• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Showing developer posts only. Show all posts in this thread.
You might know this already, but - if you are in a sphere, you will generally get a reduction of RP costs for your reforms.

Westernising as both China and Japan felt fairly reasonable to me in terms of time it took, but I'm interested to hear what you think, and will of course keep an eye on this thread.

You might want to keep calm there, Colin.

1) The effects of techs ARE much better than the effects of unciv Reforms. If you disagree, point out which are better.
2) No one said the big GPs should wait to research, the point was that that newly westernised nations will normally have cheaper techs due to them being past their historical date.

I noticed some of the economic reforms were of extremely dubious value, the administration reform only increased militancy. It seems like the unciv addition wasn't completely thought through.

It seems like you didn't read the tooltip for the reform you're getting rid of. And haven't read the manual ;)

I just had a fun game as Persia westernizing yesterday. During the non-westernized part of the game I conquered my surroundings (afghanistan, kalat, punjab, sindh, etc) and used focuses to increase bureaucrats and clergy. I westernized in the 1880's and ended up with the 5th best industry in the world and the Ottoman Empire and Russia in my sphere. All this despite not being a very good Victoria player (Russia wasn't having a good game way before I westernized). I'd say the catching up after the actual westernization part isn't that bad honestly (I expected it to be harder).
I don't think I had a boring game either, though obviously experience is bound to differ depending on what country you play and what westernization reforms you pick (Persia is far from the hardest country to westernise with after all).

I did never see any of the events that's supposed to boost research though.

Being in the UK's sphere sure helps when going to war with other countries in that sphere. I agree that annexing Sindh is very useful in a Persian game (not just for the tea though, it's also very densely populated) and that the administrative reform is actually _very good_ to have despite what other's in this thread argue (and I did exactly the same thing with bureaucrats in Tabriz as you did).
Another nice trick is annexing Afghanistan, it seems that country has higher literacy than Persia, when I conquered it I was able to enact the Persian RP-boosting decision right away afterwards, something that greatly helps for a would-be western Persia.

Last night I forced the Wind of Westernization event to fire through the console. I've played a few uncivs and have yet to see this event fire. It helps immensely! In about 10 years it doubled my RP rate but also caused raging militancy. Does anyone know why this event is so rare?

When this event is triggered via the console the game does not list the line "is_independant = yes" as being either unfulfilled or fulfilled (that line is simply ignored). This makes me suspect that it is bugged. Only one other event uses this trigger that I could find in the game.
I've tried changing it to "is_subject = no" instead and will see if I can get it to trigger by itself now...

EDIT: Then again if it's possibly to trigger it via the console and it's just ignored then the game ought to do the same so that's probably not why we aren't seeing it...

Last edited: