• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

swilhelm73

Strong Badder then You
28 Badges
Mar 27, 2001
Visit site
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Pride of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 500k Club
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Victoria 2
  • Rome Gold
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
I was working on creating the Slavic Union as a Pagan Ilmenite when the Byzantine Empire made the mistake of taking one of the provinces I need.

In the war that followed I personally led my army against the Byzantine one which was...led by the Ballissa apparently.

I got the battlefield duel event and since my character is a whirlwind of death (thanks warrior lodge!) killed her and took her skull - my character's fifth such trophy.

Now several things here seem weird. Firstly Christian/Muslim female rulers shouldn't be engaging in personal combat (or probably any combat honestly) - especially when they are fighting pagans with concubinage.

Also, why didn't my character get the option to capture the Ballissa instead of killing her? Taking her as a concubine should have given a crazy amount of prestige and also potentially a male heir with a claim on the Empire....

The battlefield duel and the choice to make a battlefield sacrifice or capture the commander are two separate events.

Edit: even if you did capture her, you can't take rulers as concubines

It's also relatively accurate. Though they might not have actually donned armor and wielded weapons, women like Matilda of Tuscany and AEthelflaed of Mercia would actually lead their armies when they went off to battle.

And some women actually wore armor and wielded weapons, although most often didn't engage in close-quarters combat (some did!). Some sources down this link: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women_in_post-classical_warfare

I know a handful of male Emperor's led armies for Byzantium though it isn't clear which if any personally fought (well before Constantine XI Palaiologos at least though he didn't have much of a choice). I don't believe Irene, Zoe or Theodora ever led armies, let alone fought personally, themselves.