Artifacts, Knights, Ladies, Skills and Traits Guide

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Yay! My second sticky! Not bad for a non-moderator. To business:

Sir Gal - I've never seen the random quest "Champion" in my games. Both of those were Rightful/Old Faith though. I'm guessing some random quests require a certain morality score before they appear; in Sir Gal's case, he's a Christian knight, so only Christian kings have a chance to recruit him.

Leodegrance - I've read that some people can recruit him and some can't. I didn't seek help with the Dragon Heart battle - just charged straight in. I'll try replaying that bit to see if I can get him.

Sitcky was very much deserved.
I think your theory about sir Gal may be correct, I have only got the quest once, and it was during my very first playthrough ... as rightful christian. I had once, during a tyrant playthrough, got a quest to get "Morold", a tyrant warlord. And a few times, the Mad Knight Cedric. However, at the time, I didn't take note about the quests, and I have not received those quests in recent playthroughs.
The difficulty, I think, is that I suspect those quests stop triggering once your full round table is complete, AND that they are random AND that they have some more or less tricky prerequisites - morality, provinces owned, etc .. (I realize, among the heroes you listed, that I never got Catherine, probably because I tend to conquer both Mercia provinces late). Those days, with the DLC additional heroes and a knowledge of the game that can allow you to fill your round table quickly if you put your mind to it, you may not in a given playthrough get much of the "random" quests at all.

It’s true that you can recruit Leodegrance in The Dragon’s Heart quest but there is a very important condition: your hero has to be Christian. Without the correct morality he won’t join you. I tried it with Percivale (Christianity 10) and it worked. He went to the hermit and chose the right answer then he stayed with the ageless child for his help. After the battle Leodegrance joined the court.

Version 3.0 has been released!

I think your theory about sir Gal may be correct, I have only got the quest once, and it was during my very first playthrough ... as rightful christian. I had once, during a tyrant playthrough, got a quest to get "Morold", a tyrant warlord. And a few times, the Mad Knight Cedric. However, at the time, I didn't take note about the quests, and I have not received those quests in recent playthroughs.

I wanted to say Sir Gal can be gained as rightful old faith as well. I have gotten him that way a few times. I think it is just a rather rare event.

I was unable to get Sir Gal or Morold to appear - if anyone has a reliable method for making them show up, I'll give you full credit in Version 3.1.

About Sir Gal: The “Champion” quest will appear only if the “Knights of the Roundtable” objective is open at least for 6 years and you have maximum 7 heroes.

About Sir Morold: He can join you from the “Robber Night” quest and it will appear only if you have a stronghold at least for 3 years and you don’t have more than 4 heroes.

Neither of these quests depend on morality or faith.

The traits of the heroes:

Gal:
• Champion
• Righteous 8, Christian 4
• gpGal
• Adventuring 2, Fight 9, Reign 3, Leadership 3, Magic 2
• Artifacts: Phoenix Shield, Enchanted Ouch
• Skills: Blast 2, Cleave 3, Enchanted Armour 3, Magical Weapon 3, Enchanted Weapon 3
• Traits: Martial, Greedy, Stern, Thrifty

Morold:
• Warlord
• Tyrant 8, Faith 0
• gpMorold
• Adventuring 4, Fight 4, Reign 3, Leadership7, Magic 4
• Artifacts: Sword of Sharpness, Breastplate, Chest of the Black Knight
• Skills: Masterful Tactics 3, Liege 2, Logistic 2, Senechal 2, Victorious Army 2
• Traits: Malevolent, Chirurgeon, Stern, Dismounted Knight

Last edited:
Thanks for the update, I understand now why never run into those champions in my last games when I got them in the early games I played ("vanilla" KA ).

I think the primary culprit are the 2 DLC knights. By the time the primary conditions are verified for Morold (3 years with a stronghold), you have at the very least Kay, Balin/Balan, Gareth, Lucan and Alymere (possibly Mark, Brandelis ...), unless you (accidentaly or deliberately) miss one of the "main quest" Knights (like, refusing to hire Gareth). Which means that in a typical game with DLC, you'll have no chance for the second trigger (4 heroes max.) to be verified.
Gal has a little more "relaxed" schedule (7 knights max after 6 years of round table) but not that much.

