• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(1724)

First Lieutenant
Mar 11, 2001
Visit site
My First AAR. Although I used to write out full game AAR's while playing wargames such as Guadalcanal Campaign, Bomb Alley and other Gary Grigsby Designs....

IGC 2.3 Very hard/Furious Normal Taxes, Standard SPA Lowlands, Free Bretagne, Super Hansa, T.O Ingermandland, COT in Anglia & Moscow, Burgundy the Mighty & Balkanization

Austria, the sick man of europe, is to attempt to rise to greatness...

Objectives of the Nation: 1492-1600+

1- Assimilate Hungary
2- Assimilate Bohemia
3- Conquer Venice and absorb their lands (and especially PORT) in our lands.
4- Become a Colonial Power, and "lose" the Hapsburg fixation of "europecentrism"
5- Ally with but attempt to "control" Spanish and French Domination of the Colonial &
european world.
6- Become the 1st Empire to go protestant and/or reformed.
7- Be a Bulwark against the heathen Turcs, the barbaric russians and the civilized but aggressive Poles.

Variation:

a) Colonist.csv modified to allow 1/colonist, sometime 2/year.
b) Will get an explorer "family" from 1505 or so to 1650's
c) Will get an conquistador "family" from 1505 or so to 1650's...

This means that 1 leader will last for a long time, but his/her name will change every 20-30 years or so unless killed by natives and other hazards.

No Tech levels modified.
Colonist starts at 4...
They will NOT increase since we have no PORT yet....
Displomats = normal
merchants = notmal
Possibility of starting with 1000 Gold at start instead of 100 (get's game going faster..... have to stop Spain)

File available upon request.

===========
Intro - Pre-1492.:

Our family having been expelled from Spain, we vow revenge upon the spaniards in the future. After leaving for Portugal , we find scant welcome and must leave there as well, a short time later. They will
face our wrath as well..

Since we would never work for the heathen muslims and especially turcs, we hear that the Austrian Hapsburgs have need for a royal councillor.... Since another branch of our family has "loaned" fortunes to Maximilian we receive an audience.

Over fine wine, myself and the King hit it off famously and I have the position of Royal Councilor, Junior level

<g>. After the family and the baby get settled in, I start looking over the tactical & strategic situation.

See Objectives above.

One point I am trying to convince the royal court of is that Christianity must be reformed to better combat the turcs and their heathen religion. We see ourselves as the civilizing influence in this region, and the pope's antics in rome (mistresses, children, monies etc) is not helping our and Christendom's cause.

We will try to "influence" the College of Cardinals but if no progress is made, we will just have to see... The Italian City states will be "sounded" out for help in this enterprise, but as they are almost corrupt in their respective outlooks, we do not hold out much hope.

An Alliance with Hungary is concluded, and we are now 3 countries in our little corner of europe.... Austria, Bohemia (5 provs) & Hungary (8 Provs). We have 12 Provinces (I Think), 2x Armies

We hear from our spies in the Royal Court of Spain that a New route to the Indies has been found, and that a Christopher Columbus individual has found it ! He talks to tales of dusky women, sugar & spices, of places fabulous where beverages could be created from the soil.... (Rhum !)

We will attempt to spy on their "discoveries" over time, and hope to get "lucky" (i.e. steal their Rutters)

Maybe we will engage the services of one of our own "explorers", but without an outlet to the Med, it will not happen.... Which bring us to the following....

1- Displomatic Objective is DIPLOMATIC Annexation of both Bohemia/Hungary in the next 40 or so years, before we REFORM our churches (i.e. Our Catholic state changes to protestant or reformed).

2- Diplomatic Objective 2 is creating a buffer zone between us & Turkey, so possibly invite Serbia in our alliance(s).

Our analysis shows that Venice must be our military objective at this time, to get a PORT facility on the Mediterranean, and race Spain in the new world.

Mantua & Illyria are to be our sprinboard to the Med, crippling Venice's ability to expand West and capturing Illyria ( a CB Shield state) before the turcs can threaten it...

Our 2x Armies are on the move, with 1 army to attack from Tyrol (to threaten Mantua) and Styria (to threaten Venice itself and disrupt Army Mobilizations i.e. low morale slaughters....).

====

That's my Intro...

Any ideas from the real veterans here, is this going to be fun or am I starting too strong to be interesting ?

Thx & Let me know

Jean

P.S. When is EU II slated for English/North America release ? Anyone know the latest news ?

Last edited:
nice work Gauth, Austria is one of my favorite countries to play and with your added twists it should be interesting to see how you do. Keep up the good writing:)

Thanks Warspite...

