• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Vesuvius

Major
40 Badges
Feb 11, 2011
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Magicka 2
  • Magicka 2 - Signup Campaign
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Magicka
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
I'm no pro at PvP myself, but I've noticed a lot of people don't even have the basic counters down.

So let's start talking about them.

Some common attacks:
  • DDDDD (rock sniping). I have tried many different approaches to counter this but the only thing that works consistently is the simple shield(E). In theory you can also push them away but I've never really had a chance to do that. All versions of the shield will repel the rock, but you'll be pushed if you use the self shield. Once they lose their charge, there's not really any advantage for them.
  • RQRASE (ice wall of death). RASE gives you full immunity to this.
  • SDF, RDS (meteor spam). RASE or SAFE depending which one. You'll be fully immune. The lightning immunity isn't needed here but it doesn't hurt either.
  • FQAS, RSA (beams). Again, RASE and SAFE will give you full immunity depending on the beam type(for these two beams anyway). E is even better as it will explode the beam at their feet.
  • EDQQQ, QSD(water bombing). Use EDQ or RQQE. You won't get knocked back and you won't get wet.
  • Guns, D spam (small projectiles). Use ED or RQE. You won't get knocked back and your armor will tank the damage.

Now let's look at the drawbacks of each of these defenses:
  • E (simple shield). You'll be vulnerable to small projectiles, meteor spam, the ice wall of death, and water bombing. Since this is best against beams and rock sniping and those are mostly short range, it's generally a more long range defense. Meteor spam and IWD are the bigger threat here. IWD is a one hit kill, and meteor spam can kill in about a second.
  • RASE, SAFE (resistances). You'll be vulnerable to rock sniping, water bombing, small projectiles, and the element you're missing(fire or ice usually). Rock sniping is the biggest vulnerability here as it will just gib you. Water bombing is also a very serious threat if you have your back to a wall.
  • ED, EDQ, RQE, RQQE (physical barriers). You'll be vulnerable to meteor spam, the ice wall of death, rock sniping, and beams. Meteor spam is by far the greatest vulnerability here because your opponent can switch to it instantly once you're at the right range and SDF will kill you in about a second. IWD is also quite dangerous, especially if they already have it imbued.

I hope this helps people improve their PvP game.

One counter me and White Bear came up with is the Shield snipe counter attack.
see you can make a shield wall and DDDDD your own snipe, now you have the upper hand unless they counter with the same and then it becomes a stalemate.

first mage waits on spawn with DDDDD charged, you spawn and errect your barrer and spam space to charge it up, they maintain it waiting for you to make a move or they attack the sheild.
here are your advantages.

1- Mage attacks your shield wastes his DDDDD charge and is vunrible to a counter attack, you run in for the kill and use choice attack to counter his/her ward.
2- Mage waits for your shield to die and attacks, you can play a game of tic tac toe in this case, however you know when your shield will fade he dosn't so charge your own DDDDD and wait patiently
3- as above, mage waits but charges his own shield and charges up his DDDDD attack, this is a risky counter but you can quickly dispers from your attack and run towards his shield and launch an earth or ice wall counter.

these tactics are not easy to do and take practice, saddly shield blocking isn't fun and can take a lot of time and patients in 1v1 matches, in 4v4 you're ok cos it's all about picking on the n00bs.

One counter me and White Bear came up with is the Shield snipe counter attack.
see you can make a shield wall and DDDDD your own snipe, now you have the upper hand unless they counter with the same and then it becomes a stalemate.

first mage waits on spawn with DDDDD charged, you spawn and errect your barrer and spam space to charge it up, they maintain it waiting for you to make a move or they attack the sheild.
here are your advantages.

1- Mage attacks your shield wastes his DDDDD charge and is vunrible to a counter attack, you run in for the kill and use choice attack to counter his/her ward.
2- Mage waits for your shield to die and attacks, you can play a game of tic tac toe in this case, however you know when your shield will fade he dosn't so charge your own DDDDD and wait patiently
3- as above, mage waits but charges his own shield and charges up his DDDDD attack, this is a risky counter but you can quickly dispers from your attack and run towards his shield and launch an earth or ice wall counter.

these tactics are not easy to do and take practice, saddly shield blocking isn't fun and can take a lot of time and patients in 1v1 matches, in 4v4 you're ok cos it's all about picking on the n00bs.

It's dangerous in team games as 2 mages can take you out if they're working together well.. first pops your shield and the second pops you immediately after. Of course you'd hope that one of your teammates was harrasing them if 2 of them are focused on you but that's not always the case.

zenstar said:
It's dangerous in team games as 2 mages can take you out if they're working together well.. first pops your shield and the second pops you immediately after. Of course you'd hope that one of your teammates was harrasing them if 2 of them are focused on you but that's not always the case.

shield walling would work diffrently in 2v2 hence i said 1v1, it's stalemate tactics.
2v2 on the other hand works on a few spells, see one can charge the sheild while the other charges the earth volly, but tbh i'd let them charge their stupid shield and run up at them with a embued volcano or frost fountain attack.

2v2 can work very well if you play Shepard & wolf, one def one offence.

shield walling would work diffrently in 2v2 hence i said 1v1, it's stalemate tactics.
2v2 on the other hand works on a few spells, see one can charge the sheild while the other charges the earth volly, but tbh i'd let them charge their stupid shield and run up at them with a embued volcano or frost fountain attack.

2v2 can work very well if you play Shepard & wolf, one def one offence.

The best is when 2 teammates try to both put up a shield in defence :) up & down & have a rock for your efforts :p

i think Rock kills should be nerfed in pvp, or least have a rock paper sissors style ward effect.
earth just implys spawn kill, or have it on the same rotation speed as a beam so you can't just roll your mouse around 180 n kill the spawn behind you.

i think Rock kills should be nerfed in pvp, or least have a rock paper sissors style ward effect.
earth just implys spawn kill, or have it on the same rotation speed as a beam so you can't just roll your mouse around 180 n kill the spawn behind you.

I'd like to see rocks have a big damage falloff over distance. Effective close range (where it's hard to fully charge up) but only average medium range (not instagib) and weak at long range (to the point where it's quicker to drop a self heal than to put a shield up in defence).
That would hopefully stop the rock sniping and also make the whole "can see further up than down" thing less of an advantage (ever been rocked sniped from below whe you couldn't even see the enemy?)

rock snipping is anoying and at most i never see the actual rock flying at me, i just see my mage explode with no reason for it. o_O