• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

ForzaA

Former paradox QA
Paradox Staff
QA
131 Badges
Apr 1, 2001
  • Majesty 2
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Impire
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • King Arthur II
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Lost Empire - Immortals
  • Magicka
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Ship Simulator Extremes
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Darkest Hour
  • Deus Vult
  • Diplomacy
  • Dungeonland
  • East India Company Collection
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
Ofcourse, I have no idea how (if) any of these are going to be implemented in EU3, so this idea might not even make sense at all in what is already planned/in place already.. but I'd LOVE to see the ability to simply *add* new countries, cultures etc. rather than having to recycle old tags/cultures etc. or hope for a few "user defined" granted to us.

What I'd propose (again- no idea of it's feasability, just that I'd love to see it) is something along the lines of what, for example, C++ uses.. that is, DEFINE those tags.

example:

Code:
define	culture		culture_english

define	country		country_france

define	religion	religion_catholic

and the "values" (for example, stab bonus for catholic) would then be grouped in the file "culture.txt", "country.txt" "religion.txt" etc.

where you'd get something like, for example:

Code:
religion_catholic = {
	stabcost = -200
	techspeed = 1
	diplomats = 2.5
	}

Code:
country_france = {
	flag = fra.bmp
	leadernames = orleans.txt
	leaderfile = france_leaders.txt
	monarchfile = france_monarchs.txt
	}

Looking through other Paradox games, I see that the latter part is actually already in Crusader Kings (or atleast something very much like it)
See, for example, the Traits.txt

This has also given me the additional idea of it being possible to define, on a culture by culture /religion by religion/etc. basis, the relations, bonusses etc.

So you could have English having little trouble governing Welshmen, whilst Welshmen couldn't govern English well at all. (see the relational effects between different traits)

It sounds great to me. All dynamically allocated when the .txt or .csv file is loaded instead of a fixed set of tags in the .exe. Paradox could keep the number of tags low in the vanilla game if it helps performance but modders would be free to add more if they don't mind squeezing out people with older hardware. Some other religion parameters that this would allow mods to change besides what's in religion.csv in EU2:
religions that it can have royal marriages with (or modifiers to probabiliy of acceptance)
religions that it can force-convert
religions that it can convert to peacefully

ForzaA said:
Looking through other Paradox games, I see that the latter part is actually already in Crusader Kings (or atleast something very much like it)
See, for example, the Traits.txt
Unfortunatly while you can change what traits do in CK you can't add more. Its become a real limitation, like the country or religion limitations in EU2. The only thing that seems to be missing from CK is the ability to refer to those traits in new events.

Its a good suggestion though, hopefully it can be added in now, while the game is still flexible.

Fawr said:
Unfortunatly while you can change what traits do in CK you can't add more.
This is also true of leader traits in Victoria; you can change the effects but not create new traits.