• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(8345)

Drunken Pirate
Mar 22, 2002
Visit site
OOC: I'm scared as hell to post this, but here goes nothing lol. This is based on a french game, although I will drag every year out, this will take a while for updates. Please be patient :) *passes out beer* Now let's get on with it.

The Final Knight: a Novel of war, romance, treachery, honor, and heroes.

Prologue: The search for truth

"Allow me to introduce myself, I am Alexander Durham, a scholar of the ages." "You have obviously heard of the heroes of the past, like Joan D' Arc and Gustav Wasa, but there are others that helped them, that set everything all up so they could finish what they started..." "Please sit down and let me tell you about one of them." He left the room and came back with wine and a big book. "Now let us.. Talk, this book is about a man, a simple mercenary from the woodlands of Germania. The people called him a murderer, a blasphemer, a womanizer. Until he went the biggest adventure of his life. He took the biggest gamble of his life.. And only time would tell if he would win it..."

Chapter 1: The Meager

April 9, 1417, Bordeaux

The sun finally set, but its red light still covered the horizon. The road ahead seemed to get narrower and narrower. The trees soon covered us, perfect I thought; already I was beginning to gain more knowledge of war. I looked at the other men, some still in a daze from waking up so suddenly. The Duke of Bedford told us to sleep after we ate.. Then he wakes us up two hours later? Made no sense, till now. I looked at the duke; he was looking around at everything in sight, every sound that he heard that was not us he kind of flinched. There is no way the French could ambush us here. I rode up to the Duke. He turned and smiled at me.

"Now finally you get to prove your worth, Captain."

"Yeah.." Then I heard a sound, I turned and saw something move through the trees. I pulled on the reins and followed the figure. "I'll be back, watch yourselves!" I said to the Duke and his men. I rode until I got to a clearing; I got off my horse and started to look around. More figures were running around, and then they came into the twilight.

"I should have known you guys would've pulled something like this. I don't think you know who your dealing with..." I said as I drew both my swords. The Frenchman eyed me and moved to surround me. They started to talk to each other, and then nodded in agreement. I knew what was to happen; I remembered my father's lessons well. "Use your speed to your advantage." He said once. It echoed through my mind as the Frenchman rushed me. All of a sudden, I back flipped over the guards behind me. They stood in awe as I flew over. Then, as soon as I hit the ground I rushed the closest soldier and hacked him in one slice. Two more soldiers rushed me, but they too joined their fallen comrade. After I was finished with them. I sat down, leaning on a tree.

"Did I really do that? Is that what my father, the noble duke of Prussia taught me? I.... I never killed anyone..Why? Is this, the life of a merc? Is this what I really wanted? What else is there? I thought about it for a few minutes, then I heard a scream.

"Dammit! They got them too!" I shouted. "But what do I do?" Then I came to me, I had to fight, there was nothing else, I had no one else, just the two sabres I wield. I got on my horse and rode back on the path. I was checking everywhere for the army, until I saw a soldier on the ground bleeding. I got off my horse and ran to him.

"Cap'n!" He shouted "Archers.. Archers everywhere. Then their knights attacked our front and rear." "There's a spy.." He winced in pain.

"Stop, don't talk" I said as I was taking the arrows out

"It's ok, Viktor, I.. I ain't afraid anymore." He turned and drew his last breath. I shut his eyes and leaned him on the tree

"Nether am I kid, neither am I." I said. I got back on my horse and rode ahead further. I saw the fighting finally. Both sides were at a stalemate, seems like they did not bring enough. I saw the Duke and rushed over to him.

"Where in bloody hell have you been!?” He shouted.

"I got ambushed too, I heard what happened, what's the plan?"

"Take some of my guard, Bordeaux is wide open, take it and let's end this fight now."

I nodded, I called for the guard and picked 200 men and rode out. We went deep into he woods we moved silently until we found the city. "Look at that." I said smiling "When the French retreat we will rush the gates, they will be open then. Now when we get in, we close the gate and trap them outside. While were in there we take the city, anyone the resists, which means attack us, dies. If any of you kill an innocent peasant, I will cut you down myself." I shouted. I turned to see the French coming up the hill.

"Let's go, they're here."

A good beginning. I'll be interested to see where this leads you.

Just curious, will you be shifting POV or sticking with Viktor throughout?

Wasa: You better ;)

OOC: After this, the game actually starts(1419) that's why this part is so short.

The gate guards were nowhere in sight. It seemed all too easy, so we took advantage and rode straight in. I checked around and then we went for the gatehouse. “The French are coming!” I shouted, “Close it now!” The guards nodded and one of them pulled the lever, only to watch it snap. “Damned French engineering!” I said. I went over to the wheel that pushed the gate up and down and pulled on it. “Give me a hand, together we’ll bring it down.” I shouted to my men. The wheel turned and slowly the gate fell, just in time.

We walked out of the gatehouse and into the city; we saw the French shouting at us as the English charged from behind. “Ok, now we take the city square. They know we are here now so be careful, scatter the city guards, but don’t follow them, stay together and we’ll win. They nodded. “Oh, and don’t die trying to be a hero, that’s my job.” I smiled. “Ok, let’s go.”

I took the vanguard; we went into a tight formation since the streets were narrow. The French guards had a few archers in their ranks, the rest all heavy infantry with assorted weapons. They positioned themselves opposite and took a defensive stance “You guys are fools to take us head on!” I shouted as we charged them. We met them and the fight ensued. The sound of clashing swords met my ears and I reveled in it. I cut down the nearest Frenchmen and started to look around for more, only to find an archer with his sights on me. I stared at him, I was completely frozen, and I watched the arrow fly at me and hit… my shoulder. I fell off my horse grimacing in pain. I pulled it out and looked around for the archer, he had his eyes, and his bow set on me again. This time I was ready. I dodged the arrow, but this time it hit one of my men. I saw him fall down, holding his neck. At that moment, I became enraged. I turned around and saw them. I traced the Cross in the air and said “May God have mercy on you, because I won’t!” I rushed them and killed them with no remorse… All I saw was red, anything that got in my way I cut down. Then, all of a sudden, everything became black.

I finally woke up in a small room. Nothing seemed familiar at all. The walls were plain and the room was just about empty. Then the Duke walked in.

“You ok?” He asked.

“Yeah… I think. What happened?” I responded

“You fought like a demon possessed, never saw anything like it. You must’ve slain 100 soldiers.”

“How? I don’t even remember…”

“Don’t worry about it, get some sleep.” He said as he left. I had the worst feeling in my stomach. I got up and left the room. I walked out of the fortress and the city. As I left the people blankly stared at me, some backed away. “They are afraid of me?” Some called me “Butcher.” I shook my head and left. I couldn’t believe this was happening, I kept trying to convince myself it was a dream, but it wasn’t. I approached a small river and looked at my reflection, then at that second I turned away.

“I can’t even look at myself…” I drew both my swords. “Am I really a monster?” “I only did what I had to... It wasn’t my fault. I threw both my swords in the river. “Never again then… Never again. I walked away on the beaten path, never looking back. I’d never fight another battle again.

Or so I thought…

*hand snakes up faster than the eye can see and snags a thing necked bottle*

Thanks for the beer!

Nice setup. Well written. Did he really kill 100 men all by himself :D

And... ah... Alexander Durham? I'll have to check the family tree on that one...

Keep it coming. I look forward to more.

Hey. Shades of one of my favourite RPGs: "Torment". Intentional? Hmmmm. :D

Nicely done.

LD: a lot more actually.. lol, I didn't even realize, oops :(

MrT (heh that's my nickname at school) Actually without even thinking about it it reminds me more of Final Fastasy Tactics.. i unfortuately never heard of Torment.. :( which gives me an idea.. lol

The story will lighten up a lot more. almost done the next update :)

shoot :(

OOC: sorry fellas for the lack of updates, I have an internship for school I gotta do and I work at night now. I have a small update now, and should have a load more on the weekend :)

The Silent Dove Tavern, Orleans, 1419

“Was it good for you too?” They asked.

“Yeah girls, it was incredible.” I gave a relaxed sigh and took another swig of the sweet wine. The waitresses leaned closer to me, they both looked tired. I sat back and pulled them closer, and then I heard talking upstairs.

“Is he here?” A voice said.

“Yeah, but he’s a little busy, can ya wait a few minutes?” Another voice answered, I knew it was the bartender.

“Ok, I got business, sorry girls, no seconds.”

“But Viktor...”

“Hey now, I’ll be back later tonight, ok?” I kissed them on their foreheads, put on my clothes, and went up the stairs. As soon as I got to the top I stretched out then I looked around.

“Hey boss.” I said to the bartender, “Where’s the guy at?”

“Over in the corner table.” He responded. I walked over to the other side and looked at my client, he was definitely a French officer; his armor and his coat of arms gave him away. He was a man just about my height, although a bit smaller. He had narrow, green eyes, which seemed to stare right into your heart. He signaled for me to sit, I looked at him again then sat down.

