Are north and south american tribes worth playing currently?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Jeankazuhiza

Captain
83 Badges
Sep 28, 2009
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
I know that Aztecs, Mayans and Inca are receiving their own mission trees which i think a great thing.

But i want to know your perceptions about the other native american nations, because i tried with the Federations, and frankly, i don't like it at all. (in one of my games, i had the Potiguara Federation (it looked horrible because it ended being "The Potiguara Federat" or something like that), not to mention that the choices for logos... my feel is that they don't fit at all for a native american flag, too bad that there isn't a choice to keep the flag or at least a flavour name for an federation that existed (Iron Confederation out of an example in case someone plays with the Assinibone).

Tell me what's on your mind and thank you.

I have had some really fun North American runs like Onondaga -> Iroqouis. As for the South American tribes, they're so let down that no one would even notice, if they disappeared, they've received 0 favour over the years.

Aztec, Maya, Inca, other North American tribe as a horde, or as a Federation.

That’s 5 different ways to play the game, all of them radically different from each other. To me that’s plenty of content and very worthy of my playtime.

I have had some really fun North American runs like Onondaga -> Iroqouis. As for the South American tribes, they're so let down that no one would even notice, if they disappeared, they've received 0 favour over the years.
If that happens, i'll be waiting for EUV or whatever it is.
Aztec, Maya, Inca, other North American tribe as a horde, or as a Federation.

That’s 5 different ways to play the game, all of them radically different from each other. To me that’s plenty of content and very worthy of my playtime.
If some changes are done, such as the chance of keeping the flag or limiting the logos and colors to something that a native american of that time could use in the moment of creation of a flag or unique names to the federation... maybe i would change my mind.

Playing west of the Mississippi was rather fun and different when I played tribes like the Navajo and Comanche but the fun quickly ends whenever the Europeans start colonizing because there's literally nothing you can do to defend yourself and colonizers become hostile and get claims that don't border you like claims on gold provinces. I'd recommend playing with extended timeline so you can focus on migrating longer to stack your development. View attachment IMG20231016015307.jpg
And even if you manage to get to the government reform to get you on the same tech it will not work like this example where I border Portugal and it wants to to get a Native American instead. Only way I could see someone having fun against colonizers would be to create a custom nation like a pirate nation
View attachment IMG20231016195758.jpg

I had a lot of fun playing Iroquois. I tried some of the other North American tribes, but I found those starts incredibly difficult, after some early success I ended up getting beaten up over and over again by the Europeans once they showed up. Still a pretty fun challenge, definitely different than any other start.

There's a lot of weird mechanical jank though. Native development and migration have weird bespoke systems that don't work like anything else in the game, and then later on if you're successful your expansion is limited because you can't get colonial nations in the Americas (obviously), but you can't get Trade Companies either, so no extra merchants.

East coast of North America is fun to play in current patch.

However, plays in South America outside the Andes are a complete waste of time, the region was forsaken by the devs and never received a dedicated update since El Dorado.

• 2Like
Reactions:
East coast of North America is fun to play in current patch.

However, plays in South America outside the Andes are a complete waste of time, the region was forsaken by the devs and never received a dedicated update since El Dorado.
Something that i really consider an lack of respect, since i wanted to play as the Mapuche.

Well, it seems that i'll be way more inclined to wait for EUV or whatever it is.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Something that i really consider an lack of respect, since i wanted to play as the Mapuche.

Well, it seems that i'll be way more inclined to wait for EUV or whatever it is.
I really hope America will be more included in EU5 but we have to remember EUROPAUniversalis as the name suggests was targeted for Europe and EU4 is 10 years old.

Just like City Skylines a lot has happened and evolved for the game in a decade. Unlike City Skylines which was 90% made by independent unpaid modders, EU4 DLCs and content was mostly made by the actual developers and I have faith EU5 launch will be much better than City Skylines 2.

I can see EU5 being much more global than just Europe based. The earlier date in 1356 will give more time to the American tribes, a smaller Ottoman and Castile and an interesting situation for China and Japan, mamluks( which means slave) will be in india. The Aztecs are on the rise in Mexico and Incas in south America so there will be some content for most regions worldwide.

Last edited:
I really hope America will be more included in EU5 but we have to remember EUROPAUniversalis as the name suggests was targeted for Europe and EU4 is 10 years old.

Just like City Skylines a lot has happened and evolved for the game in a decade. Unlike City Skylines which was 90% made by independent unpaid modders, EU4 DLCs and content was mostly made by the actual developers and I have faith EU5 launch will be much better than City Skylines 2.

I can see EU5 being much more global than just Europe based. The earlier date in 1356 will give more time to the American tribes, a smaller Ottoman and Castile and an interesting situation for China and Japan, mamluks( which means slave) will be in india. The Aztecs are on the rise in Mexico and Incas in south America so there will be some content for most regions worldwide.
I agree, maybe it will be no longer known as Europa Universalis... but it may take another name, that's for sure.

Reactions:
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
I agree, maybe it will be no longer known as Europa Universalis... but it may take another name, that's for sure.
I highly doubt they will given the popularity of the EU franchise and how global EU4 has become. Maybe after EU5 they might release another game franchise with different time dates like they did with Imperator Rome