• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Johan

Studio Manager Paradox Tinto
Administrator
Paradox Staff
15 Badges
Dec 14, 1999
  • Diplomacy
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • War of the Roses
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Magicka
  • Starvoid
Have been edited together into a word-document now, which will be included in patches from now on..

You can download it from this thread and print it out...

New revision...

Attachments

• Victoria_Nation_Guide.doc
    266 KB · Views: 12.135
Thank you! Good overview! will help a lot! :)

Cool! Can you include updates posted here?

Here's mine:

Unaffiliated Indian minors: The easiest to play is Panjab, you have five divisions but minute income. Set military maintaince very low - so that you will only have 4000 men or so in every division, tariffs high, and forget about crime fighting and education. There is one cardinal rule, which you must always remember: Do not have a border with the UK. So, you must give awayyour border province with Great Britain. If you can get some (hopefully non-affiliated) minor to give you a few hundred pounds for it, all the better. If not, give it away for free. Then, you have a free hand to take out Afghanistan. Though they have the same size armies, you can run circles around it and win most battles due to cavalry. Capture most of the country, including Kabul, and they will offer, or you demand, three or four provinces. Now, wait for about eight years for your badboy to wear off, and repeat the process with everyone in the area not protected by the UK. The new Mughalstan is a possibility if you play your cards right - and, unlike them, you can take Persia. Careful and slow expansion is the order of the day.

calcsam: You can't give away all your border provinces as Panjab, as one of them contains your capital. Even if you could, it would mean giving away half your country (three provinces) which sort of kills your advantage.

No offense meant to anybody, but the document could really use a shot of grammar and spelling correction. I'm only mentioning it because of the stated intent by Paradox to include it with the next patch.

Silverlight said:
No offense meant to anybody, but the document could really use a shot of grammar and spelling correction. I'm only mentioning it because of the stated intent by Paradox to include it with the next patch.

As far as the spelling correction goes, Openoffice 1.1 seemed happy with all the spelling before I sent it out. (the spelling in the posts on the board are off though, because I type fast and don't correct until later.)

As for grammar, I know my writing style has some idiosyncracies, but as F.G Fowler points out, Grammar is a choice of style as much as substance, readability should be key.

In short all errors are mine. ( Except any Johan added when editing it :rofl: )

Anyway, perhaps we could restrict added comments and strategies/tactics to the main thread to avoid repetition and clutter.

Last edited:
I dont know why

I dont know why, but I cant read it, could you perhaps release it in another format? (if its only text, then .txt) if not then pdf.. I know its alot of work, but I would really like to see your work, cus I have now completed the game with Wurtemberg (in which I took over italy, france, austria, prussia and all the german minors) with no cheating, looking for some more challenges.. :D

Swecalle said:
I dont know why, but I cant read it, could you perhaps release it in another format? (if its only text, then .txt) if not then pdf.. I know its alot of work, but I would really like to see your work, cus I have now completed the game with Wurtemberg (in which I took over italy, france, austria, prussia and all the german minors) with no cheating, looking for some more challenges.. :D

Hi Swecalle, if you click on the link in my previous post for the main page you cna see it there in full html glory :)

Excellent, a guide to help me understand each country more before playing...

*reads* :eek: Tibet is unplayable? But, but they can be! They're my favorite country to play 'hands-off' since I still have trouble understanding the economy/factory aspect just yet... plus after 30 or so years, you might have enough of an economy to take over Bhutan! Hoorah!

... Okay, maybe not. But you can still expand somewhat. Just not into China... Britain... Russia...

Alex Gariepy said:
Excellent, a guide to help me understand each country more before playing...

*reads* :eek: Tibet is unplayable? But, but they can be! They're my favorite country to play 'hands-off' since I still have trouble understanding the economy/factory aspect just yet... plus after 30 or so years, you might have enough of an economy to take over Bhutan! Hoorah!

... Okay, maybe not. But you can still expand somewhat. Just not into China... Britain... Russia...

Lol, thats the challenge of it all Alex. I merely say expect nothing, with nations like Tibet, it makes it all the sweeter when you do manage to do things successfully.

Whatever Open Office says, this document while great needs some spell checking.

There are a lot of it's where it should be its and so on.

Doomfarer said:
Whatever Open Office says, this document while great needs some spell checking.

There are a lot of it's where it should be its and so on.

As I have already mentioned to Silverlight, I will do so, I'm just brushing up on my grammar with the assistance of H.W & F.G Fowler ;), but thanks for the thoughtful comment nonetheless.

Great Download

Thanks for putting together this download, gives a good insight to the playable nations for all of us still waiting for the game to be released. role on the end of March 04.

I would very much like to view this document, but this computer has no Microsoft Word. I've seen a lot of posts on various forums for different games using proprietary formats to post very valuable resource files and must object to the requirement to purchase Microsoft Word to participate in this.

As a resource I have no doubt that this is some incredible stuff. Also, MS Word is a great tool for producing quality documents, but as a format for consumption, it stinks. Word has the capacity to save files as HTML and does an excellent job of formatting them to look nearly identical to the Word document. Of course it doesn't include any graphics. Also, Acrobat only costs the producer (which can be prohibitive of course to every having docs like this produced) but is one of the best portable formats. I hope if this file will be included in a patch that it will be in a format that doesn't require a hundred dollar purchase to view.

I would still very much like to view this file on this forum prior to the next patch so if possible it would be great to see a non-proprietary version on the forums soon.

Thanks for your time.