AoW: Planetfall - AoW: Planetfall - Extremely frequent crashes to desktop [PC]

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

pseudowolf

Recruit
23 Badges
Dec 24, 2018
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Prison Architect
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Surviving Mars
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV
One line summary of your issue
AoW: Planetfall - Extremely frequent crashes to desktop [PC]

What platform are you running the game on?
Steam

What operating system do you use?
Windows 10 Pro

Which version of the game are you running?
v1.404.43827

What expansions do you have installed?
(DID NOT ANSWER QUESTION)

Please explain your issue is in as much detail as possible.
As far as I know I haven't been able to determine what causes the crashes but they are extremely frequent and usually happens during a manual fight. I've verified the game files, cancelled steam overlay, played around with graphics settings, disabled vsynch, turned off auto-save, updated my graphics drivers to latest... Nothing works. I have countless crash reports.

Have you tried verifying your files?
Yes

Steps to reproduce the issue
Just play the game or go into any fight. It doesn't take more than 5 mins to crash again.

Attach DxDiag (PC) or System Info log (Mac)
File(s) attached

Attach screenshot / video
File(s) attached

Attachments

• DxDiag pseudowolf.txt
    98,7 KB · Views: 0
Upvote 0
Has this always happened since you've had the game? Or it was okay up to some point?

We see several LiveKernelEvent entries in that dxdiag, they happen when the machine is downed or rebooted forcibly. Have you seen that, is it related to this game or something else?

Please go to .../Steam/steamapps/common/Age of Wonders Planetfall/ and run AowPF_debug.exe

Then after the next such crash, go to C:/users/<UserName>/Documents/Paradox Interactive/Age of Wonders Planetfall/logs/ and attach here the latest game log file.

From C:/users/<UserName>/Documents/Paradox Interactive/Age of Wonders Planetfall/Config/ please attach here settings.cfg

hi
Has this always happened since you've had the game? Or it was okay up to some point?

We see several LiveKernelEvent entries in that dxdiag, they happen when the machine is downed or rebooted forcibly. Have you seen that, is it related to this game or something else?

Please go to .../Steam/steamapps/common/Age of Wonders Planetfall/ and run AowPF_debug.exe

Then after the next such crash, go to C:/users/<UserName>/Documents/Paradox Interactive/Age of Wonders Planetfall/logs/ and attach here the latest game log file.

From C:/users/<UserName>/Documents/Paradox Interactive/Age of Wonders Planetfall/Config/ please attach here settings.cfg

Hi, so I wrote a detailed explanation/answer to your post but I'm getting this error and cannot post it for some reason?

Your content can not be submitted. This is likely because your content is spam-like or contains inappropriate elements. Please change your content or try again later. If you still have problems, please contact an administrator.

It doesn't tell me what's causing the spam-like element?!

Attachments

• Game0812_1310.txt
    66,9 KB · Views: 0
OK, so I tried like 10 different variations and none of them worked. I have zero links nor any spammy messages in my post. Your spam detection protocols are wayy too strict if you ask me. So I took a screenshot of the post. Here it is:

Also, your forum does not allow uploading of files with .cfg extension. I can send you the config through email if you like.

Attachments

• screenshot of my original post.png
    screenshot of my original post.png
    67,8 KB · Views: 0
Your spam detection protocols are wayy too strict if you ask me.
They come from the forum software, not us!

your forum does not allow uploading of files with .cfg extension.
Just zip it up first.

As for that log file, I see no crash nor crash cause in there! Not good, not sure what to suggest at this point to be honest. I assume a Steam Verify of the game does not find anything to fix?

There are no mods in use, is that right?

If you reduce the video quality settings, does it still happen, or maybe less often at least?

Make sure Vsync is ON in the game's video settings, so it doesn't exceed your desktop setting of 60hz.

OK, so interestingly when I started playing again to reproduce the crash, it didn't happen for about a few hours until now when I walked my army into a hex on the map. Not sure how it managed to work for a couple of hours this time. I didn't verify the game again, had already done it before. I've included the crash dump file along with the cfg. Thank you!

Attachments

• Settings cfg.zip
    1,3 KB · Views: 0
  • crash dump file.zip
    387,3 KB · Views: 0
I can't read dump files I'm afraid. Only the developers could, but there are none working on this game any more!

There are no mods in use, is that right?

If you reduce the video quality settings, does it still happen, or maybe less often at least?

Make sure Vsync is ON in the game's video settings, so it doesn't exceed your desktop setting of 60hz.

After such a crash, can you reload the same game and carry on past the point it crashed? Or it always crashes at that same spot?

So the crashes have substantially and they only happen once every hour or so. Everytime it happens, it seems to be completely random. There is no specific action that causes it. After it crashes I can reload and continue playing past that point with no problems now except in the beginning when the crashes were more frequent, they used to repeatedly happen in fights. There was one fight that it crashed much more often than others but now it has subsided.

Definitely have no mods and vsynch is on.

So the crashes have substantially and they only happen once every hour or so. Everytime it happens, it seems to be completely random. There is no specific action that causes it. After it crashes I can reload and continue playing past that point with no problems now except in the beginning when the crashes were more frequent, they used to repeatedly happen in fights. There was one fight that it crashed much more often than others but now it has subsided.

Definitely have no mods and vsynch is on.
Please report the temperatures of your CPU and video (GPU)
1/ before starting the game up and
2/ after say 30 minutes' play.
If your PC's vendor has given you no way of reading temperatures, install
SPEEDFAN http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

Mine wont open. Windows 11.

AOWPF_Crash_2023-08-16-20-45-03_3EB0FC7E.tcd
Please make your own new thread here, and give full problem history and system details there. Thank you.

I think I know where you're going with this.. but if it was because of the temps, wouldn't the whole computer crash and force restart with a blue screen? I'm no expert.

Before the game was launched:
cpu 58, gpu 38 degrees celsius before play

right before crash to desktop:
gpu was max 58, stable around 45-50 throughout the game
cpu was 83 (with a max 86) but usually around 75 throughout the game.

It took longer for my answer because the game honestly didn't crash for a whole day of playing for some reason and today it crashed again in the middle of a fight.
If it is because of the temperatures, maybe it's because of the hot summer weather? In which case a fresh dust off to the cpu/case fans would be in order?

Thanks!

Just had another crash and I can 100% confirm it has nothing to do with anything I did in the game. I was just reading some ability descriptions in the hero skill point menu.

EDIT: And another one a couple turns later. This time when I pressed "please activate your trading protocols" button on the diplomacy menu of autonoms.

Last edited:
cpu was 83 (with a max 86)
Anything over 80c is IME a problem, so I'm sure this is the issue here - a modest 60hz refresh rate ought not to drive the GPU to overheat, regardless of which game.

Clean out all air vents it has (compressed air cans are good for this). Make sure airflow to them is not blocked by anything like walls, books or whatever.
If that doesn't drop the temps enough, you probably have a faulty fan or a heatsink/thermal paste problem. You may need professional help at that point.