• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

nalivayko

General
49 Badges
Mar 15, 2001
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 500k Club
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
At last I feel like I am back to life again. EU2 is here and they say that gone are the days of easy conquests. I shall see about this. I don't know about you, but when I saw a new map my first thought was: great, now I don't have to annex the whole of the Turkish empire before getting Constantinople. Another thought was that I don't have to to torture myself and my neighbors trying to make Ukrainians revolt and proclaim independence. All in all, there are many promises to be fulfilled. Some will go for English conquest of France, some will try to recreate Byzantine empire. I will try to play Myscowy and bring Second Rome under control of the Third in a shortest amount of time possible. After that sky is the limit.

Note: I personally think Myscowy is better off than Russia in EU - you don't acquire that much bb in the beginning if you concentrate on Golden Horde and don't go after other Russian principalities.

Great to see you back in action nalivayko. I'm looking forward to this! Why am I not surprised you chose Myscowy ;)

Phase One: Road to Azov

As history goes, in 1419 Muscowy was a small principality west of Suzdal', a vassal of the Golden Horde. Her relations with neighbors could be better, partially due to the fact that it were the Princes of Moscow who collected the taxes from whole Russia for her Mongol overlords. Besides Moscow itself, the principality included two more provinces: Vologda and Nizhgorod.

In January of 1914 Muscowy canceled vassalization with Golden Horde. However, this was the time when the Horde was struggling for its very survival. The countless rebellions drove the country on the verge of chaos. The Khan did nothing even when Suzdal' followed Myscowy. Only when Ryazan' declared independence the Horde finally reacted. As nomad armies besieged Ryazan', Vasiliy I ordered his army to the rescue. By that time Muscowy was in alliance with Suzdal' and Tver and was prepared to meet her former overlords on the battlefield.

The war lasted less than two years (July 1421 - December 1423). Russian forces took Tambow, Saratow and Bogutjar and were ready to cross Volga and strike at the very heart of the Golden Horde. Luckily they were spared the effort. The rebels broke the government of the Horde and sent the Khan fleeing to the steppes of the east. His successor was eager to make peace with everyone. Muscowy was granted all the land that it conquered during the war. New ruler's Tatar allies were allowed to create independant Khanates of Kazan' and Crimea, while his Russian supporters created an independant state north of Crimea. They called it Southern Rus', but their neighbors were quick to dub it "Ukraine", as it laid on the edge of the three worlds - Catholic, Orthodox and Muslim.

Ukraine was soon admitted to Russian Alliance. So was Tver, which abandoned it during the war to conquer her western neighbor - Pskov. Vasiliy did not hesitate to cement the alliance with royal marriages. He even went further with Ukraine by providing financial aid and guaranteeing her independence. He also took steps to secure his western border by arranging a royal marriage with Lithuania. He planned to continue his drive to the east, but his plans were burried with him in 1425. A new ruler, Grand Prince Vasiliy II "Temny" had ideas of his own.

He too, however, was fond of Southern Russian state of Ukraine. He had a vision of Ukraine being Russian shield against Catholic Lithuania and a launching ground for a strike across the Black Sea. At that time everyone could see that an imperial city of Constantinople is doomed to fall. It was already sacked once by Albanians, but it was the Turks who worried Grand Prince. Any case, be it Catholics or Muslims, could not be accepted by the Orthodox country. Vasiliy's plans went as far as declaring himself a Defender of Orthodox Faith. Capturing Czargrad would help him well in doing so.

The first step, however, was to strengthen Ukraine. And so, in July of 1428, the war was declared on Crimea. Tver and Suzdal' dishonored the alliance, but were re-admitted some time later. Ukrainians gave their full support for this war and were rewarded a year later, when they were given an opportunity to double their territiry with a capture of enemy's only province.

The second step was to capture a sea port for Muscowy as well. With this goal in mind, Grand Prince went to second war (November 1430 - December 1433) with Golden Horde. Again, Mongols had to fight alone, as all their allies deserted them. In 1431 Kazan' Tatars joined the war on the side of their former ally - new Khan. Soon, they were annexed by Suzdal'. This event together with a capture of Samara by Muscowyans broke the back of Mongol resistance. The Khan had to cede Lugansk, Voronezh and Azov, giving Moscow its first access to the sea.

Conclusion: After the end of the second war with the Golden Horde Grand Prince of Muscowy controlled 9 Russian provinces and had access to the Sea of Azov. The plans were made to build Russian first fleet and sail across the Black Sea (Russian Sea in the chronicles of the old times). Muscowy's allies - Tver, Suzdal' and Ukraine - all had grown to the size of two province countries, making it impossible for a potential foe to annex any of them in the course of the war. A trade agreement was reached with Novgorod, securing Muscowy's trade in the region and steps were taking toward the centralization of the state in order to decrease corruption. Needless to say, this was not taken lightly by local nobles. Numerous rebellions fired the countryside of the recently conquered land. All the rebels were drawned in blood. Such was the fate of anybody who opposed the power of Moscow.

First division of the Golden Horde in 1425

Lord Durham, thank you for your warm welcome :) Speaking of Muscowy, I actually toyed with playing as Novgorod first (and I did, only it is a different story). One word: boring. I could've done the same with Pskov in EU. And if they go after Muscowy... well, they become Muscowy. Any Russian state sooner or later becomes Russia, makes no difference. With Muscowy, however, it is different, as it has other targets to pursue. This time I want to let all Russian principalities be. Should be interesting.

Holy smokes, great to see you back in action Nalivayko. Hope things are going well with you. I look forward to your many great works for EU2, Your one of the classic writers in my book:)

Hm... Thank you all. Really. It is nice to be remembered. I haven't been writing for awhile, but I've been reading a lot and it is me who should call warspite a classic... Not the other way around.

Back to aar. I almost got my ass kicked. So, here I am, trying to play nice. Didn't annex nobody yet and what? I get 14 bb just for conquering 7 lousy Golden Horde provinces? How did I deserve that? The worse being that although I still have good relations with most of the world everybody keeps declaring war on me (Mecklenburg? Savoie? Gimme a break). I don't know if it is time to scream "PATCH!!!" yet, but I am on the verge of doing so. BTW, what is this incredibly consistent thing with Scandinavian countries and Greece? Does the latter hold any special value for the former that I am not aware of? Weird, if you ask me.

Anyway, back to playing. More screenshots to come.

P.S. Sharur, I want to see Tver, Novgorod and Suzdal' survive till 1820 :) I don't know about Ryazan'. Novgorod may also be a pain in the butt... We'll see.

Hehe, I started playing muscovny too, and that exact thing happened to me too (BB wars en masse after a few 'harmless' wars against my neighbours).

Welcome back nalivayko. I haven't started the GC yet since I'm still testing to see what differences there are between EUI and EUII but I plan on starting with Myscowy.:) How different does the game play (feel) from EUI? I've played a couple short games but it keeps crashing to desktop so I'm waiting for the patch before I try to unite Russia.:D

Joe

The game feels very, very different. First, you feel more insecure with your armies as you cannot any longer stall your enemy with 1,000 cavalry force in a neighboring province. Then the battles are more unpredictable in the beginning, but unavoidable as you have to keep up with victory points. I like the idea of creating vassals - make a world of difference. I already have a few objections: Ukraine should'nt get independent from Golden Horde - an ownership of Donetsk isn't enough for that event and the capital must be in Kiev.

My other objection is that ai keeps declaring war on you even when you are at peace. When I realized the rules I decided to get peaceful for awhile and got DOWed by Mecklenburg. C'mon, that's not right, I thought. Another things is that the alliances are still too unrealistic. Byzantium constantly allies with Teutons and Novgorod... for what purpose may I ask? Hiring northern mercenaries?

The game by itself is excellent - I will never go back to playing EU - but it needs major tweaking with ai and diplomatic side.

Back to the game - I am going to start a simaltenous Duchy of Athens AAR. Just in case I get tired of being in war with the whole world.

The only solution to bb problem that I see is to provoke your enemy in declaring war on you. That should take care of stability and bb rating in the same time. The problem is that when you have a good reputation nobody wants to attack you. When you have bad rep - the whole world is after you.

P.S. I don't know about the fall of Byzantium and proclamation of Russia. Have to get there first.

Easy? How about 100+ countries declaring war on you afterwards?

Ñàëþò Âåëèêîìó Êíÿçþ Ìîñêîâñêîìó! Great to see you, Nalivayko!

Yes, only after Second Rome is conquered by Ottomans, Russian Principality which controls Moscow could decide to become Third Rome (Russia), or to stay what it was before it.

Great, the question remains how to survive the next 80 years or so with every nation declaring war on you in times of peace? Really, don't you think it's a bit too much this time?

Das, great to be here again. Spasibo za podderzhku i prosto tak tozhe.
What are you up to nowdays?

I may restart this game and be more cautios this time. BB punishment is unbearable.

Can you please host my Prussia AAR screenshots? I'm also making EUII AAR you know.

Can you please host my Prussia AAR screenshots? I'm also making EUII AAR you know.

das, I will, but give me couple of days - I am in a process of re-organizing my site and it hurts bad. But I will, I promise.

Sharur, I would gladly, but I want to win! :)