• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Matthias_Wlkp

Major
30 Badges
Sep 9, 2014
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Magicka
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Semper Fi
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
I started as Werner von Habsburg in 1066, got my Duchy, went somewhat pious route - choosing traits giving piety. I started to look around for easy conquests and I noticed, that when asking for a claim from the pope:

Base reluctance: -50
Barely a Duchess: +20
Woman: +50
Child: +25

(going by memory, for child and duchess, could have been the other way round)

Therefore as long as the Pope even remotely likes you, for ~300 Piety you can have almost any Ducal Claim, while for ~150 Piety any county claim, as long as the target is a child or a woman.

My ruler died quite quickly so I got his son, Otto, to rule since he was 15 for ~55 years. Here is the effect:

E5522416800ADE3BAA063407B513F9F1D472EDCE

For 300 gold you can get 100 piety for donating to a holy order, so you can get that piety going quickly.

This is inside HRE, it's still there (alt click on HRE, realm view)

Haven't these same claim modifiers been in the game since original release? AFAIK, the only change they recently made is to make the modifiers more visible and being able to right-click a portrait.

Haven't these same claim modifiers been in the game since original release? AFAIK, the only change they recently made is to make the modifiers more visible and being able to right-click a portrait.
I literally never saw the pope willing to grant me a claim or invasion before 3.0 except against excommunicated targets, and often not even then. He's definitely been made more willing to do it.

The addition of the new interface where you can see the list of all titles he's willing to give a claim for also makes it a lot easier than just having to guess. (But I found myself relatively successful just by guessing too, so that change isn't all.)

excommunicated persons does not even count when you want a claim from the pope.
i think being a woman is worse than being a kinslayer.

in a game MP game i was able to make three claims, one duchy and two counties in a row. Just got enough easy piety and money from a crusade. I am not sure if they changed the numbers or only the visibility of the option.
it is not very historic that the pope can give out carte blanche.
creating claims with a chancellor, marriage game, killing somebody is much harder than just "buying" a claim. it feels wrong