• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Brigadier Wills - If you do too much AAR-reading at work you might end up having to get your boss hooked as well, like Draco Rexus. :D

Draco Rexus - maybe we can get Brigadier Wills to join AARA. He seems like a likely candidate. ;)

Storey - Thank you. I have been looking forward to the holidays for a while now.

HoldFast - Thanks for reading. For the manufactories, I simply spent several years spending very little thus being able to save up my census taxes. At the point where the AAR is right now England was making about 300 ducats per year in census taxes. Take away expenses for military maintenance and perhaps add money for a gift to the state and within 5-6 years you can easily build one maybe even two manufactories. Refineries are a wonderful boost to your trade investments plus they increase your trade efficiency by 1% each. My goal is to have 8 refineries by the end of the century. Possibly also a second FAA.

Part V (1451-1455) – Henry VI (act ii)

Following the highly successful conclusion of the war which netted England Flanders and Orleanais and a vassalized Brabant, Richard, the Duke of York asked for Henry’s leave to return to England to oversee domestic matters on his estates. Henry thought this was a tremendous opportunity to appoint Edmund Beaufort, Duke of Somerset, as Regent in France. Somerset had been in Henry’s camp for a very long time and was one of his most trusted advisors. From Henry’s point of view he was being very astute because he was finally starting to catch on to the way that the political winds were blowing at home. Therefore, he wanted to be able to keep a closer eye on York, while giving one of his own men the opportunity to achieve success in France, and by proxy gaining political capital for himself. Unfortunately for him Henry had misread the situation. He failed to consider why York would ask to come home; that is, Henry failed to consider a possible alternative reason for York’s desire to return to England. As it happened, York had already sparked some dissent among various nobles and now he wished to capitalize on his popularity from the wars in France and fan the spark into open rebellion. After all, the House of York was the second most powerful house in England. With enough support he was sure he could gain the throne. Furthermore, by sending Somerset to France, Henry substantially diminished his own power in England right when it was the most needed.

Somerset began his role as Regent of France favorably. Just two months after the peace treaty a joint legation from Lorraine and Savoy arrived to negotiate the inclusion of Savoy into the alliance between Lorraine, Strassburg, England and the Palatinat. Lorraine was the alliance leader but England was by far the most powerful alliance member. Somerset had been given the authority to make this decision on his own and he gladly agreed to let Savoy into the alliance. This meant that the southeastern flank was secure.

During the summer of 1451 there were a few events that had the overall effect of slightly destabilizing the country. The ruler of Provence died and the French king was next in line to the throne. With Henry VI’s blessing as liege lord the succession was secured. There were rumblings over this from the Yorkist faction since it meant that France now had an expanded powerbase and might therefore prove more difficult to annex when the time came for that. Nobody doubted that that was the eventual goal. Henry tried to use this incident as an excuse to curtail the power of the aristocracy (DP slider: Aristocracy -1). But this was not the end of it. French rulers had for a long time attempted to expand the borders of France and as France now all of a sudden had a province with a port they declared war on Brittany. Somerset was at a dilemma for this meant war between two of England’s vassals. The incident gave England an excuse to attack France but he decided to do nothing. After all, the two countries would probably not be able to achieve anything. English lack of decisive action was also the likely cause of the Burgundian annexation of Luxembourg diplomatically just a few weeks later. Onetime allies were now mortal enemies and it was just a question of time before the next confrontation would occur. Thus, Burgundian expansion was observed warily.

Although Henry was pacifist by nature it did not prevent him from trying to extend English power and prestige. In a move that was designed to tie the fates even closer of the two countries he arranged for a marriage between a cousin from a lesser branch of his House with a noble of high standing in Lorraine. It soon became apparent that Henry had bigger ambitions for he shortly thereafter invited the ruler of Lorraine where he offered stronger English protection for Lorraine than was inherent in the alliance by letting Lorraine become an English vassal. But Henry was not skilled in charming other rulers and his clumsy way of presenting the proposal put off his guest, to put it mildly. Lorraine was to remain merely an English ally.

