• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Sorry to interrupt - what are you planning to use the Labor reg for? I have tried to use them to speed up railroad building but have not had any success. I wonder what they may be good for.

Nice and informative AAR.

Just to answer - it helps with digging in (or should, that is what it does in other AGE games) whereas Engineers proper help you either with river crossing or for fortress attack/defence. So its a neat, cheap, defensive bonus

looks good, I can't get Parma/Pope to give me access either, so it may just be a case of plugging away.

I'm impressed at your dedication to the naval base, be good to see you get to the stage when that investment pays off

about the screenshots, I wouldn't use the 'attachment' mechanism for this forum (its really designed to upload info for tech/bug reports). Use one of the many free (ish) image hosting sites - photobucket and imageshack are popular with many (but there are plenty of alternatives). If you opt for imageshack (I use this one) download their freeware 'uploader' it makes organising images and embedding them a simple task

I did initially give imageshack a try but the image quality was not good when embedding the image. Not sure if that was an issue with how I was creating the image or the option i was using to upload? Probably worth trying again or giving photobucket a try.

The naval base is a vanity project pure and simple :laugh: If i am not a great power I can at least pretend. Again its not really a drain on the economy to do (again in my opinion it is too cheap to upgrade). From what i understand the larger the naval base the faster ships can be built (and possibly some ship types require a minimum level) so should i become Italy hopefully I can start knocking out a navy at a fairly decent clip. we shall see.

Sorry to interrupt - what are you planning to use the Labor reg for? I have tried to use them to speed up railroad building but have not had any success. I wonder what they may be good for.

Nice and informative AAR.

Welcome aboard always nice to know people are reading. From the 1.02 version of the manual I believe they give a small bonus to entrenchmant speed. A pretty useful bonus for a very cheap unit. I also read somewhere on the multiplayer thread that they help repair breaches during sieges. Don't quote me on this last one as I am not 100% sure if that is correct.

1856 July to December

Diplomacy

In August we finally get the break through we have been looking for by signing a mutual passage agreement with Parma. In case of war this now enables us to threaten 2 of Austria's provinces whilst Austria can only attack 1 of ours at Alessandria (Austria has no agreements with Parma and we will not seek a defensive alliance with Parma to ensure their neutrality in any war). To top it off Parma approaches us with a mutual supply agreement which we sign in November.

We will continue to seek passage rights with the Papal States (all our overtures were rebuffed this period) as a backup. In addition we will seek passage rights through Switzerland to give us a means to threaten Sudtirol (Trient) after we get our elusive commercial treaty.

Diplomacy.jpg

Economy

Our trade surplus remains on average around 300

We started the construction of the following:

• Merchant fleet x 2
  • Ammunition Shop in Sardinia (July)
  • Manufacturing plant in Sardinia (November)
No completed items in this period

Our internal demand is
  • 18 Food
  • 14 Common Goods
  • 10 Luxuries
We supplied this demand at 100% over this period. Our average satisfaction is 92% and our militancy stands at 5%

Organic Stockpile
Organic.jpg

Inorganic
Inorganic.jpg

Unfortunately the world demand for wine is starting to tail off. We are still selling 25 to 30 a turn about half of what we sold half a year ago. Ammunition is still in high demand and we will be focusing on building another couple of factories this will also have the side affect of absorbing our surplus stocks of chemicals and nitrates.

Every other structure we buy a trade fleet since it seems to give a boost to sales requests for our products.

We are spreading out our industrialisation away from Piedmont and trying to build our working and middle class in La Spezia and Sardinia. This should also keep all our eggs from being in one basket.

Military

We have added
  • A Coastal artillery regiment to Sardinia
In addition we increased fort level in Sardinia to 3 and started the extension of the fort at La Spezia to level 2.

As per usual Liguria expands its naval base to level 16 and begins work on level 17.

Again very little has changed. We have checked the journey time for 2nd Army to Po (Parma) is only 5 days (just in case)

Colonisation

We have changed our focus slightly instead of trying to push up colonial penetration a country at a time we have decided to focus merchants and trading posts on useful resources.

We have built merchants and trading posts
  • Lindi (East Africa) – Sugar
  • Dubai – Gems
  • Kumasi (West Africa) – Gold
  • Lome (Tropical Fruit)
  • Kampot
So basically a waiting game. Next year should see the start of the unification event chain so we will be trying to get all our pieces in place.

Last edited:
its fascinating to see your approach to essentially the same problems - not least with diplomacy. While I agree with the focus on France, I've become good mates with both the US and GB (the former as much for trade as anything else).

I'm also gleefully nicking some of your ideas ... :)

its fascinating to see your approach to essentially the same problems - not least with diplomacy. While I agree with the focus on France, I've become good mates with both the US and GB (the former as much for trade as anything else).

I'm also gleefully nicking some of your ideas ... :)

Makes me feel a bit less guilty as I have been pinching yours since you started! Great Britain is next on my smooch list mainly as they rule the waves and I am long way from being able to compete at sea. Its also probably not healthy to have every major power hate me.

Can't really comment intelligently this time round, so I decided to just ask a question: how is your research going? Are you directing effort into it (à la EU3 or HOI3), or is it more a autonomous process (à la Crusader Kings)? I've seen some other AARs feature screenshots of the research screen, so I guess I should rephrase: do you have to direct it, or will discoveries happen on their own, if you decide to ignore that screen?

Can't really comment intelligently this time round, so I decided to just ask a question: how is your research going? Are you directing effort into it (à la EU3 or HOI3), or is it more a autonomous process (à la Crusader Kings)? I've seen some other AARs feature screenshots of the research screen, so I guess I should rephrase: do you have to direct it, or will discoveries happen on their own, if you decide to ignore that screen?

You can invest in it and it makes it go faster, but left alone, you will discover new inventions/technologies. Just slower than if you invest. I asked a while back and never got a definitive answer - there was supposed to be a mechanism whereby you might discover a wartime technology while at war - kind of a war tech necessity type thing that you could only discover while at war, but no one ever answered me on that one, so not sure if it was implemented.

You can invest in it and it makes it go faster, but left alone, you will discover new inventions/technologies. Just slower than if you invest. I asked a while back and never got a definitive answer - there was supposed to be a mechanism whereby you might discover a wartime technology while at war - kind of a war tech necessity type thing that you could only discover while at war, but no one ever answered me on that one, so not sure if it was implemented.

I can confirm that it can happen.

Moreover, another issue: when I was researching an artillery technology and also built new units of guns, the volume of the increase of the % seemed to be bigger than in turns when I did not build any.

1857 January to June

Diplomacy

Overall this was a very frustrating period. We fail to make any progress in any of our stated goals. The Swiss stubbornly refuse a commercial agreement and the Papal State’s scoff at our requests for passage rights.

We do promise local support to Great Britain as part of our longer term aim to improve relations and send a diplomatic insult in the direction of Austria.

Almost with a sense of desperation we very nearly declare war on Majerteyn (Somalia) in attempt to gain full control of Mogadishu (Just for the need to do something!) however calmer heads prevail. Colonial matters are a distinctly dangerous diversion of resources with the unification of Italy still in the balance

DiplomacyEarly1857.jpg

Economy

Our trade surplus remains again on average around 300. With one stand out month where we made a profit of 500

• Merchant fleet x 2
  • Military gear plant in Liguria (January)
  • Textile shop in Sardinia (April)
  • Manufacturing plant in La Spezia (May)
We completed the following:
  • Merchant fleet x 2 – 1 is sent to the South China Sea whilst the other is sent to the Gulf of Mexico
  • Luxury goods shop in La Spezia (February)
  • Ammunition shop in Sardinia (April)
  • Railroad in Sardinia (May)
Our internal demand is:
  • 18 Food
  • 15 Common Goods (+1)
  • 10 Luxuries
We supplied this demand at 100% over this period. Our average satisfaction is 95% ; our militancy stands at 4%; literacy is 78%.

In February we completed another set of education reforms which lowers our militancy and slightly increases our literacy rate.

Our population breakdown is:
  • Peasants 58%
  • Workers 25%
  • Middle class 12%
  • Upper class 3%
  • Aristocrats 2%
Organic Stockpile
OrganicEarly1857.jpg

Inorganic
InorganicEarly1857.jpg

Our economy has changed considerably since 1850 as we are now nearly entirely self reliant in nearly every category with considerable surpluses available to trade and support our population.

Military

We have added:
  • A light cavalry brigade
  • Elite infantry replacements
  • Supply replacements
Liguria expands its naval base to level 17 and begins work on level 18.

With the limitation on our growth being conscripts which remains at 6 per turn. We are alternating our construction alternatively between replacements and new units.

Colonisation

Our military control over Mogadishu moves from a low point of 41% to the current standing of 68%.

Several trading posts come on line in this period providing us with a selection of required commodities.

When merchants are available again we will be targeting provinces which supply silk, tea and tobacco all products which we are currently finding it hard to obtain a regular supply.

TradepostsEarly1857.jpg

Not every trade post will provide a resource every turn therefore the above is a sample of the goods we are getting.

With our increased supply of private capital we also attempt our first Natural Society expedition in Ottomon held Assab

No events so far in the unification event chain have occurred. The next period will therefore be another of quiet husbanding of strength.

Last edited:
fascinating to see what is the same and what is different. You've very much gone down the mercantalist economic model judging by that usage of capital (-217) and your comments about being self-sufficient. I'm impressed with your tradeposts - all I'm getting is some cotton every now and then

You seem to be doing very well - but the same problem that loki has run into: the Unification chain not working as desired. 'tis A shame, but hopefully things will straighten themselves out in the next few turns.

fascinating to see what is the same and what is different. You've very much gone down the mercantalist economic model judging by that usage of capital (-217) and your comments about being self-sufficient. I'm impressed with your tradeposts - all I'm getting is some cotton every now and then

That screenshot of the trading posts was actually one of the less bountiful ones this period. I think my approach was affected by the start of the game shortages where I was struggling to keep factories going through the difficulty to acquire the various inputs on the world market. Basically pushed me down the path of being self sufficient. I won't continue that way I don't think as I have read Sir garnets advice about keeping the world economy ticking over.

It is mainly that I felt that up until the past few turns that I didn't have sufficient spare capital to invest in structures and buy up surplus stocks.

You seem to be doing very well - but the same problem that loki has run into: the Unification chain not working as desired. 'tis A shame, but hopefully things will straighten themselves out in the next few turns.

Not sure that it is not working yet. I think the first event is due any time now The problem is being patient I must come up with several mad plans per turn mostly just to spice things up. You never know I might give in to my more aggressive instincts.

Not sure that it is not working yet. I think the first event is due any time now The problem is being patient I must come up with several mad plans per turn mostly just to spice things up. You never know I might give in to my more aggressive instincts.

yep I keep on coming up with elaborate schemes for a war with Turkey

July 1857 to December 1857

Diplomacy

In a complete turn around the hawks amongst the kings advisors using perceived insults to the crown from tribesmen in Majerteyn manage to persuade the king and prime minister to declare war. Much to the dismay of the army whose garrison in Mogadishu consists of one colonial and one mixed expedition brigade. (In reality I had a rush of blood to the head probably caused by a few too many glasses of wine! Lessons to be learned alcohol and sensible gaming don’t always mix well)

Elsewhere Switzerland stubbornly refuses a commercial agreement but does finally allow a state visit. It is hoped that this boost to relations will soften attitudes and finally allow us to get our agreement.

The Papal states don’t budge either and refuse all entreaties for a mutual passage agreement. They to do accept a state visit.

Relations with Britain also steadily improve as they surprisingly also agree to a state visit.

In other news the Congress of London convenes to discuss the future of Italy

CongressOfLondon.jpg

and general Manfredo Franti gains several seniority points chasing down French rebels

RebelBash2.jpg

Majerteyn War Sept 1857 to ?

Initial plans for the war consist of ensuring that Mogadishu is held and to that end the forces there are reinforced by a field artillery regiment. A naval force of 2 scouting squadrons is also dispatched to the region. This force consists of soon to be obsolete wooden corvettes whose main purpose is to provide bombardment support to our ground forces.

The first couple of battles go our way

BattleMog1.jpg

BattleMog2.jpg

Further reinforcements have been earmarked under General Franti 2 light cavalry brigades; a field artillery regiment and a field hospital. A Marine Brigade will also be raised shortly.

Our plan is to garrison Mogadishu strongly and begin a systematic reduction of the enemy provinces using our remaining colonial troops by raising military control enough to build a fort and then moving on hopefully with the prospect of bringing the enemy field army (estimated at about 100 power rating) to battle.

Economy

We modified several taxes this turn to stimulate internal demand and raise state funds.
Tariffs were raised from 19 to 24%
Census Tax was raised from 3 to 5%
Corporate tax was raised to 7%
Excise tax was raised to 40%

In July the population of Genova increased to level 5 and the Referendum and Plebiscite reform was passed. We also mastered the technology Propeller driven ship

Tech1.jpg

• Merchant fleet x 2
  • Shipyard in La Spezia (July)
  • Railroad Mogadishu
We completed the following
  • Ammunition shop in Sardinia (July)
  • Manufactured goods factory in Sardinia (September)
  • Merchant fleet sent to American – Pacific trade box
Our internal demand is
  • 19 Food (+1)
  • 16 Common Goods (+1)
  • 11 Luxuries (+1)
We supplied this demand at 100% over this period. Our average satisfaction is 97% ; our militancy stands at 3%; literacy is 77%.

Our population breakdown is
  • Peasants 58%
  • Workers 26%
  • Middle class 12%
  • Upper class 3%
  • Aristocrats 2%
Organic Stockpile
OrganicLate1857.jpg

Inorganic
InorganicLate1857.jpg

During this period we have enough gold and gems to enable us to convert them to state funds for 2 months.

Military

We have added
  • Supply wagon x 3
  • 1 light and field artillery replacement
  • 2 x Transport ship replacements
Liguria expands its naval base to level 18 and begins work on level 19.
La Spezia completes a level 2 industrial fort and begins work on level 3

Colonisation

We are now in full military control of Mogadishu and have proceeded to build a railway and depot here. It is hoped that the railway will boost production enough to actually allow the Opium farm we built earlier to produce something.

Merchants and trade posts are sent to provinces where rare resources are produced
  • Zanzibar (2 Opium)
  • Hue (2 Silk, 1Tobacco, 1Wood)
  • Mandalay (2 Opium, 1 Gem)
  • Laisho (1 Tea, 1Gem)
  • Loughberang (2 Tea, 1 Wood) (No tading post built here yet)
We complete a natural expedition in Assab and begin an Anthropological survey of the same province

In late December we start an a natural history survey of Tripoli and search for new resources in Mogadishu with our prospectors.

Prestige

1857Late.jpg

F101857Late.jpg

Last edited:
The natives have 25,000 soldiers holed up in their tiny, pre-industrial fort? I didn't even know there were that many people in Somalia at the time... :p

On a more serious note, will those massive numbers pose a threat to you, or are you sufficiently advanced that you'll be able to beat them, even at something like 10-to-1 odds against you?