nearly ended with six months to go and the Allies down in Victory Points. Only work on a grand scale can prevent an Axis victory on points. Can the small nation of the Dominican Republic oversee the way to an Allied victory while most of the major partners sit? Check back next time to find out!

Beisbol y Cerveza XXXI July-December 1947

Steady Progress on Most Fronts
Troops added Gungzhou to the Dominican Republic possessions July 4 and Shaogin a week later.

The offense out of India added Hengyang Aug. 1.

Varna was won, and then lost around Aug. 17.

More For Us!
With victory in the Bulgarian province of Sofia, the Dominican Republic (along with its American partners) now had enough land to swallow up another country.
Following the surrender of Sofia, the nation was officially annexed into the Dominican Republic.

Advance!
Little time was wasted in pushing out of the newly-annexed lands. Nis fell to the Dominican Allies Aug. 22. It was time for a desperate gamble to lift the Allies to victory.

Right Hook
Under strict radio silence, the Dominican fleet, screened by American warships, sailed into the Eastern Black Sea.

Disgorged onto the beaches of Majkop was a three-division armored group under the command of Gen. Ruiz-Costa. The plan came about as it was discovered the Axis had left a major hole in what they determined to be the rear area in southern Russia. Most Axis forces were holding the line against the USSR, advancing into the Middle East, holding the Allies at Cherbourg, or massing to halt the Dominican threat in the Balkans.

OperationVPGrabcopy.jpg
Oct

Operation VP Grab

The plan, called “Operation VP Grab” was designated to be run as follows:

Ruiz Costa was to move as quickly as possible to Stalingrad and grab the 40-VP city. Then, before the Germans could react, the Dominicans were to rush to the big prize, the 50-VP city of Moskov.

There, the Dominicans would hold out hopefully until the end of 1947. That would give the Allies enough points to win the scenario at “Judgment Day.”

Follow-on troops would try to hold the line open and defend the new possessions, if they could come quickly enough.

The plan worked just as practiced. Majkop fell Aug. 22 with the spearhead taking Krosno Aug. 29, Millerovo Aug. 30 and Morozovsk Sept. 2.

First Goal Achieved
Dominican troops grabbed Stalingrad Sept. 4. The city was defended only by air units.

Tie Score
With other Allied victories in Varna, Tambov and Kolwoon, the war score was now tied at 465-465. But moving ahead would be a chore.

Continuing To Moscow (Moskva)
Ryazan was gained Sept. 14, but the drive took a big hit the next day when Majkop was lost to the Germans. Seems the follow-on troops were not arriving fast enough. There were still troops in the Dominican Republic Balkan possessions, but they were needed for the proposed campaign into Romania and defense against the mounting numbers of Italian and German Divisions massing along the border in the former Yugoslavia.

Claiming the Prize
Despite losing its supply route, the Armored Corps under General Ruiz-Costa arrived to take Moskva Sept. 25. Like Stalingrad, the city was defended only by air units.

Axis Reacts
It didn’t take long for the Axis to realize that the newly-won Dominican provinces weren’t well defended and they started falling quickly. Some follow-on troops were landed in Majkop and managed to hold Millerova for the Dominicans, but without a port, they were in trouble.

Taking Control
Realizing that something drastic had to be done to hold enough points to win the game, Trujillo asked for military control of Great Britain and Iraq Oct. 5 and was granted both.

Truth Revealed
However, there was one major problem. Seems that most of the British troops in Cherbourg were under French control, sent as Expeditionary Forces and given to the French. THEY were the ones sitting in Cherbourg, happy with their one European province to go with other world holdings!

A New Strategy
Many of the British troops were quickly returned to British control, especially where they were doing well. That meant the British offense into China from India was returned to the computer.

There were a few areas that Trujillo saw as being important and moved pieces around the board. In the Middle East, he used forces to attack Damascus, an important VP square in that part of the world. Iraqui pre-war fighters were flown to Greece and gathered for the next operation. British troops were borrowed from North Africa, a theater that had been dead for years, and put on ships to the Black Sea.

Additionally, a new strategy in Dominican Europe called for defense in depth with two American Armored groups being detailed for transport as soon as fighting in Plovdiv ending. The Allies re-won that province Oct. 9.

Operation VP Grab II
Operation VP Grab did one very good thing. It pulled a lot of German forces from other fronts to try to re-take the vital province of Moskva. Ruiz-Costa’s forces did what they could to hold out without resupply. It would be a race to see who would win the province, and ultimately the game.

