• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Oideun

Recruit
14 Badges
Mar 24, 2017
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Stellaris
  • BATTLETECH
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
One line summary of your issue
No sound/audio at all

What platform are you running the game on?
Steam

What operating system do you use?
Linux - Manjaro

Which version of the game are you running?
1.9.1-686R

What DLC do you have installed?
Flashpoint, Urban Warfare, Heavy Metal

Please explain your issue is in as much detail as possible.
The game was working well up until today, as I launched it and noticed there was no sound in the intro. Sometimes that audio is really quiet, so I went into my saved game and noticed also no audio there. Other games in Steam have a normal-working audio.

Have you tried verifying your files?
Yes

Steps to reproduce the issue
Just launch the game and play

Attach DxDiag (PC), System Info log (Mac), or run sudo lshw -html > specs.html and uploaded specs.html (Linux)
File(s) attached

Attach Output Log
Windows: \Users\YourUserName\AppData\LocalLow\Harebrained Schemes\BATTLETECH\output_log.txt
Mac OS: Users >{name} > Library > Logs > Unity > Player.log
Linux: ~/.config/unity3d/Harebrained Schemes/BATTLETECH/Player.log

File(s) attached

If the game crashed, please attach the crash file with the time stamp closest to the crash.
Windows: [Steam library folder]\steamapps\common\BATTLETECH\DumpBox
For v.17 and beyond try here: C:\Users\[YourUserName]\AppData\LocalLow\Harebrained Schemes\BATTLETECH
OSX: Macintosh HD > Users > [username] > Library > Application Support > Steam > steamapps > common > BattleTech > DumpBox
Linux: [Steam library folder]/steamapps/common/BATTLETECH/DumpBox

File(s) attached

If a save game was loaded at the start of the game session, upload it. Please make sure to upload the save game with the timestamp closest to when you loaded it.
Windows:
Steam: [Steam installation folder]\userdata[SteamID]\637090\remote\C0\SGS1
GOG: 'C:\Users\USER_ID\AppData\Local\GOG.com\Galaxy\Applications\50593543263669699\Storage\Shared\Files\C#\SGS#'
Vanilla:'C:\Users\USER_ID\AppData\LocalLow\Harebrained Schemes\BattleTech\C#\SGS#'
OSX:
Steam: Macintosh HD > Users > [username] > Library > Application Support > Steam > userdata > [SteamID] > 637090 > remote > C#> SGS#
GOG: Macintosh HD > Users > [username] > Library > Application Support > GOG.com > Galaxy > Applications > 50593543263669699 > Storage > Shared > Files > C# > SGS#
Vanilla: Macintosh HD > Users > [username]> Library > Application Support > unity.Harebrained Schemes.BattleTech > C# > SGG#
Linux:
Steam: /home/.steam/steam/userdata/[steamID]/637090/remote/C#/SGS#
GOG: /home/[username]/.config/unity3d/Harebrained Schemes/BATTLETECH/remote/C#/SGS#/
Vanilla: /home/[username]/.config/unity3d/Harebrained Schemes/BATTLETECH/remote/C#/SGS#/

File(s) attached

Attach screenshot / video
File(s) attached

Attachments

• Player.log
    32,8 KB · Views: 0
Upvote 0
The game hasn't changed for years, so I guess there must have been a Linux or other update that triggered this for you. We see the sound engine starting in that log.

Not really sure what to suggest, to be honest! When you did your reinstall, did you clear out the game folders manually before installing again?
~/.config/unity3d/Harebrained Schemes/BATTLETECH/
[Steam library folder]/steamapps/common/BATTLETECH/
/home/.steam/steam/userdata/[steamID]/637090/

After moving any valued save games elsewhere first of course!

Yes, I'm aware the game hasn't changed in a while, that's why I'm so puzzled about this. I've even - looking for possible commonalities - tried another Paradox game I have currently installed - Pathfinder Kingmaker - and the sound does work as is, it's so specific to this game I really don't know what to look for.

I hadn't tried the manual erase of these folders, but I have uninstalled, deleted those folders, and reinstalled again just now and it's the same T_T.

tried another Paradox game I have currently installed - Pathfinder Kingmaker
I've never heard of that game but it's not a Paradox one!

What would be a better test is another Unity game. Of ours Cities Skylines 1 and Knights of Pen and Paper 2 would have the closest Unity versions I think.

If you don't have those, hopefully you have other publishers' Unity games in your library.

I've never heard of that game but it's not a Paradox one!

IDK why I thought it was! I just happened to have it installed and my brain confused it being a turn-based RPG with the shadowrun ones I also have.
What would be a better test is another Unity game. Of ours Cities Skylines 1 and Knights of Pen and Paper 2 would have the closest Unity versions I think.
It reproduces. Must be a unity thing, then?

Yes, something in your Linux setup has changed that affects sound in older Unity games. Maybe a pulseaudio/alsa thing? I'm a bit out of touch in this area, I have to admit!

Would you know the Unity version used in these games so I can try googling about it? Just "old unity games no audio" is getting me nowhere, and filtering by recent results (last month) doesn't help either T_T

CSL 1 uses Unity 5.6.7f1

I can't see any logs for KoPP2 , sorry.

Here's a wierd update: I plugged in the headphones for a call, forgot about them and played again the game: the audio works with USB headphones, but not with the displayport-driven speakers. And it used to work with the displayport-driven ones.

Reactions:
I was more keen on knowing the version for Battletech than KoPP
Oh, I didn't give that because it was in the log you already posted:
2018.4.2f1
So a bit newer than the CSL 1 version.

Here's a wierd update: I plugged in the headphones for a call, forgot about them and played again the game: the audio works with USB headphones, but not with the displayport-driven speakers. And it used to work with the displayport-driven ones.
I guess that uses a different driver? Are they both alsa or both pulseaudio?

I've had somewhat the same issue? Some moments are super soft, others BLAST like the audio banter onboard the Argo.

I've tried onboard audio, headphones, and even external speakers that come with their own digital-to-analogue converter built-in.

The only way I've gotten this to work with no issues was to force Proton to install and run the Windows version, then the sound worked as intended.

That being said, it would be nice for the native version to work as intended, but if it plays it plays, and I haven't noticed any differences between native and proton