I was afraid I was going to have no interest in my AAR, as

1- It's one of the "GREAT powers", although almost a minor really, with some big things to surmount.

2- I "cheated" a bit by giving them an explorer, a conquistador (both in 1505/1510), modified colonial dynamism and added some money.

Thanks for the nice words

Jean

P.S. I would think that Austria could have been a "colonial" power because:

1- If it had let itself be "influenced" by SPAIN's success in the americas (it's MAJOR, CONSTANT Ally).

2- Maybe some people would not have minded leaving before the TURC advances, victories & reverses, which turned the balkans into a bloodbath.

3- They were 'Imperialistic' like the other great powers, maybe more so. They also had (later) incredible generals & mercenaries like Wallenstein... the only general able to "take on" my personal hero, Gustavus Adolphus or Gustav vasa II.

Again, Spain's influence here with their colonial possessions....

BTW, am I the only one who thinks that "Wallenstein's" values are a bit low compared to what he did in history ?

Take care everyone
Jean

Keep up the good work!!!! Östreich Uber Alles !!!

Right about that!!! Who's first??? Bohemia???

will you conquer all of Venice, or just some coastal provinces???

Try for only 2 provinces, as the venetian fleet is huge, and I will have no ships for a LOOOOOONg time...

Is there any way I could conquer all 4 islands with a 20 ship fleet ?

Thx

jean

After due evaluation, and seeing how much Austria is weak form a technology standpoint....

I think I have no choice but to wait for:

1- A War of aggression against Venice.
2- A general of my own....
3- Expiration of the alliances with a end date of 1503 or so (Milan etc).

I am making some diplomatic moves of my own, but everything else is so weak for Austria, I have to wait...

Maybe waiting is bad as everyone else is growing stronger while I grow barely at all..

Maybe Austria should just wait till 1500-1504 before making the 1st move...

BTW, is Hngary & Bohemia a good set of countries to get into our orbit & eventually Vassalize/Annex or do they get you into too many wars with powerful neighbors, a.k.a. Turkey & the Poles.

Any ideas out there ?

Hey Warspite , any ideas ?

Non wonder Austris hitched it star to Spain... Although without the "lower countries" that really belonged to Austria (and not Spain)
it is weaker than normal for this time period.

Thanks a lot
Jean

:eek:

Gauthijm just to let u know the low countries were never attched to austria, what happened was that after charles the bold was killed in battle louis XII of france garbbed the 'french' parts of the burgundian realm whist charles daughter Margaret(i think it was daughter) inherited the many terriotries of the low lands. Charles V inherits them off his grandmother Margaret, went on a killing spree gaining countships etc of the remaining low countries, melded them into one territory them passed them to his son Phillip II of Spain. To anyone who knows him or of him thank u to Mr. Gurton of DCGS in Amersham for making my life hell during my A-levels for the past 2 years and that i can (vaguely) remember that !:D

Are Austrian low countries on???

No....

I decided, maybe wrongly that Austria would be a bigger challenge if they did not have them...

Well it is.... a challenge I mean <g> :D

Thx for the history lesson Azrael...

We'll see if I can make any progress versus Venice, Milan , the turcs..

Priority # 1 is to find an outlet to the Sea.... I NEED that port for later..

Take care
Jean

So, what is situation in low countries???

Maybe cause I am from low countris, could be partially free, could be burgundian, that's why!!!

Here goes, let's hope that you like it, and/or there is interest in seeing a colonial Austria....

=================================================
Austria, under Maximilian I : The rise to Empire
=================================================

1492:

Jan-March

After discussions with his Majesty, we decide that it would be prudent, due to our central location in the middle of Europe,
to arrange Alliances: This must be done as soon as possible and therefore our single diplomatic envoy is sent to the large but backward Empire of Hungary to our East. We quickly arrange the alliance, and we now have a large buffer state between us & the turcish heathens.

Our Provinces number 7, and are: Saltzburg, Vienna, Odenburg, Carnolia, Presburg, Styria (our Gold province and the cornerstone of our small country), and finally Alsace, isolated near France & the German Princes.

Our goals are to strenghten the Empire's economic wealth, buildup 2 armies in Tyrol & Styria to attack Venice and conquer
Mantua, Istria & Venice itself to end the War.... Istria is CAPITAL, we need an outlet on the sea, in this case the Med.

We raise 10,000 Infantry in Tyrol.

April-June

We sent our returning diplomat, feted for the occasion (for his success w/ hungary) to Saxony, where they accept our offer of Alliance. We have great hopes for them , as they are one of the stronger German Princes, and now guard our Northern border against the Hanse, Brandenburg & others.