The newly-scraped up Allied forces hit the beaches at an undefended Odessa Oct. 22 with the Americans leading the way. The province was quickly claimed, and Operation VP Grab II was underway. The remaining forces in Operation VP were trying to do two things--gain a port (Rostov) for resupply, and fight over to Stalingrad, just two provinces away. What they did do was to gather a lot of attention from the Axis, leaving the western route open.

The idea was to run up the tank-friendly terrain of the Dneiper River Valley and place forces into Moskva. Continued arrivals of Allied troops would man the provinces on the way to keep the supply routes open. Fighters from Iraq would provide air cover.

Quickly the provinces fell. Krasnodar turned American Blue Oct. 25. Would they make Moskva on time?

Fall of the Soviet Capital
Overwhelming forces finally defeated Ruiz-Costa’s group in Moskva Nov. 4. With progress toward Stalingrad moving painfully slow, it would be up to Operation VP Grab II to win the game.

Rollin’ Up The River
The drive up the Dneiper River continued with Krovograd being taken Nov. 6 and Kiev, the first major objective, falling Nov. 11.

A Price to Pay
For weakening the defenses in Domincan Europe, the price was the province of Nis, which yielded to overwhelming Italian pressue Nov. 8.

War in China
American troops, fighting for Domincan gains in Asia, won the umpteenth Battle of Gungzhou Nov. 12. This time the province would be defended. Things in China were being made a bit easier by the fact that the Soviets were crunching down and owned territory up to Korea. In fact, the peninsular stronghold was close to being cut off from the rest of China.

Additionally, forces from the Philippines had invaded Eastern China as troops were stripped from beach provinces to fight other threats.

And Patton’s force continued to tear a large hole from Indochina.

Another theory was that the Japanese soldiers were just throwing down their weapons to head to Dominican territory under Trujillo’s amnesty offer to those who turned in their weapons and a free ride home to Japan on transports from Bobai. Some of the men who arrived had been in Japan since 1931, well before the scenario started, when the Japanese occupied Manchuria. Others had been late arrivals to the China theater, leaving the home islands just before the Dominicans took over.

The Drive to Victory
The spearhead continued to add provinces on its way to the goal--Moskva. Chernigov was taken Nov. 16 with Gomel grabbed Nov. 20. Smolensk fell to the Americans Nov. 23.

And the Score Is. . .
A check of the out-of-town scoreboard revealed that the Axis had a 20-point edge in the final score if the war ended today (Nov. 23). It was 468-448. Taking Moskva, provinces in China against a crumbling Japanese army, and holding some key Middle Eastern provinces, such as Damascus, was vital.

Moving to Moskva
The armored spearhead, led by Gen. Bedall-Smith, was joined by a second armored force and gave the advance a 1-2 punch. Kaluga was won Nov. 30 with Moskva falling to the Americans Dec. 4. Could five armored divisions hold for less than a month? That would be the question with the answer meaning victory or defeat.

At that time, the score was Allies 500, Axis 416.

VPGrabIIcopy.jpg

Operation VP Grab II

A Minor Setback
Axis forces attacked at places throughout the spearhead zone, but were pushed back at almost every spot. With British Strategic Bombers supplying cover along with the Iraqui fighters, many German advances were halted before they could gain steam. Still, there was one final setback.

Odessa was taken by the Germans Dec. 22. It cut off the Allied forces in the spearhead zone, but was a minor setback. Additional follow-on forces wee sent to retake the port from the sea, but time ran out.

Judgment Day
Odessa was the only province lost during Operation VP Grab II. However, the Victory Points lost with the province were more than offset by gains elsewhere.

In Dominican Europe, the lines held against the Axis. Additionally, there were two more provinces under Allied control in the USSR.

In the Middle East, an additional American force helped to blunt the German advance into the former Persia. While Iraq had no provinces left, nobody controlled enough to annex, which helped Operation VP II. Also, the Brits re-took Damascus, big for the Allied cause.

In China, Patton broke through to the Domincan zone, adding Zhanjiang to the French (as they had attacked from Indochina). Philippino forces had built a wonderful small empire of six provinces among the fertile eastern China provinces around Ningbo and Xiaman. The drive from India had grabbed Hengyang on its push.

The Soviets robbed a substantial number of victory points from the Axis as well. They had driven as far south as Beijing and had cut Korea, and its high number of Japanese troops, off from the rest of China.

The Final Score. . .
When the big graphic came onto the screen at the end of Dec. 30, 1947, it read:
Allies 500
Axis 415
Comintern 52

VICTORY WAS OURS!

Up next, a look at the Dominican Republic World as 1948 Dawned and the future of Beisbol y Cerveza.

Beisbol y Cerveza XXXII The World At Judgment Day

Beisbol y Cerveza XXXII The World At Judgment Day

He's not concerned with yesterday
He knows constant change is here today
He's noble enough to know what's right
But weak enough not to choose it
He's wise enough to win the world
But fool enough to lose it
He's a New World Man...

Rush “New World Man”

The NEW Dominican Republic
It had been quite a time for the Dominican Republic.
In the span of 12 years, the Dominican Republic had gone from a Caribbean nation of one province to a world-wide empire.
In 1936, the nation’s chief exports were rum, sugar and baseball players. Now, there are any number of products available for export in the Dominican Republic, such as coal, oil, rubber and finished goods.

The World of Trujillo
Officially, the Dominican Republic consists of the eastern end of Hispanola and the annexed former nations of Greece and Bulgaria.
In Greece, the Domincan Republic now controls the cradle of classic civilization. Also, the provinces of Skopje and Vlore are under Dominican control.
In Russia, the province of Millerovo is controlled by the Dominican Republic.

In Asia, the Dominican Republic holds most of the home islands of Japan. Others are under United States control, but are being cared for by the Dominican Republic. Holdings for the Dominican Republic include home islands from Hiroshima north. Two home islands, Koshi and Kagashima, belong to the United States as well as the islands to the south through Taiwan.

In China, Domincan holdings are the provinces of Bobai, Jiangmen, Gungzhou (Canton) and Kowloon. Those holdings wrap around Macao and border up to the British fortress island of Hong Kong.

In other places, the Dominicans are revered as liberators and conquerers. In the Dutch East Indies, American Argentina, the other Japanese home islands and places in the USSR, the Dominicans are remembered for their role in liberation. In the USSR, provinces still controlled by the U.S. on the drive to Moskva remember that the Dominicans led that charge.

Muscovites celebrate their freedom daily from both the Facists and the Communists. They enjoy their new American status.

The Future
In appreciation to Trujillo’s leadership of the winning Allied war effort, the Domincans have been given some special status.

Trujillo’s cerveza (beer) breweries have been extended around the world in partnership with the Anheuser-Busch company of St. Louis. Fine Dominican beer and rum is served at fine establishments worldwide.

The national sport of both America and the Dominican Republic has extended worldwide. The Dominican League restarted with teams at major outposts in the Caribbean once again. Abroad, the Domincans have brother leagues in Japan, China, and Domincan Europe (former Greece and Bulgaria and Millerovo, USSR).
There is hope for an All-China League with the Japanese remnants now that the war has stopped. Also, the British are expressing interest, once they are convinced to change from cricket.

Additionally, the Americans have allowed the Dominicans the baseball rights to Argentina and American territories in the Pacific and former USSR.

Based once again in Ciudad Trujillo, which he allowed the locals to change back to Santo Domingo, Trujillo travels amongst his presidential palaces in many lands. Those include the Imperial Home in Tokyo and other splendid historical mansions in China and Greece. Additionally, when Trujillo visits Moskva, he calls the Kremlin home.

Yes, it’s been a long and wonderful 12 years!

DRWorld48.jpg

The Dominican World

vigilantsldr said:
Excellent read! Great job on the win and I hope its not too long until we see another AAR by Battleline! :D

Thanks! It wasn't an easy one to win. My so-called Allies loved to sit around. Seems like Lescot and his pals on the SS Charmin could have taken over the world in that game!

By the way, keep up the good work in your game! Liberia added to your empire makes your nation a bit bigger. Are you going after more in Africa? After all, there are never enough places to sell Big Macs (although if you invade India, you might have to re-think the marketing!)

You might look at some of the quasi-stable banana republics in Central America. Stay AWAY from Cuba! That tends to draw a DOW from the United States (if you aren't allied with them). I tried that once in my Super Dominican game (with beefed up military and techs). I like to play that one every once in a while after a tough day just to feel superior!

Actually, I am in the early stages of my next AAR, Big Trouble in Nationalist China. It's going to be a mix of the actual Nationalist China government at the time (and that was a circus in itself as I'm starting to find out in reading Jonathan Fenby's "Chiang Kai-Shek: China's Generalissimo and the Nation He Lost," The 1986 John Carpenter cult classic "Big Trouble in Little China" starring Kurt Russell and some other sprinkled cinematic twists and events. I've been re-watching BTLC and Kung Pow, Enter The Fist in recent days to get into the mood.

Expect some pre-play character and plot thumbs in coming days!

Again, thanks for all the encouragement and best of luck as Haiti!

Battleline