• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Kaephei

Recruit
26 Badges
Dec 7, 2019
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Prison Architect: Psych Ward
  • Prison Architect
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Victoria 2
  • Magicka
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II
Hey guys!

I've submitted a ticket about this but I was told to post up on here as they have no idea what's happening.

I don't have the option to baptise my children on any playthrough even with Holy Fury installed.
I've tried across about eight games, it works on the historical characters (EG: When I did a Plantagenet playthrough) but any other time it doesn't work! I don't even get the option for it but other characters get baptised throughout the game. I can also have a coronation but no baptisms.

I've checked that:
- I was Catholic
- There was a pope
- The children were under 2 (I tried with all my kids from newborn until adulthood but nothing).

I've even tried uninstalling and reinstalling both the game and the DLC's, I've deleted saves and verified integrity of the game files (I play on Steam).

The bug keeps coming up even across different eras.

Does anyone know a fix? It's stupid that I paid so much for something that doesn't work properly.

Thanks!

P.S:
The DLC I have installed are:
- African Portraits
- Conclave
- Holy Fury
- Mediterranean Portraits
- Norse Portraits
- Ruler Designer
- Sons of Abraham
- South Indian Portraits
- Old Gods
- Reapers Due Content Pack
- Way of Life

Do you not even get the option if you right-click your children?

At this point, an affected save game would be a great help. That way we can take a look at it and try to figure out what is going on. :)

Okay, first off, you've submitted this post to the CK2 subforum, not the Bug Reports subforum of the CK2 subforum, so this post probably needs to be submitted there instead.

Next, it appears that nobody has ever listed the requirements for baptism on the wiki, so I'll do so here:
1. You need to be a Christian with a title of higher tier than DUKE (so kings and emperors, but not petty kings).
2. You can't organize a baptism with the Incapable trait.
3. You can't be excommunicated and have either a religious head or a bishop of {COUNT tier or higher, cardinal status, or antipope}, or alternatively be a member of the satanists (can be excommunicated if a satanist)
4. You can't currently have a child with one of the baptized traits.
5. The child must be your current heir and less than 2 years old.

I previously did not know about the 4th or 5th requirements, and I might be misreading the 5th requirement (found in Crusader Kings II/events/HF_baptism_events, starting from line 7472)
The 2 years old part isn't mentioned in the code, but it was talked about in one of the dev diaries for Holy Fury last year. Now, if I've interpreted the code correctly, this means you only have a 2 year window to baptize your heir, and not his/her younger siblings if you do choose to baptize your current heir (suppose you're on agnatic-cognatic succession and you have a girl first, chances are you want to wait for your first son to be given the sumptuous baptism, not your daughter).

Now, if you have a save where you are a King or higher tier, aren't incapable, aren't excommunicated (or are a satanist), have no children with the baptized trait, and have an heir that is less than 2 years old, and still can't right-click your child's portrait to "Organize a Sumptuous Baptism" (or something like that), then you have proof of a bug and should submit it to the Bug Reports section.

"Does anyone know a fix? It's stupid that I paid so much for something that doesn't work properly."
Really? You bought Holy Fury just for the baptism mechanic? Don't complain about price when a good number of features of Holy Fury do work (although admittedly, a few of them don't work as intended).

TL;DR: Requirements to organize a baptism are pretty strict, as it turns out.

4. You can't currently have a child with one of the baptized traits.
5. The child must be your current heir and less than 2 years old.

I previously did not know about the 4th or 5th requirements, and I might be misreading the 5th requirement (found in Crusader Kings II/events/HF_baptism_events, starting from line 7472)
The 2 years old part isn't mentioned in the code, but it was talked about in one of the dev diaries for Holy Fury last year. Now, if I've interpreted the code correctly, this means you only have a 2 year window to baptize your heir, and not his/her younger siblings if you do choose to baptize your current heir (suppose you're on agnatic-cognatic succession and you have a girl first, chances are you want to wait for your first son to be given the sumptuous baptism, not your daughter).

The "one child policy" and current heir requirements are only for the pop-up event to baptize your child. For the right-click decision those two don't matter. See the decision give_child_special_baptism in decisions\HF_baptism_decisions.txt (starting at line 396).

Now, if you have a save where you are a King or higher tier, aren't incapable, aren't excommunicated (or are a satanist), have no children with the baptized trait, and have an heir that is less than 2 years old, and still can't right-click your child's portrait to "Organize a Sumptuous Baptism" (or something like that), then you have proof of a bug and should submit it to the Bug Reports section.

