• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

4daystoglory

Private
72 Badges
Jan 4, 2002
Visit site
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • BATTLETECH
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Empire of Sin
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Sengoku
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
Masters of Milano

January 1st 1520

I am Alexandro Agostino, leading councilor of the milano city council. We are without equal in italy; weare a nation ruled by it's people and that is why we have survived amongst the giants that we are stuck between, France, Austria, Spain. All of them greedy for land and riches. Which we have, thus weare a target. Yet we in theory boast the protection of France, in theory. Many annual ducats are devoted to thi so-called vassalship. We shall have to end it, eventually. In our coffers are 297 000 ducats. Our standing army under the command of field Francesco Sforza is of 5/5, we increase it to 10/8/20. That with a promoting of a bailiff to a tax collector reduce our coffers to 30 000 ducats, now we must search for allies and a way to break our dependance on France...

Allies shall be needed, a natural enemy of France is requiered, Spain and England are our prime targets. Spain in an allaince with Austria and thus we are blocked due to our less than sterling relations with th throne of Hasburg. England though is completly indifferent to us. So steps are proposed through the council to improve our relations with Austria. A royal marriage is deigned with our benefactor and agreed to. Spain is offered a similar arrangement and they too agree. Our efforts to join the Austrian bloc are thwarted as their alliance is filled up. We are alone. As we have always been.
Patience is a virtue yet also fatal when expressed too long. The council is in deep anxiety. We must strike out, but if we do so at the wrong moment, well then our nation shall be no more... A decision si made, when France shall embroil itself in a war with the Austrian-Spanish bloc, we shall declare our self-substance. The year 1521 comes and we hoard our ressources for the upcoming struggles. Preparation is essentiel as we have no room for mistakes. Royal marriages are arranged with Venice and Tuscany. In 1522, a fortification effort is launched by the council backed by private noblemen whose patriotism is expressed by the cost of ducats due for the upgrade of the walls of Lombardy. In march, we reach the stage of high renaissance, Italy is afterall known for it's high culture so it comes to no one's surprise. Feburary 1523, our mechantmens toppled Genoa from their monopoly and placed ourselves in the highest possible position with 5 merchants. On the 19th of the same month, Moldavia, a small state likeour own is gobbled up by the Polish-Lithunian commonwealth. The coming years are those of little import to us, Russia subjecates the tatar tribes, gobbling terriotires and monies are a time. A royal marriage is succesful with Poland. Then in the new year of 1525, the reformation begins as Thurigen and Wurtemberg converts to the Lutheran faith. We are aghast that whole nations are now labeled heretics by the Pope. A schism is too apparent. We decide to not discriminate the protestants as they call themselves in our realm. In march 1526, the Italian alliance of Modena, Tuscany, Genoa and the Order of St-John face off against the Turkish coalition of islam. We are perplexed by the possibility of Turkish rule in Italia. Our fears are realized as Turkish armies as well as Hasfid ones debark on the shores of Genoa and Parma, they defeated. We are hesitant to pursue a decisive policy, caution is decided. In the enw year of 1527, the Swiss nation turns protestant, which gives us a pretext to go after them. We do so. It a chance we cannot pass to accumulate manpower and land we need, and show to the French that we can handle ourselves. The fact that it is one of their former allies is most ironic.

Swiss-Milano War

12 000 new recruits are drawn as soon as the news of Helvetica's turncoat is heard. War is declared on march 17th. We await to the Swiss army to battle in Lombardy as we know that they are deadly in their mountain passes. April 13th, the main Swiss army arrives in Milan, the battle is offered and taken. The Heveltican army admits defeat on may 6th and withdraws in a rout. Our casulties are light while theirs grivieous, we pursue them to the gates of Zurich. We are ocne again engaged in battle on the 11th of june. However the main army is bolstered by 12 000 new recruits, but they are dispacthed to Lombardy with heavy casulties. On August 5th though, Helvitica falls to an assault and ourterritory is doubled yet a loan is taken out to our dire economic status. January 12th 1528, more nations fall to the lutheran heresy; Sweden being the most noticed. Our economy does not improve, even with the cencus taxes; the vassalage fee demanded by France couple with the loan's interests are slowly bankrupting our nation, we must find a way to get out... March 6th, a most disconcerting message is sent to the Milano City Council on the behalf of the King of France and his allies; they offer us equal partnership with them, a brother at arms. The council isan uproar with the issue split down to the middle. I confess that I myself am conflicted, our secret policy behid our friendly and professed servitude has always been to backstab France when she was weakest. I decide and debate most strenduously in the council that we should accept this alliance; it would be simply be a continuation of our policy. The council decides that we shoul accept this alliance for perhaps the French might free us on their own accord; it is a dubious argument at best but fit within my plans so I do not tell him about the greed of Kings, the realpolitics of Europe or that nothing unite apeople more that being strong and that freeing one's vassal is not a show of strengh. Mindless of allthis, the alliance is accepted on the same day.

End of an Era

On march 6th 1528, the end of an era is heralded. Upon our acceptance of being in the Bourbon Alliance, the King of France himself came to the city of Milano and released Milan from the bonds of vassalship to the Kingdom of France. Relations with our former master jumped of course and thus forcedus to reconsider our former policy and our economy was in the shithole, but what the matter, we werefree... And that deserves a good few drinks...

You might also do well against Modena, and Savoy (if you can catch them outside of the French alliance). If you're inside the French alliance you could try diploannexing, but it's hard to do that without a lot of cash.

Tokarev; well I got lucky, the Swiss had defeated my army but I had more troop concentration so I was able to carry the day, but it was a close one. The papal states shall be indeed a target of the future especially after these unfolding events. Ah the irony of that; I do not need to come to styria but they shall come to me and nearly destroy my bid for power.

Sheridan; I'm afraid of the diplomatic penalty when annexing a catholic nation, Helvetica was annexed when the reformation was young (thurigen & wurtemberg) so no biggie there. Because while I want my star burn bright, I don't want it to burn fast.

Thank you both for your feedback.

A new beginning

The year of 1929 beging with a bang, as our income jumps from 19 000 to 47 000 ducats, theconquest finally seems to be bearing fruit on the economic plane. Our cencus taxe also bear 34 ducats which puts in position to pay back the loan. The country is revitalized; our vassalage done and our territory doubled, we are an emerging force in souther europe. Our eye is on Italy, for we are the true heirs to the Roman Empire. Then in june, our income jumps to 63 000 ducats, the icnrease is in goods production; this allows us to redevote some funds to research. But alas all things must come to an end and oru booming economy stabilzies at 47 000 ducats a month; which is very satisfying to the advacators of the Swiss-Milano war. On december 14th of the year of 1929, the awaited war between France and the former Kings of France, England arrives. We take the banner of the French along with; Savoy, the Papal States and Scotland, the scum of Persia and Gerogia dishonours and flee like women. No matter, Calais shall fall to French hands, that is certain. We send a cavalry contigent to show that we are true allies. The English's alleis are Pommeria, Denmark, the Teutonic Order and Ragusa. They are of no consequence. A Scottish-Franco fleet ensure a blockade of dogger bank and england's naval dominance has yet to bemanifested. Calais is asaulted twice withotu sucess; our cavalry regiment arrives in calais and helps the French army defeat a green English volunteer rescue force, it is said that our troops fought admirably.

Austrian-Milano War

March 30th, the impossible happened... Austria declared war upon us, she broke our royal marriage, it is said that my daughter was executed as the declaration fo war was sent... Tears glisten in ym eyes, she was far too young, I shouldn't have asked her, i thought the Austrians were trustworthy... I cannot believe my dear Florence is dead, the Austrian shall pay for this. I swear that they will...

We call upon our allies; All answer the call except savoy and the papal states. Their teachery shall be remembered...

But we are overwhelmed, the Spanish jump us in Zurich and defeat the Swiss army. The siege of tyrol goes well until a 53 thoushand strong hungarian army jumps us and decimates our forces. This war has turned into one of survival. Loans shall be taken, our nation might be broken but we shall prevail. The councilors see my cause as oen fog rief and revenge but nonetheless they epouse as nothing is more efficient that a man with his heart set on a task. We let the 130 000 austrian bloc army wither onthe agtes of Zurich, their walls are strong, they should last until we take the fight back to the Austrians. January 1st of 1531; England turns protestant... The walls of Zurich are faltering... Hope is a commodity that is rare in Milan right now...

But the French arrives to the rescue, they annex Lorraine, defeat the siege in Zurich, take Alsace and decimate the army in our way, they join with our army and we take tyrol, styria and her gold mines,odenburg and then Vienna itself. The Austrian offer us all three provinces to us in return for peace; while monies are needed, I still remember the death of Florence and their teachery, using every favors owed to me make the council ratify the treaty of Vienna, where we cut the Austrian Empire in the half. We owe the French much, I go to Paris itself to thank the King, that was perhaps a mistake to appear so pro-french but no matter, our nation was saved from doom and my revenge sated by the Bourbons. Yet we are still at war with Spain and we have three loans to pay out, revenge does come at a hefty sum it seems. We decimate a spanish force sent to fight us in the mountains of tyrol. We shall take French-Compte from them. And it falls on december 1st. We await overtures for peace from the Spanish.

