• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

vandevere

From the Great State of Denial
11 Badges
Jun 13, 2013
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
I started as Hugo Welf, Duke of Anjou, 867 Start. First thing I did was to marry Hildegard Karling, daughter of Charles the Bald. As I quietly tended to my Duchies, Charles went on an Invasion Spree, took both Burgundy and Brittany. Then, he died and Louis the Stammerer took over. With some help from me, he was eventually able to form the Empire of Francia.

Then Hugo died, and I went on to play his heir, Konrad. Hugo had died relatively young, at only 50 years of age, and Hildegard was only in her mid thirties. She married someone else, and I sort of forgot about her. Then, Succession hijinks ensued, like they always do.

When she died, at 38, she had apparently become Queen of Aquitaine, and I was still her heir. For once, when I became King of Aquitaine, I didn't lose any of my original demesne. I suspect there were two reasons for this stroke of good luck. First, all of Francia, the empire, and all the subject Kingdoms, were all Gavelkind, not Elective. The other thing was that the Empire of Francia is over me...

I may be wrong about that. But I am so glad I didn't lose any of my original counties when I so unexpectedly became King of Aquitaine...