• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Colbert30

Corporal
2 Badges
May 9, 2012
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • 500k Club
I like to play huge maps with tons of AI's. But what I am experiencing is really putting me off because the AI just takes way too long during their turns.

Is anyone else having that problem?

Same here. One of Ais takes like 10 times longer than other to turn, I'm playing on continents/large map with maxed Great Mages. And it takes longer and longer for that AI to turn. I'm not sure which one specifically tho, those i know make their turns relatively fast.

Damn, I wanted to start this thread an hour ago, except that Paradox's security kept me out until now.

Anyhow, I had no problems at the "Challenging" setting, but at "Impossible" with a huge map and lots of AIs the AI moves take 2-3 minutes. This is unplayable! I am reading a book between the moves. I thought it might be the resolution, so I set everything at medium, but it made no difference. Turning off all other programs did help somewhat.

I have been waiting for the release of Warlock 2 with many expectations, and many of them have been realized, but I cannot continue like this. I have to say though, that the AI seems a lot smarter at Impossible level. At Challenging, they seemed to just mill about and get knocked off by the monsters.

FYI, I have a i7-920 with 12 GB memory. and a Radeon 4850 1GB video card. This system is getting a bit dated, but I have had no other problems and it still posts a good speed score.

I am having this problem too. Turns are 2-3 minutes per AI for me in my current game on turn 50, large map, 6 opponents, impossible, sandbox. Way too long. My first few games were on XL maps and and it seems the turn times have only gotten worse very recently (march 24th) as I dont remember having this problem in my first several games. But should this thread be in the bug forum?

Last edited:
DANG... I haven't experienced extreme AI times yet. However, that is what killed Eador - Master of the Broken World for me. AI turns just took forever and ever. I hope I don't run into that. :(

We haven't touched anything since the pre order started that should make the turn time longer. But: the larger the map, and the more AI opponents the longer the turn time will be.
Might be a good idea to report it in the tech forums as well as fenryder says.

OK. Thank you for the responses! I'll make a new thread in the tech forums as suggested.

I'm at turn 100 on impossible. With 4 AI still alive on medium map their turns take up to 4 minutes (with fastest animation speed) or around 2:30/3 if I click constantly.

This is simply gamebreaking!

I will probably need another 100 turns to end that game and that means at least 8 hours of just waiting for AI to move !!!

Since my turns take usually 1-2 minutes it is even worse than worst till that point in this department - Rome 2. And I never thought I'll have to use "worse than Rome 2" phrase, but there we go...

Is it any faster if you keep double clicking to skip animations on enemy turns?
Here you go:
turns take up to 4 minutes (with fastest animation speed) or around 2:30/3 if I click

So if I were to click through next 100 turns that would mean 5 hours (100*3 min) of constant clicking. Carpal tunnel and/or madness here I come!

Hmm, we'll look in to that!

I do think turns take longer than in Warlock 1.
It seems like I have to keep pressing mouse button even when enemy does his turn to speed up his movement I cant see. I think Warlock 1 didnt worked like that, AI only took full unit animation into consideration when it was visible.

Have you tried left-clicking through enemy turns? In Warlock 1, you were able to click through enemy turns with ease. I've been able to do this with Warlock 2, with no problems.

Also, you sure your computers satisfy the game's recommended requirements? I have a good computer, and have none of the issues stated here (and I also play on Impossible), so I'd double check that, just in case (http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri this tool will help you figure it out).

Same here. One of Ais takes like 10 times longer than other to turn, I'm playing on continents/large map with maxed Great Mages. And it takes longer and longer for that AI to turn. I'm not sure which one specifically tho, those i know make their turns relatively fast.

Some or all of these long turns are related to what I posted here: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?764253-AI-freezes-for-a-minute

If you watch closely in your games youll see one or more AIs do nothing for at least a minute each turn. They just sit there frozen for a long time before beginning to move a single unit.

one AI mage is my ally since begining in my game so i can see what he is doing all the time, which makes realy long AI turn. he is cut of from rest of the world and he only attack rebels when they pop up. problem is that AI move every posible unit, every turn, even when there is no targets which he can engage. they need to fix AI and make him pass turns when there is no enemy to engage. And to prevent that he send 20 units to kill one rebel unit.