• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Norgesvenn

LurkAAR
98 Badges
Jun 13, 2001
Visit site
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Pride of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Semper Fi
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
Tuscany – A Tale Of the de Medici Family
A story of merchants and warfare

Tuscany rose to become a rich and powerful under the rule of the de Medici family. The city of Firenze (Florence) had been a centre of learning long before the High Renaissance, but under Cosimo de Medici, he himself a most certainly learned man, a huge collection of philosophical works and works of art was amassed in the city. His father, Giovanni, had been made ‘gonfaliere’, or standard-bearer of the city in 1421. Cosimo did not rise to his position when his father died 1429, but rather fell out with a rival family, the Albrezzi. However, due to local support from the lower classes, Cosimo was recalled in 1434, having been banished for five years. After that, he ruled the city as de facto king, despite holding no office.

This is the background of this story. A story about a Tuscany eager to lead. Eager to fund efforts to increase the knowledge in the city, and eager to keep peace among the rival principalities. And, certainly eager to expand the city’s influence in other areas of Europe.

The bare facts:
Grand Campaign, v. 1.04.
Normal AI aggressiveness
Normal settings

‘House Rules’:
1) Increase trade and thereby knowledge
2) Decrease the power of the aristocracy, and free the subjects, thus being true to de Medici’s patrician, yet un-aristocratic background. These ‘reforms’ are to be seen as a ‘pay off’ for the continued power of the family.
3) Build alliance with other states on the Italian peninsula
4) Never declare war without CB against Catholic/Christian states
5) Never annex other when being attacked by neighbours
6) ‘Peacefully’ rival Genoa and Venice
7) No silly Protestant conversion after the Reformation

The story?
Well, I’ll use dialogue, storytelling etc. It’ll be my first ‘un-silly’ AAR.

1419-1421 – The Last Days of Il Republico

Luciano, my elder brother, returned home for supper from his position as scribe in the parliament of Il Republico. His face looked grave. He often looked this way these days. It seemed as if the endless squabbles and intrigues between the different families here in Firenze was his personal concern. It had to be his training.

He is the second oldest son of our family. Father is a merchant, and spends most of his time frowning over letters and books, wondering when his shipments will arrive. Luciano was sent away to a monastery to become a man of the cloth. This he was ill suited for, and he ended up not taking any wows, but received valuable training. Now he’s employed as one of several scribes at the parliament.

I myself spend my time helping my father out. It is hard work, but I get to see ships from all over the Mediterranean come and go. Today, we were even visited by a representative from my fathers ‘bankier’, de Medici. Of course, I was deprived of any opportunity to hear what he wanted to discuss with my father, but the ‘bankier’ looked pleased as he left.

As I went home with father, I pointed out two ships bearing the flag of Tuscany leaving port.
- “They’re off to Genoa, Marco”, he said, patting my head. He smiled his weary smile, and I thought perhaps the ships would return with those barrels of fish he so long had been awaiting.

- “Colonel! I have orders for you to intensify the training of our soldiers. The papers bear the parliamentary seal!”, the messenger said.

Colonel Reggio frowned. His troops were far from in great shape, but he still wondered why the parliament wanted him to increase their training. The soldiers were mostly peasant boys and boys from the lower classes in Firenze, sent away by their parents to be fed and clothed. Except for the knights, of course. They were young nobles, treating the infantrymen like dirt, and taught to disapprove of hard work. Oh, well. He had no choice but to comply with his orders…

Author’s note: Although this resembles very much the situation in a professional army… it’s also, oh, well, pure imagination on my part.

- “I have come to deliver a declaration from the doge of Modena, good sir! A declaration of war! We have grown weary of watching Tuscany disrespect our borders and our subjects!”
- “I am a count from the city of Siena. We have decided to support the city of Modena in their most righteous task in teaching you Tuscan fools a lesson!”

So a war with Modena, eh? Good start for your first serious AAR.

Accounts of the Peninsular War

A manuscript written by an unknown monk was recently recovered in a small monastery in Tuscany. It had been hidden and forgotten for centuries, but it shed new light on Tuscany’s fortunes in the Peninsular War.

An excerpt follows:

“This is the truth. By my oath as a cistenserian I swear I am telling the truth about what happened in the year of the Lord, 1419 AD.

… thus by the orders from the council, the Army of Firenze, under the leadership of Colonel Reggio, was ordered to march towards the city of Siena. There were rumours of the colonel being displeased by this decision, as the troops were far from ready for battle. The colonel, a former knight in the Hospitaller Order, felt it would be wise to leave the initiative to the enemy, and prepare our defence…”

Excerpt from historian Tom Scana’s book “The Rise of Tuscany”:

“The republic’s council, busy adding to its glory, felt a swift victory against Siena would ease the pressure from the lower classes and also eliminate at least one enemy. It therefore ordered an ill-prepared assault on Siena, against the advice of their army commander”

We return to the cistenserian’s account:

“… many of us foot soldiers felt the noblemen on horse were eager only to add to their own fortune in this war. And how right we were!
… as we approached the city of Siena, we saw a well prepared defence. However, two young captains, de Meazza and Colosimo, were eager to attack, and disregarded colonel Reggio’s orders. The morning of the 30th of September 1419, we attacked the Sienans with a force no bigger than the defender’s. Many of my dearest friends fell during the attack. Blood coloured the battle field maroon, and the sun made the bodies stink.

… a few days later, we were retreating through Sienan territory, suffering more casualties, as Sienan cavalry attacked us.
... we reached Firenze one afternoon. I spent most of the afternoon praying to the Lord and thanking Him for letting me live. I knew then He had a purpose for me to fulfill”

- “What? You lost? And ran away? Cowards!”. The count was furious. Colonel Reggio knew what was coming. New orders, a new assault, more losses. Although he himself was far from popular with the nobles, he was the only one capable of leading an army. His iron-grey hair showed his age. He was reaching fifty in a few years, and would rather have liked to retire than fall in battle in a war now that he was so old and had survived Saracens and Ottomans.

In the streets outside heralds were calling for volunteers, while veteran troops rounded up various lowlife and riff-raff, equipping them for war. Reggio looked stooped and gloomy when he left the palace to return to his quarters for the night.

Excerpt from Tom Scana’s book “The Rise of Tuscany”:

“The council seemed undeterred by the defeat in Siena, and sent the army in for another assault, while also recruiting new troops. Their stubborn attitude did, however, cost them their dignity, and more importantly, their power. Even among their fellow nobles, they held little, if any, respect after another defeat in Siena in the summer of 1420.

This in turn, paved the way for the wealthy banker Giovanni de Medici’s rise to power in 1421.

De Medici heeded the advice of the army commander, and re-structured and rebuilt the forces, before attacking Siena again. This time, the Sienan force was beaten and driven into the arms of a small, but well-equipped Tuscan cavalry force, and thus completely annihilated, and by the end of 1421, Siena’s lords offered to pay tax to de Medici and become integrated into Tuscany”.

Colonel Reggio felt in light spirit as he led his troops towards Modena. They had crushed the Modenan army near Firenze and were now chasing the remnants of this army. He felt confident his battle-hardened veterans would soon control Modena as well.

- “Well, Nicolo”, said Giovanni de Medici. “I shall not integrate your duchy into mine, despite your hostile actions towards me. I shall, however, demand that you pay tax to me, and that you kneel down and accept me as your suzerain”.
Nicolo II had little choice but to accept. Tuscan knights had dragged him out of his palace and taken him to Firenze to see de Medici. It was not a pleasant visit. Wiping some sweat from his face, Nicolo II, knelt down before Giovanni de Medici, kissing the ring on de Medicis pinky finger.