The coming year saw quite a bit of turmoil in central Germany as Hessen appeared to make a bid for regional domination. Hessen, already consisting of Hessen and Mainz forcefully annexed Kleves and less than a year later Cologne. Somerset regarded this with some worry as it meant a new powerful and expansionistic neighbor, but he also worried over what the response of other European powers might be and how it would affect the balance of power. On the other hand turmoil often brought opportunities to those who were shrewd enough to use them. These wars must also have upset some of the trade in northeastern Germany because the center of trade in Courland was shut down and a new one was established in Danzig.

In the summer of 1453 Henry embarked upon a journey throughout his realm in France. It was good for the various parts of the kingdom to receive a visit from the monarch. He arrived in Flanders and received a report on the state of affairs from the local magistrate.

Flanders_1452.jpg

Most people were unaware of the true purpose of the journey. Henry had decided to once again tie the states neighboring the southeastern French provinces closer to England. He first visited Savoy and introduced a young maiden who was from the Somerset House to the king. But the king of Savoy wanted a marriage that would be closer to the throne or there would be nothing at all. Henry left empty handed. Next Henry traveled to Lorraine. Lavish gifts were bestowed upon the court and large feasts were held in honor of the English state visit. After several months of celebrations and journeys throughout the lush valleys of Lorraine Henry finally brought up the subject of vassalization. But his skills at charming had not shown any marked improvement since the last time this matter was discussed. Once again, he left empty handed. Dejected, Henry returned to England having accomplished nothing, except for one thing: he brokered a white peace between France and Brittany.

Richard and the other Yorkists were naturally not slow in taking advantage of Henry’s failures. In November of 1454 there were peasant uprisings in Vendée and Champagne. Although nothing was conclusively proven everyone knew Richard had had a hand in these. But he deftly schemed and plotted. Two days after New Years Day in 1455 Richard, Duke of York, made his first open move to gain the English throne. He had managed to gain the support of several of the more important Houses in England. By doing this he ensured that he would be the new true power in England. The Wars of the Roses had begun.

Reading what a loser this Henry is, it might not be such a bad thing that Richard takes the throne...

Nice update.

I am rallying my support for Richard, Duke of York. Where do I send my troops? ;)

Grundius - Yup, I was quite angry when I looked through the monarch file and saw that I was stuck with such a loser for almost 40 years. But the ordeal is soon over...well, it's not like I haven't expanded. :D

Draco Rexus - There is a little place called Market Bosworth in England between Birmingham and Nottingham. Outside the town there is a field with the name of Bosworth Field. Go there. Your rightful king will expect you there in the spring of 1485.

Brigadier Wills - Now, now, is that the kind of thing a christian should say? ;) Well, his reign won't be for that much longer.

I will be out of town for a week celebrating Christmas. Probably I will find some time during this week to write another update so once I get back I will post it. My thought was to provide a historical description of the Wars of the Roses (what actually happened in real life), and then proceed to the AAR. Then you can see some differences in story adjustment. What do you think?

A historical comparision works for me... just to flavor the differences, so to speak :cool:

There is a little place called Market Bosworth in England between Birmingham and Nottingham. Outside the town there is a field with the name of Bosworth Field. Go there. Your rightful king will expect you there in the spring of 1485.

Sa-weet! Uh... do ya think I might be able to get a noble title or something for His Majesty for my support. I'm not looking fer much, you know, a Duchy or an Earldom? No? How 'bout a County? Still no? Ah... a job mucking His Majesty's stables? Yes? YEAH! :wacko: :D

Brigadier Wills:
I think I do need to join AAR Anonymous! ;)

Well sir, that is easily arranged! :D :D

Draco Rexus - Maybe you can be worked into the story somehow. :cool: Has Brigadier Wills joined the ranks of AARA yet, I wonder?

Brigadier Wills - Thank YOU! And...have you joined yet? ;)

von Loch Ness - Welcome aboard! Hope you enjoy it!

Part VI – Historical Interlude: The Wars of the Roses

What follows is not from the game but a synthesis of a few descriptions of the historical Wars of the Roses. Sources are given at the end of the passage.

The Wars of the Roses

Background

The Wars of the Roses can be traced back to the struggle for the throne of England between two cousins with the same grandfather. They were Henry Bolingbroke, son of John, Duke of Lancaster (fourth son of Edward III) and Richard II, son of Edward, the Black Prince (first son of Edward III). Edward III died in 1377, but since the Black Prince had died in 1376 the succession was not clear. Richard II was appointed as the new monarch but he was not a popular ruler. Contrary to his father Henry Bolingbroke did not support Richard II and Henry was exiled. But his father died early in 1399 and the same year Richard II went to Ireland with most of his supporters to quell a rebellion. Henry used this opportunity to return to England and seize the throne. This was met with some resistance but Parliament acquiesced mainly because Richard was so unpopular due to his arrogance. Richard was sent into captivity in Pontefract castle in Yorkshire, but some of his supporters failed in an attempt to murder the now Henry IV. Instead, Richard was quietly executed and died childless. It was this usurpation of the throne of someone with a weak claim from someone with a strong claim that can be said to be the strongest underlying reason for the Wars of the Roses.

It was Henry’s son Henry V that consolidated the Lancastrian possession of the throne. Henry V was a strong and very successful king and became extremely popular, especially after the resounding victory at Agincourt in 1415. He healed many of the fissures between the various branches of the royal family by granting numerous pardons. Unfortunately, he died young and his son Henry VI was a very weak ruler. It was Henry VI’s incompetence that provided the direct cause for the Wars of the Roses.

Henry VI was famous for his piety and spirituality but these qualities were not helpful to him as a monarch. He surrounded himself with advisors and appointed regents that were more interested in their own gain than preserving the strength of the Crown. In particular, the Hundred Years War was lost because one of Henry’s appointees in France had grossly mismanaged the English army. The nail in the coffin was Henry’s intermittent bouts of insanity, inherited from his grandfather Charles VI of France, which left him incapable of taking any action. The first instance of Henry’s insanity took place in 1453. Richard, Duke of York emerged as Henry VI’s main adversary. They were third cousins, with Richard having a stronger claim to the throne than Henry. Richard was a descendant of both Lionel of Clarence and Edmund of York, second and fourth sons of Edward III, respectively. Henry was the descendant of John of Lancaster, third son of Edward III. When Henry recovered from his paralyzing madness in 1455 Richard was thwarted in his ambitions and removed from the center of government. But Henry’s wife Margaret of Anjou was a very strong-willed and ambitious woman and politically adept. She conspired to reduce Richard’s assets and this move induced Richard to resort to armed conflict.

Armed Conflict

On May 22nd, 1455 the first battle of the war took place at St. Albans resulting in a Yorkist victory. The outcome was that Richard was reinstituted as Protector and his son was recognized as Henry VI’s heir. The latter part of the agreement was unacceptable to Margaret and she immediately began to raise more armed support.

In 1459 hostilities were resumed and in 1460 at the battle of Northampton the Lancastrians suffered a disastrous defeat. Richard of Warwick, “the Kingmaker”, led an army that captured Henry VI. Margaret escaped, raised an army in Wales and northern England. At the battle of Wakefield at the end of the year she managed to capture and behead Richard of York and the Earl of Salisbury. Furthermore, two months later she scored another victory on the battlefield against the Earl of Warwick at St. Albans, where she recaptured Henry VI.

But Richard of York’s son, Edward of March began pressing his claim to the throne immediately and gained it on March 4, 1461. Thus the stage was set for the battle of Towton on March 29, which was the largest battle on English soil in history with nearly 40,000 combatants involved. Edward, being a talented commander, ended up crushing the Lancastrians. Henry and Margaret fled to Scotland resulting in eight years of relative peace.

During his reign Edward IV antagonized Warwick “the Kingmaker” by marrying Elizabeth Woodville secretly. Warwick switched allegiances and began supporting the Lancastrian faction instead. An army under Warwick reinstituted Henry VI as monarch in the fall of 1470 but Edward was not so easily put aside. Half a year later he returned with 1,500 Burgundian troops and defeated and killed Warwick. Margaret was defeated at Tewkesbury on May 4, 1471, where her son was killed. Once Edward returned to London after Tewkesbury he executed Henry VI in the Tower of London and regained the throne. The remainder of Edward’s reign was one of peace but he died suddenly in 1483 leaving a 12-year old as heir, but Edward’s brother Richard seized the throne in a coup. The now Richard III imprisoned Edward’s two sons and likely had them killed.

