Agricultural Adjustment Act was unconstitutional

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Cleaving3

Second Lieutenant
14 Badges
Feb 28, 2024
  • Magicka
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
The AAA program was declared unconstitutional by the Supreme Court, so why is it used as the first focus to get rid of the Great Depression? This seems like quite the oversight, unless I’m missing something.

Thoughts?

It was signed into law in 33, supreme court said it wasn't good in 36, and then in 38 it was amended?

Which is largely besides the point, the point being that it was a thing that happened. What other program or such would you want to take its place?

• 3Like
Reactions:
It was signed into law in 33, supreme court said it wasn't good in 36, and then in 38 it was amended?

Which is largely besides the point, the point being that it was a thing that happened. What other program or such would you want to take its place?
Exactly. Why do we do the focus in 1936, when that was the year it was declared unconstitutional? The way it’s framed in game is that it’s the act that helps fix the Great Depression, when in reality it already existed and, in fact, was REMOVED the year we do the focus.

Though, you are right, I’m not sure what should replace it.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Exactly. Why do we do the focus in 1936, when that was the year it was declared unconstitutional? The way it’s framed in game is that it’s the act that helps fix the Great Depression, when in reality it already existed and, in fact, was REMOVED the year we do the focus.

Though, you are right, I’m not sure what should replace it.
Then you can do other focuses before that? It's your choice to make

Last edited:
Then you can do other focuses before that? It's your choice to make
I know I can do other focuses before that, but still, it’s a focus you want to do as soon as possible.

This is really a realism discussion not a gameplay one. I’m fine with the way it is now, I was just seeking discussion about this.

Additional note: “Quite the oversight” is a bit of an exaggeration now that I think about it.

It represents the Government's desire to change the situation, even if it doesn't necessarily end up matching exactly the historical situation.

This is quite the nitpick.

Reactions:
In really the great depression branch is "ahistorical".

I think theres no other way to them implement it in historical frame, bacause the dates IRL are off time of the game. unless they replace it with another fillers.

WPA - 1935
Agricultural Ad. Act - 1938
FLSA - 1938
Federal Housing Act - 1934

• 1Like
Reactions:
It would be nice to have more to do as Roosevelt, including the battle with the Supreme Court where he threatened court-packing. The focus system isn't as good as I'd like for politics in democratic countries.

Reactions:
Perhaps each focus in that line of focuses could be edited to add:

+.02 Daily Communism Support.

1714885685486.png

That way, there would be a reason for a player to choose:

1714885734920.png

• 3Haha
  • 2Like
Reactions:
Jospeh McCarthy's availability as an advisor is itself somewhat ahistorical. He was a political nonentity in 1936, didn't win his first election as a circuit court judge until 1939, and didn't get elected to the US senate until 1946. Even then, he really wasn't politically famous until 1950 when he started going on about communists infiltrating the US government.

Martin Dies Jr. would be a much better fit for that role. He was elected to Congress in 1930 and was chairman of the Dies Committee from 1938 to 1944, a predecessor to the House Un-American Activities Committee. The committee investigated both communist and fascist political movements in the United States, but Dies spent a lot of his time trying to find communists in New Deal programs and the Roosevelt Administration, both of which he loathed.

Reactions:
Perhaps each focus in that line of focuses could be edited to add:

+.02 Daily Communism Support.

That way, there would be a reason for a player to choose:

View attachment 1128023

They'd need to unlock McCarthy (or more plausibly, Dies) from behind the America First branch then, as you currently can't complete the New Deal and also have McCarthy as an advisor

Reactions:
In really the great depression branch is "ahistorical".
so is attributing much of the government's actions as helping to end it

but the government attempting to do so anyway is definitely something usa tried, and i don't think players would enjoy taking a bunch of focuses that just hurt them, thus we get stuff made for the game

• 1Haha
Reactions:
(or more plausibly, Dies

oh! Good point.

I agree.

The Paradox designers went a bit out-of-time to include Joe McCarthy in the game.

A bit perplexing, as pointed out above by CV 10, given that there were more appropriate characters to fulfill the American role of -0.1 daily communism support.

E.g. Martin Dies, who was active during the HoI4 timeframe, whereas Joe McCarthy was not.

1714925699838.png

Reactions:
so is attributing much of the government's actions as helping to end it

but the government attempting to do so anyway is definitely something usa tried, and i don't think players would enjoy taking a bunch of focuses that just hurt them, thus we get stuff made for the game
i mean just the dates dont fit.

about the government part its is fine, i dont believe in "free market" or whatsover. in really i still use herbert hoover as prime example of naive dumb-head whos believe in "voluntarism" and failed.

Reactions:
i mean just the dates dont fit.

about the government part its is fine, i dont believe in "free market" or whatsover. in really i still use herbert hoover as prime example of naive dumb-head whos believe in "voluntarism" and failed.
it isn't just the dates that don't fit, both vanilla and especially kaiserreich's approach to governments "handling" the great depression is nonsense. i just accept it as a pure fantasy game mechanic for what it is since economic stuff other than "building the war machine up" is very much outside the scope of hoi 4

Reactions:
it isn't just the dates that don't fit, both vanilla and especially kaiserreich's approach to governments "handling" the great depression is nonsense. i just accept it as a pure fantasy game mechanic for what it is since economic stuff other than "building the war machine up" is very much outside the scope of hoi 4
a bit offtopic: USA FC could have some aesthetics upgrade, its seems just a enlarged generic focus tree.

• 1Like
Reactions:
a bit offtopic: USA FC could have some aesthetics upgrade, its seems just a enlarged generic focus tree.
Unless you follow a mostly historical path for USA, the generic tree is better: any path other than "Neutrality Act" lock out all your factory focuses except "Two Ocean Navy", which is only dockyards.