Well done, Norgesvenn. I like the shifting viewpoints. Gotta love those fun-loving Medicis. :)

Originally posted by Lord Durham
Well done, Norgesvenn. I like the shifting viewpoints. Gotta love those fun-loving Medicis. :)

Thank you, LD! :)

Fun-loving? Oh, yes. And fun is no bad Medici(ne), is it? :D

Ah, this should be interesting.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the brave Tuscans fare against the other power-mongering Italians. I'd wathc out for the Pope. For a guy wearing a cross around his neck, he can be pretty hairy at times. (Oh, and don't get suckered into those indulgences:D)

Err...Mimir...et should be "et tu Brutae" if you're going to stick to the formal Latin..:)

Again

Originally posted by MrT
Ah, this should be interesting.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the brave Tuscans fare against the other power-mongering Italians. I'd wathc out for the Pope. For a guy wearing a cross around his neck, he can be pretty hairy at times. (Oh, and don't get suckered into those indulgences:D)

Err...Mimir...et should be "et tu Brutae" if you're going to stick to the formal Latin..:)

Et tu, Mr T, Et tu!

My back is filling up with daggers here, help! ;p

Re: Et tu Brutus!

Originally posted by Mimir
*sniff* and I thought we'd be making an AAR together.... How could you?

*cry*

Ah, but Mimir... considering I have no life except this, I can do both. ;)

As for the Pope, MrT, he's confirming every one of Martin Luther's suspicions and prejudices. He's a madman!! :)

Giovanni de Medici - the diplomat banker

Father looked happy these days. Peace gave new opportunities for trade. Merchants from places like Tago, Venice, Alexandria and Genoa daily arrived at the harbour in Firenze, bringing with them goods from the East and the West.

Father spent much time haggling about the prices of different goods. Sometimes the captains of the ships claimed the goods had not been paid in advance, and demanded extra payments to open their cargo holds. Unfazed by their resistance, father usually had his way.

My brother Luciano had taken up a position at Piazza Di San Marco where Giovanni De Medici lived. He did not reveal much about the nature of his work, but father was proud, and we finally seemed to be out of our troubles; having the good will of the de Medici’s could help me as well, father said.

“Dear father!

I am writing to you to tell you that I am well, and that the reason that you not often see me is that I am busy here at Piazza Di San Marco.

Signore de Medici is a busy and industrious man, and has recently been seeing representatives from most other cities in Italy. His lovely niece Emilia was married to a Genovese gentleman, and thus the bonds to this rich city were strengthened. Although I felt much sorrow over losing her bright appearance in the house, I must say it was a great day for Firenze when Signore de Medici brought his niece to Genoa.

Furthermore, the Signore has managed to build an alliance between us, the Pope, Genoa and Modena. We should now be safe from attack, and I am sure you will be pleased to hear that an agreement about the trade in Genoa was also signed with both the Genoese representative and Cardinal Liesalotti.

I hope you are well, dear father, and that mother, Sebastiano, Fillippo, Lucia, Francesco, Arturo, Claudia, Enrico, Giovanni, Pierluigi, Marta, Cesare and the dog are too!

Best regards and with God’s peace

Your son,

Luciano”

The inventor was busy answering the eager questions from both Giovanni de Medici, the tax collector and Colonel San Marino, who had replaced colonel Reggio when the latter was given a pension and a countryside villa in reward of his services to the de Medicis.
- “It is a wine refinery, good sirs. It will help us produce more wine, thus adding both to the prosperity of our glorious city and to our tax income, if I may add. The wine from Tuscany is already popular in most of Italy. Some say even the Burgundians have began preferring it to their own wine”
- “And what will it cost to get it up and going, signore?”, said de Medici.
- “Nothing, signore de Medici. The farmers have already contributed to its building, and I would not charge you for the idea, the Protector of philosophy and fine arts”
- “Good. I see no reason to forbid such a glorious enterprise. Do you, signore?”, de Medici said eagerly to the tax collector.

The tax collector shook his head, and Colonel San Marino nodded his head in approval. What was good for Firenze, was good for him and the army.

“Giovanni de Medici faced several challenges after the incorporation of Siena and the Firenze Congress, where Modena agreed to become the vassals of Tuscany. Domestically, the local barons still held a lot of power, due to the decentralised nature of the Tuscan law system.

The local aristocracy, although weakened by the failure of Il Republico, still held grudges against the banker de Medici, and would continue to demand the restoration of their old privileges.

The feud between de Medici and the local aristocracy, both in Tuscany proper and in Siena was a trait of the years of his rule, and de Medici’s reforms aimed at ending serfdom met with considerable disapproval, both in the countryside, where such a move was seen as an attempt at weakening the aristocracy and in the city, where the notion of more freeholders was conceived as a sure way to drive up the cost of supplies.

The situation outside of Tuscany was, however, much brighter, as de Medici proved to be a shrewd and able diplomat. By offering financial support, he built close ties to Count Niccolo II of Modena, and also reached an agreement with Genoa and the Papal States. This did, however, lead to Tuscany's old vassals, the Duchy of Athens, remaining completely unprotected from the onslaught of its neighbours”

Just a small thingy to put you into the Florentine mood...

"But there are in the arch of this world, two efficient causes, Nature and art. Nature daily produces and generates new things. But art by conception, making an impression of the similitudes of those things upon herself, does in an admirable manner prosecute the footsteps and delineations of Nature."

From the book by
Marsilius Ficinus, 'Liber de Arte Chemica'

Feeling the Renaissance yet? :)

Did you avoid annexing Modena for reputation reasons?

The multiple viewpoints are nice, I thought the historian's description of the de Medici's attempts to consolidate power was especially well done. Good job!

Yes, Sharur. Two full annexations in one year would make me a three province bad boy easily accessible from all parts of Southern Europe. And with an ally like the Duchy of Athens, I thought it best to... well, have Modena vassalised. :)

By the way, I allow myself diplomatic annexations... and of course, attacks on non-christians.

Last edited:
Cosimo de Medici’s Shadow Leadership
Part one

“After the death of Giovanni de Medici in 1429, Tuscany seemed to return to the old ways of its republican past. This was, however, a great façade.

Behind this façade, the art collector, philosopher and master diplomat Cosimo de Medici reigned as sovereign. His father had quietly and peacefully managed to build an administration at Piazza Di San Marco where the members were loyal to the de Medicis.

Their banker background helped the family greatly, as they were able to recruit the sons of many a man indebted to them. These young men became the loyal servants of Cosimo de Medici. And de Medici’s ability to teach them was unquestionable.

Cosimo, a learned man, was therefore able to set forth with many of his idealistic plans for Tuscany. He abolished an old law giving local farmers the right to themselves sentence their workers by their own judgement, and also began abolishing certain dues and taxes to allow for a freer trade. Since Tuscany did not hold a centre of trade, but rather traded with these centres, de Medici felt it important not restrict the flow of goods into the city by artificial tariffs”.

Since father’s death, God bless him, my eldest brother Sebastiano has been running our family business. Times are good, although we all mourn the loss of our solid rock in this ocean of uncertainty; father.

Luciano is now working for Cosimo de Medici. He allowed me to accompany him to Cosimo’s house. What a fantastic place! There were works of art, books and riches to be seen everywhere. I wish I could join my brother in de Medici’s service! It would be like a dream. Piazza di San Marco is so magnificient that I doubt that there is a similar centre of learning anywhere in the world.

Yesterday, I walked around in the city. I am hoping that I too soon will have a position somewhere. Firenze is beautiful, but there are many people who aren’t as well off as we are. I thanked the Lord for our fortune and also spared a Florentine for some of the beggars I met on my way. A leper came up to me, sores on her face, her hands, her arms, asking for some food or some money. Unfortunately, I had no silver left in my purse, and had to leave the poor woman.

“Cosimo de Medici, although not a prince nor king by position, was the de facto ruler of Tuscany. His visions of a strong Tuscany leading in science, and guaranteeing the peace and prosperity of its inhabitants, was coupled by an amazing ability for building trust and gaining friends.

Cosimo’s great vision was of a Tuscany leading an alliance of all Italian city-states, ready to defend themselves against France, Austria and Aragon. His grand vision almost came true in 1437 when he managed to get Genoa, the Papal States, Milan and Mantua to join forces with Tuscany”.

Dearest brother!

I am writing to you to let you know I am safe and healthy here in Modena. I have been given a position as assistant to the governor of Emilia. As you know, the council in Modena, following the death of Count Niccolo II, agreed to become a part of Greater Tuscany.

There is much to do, as we also have to deal not only with disgruntled Modenan nobility, but also with all matters relating to the trade with Genoa. Modena is a closer city to Genoa than Firenze, and thus Firenze will now trade with Constantinople, Alexandria and Tago, while Modena will take care of the land routes to Flandern, Genoa and Venice.

I also bring message from Cosimo de Medici. He may have some use for a young man with your skills, young brother, and Sebastiano tells me that although you are his brother, he is reluctant to feed you all your life. You must start a career of your own, dearest Fillipo!

Your loving brother,

Luciano

Originally posted by Sharur
Wow, that was a quick diplo-annex. Good job, Norgesgvenn.

:) It took a few gifts, but merely one try...

The base tax value of Tuscany/Firenze is very high (rightly I think), so money is no problem. And the good thing with that annexation was that I 'inherited' a 16k army.

If there are no updates here for some time, it's all due to Peter Ebbesen. Blame him! PM him! Tell him to be nice! :D

No, seriously, folks... I'm joining forces with PE for some time and I'll be 'Righteous Bastard numero dos' there. So read 'The Righteous BastAARds'. And Tuscany will be back. I mean, it hasn't crashed. A lot. So far. ;)

Are you nuts? :mad: :D

This is too good to abandon, even if it's temporary. Come back, Shane...

The Treaty of Firenze - and the ascendancy of Il Magnifico

Dearest Luciano!

I hope you are well! You will be pleased to know that I am now one of Cosimo’s closest associates. We have recently been preparing for a grand conference at the Piazza Di San Marco for all of our allies.

At the conference, Signore de Medici will offer protection to our allies Mantua and Milan, he says. I sincerely hope that the dukes will accept.

We have been developing our doctrine towards free trade. Goods must flow into Firenze and our goods must be sold. But all this you know, dearest Luciano.

Give my best to your wife Catarina!

Your loving brother,
Fillipo

Excerpt from Tom Scana’s “The Rise of Tuscany”:
“Cosimo de Medici’s ambitions were not merely restricted to securing his and his successors reign in Tuscany proper, but on the whole of the Italian peninsula. His alliance with the Pope, Mantua and Milan created a formidable power bloc where Genoa was added later.

The Treaty of Firenze, signed in October 1461, gave Tuscany half of Milan and Mantua’s incomes, while Tuscany promised to come to their aid in emergency situations and confirmed old trade privileges held by Mantua and Milan in Firenze. This was Cosimo de Medici’s proudest moment, as he himself led the negotiations. It also became his last service to Tuscany as in August 1464, he died. His successor was Pierro I Gorroso de Medici, the first de Medici to take a princely title. Many feared this would move Tuscany towards more ambitious designs, and looking at the events that followed, they were perhaps right. But it was not until the reign of Lorenzo il Magnifico that these designs started to show”

Picture the magnificent city of Florence. Few European cities could compare with its wealth and prosperity. The rulers never lacked the money to realise their projects.

- “I sincerely believe that we would benefit greatly from having a seaport at the west in the Mediterranean, Signore de Medici”.
- “Why is that? Please do explain, Fillipo”
- “Our ships are vulnerable to attack when travelling to Tago. A seaport, with a friendly navy would greatly benefit us. And it would indeed be of great value should we decide to find out more about Africae”
- “I believe you are most correct, Fillipo. I value this advice and treasure your contribution. Do you have any specific seaport in mind?”
- “Tangiers, Signore. It is poorly defended and a Moslem seaport. As Christians, we should liberate it from the hands of the infidels”
- “Agreed. Let us call in San Marino and work out a plan”

- “Where are we going?”, Giacomo said as we sat down in the hold of the ship.
- “I think we are going west to fight the infidel”, I replied.
- “Hrmph! Always fighting. I want to return alive to my house and wife”

Yes, I am back, folks... :)