It can also be as simple as the baptizer being blocked. The script checks for the block_general_event_trigger on him.

"Does anyone know a fix? It's stupid that I paid so much for something that doesn't work properly."
Really? You bought Holy Fury just for the baptism mechanic? Don't complain about price when a good number of features of Holy Fury do work (although admittedly, a few of them don't work as intended).

It's stupid for a feature of a paid product not to work, regardless of if it's minor or not. He has every right to expect every feature to work on a product that he paid for.

That being said, in this case I suspect that it's not at all a bug but rather something intended, but we can see for sure if he gives us a save game to look at. :)

The "one child policy" and current heir requirements are only for the pop-up event to baptize your child. For the right-click decision those two don't matter. See the decision give_child_special_baptism in decisions\HF_baptism_decisions.txt (starting at line 396).
When I was looking for the baptism decision, I also first thought it was this one. Upon closer inspection, I'm 99% sure the decision in HF_baptism_decisions is only for the mass conversion that pagans can request from top-tier landed christians in other realms.

Edit: went to specific line, and well, I guess I'm wrong

Thanks for the info on CK2 Baptisms. I've never been able to get to this to work either. I suspect the issue is that I keep forgetting to click on my child while they are still an infant, or I click, but I have one of those "already busy" events going on that blocks taking the decision.

No, but it *does* add a few different requirements:
In addition to being higher tier than DUKE tier, not incapable, and either Christian or a Satanist,
1. You must be independent (So a king under an emperor, such as the King of Bohemia in the HRE cannot Organize a Sumptuous Baptism)
2. Your title can't be a vice-royalty (which is extremely redundant with the previous requirement)
3. You and your child cannot be prisoners and must be within diplo range (which makes sense, really)

The first condition disproves my current counterexample I have in a save, since I'm playing as a King under an Emperor.

That "no available clergy" thing is the absolute worst heh. But if you are king tier or higher the only real problem besides that is money. I've had multiple children baptized as @Karlington suggested one can.

The decision to baptize your child should really be an important decision on the intrigue menu, so you get an icon when it is available. I nearly always forget to take the decision, as there's always something else I'm focused on.

Last edited:
The decision to baptize your heir should really be an important decision on the intrigue menu, so you get an icon when it is available. I nearly always forget to take the decision, as there's always something else I'm focused on.

Indeed it should, afterall back in the CKII-era not being baptized was viewed as a certain trip to hell after you die regardless of what life you had lived.

Indeed it should, afterall back in the CKII-era not being baptized was viewed as a certain trip to hell after you die regardless of what life you had lived.

The "sumptuous baptisms" are for special baptisms by VIP which give bonus traits. Other Christians are considered baptized, but by a normal priest and so don't get a trait for it (i.e. it has no game-technical effect).

That being said, I agree that...

The decision to baptize your child should really be an important decision on the intrigue menu, so you get an icon when it is available. I nearly always forget to take the decision, as there's always something else I'm focused on.

...since the sumptuous baptisms do have a game-technical effect.

The decision to baptize your child should really be an important decision on the intrigue menu..

As any other you can turn it into an important decision in the menu yourself or did you mean by default ?

As any other you can turn it into an important decision in the menu yourself or did you mean by default ?
I meant by default. I'm not sure if you can have character interactions pop up as an icon/important decision..

I believe you can only do that for Intrigue decisions, and not for targeted decisions, so we can't do that here.

You can do it by editing the game files, but of course that would disable achievements. :(

I meant by default. I'm not sure if you can have character interactions pop up as an icon/important decision..

I believe you can only do that for Intrigue decisions, and not for targeted decisions, so we can't do that here.

You can do it by editing the game files, but of course that would disable achievements. :(

The talk wasn't about the decision then, but a diplomacy option ? Oh..
Misunderstood it then apparently. I didn't even know that there are two different ones.
Sorry.

The talk wasn't about the decision then, but a diplomacy option ? Oh..
Misunderstood it then apparently. I didn't even know that there are two different ones.
Sorry.

It's ok. :)

They're both called decisions - Intrigue decision vs. targeted decision, specifically. Diplomacy options would be something like declaring war, arranging marriages, etc.

I'm not saying this to pick on your language, but just to inform. You'll see this kind of vocabulary used a lot on the forums, so it helps to understand people when you know this. :)