It's not a major matter at all, but will there be any possibility on a future patch ro "relax" the triggers for those knight's recruitment (and possibly others), taking into account that nowadays, with KA collection and all, many people will play with the DLC anyway (no biggie if it's too much of a hassle, rare and obscure knights are OK too :) )?

Considering that the OP file has not been updated in quite some time, I ended up having to take my own notes on the DLC content. The only thing I cannot figure out is how the diplomacy heroes/randomly generated heroes are named... For example, Sir Morold for example (recruitable sage in Diplomacy), uses the 'Sorcerer' tooltip, but gpSorcerer does not affect him at all (but oddly enough script executes for it, there is something there)... gpSorcerer1/2/3/etc does not work either. Unique heroes like the Beowulf Warriors and the Welsh Druids are easy to figure out... just gp*their name* works fine.

at_armour_armourofgorlois
at_charm_bannerofgorlois
at_charm_ringofgorlois
+4000 HP
+6 Fight
+30 Mana Points
-40% Cooldown
+7 Leadership
+3 Reign
Hero Attacks +3 Opponents
+2 Spell Weaving Skill
+200 HP/killed opponent

at_armour_cloakofblindhermit
at_charm_ringofblindhermit
at_charm_staffofblindhermit
-60% Cooldown
+9 Magic
+3 Fight
+20 Mana
+2 Spell Weaving Skill
+30% Damage for all Spells

at_charm_amuletofsirmarrick
at_armour_plateofsirmarrick
at_weapon_swordofsirmarrick
+10000 HP
+2 Spell Weaving Skill
+9 Fight
+2 Cleave Skill
+30 Mana points
+1 Dragonstrike Skill
Hero Attacks +1 Opponent

Expansion Items (Wales):
Set -
at_charm_bookofdon
at_charm_braceletofdon
at_armour_diademofdon
+5 Research Points
+2 Magic
+10% Gold Income
+6 Leadership
+4 Reign
+1000 HP
-20% Recruitment Cost for Provinces
-30% Cooldown

at_armour_coroniaidhelmet
at_weapon_coroniaidhammer
+6000 HP
+5 Fight
Hero Attacks +1 Opponent
50 HP per killed opponent

at_armour_merlinscoronet
at_charm_merlinsnecklace
at_weapon_merlinsstaff
+3 Fight
+2 Mana/10 sec
+2 Sidhe Roads Skill
-30% Mana for Sidhe Spells
+7 Magic
+10% Damage for Sidhe Spells
-70% Cooldown
5 Mana per killed opponent
+30 Mana

at_armour_platemailofllyr
at_charm_ringofllyr
at_weapon_swordofllyr
+7 Fight
+3 HP/sec
+2 Defense
+2 Magic
+20 Mana
+2000 HP
+2 Regeneration Skill
-50% Defense for Enemies
-30% Attack Rate
50 HP per killed opponent

at_charm_taliesinscloak
at_weapon_taliesinsdagger
at_charm_taliesinsharp
+2000 HP
+3 Leadership
+2 Nightfall Skill
+2 Fight
+50 HP per killed opponent
+1 MP per killed opponent
+2 Magic
-40% Cooldown
+2 Sidhe Roads skill

No Set -
at_weapon_dragonfang
+4 Fight
+50% Magic Resistance to Hero's unit
+1 Cleave
+2 Spell Weaving

at_weapon_ghostaxe
+3 Fight
+50 HP/killed opponent

at_weapon_ghostblade
+2 Fight
+50 HP/killed opponent

at_charm_scepterofgorlois
+3 Leadership
+2 Fight

at_charm_tomeofthetribes
+5 Research Points

at_armour_warlockcloak
+2 Magic
+2000 HP
+50 HP/killed opponent
+3 Fight

Expansion Items (Saxon):
Set -
at_armour_armourofthegladiator
at_charm_beltofthegladiator
at_weapon_swordofthegladiator
+10000 HP
+5 Mana per killed opponent
+6 Fight
-30% Attack Rate
+200 HP per killed opponent

at_armour_cloakofnight
at_charm_scepterofdaylight
+2 Nightfall skill
+2 Daylight skill
+2 Reign
+3 Magic
+2000 HP
+2 Leadership
+3 Fight
+20 Mana