Now, the Lancastrian faction set their hopes on Henry Tudor instead, who was the son of Edmund Tudor, illegitimate half-brother of Henry VI. The final clash took place at Bosworth Field on August 22, 1485. Henry vanquished Richard, who was killed when he led a cavalry charge and Henry gained the throne as Henry VII. Thus was established the Tudor dynasty.

Sources

Cheetham, Anthony. Edited by: Fraser, Antonia, “The lives of the Kings & Queens of England”, Weidenfeld and Nicolson 1975, ISBN: 0 297 832387.

Wikipedia excerpt on Wars of the Roses

Brief description of main players

Last edited:
Looks really good so far Lews! The War of the Roses can be a real pain for England...good luck!

Now that we have the historical base line, when do we get into the game aspects? Will Richard III keep the throne? I kinda hope so, I got to likin' him while reading Shakespeare. :)

Thanks for that lucid (well, as lucid as could be expected!) and fascinating background. So, as far as I can see, Henry Tudor had an extremely dubious claim to the throne, and only ended up on it by assassinating everyone in sight, right? I agree with Draco - let's have Richard III instead! ;)

Clearly the Yorkists deserve the throne! The only thing that speaks in favour of the Lancastrians is that they produced Henry V, but Henry VI was in fact no more than a puppet for his bearded wife! Besides, the Yorkists are supported by Burgundian troops, so they should win!

CatKnight - Thanks. Actually, the WotR wasn't a big deal, except for the stability drop. As you shall see, though, I used some artistic license in telling the story. ;)

Draco Rexus - Update...comin' right up, sir! Wasn't Richard III considered really evil since he was more or less blamed for murdering two kids? :wacko:

Farquharson - He didn't really assassinate people as far as I can tell, they died in battle or withdrew their claims once things got clear that Henry had a firm grip on the throne.

Grundius - A little biased in favor of...Bad boy Burgundy, are we? ;)

Happy New Year everyone!

Last edited:
Part VII – Henry VI (Act iii)

Wars of the Roses – Opening Moves​

Redrose_Lancaster.jpg
Whiterose_York.jpg

Lancaster vs. York

York’s skillful handling of the Burgundian wars during the 1440s had earned him much acclaim and goodwill both on English soil and also among French nobles. Another crucial aspect of his popularity was that he conveyed a sense of caring for the common man, English as well as French.

These two factors cannot be said to have been perceived by the people around him of Edmund Beaufort, Duke of Somerset, who had replaced York as Regent of France during the early 1450s. His lack of decisive of action after the succession in Provence and the annexation of Luxemburg by Burgundy was used by York to plant the idea that Somerset did not care about the well-being of the French. Thus, York was able to gain the support of most of the French nobles. On the home island the English nobles were fairly evenly split as to which faction to support, which is why the opening battles of the civil war was fought on French soil.

England_1455_1494.jpg

England during the civil war. Towton, Bosworth and Tewkesbury are marked.

Once news of the revolts in Vendée and Champagne spread to England, rumors abounded of who the instigator was. Historians have so far not been able to uncover any clear-cut evidence as to who the culprit was, but the circumstances and who stood to gain anything from these events clearly point towards Richard, Duke of York.

Just when the first trickles of news were received in England an army under the command of the newly appointed Clifford, loyal to Henry VI, was massacred in Dauphiné. The winter was particularly harsh and peasants familiar with every small road ambushed supply wagons. Once the army was sufficiently weakened a militia consisting of peasants and local nobles attacked and annihilated the army with its commander, in addition to Somerset who was on an inspection tour in southern France. Somerset was succeeded as Regent of France by his son, Henry Beaufort, now the new Duke of Somerset. Afterwards the militia simply melted away back into civilian disguise.

The country was thrown into complete disarray (Stability -2) causing the leadership to divert all funds towards maintaining order. These efforts paid off because within a year and a half it was considered much safer to travel through the country (Stability 0).

