AI Soviet performing even more poorly post ToA?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Caeric

Colonel
46 Badges
Aug 22, 2019
  • Prison Architect
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
I've noticed since ToA that the Soviets have started losing Leningrad, Stalingrad and even Moscow fairly often and only within a year of Barbarossa, has anybody else noticed a similar trend with the Sov AI?

Attachments

• SovAI.png
    SovAI.png
    1,9 MB · Views: 0
  • SovAILogistics.png
    SovAILogistics.png
    445,7 KB · Views: 0
Its a generic AI problem that i call "beggar wars".
Also its seems AI is pushing to very larger templates, but Soviet need numbers, not few large divisions.

Theyre also crippled by convoy issues, if u lend-lease convoy to them, they hold germans.

I manipulated my last run, LL basic weaponry to germany in 39~41 helped it snowball(partially fixing the beggar wars problem).
Then i switched help to Soviets its stalled the front(USA AI flood them with weapons).

A downscaled barbarrosa with few divisions will kill Hoi4 appeal to me. Barbarrosa should be a fight between 200 x 200 + 20w divisions. not a soccer like match, its ridiculous.

Reactions:
Its a generic AI problem that i call "beggar wars".
Also its seems AI is pushing to very larger templates, but Soviet need numbers, not few large divisions.

Theyre also crippled by convoy issues, if u lend-lease convoy to them, they hold germans.

I manipulated my last run, LL basic weaponry to germany in 39~41 helped it snowball(partially fixing the beggar wars problem).
Then i switched help to Soviets its stalled the front(USA AI flood them with weapons).

A downscaled barbarrosa with few divisions will kill Hoi4 appeal to me. Barbarrosa should be a fight between 200 x 200 + 20w divisions. not a soccer like match, its ridiculous.
I doubt that is explanation alone. They seemingly had a shortage of equipment as soon as Barb started so IDK if they're just not keeping any stockpiles or just selling everything

Maybe the Germans are better supplied due to market and the Russians don't have enough places to get equipment from.

Could also be something to do with production and losing lines, adding lines as territory is lost.

You'd have to see what the AI is producing and it's probably a very wide lineup of stuff. Whereas a human player might have many lines of infantry equipment and very little else.

Negative 33k infantry equipment really depends on how much total is required.

As a player I've been that situation many times. And I've since learned to stockpile old infantry equipment.

AI unfortunately will lend lease it out.

From what I’ve seen, Soviet AI can even hardly defend against Japan. In my current game, I actually swept though all of continental Europe as Italy with 2-3 inf armies + 2 armies of irregulars, capitulating SU and Germany within months. Obviously it was because of denying resources and land to Germany asap. Comparing to the many hard times I had with SU, fighting for every bit of resource and supply, this was a cakewalk.

The soviets seem to have a better industry buildup and more fielded divisions with the buff to five year plan, but they lose those factories and their even footing when Germany expands. With the additional front in Finland, Germany makes more gains in the opening months of the war and just snowballs from there. Lend leasing rifles to the soviets gives them an almost instant turnaround

Mhhhh, is realistic if nobody give lendlease to them they collapse rigth?
To be fair I don't think they should collapse in 1yr unless they get a massive injection of basic infantry guns. Tanks, trucks, airplanes etc. formed the bulk of the lend lease iirc, but you still shouldn't need to intervene as the player to prevent the Sov collapse, the US and UK AI ought to do that (unless they've also sold their entire gun stockpile for whatever reason..)

Reactions:
A lot of the issues with the Sovjets should be mitigated if the trade routes for LL would not go to the ports in St. Petersburg, Murmansk and Crimea as these routes get raided to death.

A lot of the issues with the Sovjets should be mitigated if the trade routes for LL would not go to the ports in St. Petersburg, Murmansk and Crimea as these routes get raided to death.
well
if this are the historical ports receive the LL, there no problem, the problem are they cannot defend well...the routes.

In my games they are actually doing fine, in the current one they even trade positively against the Germans. The Germans are at peace with USA but at war against Japan, so it kinda evens out. Maybe the real reason of them doing alright is me puppeting Finland early on and preventing them from the massive pre-barb wastage, though. (Historical focus enabled)

ZFQHNne.jpg

Same game a year earlier: the front is pretty stale.

6iRkHvk.jpg

another thing is state debuffs on invaders from focuses is coming too late, im my run i have see the "death to invaders" only in 1945+.
In my last game (before my pc broken) i saw Death to invaders in the 42/43 (in the rare game the URSS not collapse fast to germany (but i speak before by blood alone)

Reactions:
well
if this are the historical ports receive the LL, there no problem, the problem are they cannot defend well...the routes.
Of those only Murmansk was used historically. Leningrad/StPetersburg and Crimea were not used IRL, ships and cargoes would have been lost there. The game is not using Vladivostok, while it was the biggest lend-lease harbor IRL.

Soviet AI is hamstrung by a number of different reasons. Firstly, lack of equipment. The starting infantry/cav templates are weak, and fresh divisions are under-equipped. Same goes for the light armour - not enough tanks produced by far.Then we have the Paranoia system. It's disastrous - does the AI even suffer the same fate as the player?

The war with Finland. SU always win in my saves, but this costs equipment which it can ill-afford. Lack of PP - sometimes cannot annex Baltic states. Then you have the lack of defensive templates - the wrong doctrine for the SU by default (ironic!). They should use GBP. Finally there tends to be a lack of aircraft, or specifically a lack of quality in that field. Germany and her allies can steamroll.

I'm actually doing a SU run through now to see how things feel since the latest DLC and patch.

Soviet AI is hamstrung by a number of different reasons. Firstly, lack of equipment. The starting infantry/cav templates are weak, and fresh divisions are under-equipped. Same goes for the light armour - not enough tanks produced by far.Then we have the Paranoia system. It's disastrous - does the AI even suffer the same fate as the player?

The war with Finland. SU always win in my saves, but this costs equipment which it can ill-afford. Lack of PP - sometimes cannot annex Baltic states. Then you have the lack of defensive templates - the wrong doctrine for the SU by default (ironic!). They should use GBP. Finally there tends to be a lack of aircraft, or specifically a lack of quality in that field. Germany and her allies can steamroll.

I'm actually doing a SU run through now to see how things feel since the latest DLC and patch.
the hirony was, SOV used mass assault on all hoi series, only here GBP is better for them

Reactions:

I mean, that does sound a lot like the sort of problems the Soviets faced in 1936-41. Bad army doctrine, poor coordination between units, purges that killed or imprisoned the best commanders, and military industries in disarray. It’s just that human players can navigate these issues a lot more deftly than the AI.

• 1Like
Reactions: