• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Light CSA

Marshal of the Confederacy
61 Badges
Sep 24, 2007
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • King Arthur II
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Darkest Hour
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • BATTLETECH
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Victoria 2
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis IV
This AAR will follow the history of Prussia as it attempts to unite all Germans under one state and then the history of Greater Germany (hopefully) after that. I am shooting for triggering the Popular Unification event with Austria being included in the unification. I will continue to write my CSA AAR in conjunction with this.

Chapter 1. Two Fateful Shots

Berlin, 1835

Frederick Louis's royal carriage slowly plodded down the main street of Berlin back to the king's residence. Inside the carriage, King Frederick Louis of Prussia tried to relax in his seat, but the events currently happening in Prussia were making it hard to get any relaxation. Liberals had been constantly dogging him about setting up a constitution and other weak institutions that he would have none of, but their constant attacks were taking a toll.

The King had gained many enemies as a result of his anti-liberal policies, and the enemies that formed against the King were going to make this day a fatal day for the royal family. A young man, ironically named Frederick, stood on the side of the street, nervously grasping his pistol. The royal carriage would soon be passing in front of him, a perfect target for his weapon.

As the carriage passed in front of Frederick, he stepped out into the street, firing two shots into the carriage. Two royal hussars reacted quickly, galloping around the guilty youth, knocking him to the ground.

Inside the carriage, worried courtiers rushed to see King Frederick William's condition. There was nothing they could do. The two bullets had struck home, killing the King instantly.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

A few days later, William, Frederick William's brother, was crowned King of Prussia. Many liberals hoped this coronation would spring new life into the movement for democracy and for a united Germany.

And so the true beginning of our story will come one year into King William's reign, in 1836.

A most interesting start! I look forward to reading both this story and the rest of your CSA AAR.

Chapter. 2 Two Wars and More to Come

PrussianVictory.png

Liberal groups in Prussia immediatly began lobbying King William as soon as he reached the throne. Worrying about the security of his position as King, William relented to the many demands, allowing for a constitution to be drawn up, with the King still holding large powers though.

PoliticalReforms.png

The new Parliament of Prussia began plotting the unification of Germany one state at a time. William also wanted to see a united Germany with himself at its head, so their goals were compatible for now.

It was decided that Anhalt should be the first state to be incorporated into the new Germany. The first danger signs that the plan might backfire came when the alliance with Anhalt was dissolved. In quick succession, the rest of the German states other than Hanover dissolved their alliances with Prussia.

Still, it was decided to press on, and Prussian troops soon marched into and annexed Anhalt.

With the conquering of Anhalt came declarations of war from Austria down to Frankfurt-am-Main against Prussia. The Prussian Army had still not mobilized, so worries abounded in Prussia itself if the nation could handle this challenge.

The Prussian Army certainly did a splendid job of holding back the Austiran Alliance. Within a few months, Austria sued for peace, offering up Tarnow, Zatar, and Cieszyi (sp.). Prussia readily accepted this peace, and the First German War was over.

Prussian planners began immediatly planning for the next war as soon as the first ended. The Mobilization Pool was greatly expanded to some 44 divisions. The regular army was expanded as well with as many divisions as possible being recruited.

Prussian politicians and diplomats eagerly awaited the expiration of the peace treaty, so that the war could resume, but they soon found a loophole.

Hannover, previously an English puppet state was now allied to the other German states. It had not been involved in the First German War, and therefore it did not have a peace treaty with Prussia. Prussian troops soon moved to the borders of Hannover, ready to trigger the Second German War.

Sure enough, with the declaration of war against Hannover, the other German states declared war on Prussia. Prussian troops were ready this time, and Saxony was quickly annexed along with several other border states.

Prussian forces were divided between the North German states, the South and Central German states, and Austria. Successes were found on all these fronts, although the going was slow.

On the Austrian front, Prussian troops did not have enough strength to prosecute an invasion, so they had to wait until mobilization. Austrian troops advanced across the border unopposed, but Prussian armies were close at hand, ready to deliver the counter-stroke. With the mobilized troops deployed, that counter-stroke fell hard. Austrian spear-heads were destroyed and Prussian troops began advancing into Bohemia and Slovakia. One Austrian peace offer was rejected during this time.

In Northern Germany, Prussian forces were able to annex Hamburg and several other German states, but Hannover was not completely occupied by the wars end.

In Southern and Central Germany, Prussian troops satellited or annexed several small states, but the heartland of Southern Germany in Bavaria, Baden, and Wurttemberg remained untouched.

The war ended without all of Prussia's goals realized because of a juicy Austrian peace offer, ceding most of Galicia. This offered an opportunity to create Hungary (a prerequisite for Austria to join in Popular Unification), so I readily took the deal. The Peace Treaty was signed in Berlin.

Prussia after the Peace of Berlin (I have already created Hungary):

PrussiaafterthePeaceofBerlin.png

Chapter 3. The Eastern War

Flush from its victory over the German states, Prussian leadership decided to annex the small state of Krakow. Prussian troops marched into the city and it was annexed in a matter of days. At the time, no one realized the international implications of this event.

Within a few weeks of the annexation, Russian diplomats delivered a declaration of war to Prussia. The declaration of war came as a shock to almost all of Prussia, catching Prussia with no troops on the Russian border.

The situation seemed dire at the start of the war.

Russian troops began to move across the border unoppossed, but the entire Prussian army was rushing to destroy the Russians. Mobilization began across the country. Once the mobilized formations had been brought up to strength, the Russians could be crushed.

RussianAdvancesintoEastPrussia.png

Soon after the beginning of the Russian invasion, France too declared war on Prussia.

This announcement was even more shocking, and Prussian troops in Westphalia marching towards the Russian border were ordered to turn back.

On the Russian Front, the closest Prussian troops were the 20,000 stationed in Galicia. These quickly moved to engage Russian forces in nearby areas.

The first victory came at the Battle of Gleiwitz, in which the Galician Army destroyed an initial Russian force. By this time, the reserves were ready, and the full weight of the Prussian military was about to be brought down upon Russia.

PrussianReservesdeploy.png

The first phase of the counterattack would involve cutting off the Polish salient. General offensives would be launched across the border in all areas to draw off Russian forces.

ThePolishOffensives.png

Strong Prussian formations soon began pushing back Russian troops on all fronts, winning every battle. Outside of the city of Lodz, several key battles were fought between Russian and Prussian forces.

The encirclement began to close around the main body of the Russian army as Prussian victories continued unabated.

TheEncirclementiscomplete.png

Some 70,000 Russian forces were caught in the pocket, the main body of the Russian Army. Over a few weeks, these remaining troops were killed or captured around Warsaw.

PolandConquered.png

Soon after the Polish Campaign ended, the Russians sent their first peace offer.

FirstPeaceOffer.png

This was rejected out of hand now that Prussia had the clear upper hand. The Prussian offensive was now continued into the Russian heartland, with Prussian forces driving the Russians before them.

FurtherOffensives.png

The Russians soon sent a second peace offer, which also was rejected. The Prussian government held out for gaining all of Poland diplomatically, but it was looking as if the Russians were not going to give up all of Poland in negotiations. As the Prussians advanced farther, Russia sent a Third Peace offer. This was accepted and the war with Russia was over.

ThirdPeaceOffer.png

The border after peace is signed.

Prussian-RussianBorderafterPeace.png

The war still continued with France though.

That's an impressive campaign you waged in Russia. A few more wars like that, and all Europe will be a Prussian possession.

Liberate Poland ;)

Light CSA said:
The only problem is I'm massively in debt, heading strait for bankruptcy.

I guess you already earned too much BB's to tech trade with china/japan ? Then you have no choice: DoW as many countries as you can (FRA, ENG, AUS, RUS) till you earn enough war indemnities to repay your debts.

qwerkus said:
I guess you already earned too much BB's to tech trade with china/japan ? Then you have no choice: DoW as many countries as you can (FRA, ENG, AUS, RUS) till you earn enough war indemnities to repay your debts.

Well I plan on starting the Third (and hopefully final) German War soon, so we'll see how that goes. I can't go to war with France considering I just made peace with them (that will be described in the next update). The same goes for Russia.

Hello there,

what is your BB-level?
And your next update will be about the Franco-Prussian War, I'd guess?

And pay attention for UK ...

However, congratulation for your victory over Russia.

Yours, AdL

Just another little teaser before I post a large update:

It appears like I'm going to miss the deadline for Popular Unification. :( I have tried several times to get it, but I feel like it is going to be quite unlikely. So, I guess I will be reverting to the Three Hurrays for unification. I'm Germany in all, but name though.