• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Lofman

Safe One
33 Badges
Mar 14, 2002
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Rome Gold
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Magicka
  • Stellaris
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Age of Wonders
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Cities in Motion
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Deus Vult
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II
One thing I am planning to do (atleast attempt to do) is fixing some errors on the map that really bugs me. Namely that Euphrates and Tigris is to far too the east (not to mention the land is flatter then the Zagros mountains really are). I was wondering wether anyone else is doing something similar, and if there is interest in this (so that I know wether to bother to find someplace to upload the thing when done).

To clarify, this will only be intended to alter the terrain and rivers, Euphrates and Tigris first, and then possibly move the Danube slightly further to the north, but that is only if there is no real troubles with the first part. Provinces are going to be unchanged, the same goes for the shape of the map.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Well I intended to have a more accurate relief map but I have changed my mind and instead I am going to try and change the textures to an old map type look look and then hopefully change the relief map to match it.

The problem that I have is I cannot get the texture changes and the topology changes to combine in the one mod. The only way it works is to replace your vanilla cache file.

It seems to me that you will also need to change your colour_hires.bmp and your topology.bmp , uploading a mod that requires people to replace their vanilla cache file is just not on in my opinion.

Before you do anything test to see if you can get any small changes to your colour_hires.bmp and topology.bmp to run from a mod.

See thread here. http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=351356

If you can I would like to know how you did it.

Modestus said:
Well I intended to have a more accurate relief map but I have changed my mind and instead I am going to try and change the textures to an old map type look look and then hopefully change the relief map to match it.

The problem that I have is I cannot get the texture changes and the topology changes to combine in the one mod. The only way it works is to replace your vanilla cache file.

It seems to me that you will also need to change your colour_hires.bmp and your topology.bmp , uploading a mod that requires people to replace their vanilla cache file is just not on in my opinion.

Before you do anything test to see if you can get any small changes to your colour_hires.bmp and topology.bmp to run from a mod.

See thread here. http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=351356

If you can I would like to know how you did it.

That colormap_hires.bmp is a scary file. If I had looked at it before I might have decided against trying to do this, but now I will try anyway. Have done minor work in topology.bmp and rivers.bmp and they work fine, will try to make a small alteration for colormap_hires.bmp early tomorrow, and see how it works, hope it does, but since you had problems, odds are it might not. Well will know tomorrow.

One question, when you tried with the mod, do your .mod file say extend map directory (mine does so currently, no need to add files that aren't to be changed) or replace map directory? I assume you have tried both variations but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Edit. When it is just extends it doesn't work anyway. Tried it a few hours ago.

Last edited:
It is a scary file!

My mod file had extend = “map” just assumed things would work like EU3.

I did everything you would have done for a EU3 mod, correct folders etc.

The problem was that when the mod went to generate its cache it ignored the colourmap_hires.bmp had no problems with the topology.bmp but you ended up with a cache with no province textures.

Finally got it to work .

Step 1 Create your mod folder like in EU3 with your changed files then leave this alone for a while.

Step 2 Back to your vanilla folders and rename vanilla cache and colourmap_time so the game will create new ones.

Step 3 Create a new blank cache\ province_textures folders

Step 4 Replace the vanilla colour_hires.bmp and topology.bmp with your new files. (of course make backups first)

Step 5 Run game from default

The game should now create a new cache folder and colourmap_time

Step 6 Transfer this new cache and colourmap_ time to your mod folder but importantly also transfer an unchanged copy of your colourmap.txt file.

Step 7 Return everything to normal in your vanilla folders.

The game should now run both the vanilla and mod.

At the moment it seems the game can only generate a new cache with colour_hires.bmp changes from the default folders and not from within the mod. I could just be missing another file but it works this way anyhow.

Good to hear. Will try those steps later next week. After that will focus on the rivers and topology, and then when that relatively simple work is done make an attempt to get some acceptable texture (not hopeful for the possibility to get great one, not really that good at graphical work :p ). If the result are good enough I might even post a screenshot :D

Have done the rivers and messed around with the topology. At the moment I am satisfied with the results. Now the daunting task of dealing with the textures, since it is generally nice to look at the terrain map from time to time.