• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

PraetorianGuard

Second Lieutenant
33 Badges
Nov 20, 2003
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Darkest Hour
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II
Well, I'll be taking up the challenge of doing a Burma AAR after sucessfully surviving for a decent amount of time as Annam (and conquering a few Indochinese Nations along the way). Hopefully, I'll finish this unlike my previous two.

Goals:
Fend of the British during the Three Burma Wars
Unify Bengal and begin to build a Trading/Indochinse Empire
Become a Regional Power, World Power if possible.

Well, There you have it, Wish me luck. I'll start the game tomorrow and I'll be doing a Narrative/Third Person type of AAR like my previous two.

Good luck. Fending off the British shouldn't be too hard, but keeping your empire? :D I assume you're going after Indonesia too?

By the way, what version? VIP or Vanilla? No cheating?

Good luck. I'll be watching.

A Burma AAR promises to be intresting.

Part One: Calm before the Storm
1836-1837

At the dawn of the Era of Exploration and Colonialism, The country of Burma was the Military Power in Southeast Asia. Around 1551, Burma reached it's height of power under King Bayinnaung. Who expanded Burma to it's approximate borders today, Overthrowing the Shans and then conquering both Siam and Laos. Since that glorius time, The European expanonists had established a foothold, Mainly Britian. The Kings of Burma felt threatened and tensions begun to rise between the two Nations for the next 300 years.

Finally, In the early 1800's, The tensions reached their height, Burma was continuing to expand into the South, East and west. Enroaching frequently India and continuing small warfare with Siam. After the Burmese conquest of Assam, Britian sent a Expeditionary force to help the natives. Infuriated by British Action, Maha Bundula, Burma's general and governer of Assam, Planned a 2-pronged attack on Bengal from Assam and Arakan. Burmese troops soon threatened Chittagong.

Finally, On March 5, 1824. Britian declared war on Burma. The Burmaese army put up a great defense against the Invaders, But the Brtish Occupation of Rangoon and the Assault on Assam and Arakan forced the Burma army to surrendeor and seek peace. The treaty of Yandabo was signed February 24th, 1826, Giving Britian the rights to Assam, Arakan and the Tenasserim coast and ending the two year war, Along with Burma's predomiance in Southeast Asia.

Since then, Burma had been under the Shadow of Britian. It frequently faced civil wars and it's Kings refused to fight back. A Weak King Bagyidaw came into power in 1830, The king kept Burma quiet and hidden from the Growing british power, However he was extremely weak had anti-military agenda. His brother, Tharawaddy and General of the Burmanese army, Begun to build up the Army in the beginning of 1836. Tharawaddy also signed a Treaty with Siam after persuaing Bagyidaw, Forming a alliance between the two nations.

By the end of 1836, Burma's Military was rebuilding, And with the Order of The beginning of research in Flintlock rifles. Tharawaddy begin to hold confidence in the New Army.

By 1837, Burma had three legions, The Assamese Legion, The Burmanese Legion and The Army of Burma, Both had 3 Divisons and more soldiers were being trained. Around June, Tharawaddy made a suprise move by deposing of his Brother and immediatly proclaiming the invalidation of The Treaty of Yendabo. Tharawaddy proclaimed that Arakan, Assam and The Tenasserrim Coast were rightfully Burma's. Britian refused to acknowledge the claim and warned Tharawaddy. Tharawaddy ignored the warning and sent in troops to occupy the three regions. Britian, Approaching Diplomacy before War, Finally gave Burma the Rights to the regions, But demanded Burma's vassalage. Tharawaddy again refused, Proclaiming that the British had to fight Burma for it.

On December 11th, 1837, Britian finally declared war upon Burma. The following speech was given at Mandalay in the city square, Shortly before the Army 's mobilization. Accounted by an Asian Historian.

"My Great Fighters, You have been called into War by the People of Burma, The Armies of Britian are descending upon our precious lands. The Government of Britian calls themselves the liberators of the world, Freeing countries from what they call "savages.". However these are false claims, Where Queen Victoria herself is a Savage Ruler, Destroying soveringty from countries and forcing them to bow to the feet of the Royal Court, However, Burma will not. We will fight down to the last man we have. Not only do you fight for Burma men, You fight for the freedom of other countries on these lands. Will you follow me into battle and save the glory of this country? Or will you bow without a concious before the Savages, It is your decision, But if you follow me, We will win..We will win..."

The campaign begun with a suprise, A Division from the Assamese Legion revolted and attacked the main army.

The Second Burma War had begun...

The Situation at the beginning of the war.

Rebels and the British? :eek: Not a fun position to be in.

wILL THERE BE ANY SCREENSHOTS ETC?

He posted a link to one at the end of his post.

Mh...this will either end in independance or dry the Burmese population dry.

Eh, The British only have a few divisons near us, They might be superior in Technology, but we outnumber them. If Im lucky, I might be able to end the war before Britian fully mobilizes.

Hrmm...

Don't know if you're counting on the Brit's AI for that. They don't like to give peace. At all. Until you're dead and they're bleeding out of every orfice, or you're sitting in London and the Royal Navy is at the bottom of the North Sea.

I'd suggest offering them some provinces with a lot of minority POPs -- they'll be annoying anyway -- and trying to end it before there's much fighting. Those Indian cavalry divisions will send your irregulars running in no time.

Friggin' Bengali Lancers...(grumble)

-Adso

Come on the Brits! :D

The Second Burma War: Part one
1837-Early 1838

As we read previously, The Second Burma war was ignited by different actions caused by both Burma and Britian. The Invasion of Chittagong was key development before the war.

At the Start of the war, The Burmamese plan was to sweep into Assam and Arakan, While the South Burma Legion went into the Tennaserrim coast.

However, Plans were halted when a Division from the Assamanese Legion revolted against the Main Army. Though the Battle, Which was later named the Battle of Akur Field, was swift. The Division was quickly put down.

The Campaign resumed immediatly after the battle. The Burmanese forces struck in full force. All seemed to go well as Yeh and Gyaong fell within a few months. The British Soldiers greatly under estimated the fierce Burmese fighters as Organized gunfire couldn't stop the mass Pike and Cavarly charges. Luckly for the Burmese, The Bengali Lancers weren't seen in the battles.

The War Plan

The Battle of Gyaong

The first major battle in the Second Burma War was the Battle of Gyaong on Janurary 22, 1835. The Burmese Army lead by Asung - Sam met on a Field with the British Army, Lead by General Collins surronded the Dense Jungle. The Burmese had 4 Divisons while the British only had 1. The Charge from the Burma Army came swiftly as the Pikemen raced down from the Jungle with their flanks protected by Light Cavarly. The Burmese took heavy losses during the charge, About 1,010 Men. However once the Massive collums slamed into the Thin British Lines, The Tide turned as the Lines broke within minutes and The British fled to regroup and managed to fire a few more volleys, But the Burmese kept on coming and forced the British to do a full retreat. The Battle was quick and decisive, But the British would strike back again.

After the Battle, The Burmese won a few more minor battles but The tide turned again as British Reinforcements from India came into Burmese territory and began to crush the Burmese Armies with Superior Numbers and Firepower. The British soon recaputed Gyaong but Yeh was still in Burmese control.

By Mid 1838, The British were sucessfully driving back the Burmese and pushing into Burma Territory, Capturing Chin and Pegu. Cutting off supplies to the South Burma Legion in Tavoy. Rangoon, A Key Port city was also captured by the British, before Tharawaddy knew it, The British were driving towards the capital.

(To be continued.)

(OOC: Eh Sorry, It's just late here, I'll write the conclusion tomorrow. Planned more to this actually.)