• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
XIV. The Imperialism of Ephron III

After the demise of Emperor Aratus II, the army agreed on the ascension of his 30-year old nephew, Ephron to the throne. Ephron III had not managed to distinguish himself until then, being markedly mediocre in everything he did, but he had not managed to make any enemies or any serious mistakes either. He was, in short, the most dependable candidate for seeing the continuation of the empire without getting any new and potentially destabilizing ideas into his head. He did have one outstanding trait, and that was his trustiness. That was how he came to accept Neoptolemus’ insistencies that he had nothing to do with his uncle’s death, and to keep him as governor of Dacia.

Soon after coming to power, though, Ephron began to explore new ideas that would begin to reshape his understanding of how the world works, and eventually the empire as a whole.

Having inherited a war against Pontus from his uncle, he was content to let his generals fight it, until Pontus’ submission in 713AVC.

With those new gains, the Achaean Empire reached the shores of the Caspian Sea. Ephron would have been content to rule in peace after that, dedicating his energies to the material betterment of his people, but the very next year Egypt started a war with the Seleucid Empire, in defiance of Achaean guarantees. Rhodes, as usual, insisted that the Achaeans honour their commitment, and so Ephron agreed to yet another war on Egypt. This time, however, he took personal command of an army, as he had come to know that emperors who do not display acts of martial prowess quickly lose favour with the army and with the people. Commanding one of the smaller armies, operating in one of the quieter fronts, in Upper Egypt, he established himself as a confident commander.

The following years saw continued successes against Egypt in the fields of battle, yet the Egyptians were able to secure concessions from both Pontus and the Seleucids, who were greatly pressed in their own territories.

But those successes in the east could not make up for Egypt’s failures in the west, and soon a pretender to the throne launched a civil war that wracked the country. The Achaeans fought both sides, and were able to make separate peace treaties, to their great advantage.

The end of the war, in 719AVC, saw Achaean gains in the Caucasus and Upper Egypt. In addition, three new independent states had sprung up from the chaos of the Egyptian civil war, which Ephron quickly guaranteed and showered with gifts. With the civil war still raging, Egypt was left in an unenviable position, as it was all too clear that it had permanently lost the fight for supremacy against the Achaean Empire.

With the Achaean borders safe, and succumbing to a sudden desire to learn more about the distant north, Ephron commissioned a military expedition to Caledonia, which soon established Achaean control over the north of Britania. The Achaean Empire thus became the third great power with holdings on the island, and Ephron made it clear that it would be interested in the affairs of the independent tribes there. That was how, when the Roman Senate declared war on the Orismii tribe of Cornwall, the Achaean Empire had a casus belli to attack Rome.

After meticulous preparations and movements of armies, the declaration of war was delivered on 25 April 721AVC. Immediately, the Achaeans attacked with overwhelming force all across the border.

That the war lasted four years was solely a factor of the resistance put up by the many walled cities of the Roman republic, as their armies put up only token resistance. Carthage declared its own war, a few days after the Achaeans, but although it was victorious it was curiously content to make peace for only a small indemnity in gold; possibly because the rapid advance of the Achaean armies meant that there was little territory the Carthaginians could occupy, to use as leverage in a peace treaty, and there were few Roman armies to defeat in battle.

Meanwhile, the loyalists in Egypt retook Alexandria, limiting the rebels to possession of Cyprus, but the Egyptian throne had been shaken irreparably. With the death of the old pharaoh, a three-year-old girl was said to rule from the new capital, in Mygdonia.

When the Roman Senate finally conceded its defeat, in 725AVC, it granted strategic concessions to the Achaeans in Italy. The Adriatic became an Achaean sea, and its provinces in Magna Graecia and Sicily became linked by land to the rest of the empire.

Rhodos has been the Achaean League's stalwart ally since forever. It's never going to lose its independence. Pontus, on the other hand, survived for so long because I found it convenient as a buffer against Egypt, and now it's probably too late in the game to conquer it, because it has three provinces in the east. They are currently in rebellion, but I don't know if that means I can get the 100% warscore I need for an annexation if I occupy Pontus itself.

Only 5 years to go. The next chapter will be the last.