at_armour_crownofholyking
at_charm_mantleoftheholyking
at_charm_scepteroftheholyking
+4000 HP
+9 Christianity to the Hero
+30 Mana Points
+200 HP/kill
+3 Magic
+3 Leadership
-30% Mana for Christian Spells
+3 Fight
-40% Cooldown
-30% Attack Rate

at_armour_crownofthenorthernwarlord
at_charm_necklaceofthenorthernwarlord
+7 Leadership
+6 Fight
+2000 HP

at_weapon_flailofthewolflord
at_armour_shieldofthewolflord
+4 Christianity to the Hero
+5 Fight
-30% Attack Rate
+5000 HP
+30 Mana

at_charm_theoldertwin
at_charm_theyoungertwin
+5 Magic
-45% Cooldown
+50 Mana

No set -
at_armour_amberplate
+2 Defense
+2 Fight
-50% Defense for Enemies of hero

at_weapon_axeofysbadadden
-50% Defense for Enemies of hero
+3 Fight
Hero Attacks +1 Opponent

at_weapon_berserkersaxe
+1 Fight
+200 HP per killed opponent
-30% Attack Rate

at_armour_crystalplate
+2 Leadership
+2 Magic
+2000 HP

at_armour_dragonslayersplate
+2 Fight
+50% Magic Resistance
+2000 HP

at_weapon_druidsblade
+1 Fight
+1 Mana 10/sec
+1 Magic

at_armour_fomorianplatemail
+3000 HP
+200 HP/killed opponent

at_armour_goldenplate
+2 Fight
+20 Mana

at_weapon_gryphonridersspear
-50% Defense for the enemies of the hero
+50% Magic Resistance
+2 Fight

at_armour_leatheroftheliegelord
+6 Reign

at_armour_mageplate
+1000 HP
+2 Magic
+20 Mana

at_charm_necklaceofmagi
+10 Mana Points
-15% Cooldown
+3 Magic

at_charm_ringofguardians
+2 to Summon Guardian
+20 Mana
+3 Fight

at_armour_shieldofbagdemagus
+3 Fight
+6000 HP
+200 HP/killed opponent

at_armour_silverchainmail
+1000 HP
+1 Fight
+1 Magic

at_weapon_warlordssword
-10% Recruitment Cost for Hero's Provinces
+2 Leadership
+2 Fight

Spells:
Berserker
Heavenly Sword
Mass Healing
Flamewall
Invite Seelie Warriors
Invite Unseelie Warriors
Arcane Rejuvenation
Druidic Lore
Spirit Tentacles
Summon Ghost Wolves
Blazing Trap
Constant Resistance
Mass Slow
Fire Rain
Blood of Beowulf
Flare of Resistance
Summon Guardian
Summon Wyrmlings
Summon Fire Wyrm
Summon Obsidian Wyrm

1) I said in the first post that my guide was only for the original campaign. I never even attempted to write a guide for the expansions; if you want to, please do so.

2) The guide was last updated a little over a month ago, that's not that long.

3) I already have the Gorlois, Hermit and Sir Marrick item sets in the guide already, but thanks anyway.

Seems like an odd decision to include only the original campaign's content and not the expansions...

Fun fact: The AI pulls in about two times as much gold, and three times as much food, as human-controlled provinces. The AI also is able to recruit units starting at level 5.

In my game, King Edward under West Marcia was pulling in, from his one province, 22167 Gold and 34609 Food. By comparison, my most productive province, Dumnonia, was only pulling in 8934 Gold and 9399 Food. It is currently fiefed by Sir Bedevere, whom has 'Relentless' perk.

Last edited:
Version 3.1 has been released!

...Fun fact: The AI pulls in about two times as much gold, and three times as much food, as human-controlled provinces. The AI also is able to recruit units starting at level 5...

What difficulty setting were you using?

Last edited:
...Would love if there was a way to figure out the internal names (gpKay, gpMorold, etc) of the generic heroes in the DLC... Especially the ones you recruit through diplomacy.

I'm not sure, but I think those knights are randomly-generated.

The knights you get from Christian/Sidhe factions are randomly generated, but the knights on the 'Hero' diplomacy screen are not, the same ones spawn every game under the same rulers.

PS: Magical Balance tooltip is wrong, it says you only lose 115 - 15/lv mana, but in reality it is 115% - 15% mana!

Last edited: