• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
one intermediate option may be to take your 1.3 game to the point of a Barbarossa, if it proves incompatible with 1.4 you've then got a range of choices:

a) just start at June 1941, problem is you've lost all your long term planning and ideas;
b) try and port your German set up into that scenario. Its a fiddle but I did this from the other side - just never then used the results. PM me if you want to discuss the gruesome dynamics of this. At least that way it'll be your created Germany against a historic (hopefully they fix the current pro-Soviet bias to that set up) USSR.
c) of course the big problem here will be if other things are too different in your game world compared to WW2, but at the moment the worst you've got is a Republican rather than Nationalist regime in Spain - editable in the save file if you need.

So my vote is to push on (I'm enjoying this faaaarrrrr too much), try to convert, if not try to do a partial import, if not start with the good and bad at June 22 1941? If really stuck do a 'dallas-dream sequence' that'll cure any continuity errors :D

Rank and File
A Clerk’s War​

1st August to 3rd August 1939

A brand new artillery brigade has been assigned to 18.Infanterie and is on its way to Cloppenburg where the unit is recovering after the successful Battle of Winschoten. The division will be fully integrated and resupplied by the time it is needed for the next stage of Fall Gelb. Unless, of course, Holland surrenders beforehand. With news of another victory, at Eibergen, that is possibly not too far away. What is promising is that we only lost 112 men while the Dutch lost 1,076, so maybe the Dutch will to resist is fading.

The Gebirgsjagers have finally got into action. There have been a few senior officers who were not happy about the fact that the 1st Gebirgjagerskorps was transferred to the south of the Westwall when it was intended to use them in Belgium. In my view, you can never understand the workings of OKH and it is not worth worrying. Perhaps they were more concerned about the French attacks than they let on? With Osterreich Army focussed on Bruxelles, General Hell is to force his way through the much fought over province of St Wendel. His 6th Gebirgsjager Division has its full complement of 10,000 officers and men, and is opposed by General Kiefer’s 3eme Motorised, which, although a veteran unit, has taken heavy casualties recently.

stwendelfinal.jpg

Battle of St Wendel

I was so busy clearing up after the end of month mess that the afternoon went by in a flash, with nothing but routine messages. My staff have all been working incredibly hard the past few weeks, so I indicated that for once I would not be concerned if any made an early Feierabend. Sometimes rules are meant to be relaxed.

Every important event seems to happen in the middle of the night! I am convinced that there is something the politicians and researchers love about midnight as without fail it is the time that they make their announcements. A little consideration for the rest of the population would be good.

This midnight announcement was from Denmark, and was no surprise: Fall Rache is over. We always thought that when we occupied the interim capital of Arhus (Muller’s 20.Infanterie marched in unopposed) the Danes would accept that further resistance was futile. The surrender was complete, and we have annexed the whole country, including Iceland and Greenland. How long we can keep those distant possessions is another matter.

As soon as the surrender documents were verified, a priority telegram went to General von Rundstedt at the headquarters of the Benelux Army. Lt General von Witzleben’s VIII Armeekorps is to be released immediately and transferred to Army of the Ardennes. There is to be no time to rest: it is essential to keep Fall Gelb moving.

If Fall Gelb does slow, it will not be the fault of General Leeb. Only a day or so after his victory in Winschoten, he is on the move again, this time attacking 3e Divisie in Delfzijl. Leeb’s 28th and 13th Divisions have obviously received replacements as he has 19,996 men available for the battle, while the Dutch have barely 5,000.

delfzijlfinal.jpg

Battle of Delfzijl

During the night another diplomatic announcement: Sweden is mobilising its army. The Cabinet asked for an urgent briefing note, concerned that the Swedes were about to join the Allies. Minister von Neurath was very quick with his response (a direct request from the Reichskanzler’s Office often has that effect). While Sweden sees the Reich as a grave threat, it has some similarities with our policies and has significant difficulties with some of the Allies. It has strong trading links with the Axis and, if anything, it is growing closer to our point of view. This is not to say that a strong diplomatic push by the Allies may not cause it to suddenly join the war against us (the memory of Belgium is still present), but it is not likely in the next few weeks. The crucial point, however, is that our military intelligence tells us that Sweden only has four infantry divisions at the most, so even if it did declare war, it is no real threat. Our navy can keep it bottled up and it does not have the capability to invade Denmark as long as we keep Copenhagen garrisoned.

swestrvm37.jpg

A Swedish Stridsvagn m/37. We believe they have about 50 of these vehicles, armed with twin 8mm machine-guns. Although the Swedes do have a few vehicles capable of armoured warfare, there are not enough to cause serious concern.

With an assurance that Denmark (and therefore the Ostsee) is under control, the Luftwaffe has transferred 3rd and 4th Taktischeluftflotte from Benelux Army to Army of the Ardennes. As usual with the tactical bombers, we will need to wait a few days for them to adjust to their new bases before they resume regular bombing missions.

