• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Woaah, things been awkwardly busy the last couple of days. Well done naggy on starting the war bits! Have yet to read it, but will do. First it's time to make chapter 9 and continue.

Chapter 9
The Conquest of Scotland
Part One

So the units are on their way. We don't need them to win the war with Scotland, they are only important for sieging and prevent rebels popping up. Now we need to declare war.

Several questions arise here on the forum board regarding the CB's I mentioned in chapter eight. People say that they 'don't work' or 'I don't have the CB!' They are wrong, they have the CB, but you have to actually use it when you declare war. That means, you have to select it. This is how it shouldn't look.
12wrongCB.jpg

As you can see, we will now lose stability even though we have a CB available! How can we avoid that? We can by clicking on the Conquest CB so the -2 stability goes away. Declare war on Scotland with the correct CB and keep the game paused!

Whenever we go to war with a Western nation, it is very important to set the maintenance level at it's highest. Do this now. Our armies will not be at full strength the moment we increase the slider. It takes a new months to do that. So if we increase it on the 31st, on 1st it will be a bit filled. It normally takes about 2 to 3 months to full the entire morale bar. Very important, changes to morael ---but also to your budget--- will only occur if you close the Coat of Arms menu. Do not let it kept open as the changes you make will not occur in the next month!
1maintenancelevel.jpg

Have you any idea why we go to war? It's because of our mission. Take a look again.
4ourmission.jpg

The mission says we get free cores ---cores will be explained in a bit--- if we occupy the High and Low lands. I can already tell you that the High and Low lands are regions, not provinces. So to know what those regions are, switch to the region mapmode and take a look at Scotland.
5regionofmission.jpg

This means we have to occupy at least one province in both those regions. It's irrelevant now actually, as we will try to occupy the entire Scotish Isles. Ok switch back to your normal mapmode ---either terrain or political mapmode--- and unpause the game for a sec.

In my game, Portugal joins the fight! We don't actually need them, but they could be handy. We have one problem we need to hold our eyes on. Whenever one of their troops starts sieging a province, the province will become Portuguese even though if we help them sieging it.
6Portugalrejects.jpg

To get an overview of who is fighting who, you can select the diplomatic mapmode and see which countries are red colored when you select England, or click on the little shield in the lower right corner.
7waroverview.jpg

The shields in the top represents the alliance leaders and the others are junior partners. Alliance leaders are able to end a war for their entire alliance. So if we would want to end the war, all we need to do is make peace with France. Junior partners are not able to make piece with other juniors. Furthermore you can see the army and fleet sizes. More importantly however, is that you can see the war score. The war score determines who is the overall winner(s) of the war. This is important in the peace talks. When we crush Scotland, we will have a 100% war score against Scotland, but a much much lower value against France. You will see how this turns out later.

Okay time for battle! First let's us move the fleet to a more worthy position than hiding in the harbor in London. Select the fleet and let it sail towards Firth of Forth. ---Notice how I select both fleets and click the close button on my Cogs so that they are no more selected. Keep those Cogs safely in the harbor! If you want to rename them, simply click on their current name (blue esquadron if I'm not mistaken) and type what you want.--- That way we are able to immediately fight the Scottish navy if they want to get out.
2selectnavy.jpg
10navaltatic.jpg

Oh dear...
8embargo.jpg

The fools have embargoed us! That won't hurt us, as we don't trade in Antwerp. We don't need to worry about this courtesy gesture of war.

The Scots are quick, they moved their army to our land.
11undersiege.jpg

Now for the plan of our army...our most important objective is to destroy the Scottish army. After that we can siege all we want. So let us send our troops towards the fray! After the initial fight, we will follow the Scots to finish them off, just like the rebels. ---I anticipate that they will retreat to Scotland, that's why I've send my troops there.---
12theplan.jpg

After a couple of days we engage the Scots. For King and Country!!!!.
13thefight.jpg

We have some heavy penalties because we probably fight in the hills. Though that won't be a real problem. Naggy will explain more about this later. We just watch the battle as it turns out.

I won the battle! Though I don't have a screeny of that. I anticipate a bit correctly, as they move to Scotland but not the province I thought they would. Even worse, they are sending a small invasion force to us! To fight that 1k invasion force, we need to split our army up, similar like we did with the fleets. Split our army up so that at least 2 regiments of cavalry are available.
15splitarmy.jpg

Our forces are to intercept the Scotish invading force of 1k. The other forces are to destroy the standing army of the Scotish in Scotland. Take a look to this screenshot and notice the different paths the armies take.
15splitthearmyup.jpg

something came up :eek: need to finish later

Just wondering one thing.

