• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(8830)

Colonel
Apr 20, 2002
Visit site
This is a Napoleanic War scenario game, as, naturally France. I've had a lot of fun with this, so I hope you enjoy the read. It will be through the eyes of Napoleon's marshalls; Davout, Suchet, Ney, Grouchy, Murat, Bernadotte, and any others I may have somehow forgotten.

The game is Normal/Normal, and version one point zero-something. Suffice it to say, it is the latest version, AFAIK.

So let the war begin...

(Note: First post of the story will occur tomorrow.)

Sounds interesting. Reminds me of The Killer Angels, a great book on the Battle of Gettysburg which was told by Lee, Longstreet and a few other notable men in the battle.

Looking forward to this. Good luck.

Eber said:
Sounds interesting. Reminds me of The Killer Angels, a great book on the Battle of Gettysburg which was told by Lee, Longstreet and a few other notable men in the battle.

Looking forward to this. Good luck.
:confused: :confused:

That's funny, there are loads of Napoleonic era novels and you think of Michael Sharah's killer angels when we come to a story told from the eyes of generals. More like "The Great battle."
if you like to read a good novel on the napoleonic wars take a Sharp novel. It is very very good.

looking forward to this AAR

Singleton Mosby said:

That's funny, there are loads of Napoleonic era novels and you think of Michael Sharah's killer angels when we come to a story told from the eyes of generals. More like "The Great battle."
if you like to read a good novel on the napoleonic wars take a Sharp novel. It is very very good.

looking forward to this AAR

Hmm, Sharp are very good which I agreed with Mobsy :D

There are too few other later era scenarios AARs around :(

Well looking forward to it :)

Thanks

Joe (Sapphire)

Singleton Mosby said:

I don't know how it can be confusing to you. Though I spoke of a different war, I was merely mentioning that it was the same concept. Also the reason I mentioned it is because it is right on my shelf that is conveniently right next to my computer. I just so happened to glance at it when I saw his post.

One of my favorite napoleaonic novels are The Linguist and the Emperor by Daniel Meyerson (came out early this year). Though it is rather new, it is quite good speaking about his campaign in Egypt and trying to decipher the Rosetta Stone. I definitely recommend it.

Anyway, I apologize Snow King for taking your space. Please continue with your AAR. :)

yay a fellow napoleonic AAR writer :) i shall keep track of this closely

OOC: I hope you don't expect too much... It has been a while since I have exercised the third-person-historical-persona AAR. But thanks for the enocouragement. I know the below is short, but I had little time this morning due to multiple reasons. I will add more soon.

The English Channel, 1799

It had been four years. Four long years since he had taken up a command under Napoleon. Four years, through the German campaign, through the long wait, to come to this. Ney had never liked waiting. And here he was, doing it again, gritting his teeth, waiting for this wretched ship to cross the cursed English Channel.

He looked over at Napoleon himself, on the same transport as he. An innocuous one, of course, the one that floated all the banners and the fanfare was Villenvenue’s flagship. One of over sixty main ships and hundreds of smaller barges, taking one of the few calm points in the Channel’s history. Napoleon, emperor of France, did not seem to be much inclined for sea travel, either. Then why had he ordered... This?

Besides a few exploratory raids on Picardie (driven back by the Emperor before he went on the German campaign), and Pondicherry (Grouchy handled those, though rumor had it that his army was having trouble with the Hindus), the English had never bothered them in all their time. Much more valuable would have been a direct attack on Austria, straight to their capital. All they had down there was a mere thirty thousand under Davout. Whereas they were coming across the channel with forty thousand, Suchet had thirty thousand in Hannover, Marmont had fifteen thousand in Navarre, and Murat just sat on his hands encamped on the Rhine River in Alsace! Why to England, when a mere thirty thousand were trying to defeat Austria? Why?

Perhaps it was a matter of pride. That he could understand. The Emperor’s pride dictated this. But he still did not think it wise to voice his opinions. The Emperor was never tolerant for other’s opinions.

Suddenly a cry broke the awkward silence, “Land! Land ahead!”

He rushed to the deck and–sure enough–in plain view were the white chalk cliffs of Dover. He let out a cry of jubilation. “My Emperor, my emperor, there lies the shores of England! Within a month we will be encamped in London!” He raised his voice to a shout, “Vive le’Empereur! Vive le’Revolution! Vive le’Nation!” The other ship crews took up the cry. “Vive le’ Empereur!”

Napoleon seemed pleased by the cheers for him, and he struck a dramatic pose, one arm pointing towards England. “To London!” he shouted.

I will continue tomorrow. Would have posted more of the intro today but it was trash, so I have to rewrite it to be presentable.

Going straight for England i see, nice choice. :D how did the royal navy let this invasion come to pass? :eek:

TreizeV said:
how did the royal navy let this invasion come to pass? :eek:

My thought also! Where is the royal navy? :eek: :)

Joe

This is NOT abandoned. I just have VERY pressing concerns in RL, and will continue this hopefully on the weekend if pressing concerns dissapate by then.

As to the Royal Navy, well... It was an AI trying to handle naval combat, what do you expect? :p