For Henry VI the first order of business was to put down the rebellions that had sprung up in France. He dispatched his armies and by the end of August both uprisings had been defeated. Although the army had handled the task relatively easily the King and nobles on both sides were shaken. For his part, York did not wish to have any more bloodshed, especially not English blood. Whether or not he had had a hand in the events in France he knew how to take advantage of them, that much is clear. It was around this time that he initiated another campaign to convince more English nobles of Henry’s unsuitability for the crown. In this he was highly successful as he managed to secure a parliamentary resolution declaring him Henry’s successor, instead of Henry’s son. By doing this he gained a mortal enemy in the form of Margaret of Anjou, Henry’s wife.

The turmoil in England did not go unnoticed in Europe. During the summer of 1456 Brittany once again made a bid for independence and broke her vassalization with England. Although Henry was a pacifist he had witnessed the successive breakdown in order and he decided to chastise Brittany – harshly. He was determined to bring Brittany back into the fold but (the new) Somerset sent word that the army needed until next spring to prepare and maneuver into position.

On July 1, 1457 war was declared on Brittany. English armies under Somerset immediately poured over the border and smashed the few troops Brittany had mustered. England was aided by the fact that during the fall the king of Brittany died and Artur III rose to the throne. This helped England not because he was a bad king but because a regime change always leads to vulnerability. His reign was to be short-lived because a year and a half later François II rose to the throne in his place – no doubt as a result of the turmoil caused by the war. After the initial battles only the cumbersome task of taking the enemy cities remained. This was completed by May 1459. The terms of the peace treaty were harsh: Brittany once again became an English vassal and Armor was ceded to England.

Around this time Mecklenburg and Austria declared war on Hessen, Bremen, Poland, Burgundy and Denmark. A year later Würzburg, Bavaria, Eire, Pommern, Holstein and Scotland declared war on Hessen, Bremen, Poland, Burgundy and Denmark. The expansion of Hessen at the expense of its neighboring duchies earlier in the same decade had now resulted in the explosion that the deceased Somerset had foreseen.

Meanwhile in England Richard, Duke of York, continued his scheming. But during the spring of 1460 he contracted a sickness from which he did not recover. He got progressively worse and passed away on August 5, 1460. He was succeeded by his oldest son Edward, who became the new head of the House of York. Edward proved to be a worthy successor to his father and managed to extract a guarantee from Parliament that he also inherited the succession to the throne that his father had received. Thus, he became the new target of Margaret of Anjou’s attacks, since she was determined that her own son should inherit the throne after her husband.

The uneasy peace that had existed quickly deteriorated into armed conflict. In January 1461 a battle was fought at Tewkesbury between forces under Edward and Henry. Edward won a marginal victory, but it was sufficient for him to march on London and claim the throne. He was crowned as Edward IV on March 5, 1461. However, Margaret of Anjou was a remarkably energetic woman (woefully ill-complemented by her husband) and raised support for her cause. Since Henry had simply been unseated the crowning of Edward sent shock-waves throughout the country and nobles flocked to the banner of either the red or the white rose. Matters came to a head on April 10, 1461 at Towton in central England where the largest battle on English soil to that date was fought – approximately 40,000 fighting men participated. Edward personally led his forces to a brilliant victory. But although most of the nobles among his enemies were slain, Henry and Margaret fled the battle with their son to Scotland. Still, Edward had consolidated his hold on the throne in a remarkably short time. Only time would tell what kind of a king he would be…

Towton_EdwardIV.jpg

Edward IV at Towton

Last edited:
Nice New Year's treat! Thanks!

As for:
Wasn't Richard III considered really evil since he was more or less blamed for murdering two kids?

Well... does that really matter? I mean, keeping in mind the figure cut by Shakespeare, he was sooo good at being evil you just had to like him, know what I mean? :D

He didn't really assassinate people as far as I can tell, they died in battle or withdrew their claims once things got clear that Henry had a firm grip on the throne.
Yes, sorry - I wasn't really paying attention to who was assassinating who! BTW I'm finding this highly educational AAR especially interesting because in Scotland we have the dubious privilege of being taught almost no English history whatsoever at school - Scottish and European history, yes, but what was going on in that mysterious country south of the border is anyone's guess. And people wonder why the Scots have such a strong sense of national identity! :D

Well, Happy Hogmanay to one and all! ;)