• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

cloneof

NATOfied since 2020
19 Badges
Apr 19, 2006
  • Darkest Hour
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
I have enjoyed a variety of mods that make a German play through interesting, challenging and filled with interesting flavour mods with fascinating choices (Fatherland, Edge of Darkness, Kaiserreich, etc.). Anyone know if any of our wide variety mods add interesting things for a possible Japan play through? Outside of Full, I have previously played with Japan a few times in Kaiserreich, as the mod adds a few interesting event base options, and it is not too difficult to engineer one-self into hard scenarios. I would be, however, interested to know if anyone can recommend any other mods take on the country.

TRP is the best, it's a real challenge because leading up to the war with China you will lack manpower and enough IC to unlock your final research slot, which obviously you need right away, but at the same time, china is a lot tougher to beat than in vanilla. You can however use the manpower event from war breaking out to get a fair amount of unbrigaded light infantry out quickly which should ensure it's success. The USA will have around six times your IC so that's challenge number two and the reason why the begining of a Japan run in TRP is so important, you really cannot afforrd a long war with China, nor being without that tech slot, not to mention you ideally want to build some IC above that. The USSR will invade after Germany falls.

There's like half a dozen fairly similar mods that play more like DH full, and are focused on a 1933 start and generally are more sandboxy with more cool events than TRP has for various alternative history outcomes, edge of darkness comes to mind

• 1Like
Reactions:
TRP is the best, it's a real challenge because leading up to the war with China you will lack manpower and enough IC to unlock your final research slot, which obviously you need right away, but at the same time, china is a lot tougher to beat than in vanilla. You can however use the manpower event from war breaking out to get a fair amount of unbrigaded light infantry out quickly which should ensure it's success. The USA will have around six times your IC so that's challenge number two and the reason why the begining of a Japan run in TRP is so important, you really cannot afforrd a long war with China, nor being without that tech slot, not to mention you ideally want to build some IC above that. The USSR will invade after Germany falls.

There's like half a dozen fairly similar mods that play more like DH full, and are focused on a 1933 start and generally are more sandboxy with more cool events than TRP has for various alternative history outcomes, edge of darkness comes to mind
Thanks. That actually sounds very interesting. I have usually come to editing save file and events to make difficulty a bit higher, but TRP sounds like something I could be hitting my head after loosing badly the first few times.

- Blood and Iron is pretty fun. It's basically Edge of Darkness Plus.
- Yeah, TRP is great for Majors (so also for Japan). Minors are unplayable though, they significantly reduced IC and manpower of these countries.
- EODAIP is also fun. Modder tried to make AI more smart and aggressive.
- What about...Bandaid BX 1914? Mod starts in 1897 and you can lead Japan against Russia in the 1905 war and later on fight in the WW1. Maybe consider joining Central Powers? That would be a nice challenge since WW1 Japan is relatively weak compared to WW2 Japan.
- Also do you know about AoD (Arsenal of Democracy)? It's another Hoi2 remaster like DH. I'm mentioning this because AoD has few Japanese focused battlescenarios. For example American Invasion of Japan. And it's a pretty fun game. Also CORE mod for AoD has a lot of flavour for Japan.

• 2Like
Reactions:
- Blood and Iron is pretty fun. It's basically Edge of Darkness Plus.
- Yeah, TRP is great for Majors (so also for Japan). Minors are unplayable though, they significantly reduced IC and manpower of these countries.
- EODAIP is also fun. Modder tried to make AI more smart and aggressive.
- What about...Bandaid BX 1914? Mod starts in 1897 and you can lead Japan against Russia in the 1905 war and later on fight in the WW1. Maybe consider joining Central Powers? That would be a nice challenge since WW1 Japan is relatively weak compared to WW2 Japan.
- Also do you know about AoD (Arsenal of Democracy)? It's another Hoi2 remaster like DH. I'm mentioning this because AoD has few Japanese focused battlescenarios. For example American Invasion of Japan. And it's a pretty fun game. Also CORE mod for AoD has a lot of flavour for Japan.
Another set of interesting recommendations. Thanks!

• 1Like
Reactions: