• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Northernwwater

General
3 Badges
May 26, 2016
I'm playing Netherlands. In 5 years or so my country gets overwhelmed by rebels, which I just let win and then my government switchs. Back and forth between Jacobins and reactionaries we go. At first I tried fighting ala EU4. Then I realized there were so many and the armies were so huge I did not stand a chance. So I just let things oscillate back and forth. Makes no sense to me.

What am I missing?

I'm guessing, but at some point you need to implement some reforms to satisfy the issues that the majority of the populace are demanding. I'm not sure that you are at a good point to even try it now. When the Jacobins take over, look to see what the majority of the people want implemented and then do so. It may calm things down long enough to allow you to stabilize your country a bit. If not, just rage-quit (a popular term in the newer games) and restart with new ideas to implement.

There may actually be a set of console commands that could help you out of your current predicament but I'm too long away from the game to remember. I've always been an advocate of new players learning how to utilize the console commands so they can cheat their way into learning how the game works. Probably because that is how I learned to play Victoria I. That and rage-quitting a lot (except I didn't get mad, I just kept getting better). ;)

I watched the reforms. I was not able to really take any action that I could see. Maybe I should have change ruling party earlier. Now after each revolutionary take over teh reforms are locked.

It may be too far gone then. Revolutions may be getting triggered by an inability to obtain goods rather than ideological reasons.

TBH, I find the game annoying. Not because of detail. I love the detail. It's the mystery. I see in many threads on here that no one seems to know how certain things work. It's like paradox kind of abandoned the game.

Do you know about the Wiki

And yes, Paradox has moved on from Vicky2. The last update (3.04) was a unexpected gift after development had long ended.