• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

civ_v_freak

Feztis
31 Badges
Sep 2, 2015
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Prison Architect
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
Sometimes you don't want to let ruins exist where they're at, for example if its province is key to securing certain adjacency bonuses. I would like for there to be some kind of way to remove ruins from the map, because perhaps I got rid of a neighbour that aggresively expanded next to me, and now I can't use that province the ruin is now on for sometimes juicy province improvement placements for that maximum adjacency bonus.

I thought of perhaps letting the Earth Shatter spell allow you for leveling city ruins too, just like for mountains. Alternatively you could put a button at the bottom of the UI when selecting the ruins that, if clicked, allows for investing perhaps time, gold or a combination of the two to clear the ruins. Letting my enemy grief me like that I don't like :p

• 12Like
Reactions:
I agree with this suggestion. In one playthrough a city ruin was much to close to my starting city and the map edge to make it worth settling in, but blocked once province and those adjacent to it. Also, at some point the AI settled the city and was very close to my capital (it was an ally, so not a big issue, but still somewhat annoying). The only way to have stopped that AI would have been to waste one of my city points on the ruins that served no sufficient purpose for me. Long story short, an option to remove the ruins (or perhaps even to transform them into something special and useful for an existing city) would be great.

• 3Like
Reactions:
I’d think city ruins would be a good place to set up a temporary base, so I think it should be possible to build an outpost in city ruins.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Ooh yeah, kind of like the research bonuses you get in Stellaris with relic worlds! I like it!
In AOW: Planetfall the ruins terrain give research as well. They're not exactly the same equivalent but it's a good translation considering how other similar mechanics were translated from Planetfall to AOW4.

I had a game when city ruins was placed on rare resource and near wonder. So claiming that wonder and resource was really hard with ruins standing in the way.

I am in favour of removing ruins pernamently, even if it takes some time (several turns) and everyone can cancel it.

There could also be an option to taking ruins as province, and using it for quarry, conduict, research.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Agreed!

I'm currently playing a Highlands game, and my capital city is locked in mountains with something like 17 or 18 total provinces and no way to expand beyond that (there are passes, but all of them go through provinces that can't be claimed). I originally razed the Free City I shared the valley with, with the goal being to have a single big city covering the entire area. However, I then ended up having to rebuild it in order to claim the Magic Material in the province, which means my cities are going to be somewhat lacking for space soon (I have like two or three provinces left to claim before it's all taken).

I've requested a refund due to this. It's unfun and broken design that should be considered a bug.

That's a bit of an overreaction, don't you think?

Agreed!

I'm currently playing a Highlands game, and my capital city is locked in mountains with something like 17 or 18 total provinces and no way to expand beyond that (there are passes, but all of them go through provinces that can't be claimed). I originally razed the Free City I shared the valley with, with the goal being to have a single big city covering the entire area. However, I then ended up having to rebuild it in order to claim the Magic Material in the province, which means my cities are going to be somewhat lacking for space soon (I have like two or three provinces left to claim before it's all taken).

That's a bit of an overreaction, don't you think?
No, it's not an overreaction. Don't keep games that aren't fun. There are plenty of fish in this sea.

I'm too many hours in to refund and might just sit and wait a bit to see what happens even if I weren't, but I won't be playing vanilla until it's fixed and may not play at all.

I agree, totally. In a game with all kind of crazy and magic stuff the sheer anti-logic of a ruin from a razed city hindering your expansion stands out as incomprehensible.

I am hoping that trolling your opponents with this in multiplayer games quickly becomes a common strategy, forcing the devs to react. Just go build a watchtower in a strategic spot at their city border and then upgrade it into a city. And raze it. Totally worth it, that province is now perma-locked, unless your opponent want to double-cramp their expansion.

The "indestructable ruin" mechanic is totally ridiculous. But even worse, it is THE eminent "game enjoyment destroying" mechanic of the game. At least for me. Every time it happens (and it happens quite often, the AI building a watchtower at your border and then turning it into acity) I quit the game and play something else for awhile.

"Ruins that totally ruins your fun", but it is such a horrible thing that isn't even funny...

• 2Like
Reactions:
We also need a way to remove suggestion threads that aren't relevant anymore because they've been implemented into the game ^^.

• 1Like
Reactions: