AOD 1.12 - The "Reserves" command doesn't work when the attacked adjacent province has allied unit(s)

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

adfs

Captain
11 Badges
Sep 20, 2009
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Darkest Hour
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • For The Glory
  • 500k Club
Last edited:
Upvote 0
My apologies for posting it in the wrong forum, pls move it to the Bug Reports sub-forum.

I've added this to the list for 1.13. I'll look into it once I'm able to get back to the "hardcoing" side of the release. I have a couple of quick questions to ask that will help me to determine and find the issue.

After you set the division's mission to Reserve, how long (game days) did you wait before concluding that it wasn't working?
Did you look at the division and see if its mission changed from Reserve to moving to the province?

Q: After you set the division's mission to Reserve, how long (game days) did you wait before concluding that it wasn't working?
A: I tried to wait at least 10 days after the attack started but nothing happened.

Q: Did you look at the division and see if its mission changed from Reserve to moving to the province?
A: Yes, checked the mission is still the "RESERVE" but there is no target and moving info, nothing changed. However, it works if the attacked province is full of my own divisions(100%). Also noted the "RESERVE" division will attack the adjacent province after I initiate an attack on this enemy's province. Is this work as designed as I thought the mission is intended to work when defending?

The screenshots of the "RESERVE" divisions will attack the adjacent province after initiating an attack:

1662227626091.png

1662227666451.png

1662227699921.png

From your above screenshots, you (Nationalist China) are attacking, not defending. The first screenshot shows 31 Nat China divisions attacking Nhommarath from Vientiane, the 2nd shows 10 Nat China divisions attacking from Vientiane and Hanoi, and the 3rd shows 16 Nat divisions attacking Da Nang from Hanoi.

Reserves only come to the aid of your troops being attacked. You are attacking therefore the reserves will keep doing their reserve mission. In the top and bottom screenshots, the mouseover popup message even states this, "...that is under attack." If you're looking for the reserves to be automatically committed to the attack, then there would need to be a new mission type created, but currently the reserve mission is only for the defense.

From your above screenshots, you (Nationalist China) are attacking, not defending. The first screenshot shows 31 Nat China divisions attacking Nhommarath from Vientiane, the 2nd shows 10 Nat China divisions attacking from Vientiane and Hanoi, and the 3rd shows 16 Nat divisions attacking Da Nang from Hanoi.

Reserves only come to the aid of your troops being attacked. You are attacking therefore the reserves will keep doing their reserve mission. In the top and bottom screenshots, the mouseover popup message even states this, "...that is under attack." If you're looking for the reserves to be automatically committed to the attack, then there would need to be a new mission type created, but currently the reserve mission is only for the defense.
Yes, according to the manual and description, the "Reserves" mission is only for defense. But in the above screenshots, the attack also could trigger the mission which doesn't work as designed. Is this a bug?

But in the above screenshots, the attack also could trigger the mission which doesn't work as designed. Is this a bug?
Not a bug. Any division that has been given a Reserve mission must be in a province behind the frontline. So the Di 3 Jun Army/Corps Hanoi doesn't do anything. You would be better off setting that division's mission to attack.

For an effective Reserve mission to work for this battle it:
  1. Must be located in either the Luang Prabang or Haiphong provinces. The best would be the Luang Prabang, so the reserve unit could support both the Vietntiane and Hanoi provinces.
  2. and the units in the Luang Prabang and Haiphong provinces fighting in the defense

Not a bug. Any division that has been given a Reserve mission must be in a province behind the frontline. So the Di 3 Jun Army/Corps Hanoi doesn't do anything. You would be better off setting that division's mission to attack.

For an effective Reserve mission to work for this battle it:
  1. Must be located in either the Luang Prabang or Haiphong provinces. The best would be the Luang Prabang, so the reserve unit could support both the Vietntiane and Hanoi provinces.
  2. and the units in the Luang Prabang and Haiphong provinces fighting in the defense
Thank you for your clarification.

If I understand correctly, the reasons below why they supported the attack:
a) when I'm attacking the enemy's province, my attack force is also being attacked by the defending force, triggering the reserved divisions to join the fight.
b) I have put them in the frontline, not behind the frontline, hence they have joined the attack.

If I understand correctly, the reasons below why they supported the attack:
a) when I'm attacking the enemy's province, my attack force is also being attacked by the defending force, triggering the reserved divisions to join the fight.
b) I have put them in the frontline, not behind the frontline, hence they have joined the attack.
Let me try explaining a different way. If you assign a unit to the Reserve mission, it will do nothing unless it is behind your front line and a front line unit is attacked.

So if the unit performing the Reserve mission is on the front line, it's not included in the attacks you're doing. The only thing a unit performing the Reserve mission on the front line will do, is to defend itself like any other unit.

For a unit performing the Reserve mission to work properly, it must be in a province directly behind the front line provinces. So in the screenshots you provided, to be able to use the Reserve mission, you should move the Di 3 Jun Army/Corps Hanoi unit to the Luang Prabang province, so the reserve unit could support both the Vietntiane and Hanoi provinces.

Reactions: