• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

mise0815

Private
16 Badges
Apr 19, 2024
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus

Information​

When reporting a crash, stability or performance problems, please ensure that you have the files ready for submission​

[CLICK] I understand

Required​

Summary​

Application crashes very frequently

Steps to reproduce​

Unforeseen in all situations. Whether accelerated or normal. Whether with or without mods.

Expected Result​

Smooth gameplay without game crashes

Actual Result​

The game crashes regularly during gameplay. Sometimes 5 minutes pass, sometimes only 2.

Game Version​

1.1.1f1

Affected Feature​

• Gameplay

Platform​

• Steam

Save Game​

View attachment Hartiwillen.cok

Crash Dump and Logs​

View attachment DxDiag.txtView attachment Player.log

Additional Information​

Additional Information​

There is already a 3-day old ticket about this issue. I would like to mention at this point that the operating system, general drivers or hardware can be excluded here. Everything was reinstalled during the diagnosis and the game was already running on a Windows 11 version that had been cleaned with sfc and dism.exe and had no other apps. The CPU was tamed in the BIOS according to Intel's specifications and the graphics card normally runs ideally. HW Info says everything is excellent. Only the evaluation of the graphics card "3d" shows an unpronounceable number in HW Info during the game phase of Cities Skylines 2.
Furthermore, Windows Update was run and a winget for all tools was run via CMD. All drivers should be up to date.

Screenshot or Video​

Upvote 0
Are there any crash dump files in \AppData\Local\Temp\Colossal Order\Cities Skylines II\Crashes (To see the AppData folder you’ll need to enable View Hidden Items in File Explorer) bigger than 0 bytes/ if so please attach them here, thanks.

Are there any crash dump files in \AppData\Local\Temp\Colossal Order\Cities Skylines II\Crashes (To see the AppData folder you’ll need to enable View Hidden Items in File Explorer) bigger than 0 bytes/ if so please attach them here, thanks.
on April 12th a dmp file was written. The solution here was to delete a DLL and replace it with Steam. No new dmp files since then, no.

Wow. What DLL was that please, deleted from where?

wow. I can't remember exactly what the DLL file was called. unityplayer.dll? But this information isn't necessary because, as mentioned, the game was reinstalled during the ticket processing and ALL temp files were uninstalled! I would have given you the information if it was still there.

Today I changed some settings in the game according to the optimization specifications:

"14648080779538-Cities-Skylines-2-Our-Guide-to-Optimizing-Performance"

Previously I played with default settings without success.

In addition, I managed the 3D settings locally in the Nvidia control panel, added the cities2.exe, set all settings to Nvidia default and fixed the maximum frame rate to 60fps.

Important: The game can now be played stably for a significantly longer time and no longer crashes after 5 minutes but within a period of 1-2 hours.

Based on these findings, I subjected my GPU to a long load test. No failures or increased temperatures after one hour of testing.

Do you need more information? Can I provide any files?

• 2Like
Reactions:
Unfortunately, the crashes to the desktop still exist even after patch 1.1.2f1.

Furthermore, no activity in the game can be linked to the crashes.

Sometimes it even happens when you "fly" over the city and just look.

Task Manager does not show any spikes before, during or after the crash in the performance overview. Furthermore, 100% hardware utilization cannot be seen.

Are there any other suggestions to stabilize the game through graphics or other settings?

Are there any suggestions to trigger or limit the error?

If you have a 13th or 14th generation Intel CPU, they are known to have a fault if they are pushed in multi-core mode. Try installing Intel Extreme Turning Utility and taking down the core ratios a touch (3 for P and E cores). You can also try a stress test on AVX2 using this facility. Worked for me!

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
If you have a 13th or 14th generation Intel CPU, they are known to have a fault if they are pushed in multi-core mode. Try installing Intel Extreme Turning Utility and taking down the core ratios a touch (3 for P and E cores). You can also try a stress test on AVX2 using this facility. Worked for me!
More detail on this issue fromhere:

Thanks for your help!

Yes, it is a 14th generation CPU.
This was tamed in the BIOS according to Intel's maximum values.
In my opinion, the system is running very well.

Based on the advice, I have also reduced the core ratios by 3 on all P- and E-Cores.
First in the "Intel ETU" and after another crash of Cities2.exe also fixed again via the BIOS. (which is normally overwritten by the ETU?)

Unfortunately the error still occurs.

Referring to the linked article, there are no "automatic" settings in the BIOS for my voltages. According to the HW monitor, the power consumption is also around 230 watts max.
Cities2.exe was also run with the setting "AVX2 Ratio Offset to 10" and crashed after the described time.
In the same way, I can't notice any thermal throttling during the stress test phase or in the game Cities2.exe.
Just a very high CPU utilization

I'm really wondering if it could be a thermal or other hardware problem.
The crashes usually happens after 2 1/2 hours. And before the settings (mentioned above) were set, it crashed within 15 minutes.
However, graphical settings were mainly set here.

The hardware should also be at temperature for a long time after 2 hours of play. Recordings during the game even confirm this.

Attached is the AVX2 stress test.

Attachments

• AVX2.png
    AVX2.png
    77,4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Here is another recording. In the end, the load drop that can be seen is caused by the crash of Cities2.exe.
Unfortunately, I don't see any hardware issues. No Thermal throttling, nothing.

In which direction should I think if the crash can be delayed by game settings, but at the same time various tests on all of my hardware show me no abnormalities?

Attachments

• ETU_view.png
    ETU_view.png
    141,1 KB · Views: 0
FYI this issue is nothing to do with thermal throttling, which in any case would only slow the game not crash it.

Does this happen to be an ASUS machine? If so they have an updated bios that addresses this issue. I haven't heard that other affected manufacturers (eg MSI) have done this, as yet anyway.

I have an MSI z790 motherboard installed. The BIOS was checked for the latest version just last week.
What "problem" do you mean?
I addressed the thermal problem because I was asked to look at the shared post.

What "problem" do you mean?
The one discussed in the link in post #9 above. Essentially a hardware fault in certain Intel CPUs when under load.

MSI were one of the makers affected; if they have not put out a new Bios to address it, then the other measures that @TheOriginalKage and @FieryHero have been helping folks with will be necessary!

Unfortunately, the crashes still occur after about 2 hours of play.
Have you implemented the tweaks described in the linked thread? They've certainly worked for CK3 and Victoria3, and we've seen some success with this game too.

@AndrewT Yes! It just can't be implemented exactly like that because other manufacturers use different information. But yes, all settings in the post have been set or tested. Unfortunately, this doesn't bring any improvement for Cities2.exe.

@PlayDev_ above I have a short feedback on my performance AFTER adjusting my graphics settings according to the suggestion here in the forum, which contribute to "optimization". With these settings I was able to delay my crashes, which occurred after 5 minutes, by about 2 hours.

@AndrewT Yes! It just can't be implemented exactly like that because other manufacturers use different information. But yes, all settings in the post have been set or tested. Unfortunately, this doesn't bring any improvement for Cities2.exe.

@PlayDev_ above I have a short feedback on my performance AFTER adjusting my graphics settings according to the suggestion here in the forum, which contribute to "optimization". With these settings I was able to delay my crashes, which occurred after 5 minutes, by about 2 hours.
I see, I just updated my BIOS which gave me the option to activate the Intel Baseline Profile and seems to have fixed it, will post again if it occurs but games running smooth like butter!

• 1Like
Reactions: