• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(3221)

[retired] FM
Apr 20, 2001
Visit site
I've had several terrain parameters problems in 1.06 that were noticeable so I became used to reviewing and sometimes editing the saved game terrain modifiers to correct problems that I spotted.

River_attack, however, still continues to puzzle me. In my 1.06b German game I saw a French counter attack over a river with inf having a -65 river crossing penalty in July 1940. I looked within a just before war August 1939 saved game and saw these terrain parameters for French inf div:

modifiers = {
infantry = {
mountain_attack = -40
hill_attack = -10
jungle_attack = -15
swamp_attack = -15
fort_attack = 5
mountain_defense = 15
hill_defense = 5
forest_defense = 10

panzer = {
mountain_attack = -80
hill_attack = -20
forest_attack = -10
jungle_attack = -50
swamp_attack = -30
river_attack = 3
shore_attack = 20
fort_attack = 5
mountain_defense = 15
hill_defense = 5
forest_defense = 10

The thing that interests me is that there was no river_attack for any units except for the first river wading tech in armor.

Because I had the two river attacks techs researched, my German inf had 50 and my Pz... had 16 (one wading tech not yet researched).

TWO QUESTIONS:
1) What is the default value for infantry river attacks? Is it -65 as shown in my screenshots instead of -50 which I thought was the default value?
2) Why is there no river_attack value for most units in the saved game until a river crossing tech applicable to them is researched? How does river_attack get into the game when it is not shown in the saved game terrain modifiers for the various kind of divisions? Why do the French inf in this example have nothing listed for river_attack?

In 1.06 the undocumented river attack modifier was - 50! Quite sure about that, because in Core and Super Ai they increased this starting modifier by - 20 ( to -70)
In vanilla the inf techs you could research would allmost eleminate this modifier (+ 25 and +20 IIRC)
In core and Super AI you only get +4 (which leaves you at -66 for crossing a river!)
Don't know why they want it to be that hard!

Anyway, in 1.06b this might have been changed, must check!
Oh, and the first time river attack appears in the savegame is, when you researched a tech which increases the modifier! And when it says +20 river_attack in vanilla HOi it really is (+20 minus 50 (per default!))
Hope that helps,

regards

I'm not sure if I've researched any river techs or not (probably have) and I'm showing a -65% river attack modifier in 1.06 vanilla.

If I understand what I'm reading above, I think it looks like the penalty gets WORSE if you research techs???

LR

Could be the game is using the swamp_attack modifier which would be right above the river_attack modifier if it existed (based on the panzer modifiers). Try changing the infantry swamp_attack modifier to something other than -15 and see if your river_attack penalty changes. Could be related to the problems with uninitialized modifiers taking the value of the last initialized modifier although those values were then saved in the savegame IIRC.