• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(35776)

Captain
Oct 31, 2004
Hello, and welcome to the first (I think, maybe? :)) graphical mod thread for Hearts of Iron II. In here you will find a number of alternative graphics for unit portraits and unit icons.

So you know what youre downloading, there is some basic terminology you should be aware of. A Portrait is the framed black and white photograph that you see when you select units in the division build screen and when you click on them for detailed information. An Icon is the small square picture, usually very simple, that you see when you select armies on the map, and on the division build screen. It is normally present together with a roman numeral denoting the tech level of the unit. Finally, a Sprite is the complex animated model that is shown on the map itself.

Ok well it looks like the game -has- been released but only like two people have it so I guess that doesnt count ;). Anyway yes, most of the regular contributors here have migrated, like geese in autumn, to the southern climes that are Stony Road, so most of the action is there now. However I will still update this post with non-inactive links. Whoa, double negative. I guess that should have been -active- links? I dont know, Im not a professor of English literature, so get off my back! :( ;)

(A note on some packs. Where the pack is named .png, it is really a .zip file, and to use the images inside you must change the extension to .zip upon downloading. After this you may unpack normally :))

Alice:
Alice's Panzer icons of DOOM!

Ashbery:
Ashbery's Icons - link to Stony Road

Krill:
Krill's Icons - link to Stony Road

Le Figaro:
Le Figaro's Downloads - link to Stony Road

Misc:
+++Special.Instructions+++
You must open the .png files below for editing with MS Paint or whatever program, use the select all command to copy the entire picture. After this, you must open a new .bmp file, paste the material onto it, shrinking or enlarging the surface as needed to make a good fit for the pasted material. Save the new file as whatever the text beside the picture specifies, copy into game directories, making sure you back up vanilla game files (unless you dont want to), and enjoy!
+++Special.Instructions+++

Icons from Panzer General 2 - I did not draw these, just pasted together. Modders enjoy :)
PG2 Soviet icons pt.I
PG2 Soviet icons pt.II
PG2 German icons pt.I
PG2 German icons pt.II
PG2 German icons pt.III
PG2 Italian icons
PG2 French icons
PG2 Infantry icons pt.I
PG2 Infantry icons pt.II

Combat Button (place in GFX\Interface\button area\) - Second Correction
Combat_btn.gif

TC Icon (place in GFX\Interface\)
res_9.gif

Alternative Counter Strip (by Alice)
hoicounterstrip1ba.png

Fallschirmjager
fj4520gw.png

+++Please.do.report.broken.links.if you.spot.any+++

Last edited:
ok so a friend told me about "image shack" so i hosted them there in the end. So here they are, enjoy everyone

(disclaimer: some of them are the originals from the game, and some that i made suck really hard, so crucify me)

(yeah, also theyre in high quality .jpg which still isnt as high as .bmp but what can you do, space restrictions. But yes they look very very very -very- close so its no big deal. And... some resolution might be lost, in which case :px10)

brigades2zn.jpg

[one of the two pics removed because of swastikas on the vertical stabilizers of the airplanes]

[if anyone actually cares :p, i can post the tank pics separately of the offending airplane swastika pics]

Last edited:
*coughs* wow its quiet in here :p

anyway, if any of you other people who are enthusiastic about making portrait pics for airplanes, and just cant find any of those 1945 jet fighter pics that you so desperately need, check out this site:

http://www.luft46.com/luftart.html

I managed to find truly excellent pics for both the Go 229 (Improved Turbojet Fighter), and the Ta 183 (Improved Turbojet Interceptor), as well as many many others that i enjoyed to see, though they were not immediately relevant to HoI 2

Le Figaro said:
*coughs* wow its quiet in here :p

anyway, if any of you other people who are enthusiastic about making portrait pics for airplanes, and just cant find any of those 1945 jet fighter pics that you so desperately need, check out this site:

I managed to find truly excellent pics for both the Go 229 (Improved Turbojet Fighter), and the Ta 183 (Improved Turbojet Interceptor), as well as many many others that i enjoyed to see, though they were not immediately relevant to HoI 2
Wow :eek: ...that was indeed some nice pics.

Bookmarked :cool:

Ive got a bit of a question for you people with lots of history links in your favourites :). Im looking to make brigade portraits for the various "Great War" class of artillery and AA and so on, so does anyone know any sites that have a lot of ww1 images?

thank ye everyone :)

A little tiny little hint to all modders.. :)

The little "grey" icons that are used everywhere to show unittypes+model number can also be customised for each country...

"TAG_model_X_Y.bmp" will be used instead of "model_x_y.bmp" whereever there is such a file.

Johan said:

The little "grey" icons that are used everywhere to show unittypes+model number can also be customised for each country...

"TAG_model_X_Y.bmp" will be used instead of "model_x_y.bmp" whereever there is such a file.

Nice, would be great if those were modded so they match the nation's model.... *dreams*. :)

Johan said:

thanks johan :)

speaking of which, i just got finished making an alternative set for air units :D. However :p, i havent figured out how to get .zip files hosted so heres a preview of them for now...

the CAS looks a little off to me :p, but im always welcoming suggestions on how to improve them :)

modelsi7hf.jpg

EDIT: ok heres an attempt...

http://img157.exs.cx/img157/986/airmodels5pm.png

this is -actually- a .zip file, so you should change the extension to .zip when you download it. To download it click "save target as".

Update: woo hoo it works! :)

Last edited:
some more stuff ive been working on on and off since getting the demo. Not much playing time, compared to working on this stuff ;)

Anyway, i made a few alterations to the model names for german aircraft with swastika free portraits to match. Theres only -one- portrait that kind of looks like it might have a swastika, the pre-war Ju 86, but thats just half a letter H thanks to one pixel of gray ;)

Same procedure as above: save target as, rename to .zip and unpack

http://img68.exs.cx/img68/715/airportraitsger2mf.png

the .csv file in there is a list of the updated model names to match the aircraft portraits. Just kinda paste that in over your existing model_names.csv, over the GER section for models 12 to 19. I dont see why this ought not to work on the full version, once we commoners get them :), but it works just fine on the demo.

Just one thing, i forgot to put ' ' around some of the names before i packed it up and uploaded it, so its up to you :p. Heres the list as i meant it to look:

MODEL_GER_12_0;Messerschmitt Bf-110 Zerstörer;;;;;;;;;;X
MODEL_GER_12_1;Junkers Ju-88G;;;;;;;;;;X
MODEL_GER_12_2;Messerschmitt Me-410 'Hornisse';;;;;;;;;;X
MODEL_GER_13_0;Messerschmitt Bf-109F Franz;;;;;;;;;;X
MODEL_GER_13_1;Messerschmitt Bf-109G Gustav;;;;;;;;;;X
MODEL_GER_13_2;Focke-Wulf Fw-190D;;;;;;;;;;X
MODEL_GER_13_3;Messerschmitt Me-262 'Schwalbe';;;;;;;;;;X
MODEL_GER_13_4;Gotha Go-229;;;;;;;;;;X
MODEL_GER_14_0;Heinkel He-51;;;;;;;;;;X
MODEL_GER_14_1;Messerschmitt Bf-109D Dora;;;;;;;;;;X
MODEL_GER_14_2;Messerschmitt Bf-109E Emil;;;;;;;;;;X
MODEL_GER_14_3;Focke-Wulf Fw-190A;;;;;;;;;;X
MODEL_GER_14_4;Messerschmitt Bf-109K Kurfürst;;;;;;;;;;X
MODEL_GER_14_5;Messerschmitt Me-163 'Komet';;;;;;;;;;X
MODEL_GER_14_6;Messerschmitt Me-263;;;;;;;;;;X
MODEL_GER_14_7;Heinkel He-162 'Salamander';;;;;;;;;;X
MODEL_GER_14_8;Focke-Wulf Ta-183;;;;;;;;;;X
MODEL_GER_15_0;Heinkel He-111;;;;;;;;;;X
MODEL_GER_15_1;Heinkel He-177 'Greif';;;;;;;;;;X
MODEL_GER_15_2;Messerschmitt Me-264;;;;;;;;;;X
MODEL_GER_15_3;Heinkel He-277B;;;;;;;;;;X
MODEL_GER_16_0;Junkers Ju-52;;;;;;;;;;X
MODEL_GER_16_1;Junkers Ju-86;;;;;;;;;;X
MODEL_GER_16_2;Dornier Do-17;;;;;;;;;;X
MODEL_GER_16_3;Junkers Ju-88;;;;;;;;;;X
MODEL_GER_16_4;Junkers Ju-388;;;;;;;;;;X
MODEL_GER_16_5;Arado Ar-234B Blitz;;;;;;;;;;X
MODEL_GER_17_0;Heinkel He-115;;;;;;;;;;X
MODEL_GER_17_1;Dornier Do-217;;;;;;;;;;X
MODEL_GER_17_2;Focke-Wulf Fw-200 'Condor';;;;;;;;;;X
MODEL_GER_17_3;Arado Ar-234C;;;;;;;;;;X
MODEL_GER_18_0;Junkers Ju-87B 'Stuka';;;;;;;;;;X
MODEL_GER_18_1;Junkers Ju-87G 'Stuka';;;;;;;;;;X
MODEL_GER_18_2;Henschel Hs-129;;;;;;;;;;X
MODEL_GER_18_3;Junkers Ju-287;;;;;;;;;;X
MODEL_GER_19_0;Junkers Ju-52/3m 'Tante Ju';;;;;;;;;;X
MODEL_GER_19_1;Junkers Ju-290;;;;;;;;;;X
MODEL_GER_19_2;Messerschmitt Me-323D 'Gigant';;;;;;;;;;X
MODEL_GER_20_0;V1;;;;;;;;;;X
MODEL_GER_21_0;V2;;;;;;;;;;X
MODEL_GER_21_1;V2/A9;;;;;;;;;;X
MODEL_GER_21_2;V2/A10;;;;;;;;;;X

and i really ought to give credit for the photos some of these pics were made from: luft '46 artists of course (link above) for two of the images, and various luftwaffe research sites as well

http://www.geocities.com/pentagon/2833/luftwaffe/luftwaffe.html
http://www.warbirdsresourcegroup.org/LRG/index.html
http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de

Last edited:
In the spanish forums i found first unit icon mod by Kronoss, soon avaible :)
hoi2a6eh.jpg

Do you really like the graphics on the left better than the one that come with the game? I would at least try to get rid of that ugly green border...

RoMMeL DvAz said:
In the spanish forums i found first unit icon mod by Kronoss, soon avaible :)

Those look very cool, except for that electric green haze. Kronoss have you tried resizing those images on a white background, and then pasting them over green?

Also it would be cool if there was some way to match coloured images to the shades of gray that the game icons use. Perhaps a photoshop colour formula? Hint hint ;)

If someone figures out how to give it to us largely photoshop inept people, that would be very awesome :)

Zanza said:
Do you really like the graphics on the left better than the one that come with the game? I would at least try to get rid of that ugly green border...

TBH I personally like the grey stamped metal look in that window. I'd go for a greyscale Panther (or whatever) pic.

Le Figaro said:
[one of the two pics removed because of swastikas on the vertical stabilizers of the airplanes]

:confused:
Afaik, in Germany, it isn't forbidden to show swastikas if they are in historical pictures or books, dealing with history. Our history book are full of them, also books about tanks, aircrafts and ships.