Why did you order your men to walk into Scotland? Is there a point to not just order them to the province where the scottish army is?

And a little side note. Transport ships are actually quite good in combat. Maybe they don't do much damage but if you keep them in the battle fleet, your ships will survive longer since some of the enemy ships will target your transports instead. Better to spread the damage to your ships as much as possible. :)

And a little side note. Transport ships are actually quite good in combat. Maybe they don't do much damage but if you keep them in the battle fleet, your ships will survive longer since some of the enemy ships will target your transports instead. Better to spread the damage to your ships as much as possible. :)

Depends on the navy you fight. If you fight a naval nation (oh, such as England), they occasionally will just rip your transports to shreds. Also, given the naval disparity between England and everyone else at 1399, there's no reason to put your transports in danger.

Hey,

Just read the "paused game" section and as a new player of EU III let me just say it is greatly appreciated... altough it took me more than 15 minutes ;).

Will be reading the rest for sure. This should speed up the learning process. :cool:

EDIT

Question: I see that at first you had the maintenance level for the navy at the minimum and then you raised it once at war. If I understand correctly, only morale is affected by maintenance? Not the number of troops in the regiment (some form of attrition, desertion, etc.)? Thanks.

Last edited:
Question: I see that at first you had the maintenance level for the navy at the minimum and then you raised it once at war. If I understand correctly, only morale is affected by maintenance? Not the number of troops in the regiment (some form of attrition, desertion, etc.)? Thanks.

It also affects how quickly your troops reinforce. So if a slider is all the way to the left and you take casualties, your armies will never get back up to full strength. But no, if the slider is lower, it won't cause you to lose any troops

It also affects how quickly your troops reinforce. So if a slider is all the way to the left and you take casualties, your armies will never get back up to full strength. But no, if the slider is lower, it won't cause you to lose any troops

Thanks.

As for the AAR: I followed your model and instead of having Scotland for mission I had "Conquer Ireland". I declared war the way you said to two Irish countries but then Britanny was at war with me. Portugal was my ally but left when France, Scotland and all their allies declared war to me!

Fortunately, after a victorious campaigns in Ireland and Scotland and a few great naval victories against britanny and France (although France kicked my b*tt when I tried to retake the two southern France provinces that were in England's control) I did manage to annex all and create the UK! Four years after I started the game!

Everything went so fast and at one point had trouble with money but I think it's because I panicked when France dowed and my army was in Ireland so I built too much troops. When I disbanded some everything was okay again. I had to give up my two French provinces but I still have Calais.

Problem is my everytime I annexed my infamy went up so now I'm at 23! How can I get it low and fast?

Thanks, this AAR really helped me understand how to start and I had a great time playing so far.

There are 4 likely missions for England at game start: Vassalize/conquer Scotland, Conquer Ireland, Recover Normandy, and Occupy Paris (once you're at war with France).

Ironically, Conquer Scotland is better than Conquer Ireland at first, because it puts you at war with France without her vassals, which makes it a much easier war. France loves to backstab England and declare a war of Reconquest, bringing in her vassals, and that war is MUCH tougher, especially if Burgundy decides to go after Calais.

I assume he's waiting for the combat AAR to finish.

I wouldn't be so sure. He hasn't logged on since he posted the update. Judging by the end of his last post, something probably happened IRL.

I wouldn't be so sure. He hasn't logged on since he posted the update. Judging by the end of his last post, something probably happened IRL.

He decided to become a colonist, so he's chopping wood for 209 days, with a 72% chance of success.

Excellent work

As fairly new to EU3 I find this "tutorial" very well written and to the point. Can't wait for the rest, keep up the excellent work.

I have another question,

is there any way to raise legimacy?

In my current game, my ruler only has 39% legimacy, which is better than his father who finished with 0....
The WE is eating me alife, and his dad had a lousy admin score, the regency that is in place now is even better in admin than the dad :/

/Krogzar

*ai wrong thread, but as this is a tutorial, it seems like a good place for a q like this anyway*

I have another question,

is there any way to raise legimacy?

Your monarch dying resets it based on the heir's claim. Other than that, royal marriages and Grand Marshal (IIRC) advisors.

I've been there - low legitimacy is painful.