The last chapter! :cry: Well, at least it was a good story. 5/5 rating.

Your borders are fantastic, I must say!

The last chapter! :cry: Well, at least it was a good story. 5/5 rating.

Thank you! All AARs must end, and I often find it sadder when they don't...

Your borders are fantastic, I must say!

Thank you too! I've tried to keep them reasonable.

XV. The Peace of Nikon

Ephron had turned out to be a good emperor: just and inventive, a well-rounded personality steering the ship of the state on a course of continuous expansion. But the gods called him away from this earth far earlier than his predecessors, when he was only 47 years old. He was succeeded by the eldest son of Aratus II, Nikon.

Nikon was, in many ways, the opposite of Ephron III. Where Ephron was balanced in his humours, Nikon was a man of personality extremes. He was righteous and sarcastic, unquestionably charismatic but with no real martial talent or finesse once one got past his charm. He had also been born when his father was emperor, so was the first Achaean emperor ‘born in the purple’, as it has now become customary to say. In all these ways and more, his ascension to the throne was a turning point for the Achaean Empire. Nikon announced the ‘Achaean Peace,’ that would from that point prevail throughout his large realm. Achaean policy would become defensive, to limit the worrying tendency of soldiers to give their loyalty to the many competing conquering Achaean generals. To signify this change of policy, diplomatic relations were improved with most neighbouring states, although Nikon stressed to Rome and Parthia, in particular, that he would not tolerate any aggression.

At that time, the Achaeans’ most powerful ally, Carthage, experienced a civil war. Nikon decided to stay out of it, since the Carthaginian senate would no doubt come out victorious on its own.

All across the empire, the cities were outfitted with foundries and aqueducts, the latter supplying all houses with running water through modern, lead pipes. As he considered those abundant signs of progress, Nikon couldn’t imagine how the future could hold anything but peace and prosperity for the great Achaean Empire.

And as the year 731AVC dawned, for Nikon it was just another morning.

THE END

World map:

List of tyrants/emperors of the Peneid dynasty:

Overview of the Achaean Empire in 731AVC:

Countries of the known world in 731AVC:

The historical expansion of the Achaean League/Empire up to 731AVC:

Congratulations on a fantastic AAR. Fantastic read.

And so ends the final Rome AAR......for now. Are you ever going to do another EU Rome AAR? They are my favorite but unfortunately, this part of the forum is mostly dead.

Congratulations on a fantastic AAR. Fantastic read.

Many thanks! I always like to entertain.

And so ends the final Rome AAR......for now. Are you ever going to do another EU Rome AAR? They are my favorite but unfortunately, this part of the forum is mostly dead.

I've had an idea for another, less conventional one, but I may spend some time on the other Paradox games before coming back to Rome. I'd also have to do some experimenting and see if my idea can actually work, first. But it would be sad if this were to be the actual last EU Rome AAR...

Congratz on finishing! It was fun seeing the tiny league battle it out through the ages.

Shame we don't yet have CK2 conversions for Rome AFAIK... :)

Please provide us with a link to your next AAR, once the time comes.

Reactions:
Congratz on finishing! It was fun seeing the tiny league battle it out through the ages.

Thanks! It was even more fun playing with it.

Shame we don't yet have CK2 conversions for Rome AFAIK... :)

Please provide us with a link to your next AAR, once the time comes.

I will! In the meantime, readers can peruse my older, Vic2, AARs. Some of them were quite popular in their time.

1- Your Ionian Island AAR was awesome! I just finished reading it.

2- How come you never followed your idea of forming Babylon using Iraq?

Ah, I had forgotten about that. I ended up going with the Panjab option, which led to my most celebrated AAR, Subcontinental Subtleties. That kept me occupied for a couple of years, and by its end I was spent. This has been my first AAR after the completion of Subcontinental Subtleties, almost a year ago (not counting a silly little CK2 AAR which was one post long).

So, I started a new AAR, only it's in CK2, so I've put my EU Rome idea on hold, for the time being. You can see it here.

Thank you (belatedly)!

I think with F12, or maybe F10. I haven't played Rome in a while, so I'm no longer sure. F11 is for normal screenshots.