The Treaty of Tordesillas is declared by the pope, dividing the New World between Portugal & Spain. We will not forget, nor forgive the Papal States for this effrontery. In any case, we will proceed with our plan to get to India and it's riches, and therefore weaken the power of Venice and become rich ourselves...

Our Economy is at 1,910 Ducats per month (Or 19.1/Month), a respectable but hardly impressive figure.
We send our 1st Merchant to Venice, the richest Center of Trade (COT) in the world.
We send 25Gold (or "25G") to Bohemia, a +18 in our relations with them (Bohemia +179)

July-Sept

We send another Merchant to Venice....
Saxony asks for a RM, and we gladly accept.. We had no spare diplomats to send them...
Russia declares War against Kazan. We do not care in the least.

To December...

Lost Merchant in Venice
Over 6 Provinces are almost done implementing the Tax Collectors..
Stability in the Realm is the best ever, and we are happy... (Stab +3).
We are at 20.1 Ducats per month...

With our Annual Tax Levy, we are at 5,400 Ducats in our tresury (540 really).
More merchants to Venice
Kazan is fully annexed by Russia. This was obviously a quick victory. Russia bears watching.

We reach LT-3, Artillery....
50 cannons are to be built, at a cost of 140G for Tyrol Army
40 cannons are to be built, for Styria Army.

The Mameluks lose 2x provinces to Turkey... We must have not knownthat there was a DOW in the past
We only care in that Turkey does not become too powerful too quickly...

Our intrepid diplomat, Lord Karel of Styria, manages to turn Bohemia into a vassal state. ! We will receive a portion
of their national income, our relations are at +192, and Bohemi broke the Royal Marriage they had with Russia...
I guess the poor girl is on her own now...

We also manage a RM with Spain, in addition to a lucky diplomatic event of +25 to both Hungary & Spain.
Denmark, Wurtemburg & the Hanseatic League are the next ones to be send one of our sons & daughters...
(RM's).

In December, a large war begins when Poland-Lithuania ("P-L"), the huge empire to the east of us, DOW's
Turkey, probably our mortal enemy (along with France for the future).
Spain, England, Milan, Naples, Lorraines & the Mameluks join in on Turkey. turkey is alone and is the scene
of massive armies clashing on turkey's grounds. Attrition of armies is horrific as disease and desertions take their
toll.

A tax Collector is send to Tyrol....

In March, to save on expenses, we take the chance of cutting expenditures by lowering Military Readiness
to 50%.... We save 1.9/Ducats per month by doing this...
We will not (hopefully) get into any wars for a while, we will try to wait for Venice to get into a war
of it's own and then we will strike. If that does not happen by 1500 or so, we will attack by that time, with our new cannons & hopefully generals of our own.

War is going bad for the Mameluks, but Poland-L is managing to hold it's own (hit horrendous losses on both sides)

We are losing one of our Merchants in Venice.

July

The Hansa receive 25G (Rel @ +26)
RM with Hannover (From -46 to -35)

August

Even with our reverses, we are at +5 Merchants in Venice... Let's hope this works....

Sept.

We reach Trade & Infrastructure Level 2, enhancing the Health of the Empire (and probably helping our
Venice merchant presence)

Spain & Portugal refuse to share their explorations... What a surprise..

P-L loses badly in a army battle in Azana(?) vs Gen. Hadim Sinan.

Dec

We lose 1 and send another merchant to venice... We finish the year at 5 merchants, or 45/Ducats a Year !

Diplomatic Offensive:
RM with Baden (+35)
RM with Lorraine (+155)
RM with Hessen (+10)

========================
That's it for now...

I will enter some more within 24 hours...

I am now up to 1530 in the game...

ouch. you're walking quite a tightrope there. with P-L to the north and turkey to the south (here i am, stuck in the middle with you!), you should probably tread lightly for a while. you thinking of allying with P-L to kick the heretic turks out of the balkans for good? might be easier, since you'll only have one border to worry about then. a word though: when the turks DO attack, march immediately into their territory and lay waste to their forts. don't even TRY to fight their main army. i learned that lesson as hungary, when i got bitch-slapped right into the turkish empire, with my head rolled into a basket. though if you get some good generals, you could probably afford to fight them on even terms.

Originally posted by Gauthijm
You mean whi gets toasted first ?

venice !

I need that PORT, so I can go on and explore the wide world

Take care
Jean

No you dont, you will conquer every single inland province in Europe, no coastals whatsoever!! :D