“This better be good my noble French idiot, lose any more battles?” I said sarcastically. “Do you know what I’m missing right now because of you?” I said irritably. He cracked up laughing, I was thinking about smacking him and going back but then he spoke.

“I’ve come the in the stead of my Liege, the king of France.” He said with a regal tone.

“Ok, look, drop the bloody accent and tell me your name.” The Frenchman looked a little startled. He then got his composure back and went to speak.

“I am Sir Jean Dubois of the 22nd guard. I’m from Paris, I have orders to hire your services to fight for the glory of the Crown of France.” He said. I was in complete shock; the same people that were after me for 2 years now want me to help them? Are they that desperate? Are their soldiers that hopeless that they’re hiring mercs? I kept thinking about it. I knew I’d say no but did keep thinking, what if? What if England took over? What would happen? Would there be another Bordeaux? Not if I had anything to say about it. I thought about it in a different way as Dubois looked at his drink. Maybe this is my chance to make things right again. I looked up and asked,

"What's the pay?" He looked up starled again, then went to speak.

"1000 ducats each year of service, also all your army expenses will be paid if they decide to make you a general which they probably will anyway." he answered with a smile. "Listen." he said, "I know what you went through..."

"Don't worry about it." I cut him off "Let's get outta here" I told him, he nodded and we left. The sun was about to set as we left, we looked up and then saw a giant shadow come over us, then hit a building. "Trebs!" I shouted "Damn, who could it be!?" Dubois ran up the wall stairs and up into the tower. I followed up and saw the entire English army assembled in front of us. "This looks like a gamble i'm gonna lose..." I whishpered to myself.

OOC: I could use some maps to help show what the battles were like, if anyone knows how to make some PM me PLEASE! :D thanks

The Siege of Orleans. Feburary 12, 1419

Elaine looked around her room, everything was in order for the first time ever, too bad it would be her last time here. She sighed and sat down again. She heard a meow and looked down to see her cat pushing against her ankle. Elaine smiled and picked her up and put her on her lap. "I know, I'll miss you too Duchess" she said lovingly to it. As she petted her she looked around the room, at all the books she studied in her time at the cathedral. Then the door creaked open and she turned to see her teacher standing in the doorway with two knights. "My Lady, your bodyguards are here." She got up and greeted both men.

"I am Sir Darren, and this is Sir Tybalt. Your father the King has sent us." The knight said.

"Very well, Simon I have to go now." She frowned

Simon went over and hugged her "Go with God my child." he said calmly

"You too." She pulled away and turned towards the door.

Then a loud crash sounded and a solider limped into the room a few seconds later "The English..." He went down as Simon held him up.

"Let's go..." Tybalt said with a smile. They both ran out, but stopped when they saw them all.

"How the hell are we gonna fight them like this?" Darren asked. He looked around and counted at least 20 of them. Then the door on the other side opened and two figures stood there, eying the knights and the English, then calmly started to walk over.

"Need a hand boys? One of them asked, the knights and so were the English were staring in shock at them, They were both women, in armor, and with long halberds.

"This is a joke, right? "Tybalt said.

"Silence, you idiot knights! We're the merc group Angels of Death! We haven't lost a fight yet. Mia, Let's cut these tea drinking fools down!"

"Ok sis!" Mia responded. And the fight ensued. The guards were no match for the knights, But during the fight Darren turned around to see of the princess was ok, but she was gone...

"Hurry up you fool!" I shouted at Jean I looked around for any more soldiers.

"Viktor, I'm tired, I need to rest." He said wearily, he sat down and leaned against the wall. "Damn rooftop jumping, the hell are we doing?"

"You wanna fight all the way into the castle Jean?" I asked, he nodded no. "That's what I thought." I looked around again, then I heard a noise, I leaned closer to the railing and listened again, I heard it again, and this time I knew what it was.

"Hey, Jean, something's happening, we gotta go!" I shouted as I ran towards the place where I heard the noise.

"Ok, ok I'm coming." He responded. We jumped from rooftop to rooftop until I saw it.

"Let's go Jean." I said as we jumped down, as soon as we hit the ground we drew our swords. "Hand the woman over and i'll let you leave with your head." I said.

"Oh really?" The noble turned around and faced me I was in shock when I saw him. It was the same guy that changed my life forever.

"You son of a bitch, you're still alive? Well I'll fix that now!" I was enraged i looked at my blade, "Looks like I finally get to use ya." I thought I made The Sign of The Cross in the air and I said, "In the name of God i'm sending you back to hell!"

"I don't think so." He drew a dagger at the woman and pointed it at her neck. "Tell me something boy, why are you working for them? You know they are falling apart." He said to me.

"No." I answered. I gave him an ice cold stare. "I will right the wrongs, I will unite France! And I will kick your sorry asses all the way to London!" I took a dagger out of my satchel and hid it.

"Go ahead then, try it." He smiled at me and then I threw it at him. It struck his hand and he dropped the knife and the woman ran to us. I rushed the Duke and his guards. "Jean, get her outta here!" Then I saw more come out of the cathedral, but then they went on my side.

"Where's the Princess?" The knight asked. "That was the Princess?" I thought. Then a guard ran up to Bedford and knelt before him.

"M'lord, it's ready."

"Do it now!" He screamed. He turned to us and said "Welcome to Hell!" and ran off. I tried to chase him but, I looked up and the sky turned bright red and the fire arrows fired from their archers engulfed the city. I turned to the others for an answer, becuase I had none.

"Cap'n, it's ok, we got the people out in time, The Duke of Orleans and his men are on their way to Paris." Tybalt said. I let out a sigh in relief and in anger, I wanted to get him here, but I missed him.

"Let's get outta here, before the fire spreads here." I said. We ran outside and took a few horses and rode out of the city. I looked and saw the dogs of Henry V marching into what was left. I felt bad, and for once, there was nothing I could do. "Were we that powerless? Was Bedford right? No, if I thought like this, they would win." We marched on now knowing what stood against us, but I was the only one that knew that we could make it.

The Battle at Clarmont Bridge, Feburary 14, 1419

We joined the Duke's forces and they made me commander of the Orleans guard, which totaled 7000 souls. A thousand were cavalry, mostly spear with light armor. 2000 were archers and the rest were infantry. The heavy type with plate mail, broadswords, halibards, axes and spears with large shields. I organized what was left and lead them to the Seine River.. Which would be the fight of my life.

"Commander," Darren said, "The blasted Burgundian forces are chasing us! General Jean De Prissy is leading them himself!"

"Damn it, we were so close.." I said. I thought for a moment then I looked at the river. "Wait, I have an idea. Gather everyone over here."

"Ok, Commander" Darren rode back.

"This should be interesting." I thought "But if I mess up, at least they'll be safe..." I heard them coming back up and I turned to greet them.

"What's your great plan?" Tybalt said

"Yeah this should be good." Mia and Tio chimed in.

"Ok, ok, Here's what we're gonna do, I'm going to take the 7000 men and fight them myself."

"Are you insane?" Jean said, his look changed almost immeditately to a worried look, along with the others, even the princess thought I lost it. I started laughing at them.
"Heh, listen, we're gonna use that bridge. My men and I will hold it, it will only allow a small number of troops on, plus I will postion archers along the coast with the infantry on the bridge."

"That makes sense." Darren said

"You guys promise me you make it to Paris alive though."

"We will." They said.

"Then get outta here, Tio and Mia, stay here, I'm gonna need you both."

"Ok." they said. And the rest rode off in haste.

"Now assemble!" I started barking out orders at the troops and in an hour we were finally ready for them. I stood in the vanguard. I looked around and checked for De Prissy's men, Then I saw them, marching along the road, right in the open. I turned to the archer captain. he knew what to do. "Let them know we're here." I said. The captain walked over to the archers. "Archers! Load and aim!" I looked at them all do it in unison then I looked at De Prissy's force and asked one of my scouts, "How many?"

"At least 10000 men." He said. "We can take them can't we boss?" He looked a little worried. I put my hand on the kid's shoulder.

"Yeah don't worry about it, he's pretty bold only using this many troops." I smlied "You'll be fine, I'm here, remember?" I turned to the archers. "Here we go.." I thought

"Fire!" I heard the sound of the quivers being fired, the sky turned dark brown with the arrows flying towards the Burgundian Guard. I watched them look up and raise their shields to try to block them, for some, it was too late, and I watched them drop to the ground. They still kept on marching as the arrows filled the skies and struck them. Then another scout came running up to me. He was just out of breath and was gasping for air.

"My lord.." He gasped, "The enemy has sent a small force across a bridge south of here."

I laughed "I knew that would happen, Tio and Mia will handle them. I let them take the cavalry. All we have to do is hold the bridge for a few hours.." I drew my sword, "Here they come, keep your guard up, these guys are the real deal." I watched them get on the bridge and then a few knights charged ahead. "Stupid fools, I'll take them myself." Only one was on a horse the others were running alongside. I charged ahead and rushed the first one I got to. I cut right through him in one slice as I ran for the next. I jumped and cleaved the next without even thinking about it. I looked for the rest and found the other two. The knight on the horse took off his helmet and I took a long glance, I knew who it exactly was.

"Viktor! I finally found you! You drunken womanizer! You stole my wife's virginity and my money!" screamed the knight. I started laughing, I remembered how in my journeys I saved a woman from a evil marquis, I didn't know that she was married. She also gave me all her gold and jewels "Oh well, it was worth it." I thought. "Well, you found me, now what are you gonna do?" The fighting started to surround us as I looked for De Prissy, he was nowhere in sight. I turned to Sir Faulker. He looked straight at me and said "I'm gonna take you apart... I'm going to cut your limbs off and hang them in the four corners of France to warn the others to never cross me or My Liege, King Henry the..."

"Shut up, your making me fall alseep, c'mon and try it already." I cut him off. Then he charged straight at me and then I moved to the side, and watched him fall off the bridge screaming as he fell a short distance feet into the water. I took his horse and cut my way through to the rear ranks. "Where the hell are you hiding, dog of England?" I called. Then I turned, only to see a arrow fly straight at me and just miss, grazing my face. I felt the spot that it touched and and pulled it away, to see my own blood from the cut. I looked up and saw De Prissy with a longbow. "You're gonna pay for that..." I said.

"Then come up and try me" he said smiling. He threw his bow down and drew his sword. I jumped up and met his blade. He was a lot stronger then he looked. The two of us exchanged blows, watching and waiting for the right time, but then a soldier came for De Prissy, I backed off and let him speak

"My Lord, Henry's men are coming." The words echoed doom for my troops and for me. "We were winning.. so close" I thought. I took my dagger and threw it at De Prissy. It barely got his neck, just like he got my face. He was in complete shock, then he turned to me and said "Who are you, boy?"

I turned around and got ready to jump back down. "I am Viktor Von Saradith, The Lion of Prussia. General De Prissy I will remember this day!" I jumped onto my horse and rode back up. A messanger stopped me on the way back to our rear guard. "What is it?" I asked.

"The Paris Guard has arrived, The English and Burgundian armies are retreating." I let out a sigh of relief and then raised my sword in the air,

"'Victory is ours!" I then never heard such a joyous cheer. Was victory that foreign of a term for them? Not while I'm around" I thought. We gathered what was left, 3200 men and marched home to Paris. With everyone knowing what I knew long before, that victory was in our grasp. That if we stood together against the hordes of England, we could win...

I love the names! Keep it up.

The problem with so much story-telling is that it slows down the progress of the game, but I'd rather have a great story than a quick retelling of the game in 20 posts. Don't worry about taking your time, if a slacker like me can pull it off, you'll do just fine.

Check out the threads on posting screen shots. Also, there's a few guys around here who'll post them to this thread for you if you e-mail them and ask them nicely.

bah

Sorry fellas for no update today :( I got work and an internship for school all week, 14 hour days. Then I got my prom friday and grad parties all weekend. I'll try to write inbetween when I get a chance. :)

Oh and that scenario editor looks like fun :D *goes off to fix it for his AAR* Thanks to those who made it, it helps loads :)

Hello!! i'm reading (i'm posting this in response to MrT's comments in response to Survey#3)

Please keep going...i'd like to see you last the duration, as I certainly don't mind a nice slow speed...

As far as your question about maps, I assume you mean battle maps and not screenies? The ones we use in FC threads are just from a standard paint program...of course some of those are posted without our approval :D. Anyway, I'll stop rambling, continue your story, I'm enjoying it a great deal.

RJ

Originally posted by Rath Jones
As far as your question about maps, I assume you mean battle maps and not screenies? The ones we use in FC threads are just from a standard paint program...of course some of those are posted without our approval :D. Anyway, I'll stop rambling, continue your story, I'm enjoying it a great deal.

RJ
Er... are you referring to a specific incident there, RJ? ;)

As for the maps, RJ is right. I use Paint Shop Pro for mine, and if I can find a decent topographical map of the area in question, all the better.

Heh. Lucky for you Henry let those Welsh bowmen have furlow this week. :rolleyes: ;)

Is it just me, or is there's a certain John Wayne edge to the dialogue?

Fun stuff. Hope you survive those grad parties...no drinking now. ;)

Yeah that's it RH! That's what I was thinking about. Yeah, i'm gonna need them for the huge epic wars I'm gonna have lol. If you two could tell me how you do that, that would help loads. :)

I'm gonna try to finish this without my parents knowing, it's almost 11pm here lol. bah :(