The year 1532 brings good news, our lands start to recover and our income jumps from 63 000 to 155 000 a month, such is very good news. We divert nothing to trade, heavily aware of the loans in need of getting paid. Soon another huge war erupts; the Spanish-Austrian alliance goes against the Turkish coalition; it promises to be a war to remember. We shall see if the Turks reaches the gates of Vienna as we have. Hannover turns protestant in the new year of 1534; it must be a northen thing as the northen portionof europe is slowly but surely becoming a stronghold of lutheran practice. We are still at war with Spain, negociations drag... I am promoted in june, and good news comes on my promotion; the Holy Emperor has returned my daughter beautiful body so he could be sent to heaven in her beloved land. I met him, Ferdinand I, and stare him straight in the eyes, tears streaked down my cheeks and I said in ragethat he brought this upon himself and that this wasn't over until I saw him a dead corpse. His guardsflinched but mine were equally numerous. Not seeking to provoke another war, the monarch dismissedme saying he would crush me in the next war. I replied that that remains to be seen as 26 000 turks besieged Carolina. August 1st 1534, peace is concluded with Spain in return of 250 000 gold ducats, our quarrel iswitht he Austrian and afterall Franche-Compte is French, we wouldn't them to have a causus belli on us now would we? Our realm is finally at peace and it seems we can pay out our loans and start rebuilding the country.

In late april Carolina falls to the Turkish armies. Vienna's doom is imminent or so I would like to hope.Our first loan is payed in November; meanwhile, Pest and Crotia fall to the Turks. It seems that the Alliance is deep troubles, such a shame isn't it, especially with us fiancing the Turkish armies...

Tokarev; Yup, the Papal States shall pay for their betrayal, but I fear that annexing the small italian states will make me a pariah...

Threads of Ambitions

November 2nd, 1535, the passing of a heroe, Praetor Francesco Sforza dies, full honours of the state is accorded to him, he was a true heroe on the field defending us against the Austrian armies and conqueror of Vienna. A statue of him is erected in Tyrol right at the borders of Vienna and Milano territory. With 41 000 turks descendign towards maygar capital, the Hungarian capitulates giving monies and croatia to the Turks. The flower of the youth of the Alliance died in that war, they shall be shattered. Ripe for the pickings as one would say... But not yet, we must rebuild... Feburary 20th 1536; Portugal gives Opporto to France... France is truely an emerging superpower.Her star shines bright and flies high, as will we as we follow. Our second loan is payed in july. Soon we shall eb able to divert funds to research. And finally in the month of june 1537, the last of our loans is payed. Now we must rebuild the lands of Milan. For rapacious enemies have their eyes upon us. We build our small armies and start fortifications. A new tax system is implemented in the conquered lands. We bit our time, research si started anew as our loans are finished.

In 1540 heresy strikes a high point when the Teutonic Order, one whose purposes is to convert others to the true fatih turns to the Prostestant faith, so the devil is everywhere...

We continue our rebuilding; our armies are bolstered for we are not a simple city-state no more but atrue emerging nation. Yet with that comes intrigue and dissent. The council have broken into several factions and behid the scenes deals are not only frequent but necessary. It is a good thing that I am amaster of such. The factions amongst the council concist of; the "Romans" so they are labeled; theyare bent on expansion of our lands; in particular Italty. They argue that now that we have the means,we should recreate a unified Italy and with that the old Roman Republic. Their natural enemy are those who call themselves the Democrats; they are those who opposed Milan's expansion and any idea of further expansion, they argued we should have demanded monies instead of territory. They say that we cannot maintain our newly acquired empire. As anyone with a grain of sense can see I am no enarmoured towards these cowards, not after what happened to Florence, the treaty of Vienna has changedour nation's path forever, only misguided fools like the Democrats fail to realize it. The third factionwas the Foreigners; men who represented the newly acquired territories under our reign. They were smart and able councilors; their only interest was to acheive equality with their conquerors. And I was the middleman amongst all of them, I was of course biased towards the Romans but I was a fair man...until you differed from my same opinion that is. We commission 6000 more infantry for the Helvetica regiment and prepare to bolster the Army of Milano under the command of the Marquis Del Vasto. I ancitipate no action until we are ready to undertake our expansion in Italy. In september 1542, we comission 10 cannons, 1000 knights & 6000 infantry for the army of Milano, it shall send a message to the world that we have recovered from the war. The Army shall be sent to the borders of Vienna. Feburary 1943 sees us sending 6 merchants to venice to increase our reputation and more importantly our income. Dismaying nws is heard from Venice, only 2 merchants have suceeded while one outhustled a hungarian competitor. We send 3 more merchants to Venice and 2 suceed, not bad at all.

June second, a fortification effort is launched in lombardy courtesy of patriots in the milano council, inother words they were coerced into it.

Last edited: