• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Abnwtwtud

Lt. General
116 Badges
Jul 25, 2009
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Impire
  • Iron Cross
  • King Arthur II
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • March of the Eagles
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Ship Simulator Extremes
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Starvoid
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Darkest Hour
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Dungeonland
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
As I always do with a new game that I eagerly anticipate, I hunkered down to play A Game of Dwarves as soon as I could access it on Steam. Overall, I have to say that it's a fairly enjoyable game like Angry Birds or Snake on my phone. The campaign itself I have already beaten and a I've played through a quick custom game, and without spoilers, I do have to give them credit for the plot, which was both entertaining and amusing. Here's a quick list of problems I had though:

1. Campaign is fun, but frankly, once you get a good idea of how to play, it really doesn't have much in the way of challenge, at least not to me.

2. Not complicated enough for me. I watched that live streaming thing ya'll did, and frankly, I wish you had included water and lava. Really, the only way that your settlements can die or fail is if you boneheadly forget to feed the dwarves or tunnel into a cave that you're not quite yet prepared for. I really wish there was a bit more depth and complexity to the settlements, and that they felt like a more living organism than an ant hive. Oddly enough, I felt this game was more akin to SimAnt with furniture.

3. It may be just my suspicious nature, but I'm getting the feeling that someone involved with the production said something similar to this: "Don't worry about more content, just get the base game going, we'll sell it cheaply, and then just do what the Sims does, and charge them for bits and pieces of furniture." I really hope that's not the case, but overall, it feels like there's bits and ideas missing, especially from the campaign. There's nothing I could put a finger on, but it just feels like the people involved weren't able to do everything they wanted to, either from limitations or the above mentioned sinister DLC plot.

4. The dwarves promptly became morons in my custom game as soon as the hive grew to a certain extent. No amount of teleportation could rouse them out of their stupor, and they'd just sleep wherever. Similarly, it would be nice if my miners didn't decide suddenly to go take a nap in that comfortable chair in the middle of the spiders' next he just opened up. This happened way too many times over the course of the game.

Despite those, overall I enjoyed the game, and while I don't want to be nickel and dimed for DLC, I probably will buy whatever is thrown out to us, ESPECIALLY if you add a more simulation-esque nature to the custom game.

Yeah I don't how they missed that bug. Your miner tears down a wall revealing a lair of angry Orcs that snarl in his direction. You expect him to flee in terror. But no his eyes are drawn to something even more interesting. A dusty old chair in the corner behind the Orcs. "Move aside beasts" he says not to be denied his hard earned nap.

I noticed a thing:

i found a gnome room, not sure if he would be aggressive or what else, i didn't bring there the militia.
For about 10 seconds, in fact, he did not attacked my dwarf, who could walk in the room unharmed.

Only at some point the gnome became aggressive, and the dwarf called for help.
I mean that, maybe, the perception of a peril is not immediate and automatic, and that thing would logically explain the behaviuor of your dwarves too.

I noticed a thing:

i found a gnome room, not sure if he would be aggressive or what else, i didn't bring there the militia.
For about 10 seconds, in fact, he did not attacked my dwarf, who could walk in the room unharmed.

Only at some point the gnome became aggressive, and the dwarf called for help.
I mean that, maybe, the perception of a peril is not immediate and automatic, and that thing would logically explain the behaviuor of your dwarves too.

I think they start attacking you when you sell some of their stuff... ;)