100 years war as a Struggle mechanic ?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I'm not sure about those numbers, a game like Fortnite probably has 10 times more average players and I still wouldn't want anything from that game borrowed by Project Caesar.

CK3 is a poor game with a few decent mechanics, just like Vic 3, and Struggles isn't even one of those.

I'll agree with one thing though, CK3 walked so this game can RUN... hopefully in the opposite direction.
why is this about ck3 suddenly ?
and are you seriously comparing ck3 to fortnite ?
why not compare helldivers 2 or fifa to a pdx game too while at it .
like you seriously think the audience is into 4x ? its a small market mate . the best you can get in Rts is around 25k concurrent players at best or 6k on slow day or 1000 for games maintained by its cult fans like vic2 , medieval 2 , rome1 etc .
your logic is broken and unfair to the genre .

Reactions:
The constructive part is how they shouldnt copy ck3. You can also look at various dlc reviews to see how disliked the game is, even if people still play it
every pdx dlc have bad reviews and often related to price vs content . its same in total war , its same in any game you find them very positive then you click on a dlc and you find it on red

• 2Like
Reactions:
Ck3 has had no organic struggles, they all exist at a start date, and the 2nd, the iranian intermezzo, exists only in 867. Although theyre meant to slow things down, in some cases they let you solve things far sooner than irl, which is your complaint about the 100 YW.
War is meant to be far costlier in PC than eu4, so you shouldnt be able to take all the english land by 1339 as france but will likely have to let england keep some land. The 100YW had many periods of peace, followed by crises leading to wars.
Also if youre trying to use a map to illustrate a point, you should use an English one
the periods of peace and diplomacy and those of war are why i thought the struggle mechanic could work here .

no one said and nothing prove it will be copy past from ck3 but just inspired and improved rework like the rest of the mechanics and this is my point .
i mean isnt most mechanics in eu5 already better than vic 3 and imperator ? why should it not be the case with a reworked struggle system ? this was my idea . i didnt ask for a copy past but inspiration and for special treatment for some regions with complicated situations like japan . i would love a daimyo & shogun system in this game that work in a way that allow interesting events and inner conflicts instead of the eu4 example who is near static .

the twitter kind of answers from the rest was totally unnecessary they turned the whole place to a toxic waste

Reactions:
like you seriously think the audience is into 4x ? its a small market mate . the best you can get in Rts is around 25k concurrent players at best or 6k on slow day or 1000 for games maintained by its cult fans like vic2 , medieval 2 , rome1 etc .
The PDX games (Stellaris aside) are neither 4X nor RTS. They primarily derive from boardgames - specifically strategy wargames.

But that is beside the point. The point they were making is that just because a game is popular does not mean it is necessarily good, or that its mechanics should be copied into other games tangentially related to it. I still play and enjoy CKII, but Medieval The Sims 3 is, in my opinion, fundamentally a bad game. Why do I think this? Plenty of reasons, but that is not relevant here. The overall point should still be salient.

Of course even beyond this, you were the one who brought up a CKIII mechanic in the first place. People responded to you in the negative. You claimed that CKIII was a "fun game" and that it had "15k players on average." Unfortunately, as they said, being played often does not mean a game is good. And "fun" is subjective. I don't think CKIII is fun at all - I think it is boring, generic slop, both visually and mechanically. You, of course, may feel otherwise. There are plenty on these forums whose opinions are similar to mine, there are those similar to yours, and those in the middle.

I have submitted my concerns for these kinds of mechanics already. But I will go again. The struggle phases are both way too open and way too restrictive. They also only offer interesting gameplay for perhaps the first couple centuries (so even more frontloading). They also ignore external factors. They will no doubt be used as an excuse by the devs to sell useless, event-churner DLCs (like in CKIII - I'm sure even you will agree on this point). See, there's no novel ways you can come up with to solve the problem of the struggle. You have to follow what the devs want you to do. As always, people will put the cart before the horse. Instead of "I will play as I play, and see the ending I get," it will be "what should I do to get this ending?" And that sucks, it's boring.

• 3Like
Reactions:
the periods of peace and diplomacy and those of war are why i thought the struggle mechanic could work here .
The struggle phase is x so you can do y isnt at all intuitive tho. Nor is only being able to do y because youre in the struggle. Look at how much iberian struggle opens up thats normally reserved to the perk trees
no one said and nothing prove it will be copy past from ck3 but just inspired and improved rework like the rest of the mechanics and this is my point .
i mean isnt most mechanics in eu5 already better than vic 3 and imperator ? why should it not be the case with a reworked struggle system ? this was my idea . i didnt ask for a copy past but inspiration and for special treatment for some regions with complicated situations like japan . i would love a daimyo & shogun system in this game that work in a way that allow interesting events and inner conflicts instead of the eu4 example who is near static .
Why have a japanese struggle rather than have Japan modelled so that when the Shogunate is weak the samurai begin to fight it out. So if the Ashikaga goes from strength to strength their never is a sengoku jidai
the twitter kind of answers from the rest was totally unnecessary they turned the whole place to a toxic waste
By twitter answers do you mean people writing less than 100 words?

• 2Like
Reactions:
every pdx dlc have bad reviews and often related to price vs content . its same in total war , its same in any game you find them very positive then you click on a dlc and you find it on red
No one updates reviews for the main game unless they do a dumb price raise, most are done when first released and then you realise the game is actually borked

• 1Like
Reactions:
Which, given that we've heard much a mention of some variety of limited warfare, those might translate into very real gains.

Now that's a fright: having the AI declare war on you when you're off on another front and you're on much tighter notice to divert attention over there.

• 4Like
Reactions:
thats not a constructive comment . and ck3 is a fun game played by 15k players average .
when you respectively disagree you state a logic reason you dont just say bias
this is not the type of comment i made this post for .
also not sure if you know this or not but this game is not " borrowing" its improving . previous games walked so this game can RUN not stagnate
View attachment 1124268
Dragon Age II is sitting at overwhelmingly positive there too as well iirc

CK3 is a terrible game.
CK3 is a good game about character dynamics. The warfare is not great, especially not realistic and it would absolutely not work for project Caesar (or EU5). The struggle mechanic is indeed bland in CK3, but that doesn't make it uninteresting to develop or take inspiration from. EU5 will be a game that tries to be realistic it seems, CK3 is more fictional. It's different.

• 5Like
Reactions:
I've not played much CK3 since release, so not sure how the struggle mechanics work there.

• 3Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
All I can see coming from that is the AI turning irrational and starting losing wars seemingly on purpose. only making things more lopsided for everyone.

Unfortunately, it's very easy to type suggestions that amount to "just make the AI smarter and acting more player-like" and it's very hard to do that.
Rather than that, I think the best solution would be to make information about other states much harder to obtain- something like what Stellaris has. And this would be for the player and AI alike. More aggressive AI would guess the enemy to be on the weaker side of the range when judging on declaring war, less aggressive would guess the enemy to be on the stronger side.

Reactions:
I don't think any system has to work like CK3's does, but the basic idea of having a system to model a conflict that can last generations is pretty interesting. There are definitely multiple examples in the time period where a series of wars were about the same kind of issues (claims, religious wars) but weren't resolved in the amount of time that a typical EU4 war would last. I was actually watching my friend's EU4 stream a while back, before Project Caesar got its first dev diary, and one issue that was brought up is how the EU series can't really model things like the Thirty Years War satisfyingly at the moment. Of course, what gets represented through these kinds of systems versus a regular war is then the next question.

• 4Like
Reactions:
Limited wars, border raids, flavor events, maybe scripted peace's and plague in middle of it

It should not be understated how the war shaped both english and french politics, it should be a disasterlike event that locks french and english politics (like declaring war outside of it) until it is resolved, england should start with the upperhand (maybe a flavor for longbows) but be held back by slow nature of war...and france eventually turn it around (maybe flavor like jeanne d'arc)

France should in the end win, but its not about who wins... but the perils and advancements made by the war.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Note that agincourt probably kickstarted french Absolutism by wiping all of the nobility at once...

Reactions:
You based your suggestion on "ck3 is popular so it must be good", so i showed you games that are even more popular. Stop trying to bring the silly $40 buttons from that game, for the love of God.

Mechanics like Struggles aren't actually interesting mechanics, they're just meant to produce flashy screenshots and be an excuse to charge more money from the player base.

• 1Like
Reactions:
You based your suggestion on "ck3 is popular so it must be good", so i showed you games that are even more popular. Stop trying to bring the silly $40 buttons from that game, for the love of God.

Mechanics like Struggles aren't actually interesting mechanics, they're just meant to produce flashy screenshots and be an excuse to charge more money from the player base.
One day we'll know how these gifs were meant to market fates of iberia
02_FOI.gif

04_FOI.gif

• 3Like
Reactions: