• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I second that idea. Just let nations recruit non-soldier pops when already mobilized. These could be trained faster but disappear when you demobilize.

That would certainly be interesting, but I don't know if it's doable in the engine.

I still think there will be major problems if this new Mobilization mechanic works the way it seems to be described here. It will essentially make mobilization fairly pointless since you can only mobilize a strong army if you already have a strong standing army (in which case you probably don't need the reserves), and if you have no standing army (such as if you've just been defeated in another war) then you can't mobilize at all, making defeat a certainty.

As others have said, I doubt the AI will be able to deal with this and it can very easily be exploited by a player. Say if I'm Austria and the Russians have just decimated the Ottomans in a war, destroying their whole army, now all I have to do is declare war on them and without mobilizing, or even using most of my army, I can wipe them out. In fact even a tiny country with only one division could beat the Ottomans in that case.

Last edited:
I've just read it, and AHD is now an esential purchase for me. :)

As others have said, I doubt the AI will be able to deal with this and it can very easily be exploited by a player. Say if I'm Austria and the Russians have just decimated the Ottomans in a war, destroying their whole army, now all I have to do is declare war on them and without mobilizing, or even using most of my army, I can wipe them out. In fact even a tiny country with only one division could beat the Ottomans in that case.

so you find it odd that beating up a country that has already had their entire army decimated would be easy? If it turns out to be a problem we can always give prestige hits or infamy when attacking someone who just signed a truce, but I dont think it will be a problem

I personally don't like the mobilization limit idea. The US for example, was a draft-heavy military; its troops can be classified as more as militias than actual professional soldiers, and the National Guard was small. If the USA can be classified by Anti-War, or even perhaps Pacifist parties on the extreme end (The US placed a much heavier emphasis on 'soft' imperialism, or using SoIs than through war and territorial expansion - other than Mexico, anyway; bloody Manifest Destiny), it would by no means be able to bring up an army powerful enough for its size.

It would also mean that countries would maintain large standing armies for most of the period - while most armies were reserves, and were conscripted and mobilized in case of a conflict - a large standing army was costly. Four times would not be a multiplier large enough to represent these masses either.

And these are just army reserves, not even having touched conscription. Mobilizing should not be limited so much.

I believe a better idea would be to limit the total amount of troops mobilized per month, depending on party policy. A Pacifist country would be hesitant, and would not have had the systems or infrastructure prepared to mobilize large amount of troops at once, while Jingoistic countries would be very willing and ready to do so.

Another aspect might be the increase of WE due to mobilization - it would fit nicely with Jingoism's -50% war exhaustion boni as well, and I don't think pure economic malus is sufficient.

EDIT: If the mobilization per month idea goes through, it would also be nice if mobilization was a gradual process - there was one set large amount of masses you could mobilize, and you go through by them by percentage, and you could decide to stop mobilizing, or begin mobilizing more troops as the war continues - although demobilization would be only available at once, most likely at the end of the war.

Last edited:
About the General switching thing... why don't you just give military units a timer when a different commanding officer is assigned to them. Until the timer runs out, they cannot move to other provinces or attack (because of reorganization and waiting for the new CO to arrive), but they can still defend themselves. Length of the timer depends on the following factors (those are all suggestions, if some of them are impractical, they don't have to be used, even if you like the idea):

- Organization level of the unit in question (relative to maximum possible org, not absolute)
- Tech level of your country (this can be attached to the Leadership techs, for example)
- Distance from capital (if you send someone from London to Manchester to command some unit, he'll arrive there way faster than if you send him from London to Delhi. Or Sydney. Again, modifiable by techs to represent faster transport available.)
- Size of the unit (one brigade is very easy to reorganize, fifty not so much)