They may be needed soon, as Bitburg, a key industrial city and the site of our major forward airbase, is under attack. The French under Giraud have sent 3 divisions against General Bock, who has only his own 36.Infanterie and a Slovak militia brigade (though luckily for him 1st Gebirgsjager Division was passing through Bitburg as the attack commenced.) His report seemed quite nonchalant for someone seriously outnumbered and I worried about his attitude until a friendly military aide took me to a map and pointed something out. The French divisions are all attacking from Saarlouis, and we have units in two bordering provinces. If General Kesselring has any sense (and I understand he is a very experienced and capable officer) a counter-attack on both flanks will soon have the French on the run.

bitburgfnal.jpg

Battle of Bitburg

Thoughts of Bitburg were put to one side as a series of battle reports were received. The first was from Eupen where the Belgian Army took more punishment, though they are still holding together. Bock acknowledges 1,210 dead from his 36.Infanterie, against 2,042 Belgians. He mentions that at least one fresh Belgian division moved to the front to shield the beaten units as they retreated in disorder. He commented on the bravery and discipline of these troops who gave their lives so that the bulk of the Belgian Army could escape.

Comparing the date stamps on the documents (I believe I have already mentioned that my staff are under strict orders that every document be stamped as soon as it arrives in the office) General Bock was sending his victory report when the French attacked. He was even more fortunate than we first realised. No wonder he was relaxed in his report: if the French had attacked a few hours earlier when his division was committed against the Belgians he would have been in serious trouble. As it is, if he waits a few hours he should be OK. As they say, a lucky general is a good general.

The second victory brought some cheers from some of the military men present. Looking at their uniforms, it was easy to see they were all Panzer men, pleased that armoured units had shown their worth again. It was a decisive win. Despite having 18,000 men to defend Morbach, the French have been beaten in less than four days, and have lost 1,587 dead. Out of our nearly 80,000 soldiers that ended up committed to the battle, we lost only 548. I thought of mentioning that my brother’s unit had been in the battle but hesitated in case they thought I was just making it up to appear to be one of their group. And then the moment was lost. I hope Heinz is not one of the 548.

pz2fuel.jpg

One of our Panzer IIs moves through a rubbled street. Our Panzertruppen are showing their inventiveness: frustrated by the low range of their vehicles (less than 140 kilometres off-road) they have attached a modified trailer with an extra fuel tank. To me it looks extremely dangerous. I don't think I'll ask Heinz if he has tried this: I think I know what the answer will be.

The final win was of course in Delfzijl, where the Dutch simply fell apart under Leeb’s attack. He only suffered 27 casualties while the Dutch lost 192 men before they broke. Considering that the battle began at 4PM yesterday, and was over by 8AM today, it looks as though Dutch resistance in the north of the country is over. Outnumbered, under-equipped and under continual air and sea bombardment, it is understandable that raw courage can sustain troops only so far. Unless the Dutch have a reserve of fresh, well-equipped divisions, then surrender cannot be far away.

rotterdamkapitulationfi.jpg

The Dutch admit defeat in Delfzijl: trapped soldiers unable to retreat offer to surrender

The Battle of Saarlouis began earlier than I expected. Maybe Kesselring is more cunning than he is given credit for. Did he predict the French attack on Bitburg? Or did he have direct intelligence that it was to take place? Perhaps he will explain how within an hour of Giraud giving his men the order to advance into Bitburg, Kesselring ordered General Petzel to take 34.Infanterie and 2nd Gebirgsjager from Luxembourg into Saarlouis, hitting the French on the flank just as they engaged Bock’s men in Bitburg. Giraud will have a hard time disentangling his troops from this mess, and may suffer considerable casualties in the process.

saarlouisfinal.jpg

Battle of Saarlouis

It took just another two hours for Bock to contact Kesselring and the battle report to be sent to Berlin. Giraud has called off the attack on Bitburg and his men are desperately turning to adjust to the flank attack. Casualties were about equal (115 to 130) but as Bock states in his description of the battle, it could have been so much worse. He is just grateful that fortune smiled on him today.

The Luftwaffe reported clashing with French fighters over Metz, which is about as far forward as the Armee de l’Air can get its planes. Weise had no trouble in preventing them from getting near our bombers.

As dusk approached, a message from Wilhelmshaven arrived. Commander Fricke has taken 3rd Unterseebootsflotte into the darkening Nordsee, heading for the East Gibbs Fracture Zone. His mission is to concentrate on unprotected convoys and avoid combat if at all possible. We now have all 6 flotillas of our U-boats at sea. Knowing the odds against them, perhaps I should worry more about my brother-in-law Christoph than my brothers, who at least have a series of victories under their belts. While the French and Belgians are not push-overs, I don’t think they match the power of the Royal Navy. And I suspect that, like a lioness defending her cubs, the British will be ruthless when answering a call from a merchantman under attack.

uboats.jpg

Some of our submarines on the afternoon of the 3rd August: as soon as it is darker they will leave Wilhelmshaven and enter the dangerous waters of the Nordsee.

Bombing Summary

1st August

Eibergen: Udet with Ju 87G: 39
Eupen: Sperrle with 1 x Bf 109G, 2 x He 111: 70, 143
Morbach: Kesselring with 1 x Bf 109G, 2 x He 111, 2 x Ju 87G: 74
Neunkirchen: Lohr with 2 x Ju 87G: 29
Morbach: Muller-Michiels with 1 x Bf 109G, 4 x He 111: 114
Neunkirchen: Schwartzkopf with 1 x Bf 109G, 2 x He 111: 100
St Wendel: Lohr with 1 x Bf 109G, 2 x He 111, 2 x Ju 87G: 121, 50
Morbach: Kesselring with 1 x Bf 109G, 4 x He 111, 2 x Ju 87G: 75
Neunkirchen: Lohr with 1 x Bf 109G, 2 x He 111, 2 x Ju 87G: 50

2nd August

Eupen: Sperrle with 1 x Bf 109G, 2 x He 111: 67
Morbach: Kesselring with 4 x He 111: 60
Morbach: Kesselring wit 1 x Bf 109G, 4x He 111, 4 x Ju 87G: 47
St Wendel: Lohr with 2 x Ju 87G: 70
Eupen: Dorstling with 2 x Bf 109G, 4 x He 111: 143
St Wendel: Muller-Michiels with 2 x He 111: 122
Neunkirchen: Lohr with 2 x Ju 87G: 76
Eupen: Sperrle with 2 x Bf 109G, 4 x He111: 146, 121
Morbach: Kesselring with 1 x Bf 109G, 2 x He 111, 4 x Ju 87G: 113
St Wendel: Lohr with 2 x Ju 87G, 2 x He 111: 148
Morbach: Kesselring with 1 x Bf 109G, 4 x He 111, 4 x Ju 87G: 48

3rd August

Morbach: Kesselring with 4 x Ju 87G: 54
Eupen: Sperrle with 1 x Bf 109G, 2 x He 111: 156
Saarlouis: Grauert with 2 x He 111: 147, 89

The Luftwaffe attached an explanatory note to the bombing estimates. It acknowledged that the mass bombing raids attempted on Morbach had been counterproductive, that even an experienced leader like Kesselring had difficulty managing nearly a thousand aircraft in limited airspace. What was of more concern was that the following day (3rd August) several missions were not completed: although the planes left their bases intent on a bombing mission, their orders were confused and the units believed they were to carry out a rebase. As a direct result, enemy losses due to bombing were sharply reduced. No-one knows what caused this mix-up, but a close check will be kept on administrative procedures to ensure it doesn’t happen again.

denmarkfinal.jpg

Denmark: Fall Rache complete

fallgelbfinal.jpg

Fall Gelb at end of 3rd August

westwallfinalend.jpg

Westwall at end of 3rd August

The Italians have started to be a little more forthcoming with information. They have let us know that they have been building up their forces in Albania, in preparation for the recovery of Korce. (We have not told them that we are well aware of this, courtesy of the Yugoslav government and our own spies).

greecefinal.jpg

Greece at end of 3rd August

We have also been informed that the Italians have gone on the offensive in East Africa, seizing the French port of Daddato. They may have exaggerated their performance: from other sources we gather that the port was unoccupied.

eafricafinal.jpg

East Africa at end of 3rd August

italianandirergular.jpg

An Italian soldier and a Somali irregular raise the Italian flag over a captured strongpoint in Daddado. Needless to say, this photograph was provided by the Italian Embassy.

The Italians won't be able to take on the Greeks by themselves, they do need to ask the Yugalsavian army. Even they the Greeks do have very strong positions to fall back to.

The Dutch finally seem to crumble under the weight of the Wehrmacht and the Belgians are running home as fast as they can. Once the German formations currently occupied in the north are free to move south, the Belgians won't find the time or space to reorganise they shattered divisions. Both countries should have problems reinforcing their units by now already.

The French advance has been contained by now and from the looks of it, the Wehrmacht is trying to recover the lost ground while dealing with Belgium and the Netherlands simultaneously. In a few weeks the AI will only have France to be occupied with, then things will be interesting if the French manage to use rivers and the such as strongpoints.

Once France has been dealt with, you really should consider occupying Sweden, Norway and Spain. Both will give you much needed IC plus manpower plus resources plus leadership at comparatively low cost. Same goes for Romenia and Bulgaria. There is no such thing as too much IC.

Btw, I'd be going for Option 2. Install 1.4 and forget about the consequences :)
I just hope it also fixes that awful Italian and Japanese AI.

Stopping this AAR is not an option, the FuhAAR and the ReadAARs would be furious!

Last edited:
So my vote is to push on (I'm enjoying this faaaarrrrr too much), try to convert, if not try to do a partial import, if not start with the good and bad at June 22 1941? If really stuck do a 'dallas-dream sequence' that'll cure any continuity errors :D

+1
Very good idea.

You mean that our poor clerk will have to wake up under a shower one day ?;)

Actually since this was SO long ago I am not sure about the Dallas szene, but I think it involved a shower, too.

CharonJr

If I recall properly they declared that a whole series had just been a dream? I too forget the exact details, but it could be the plot device needed to keep this AAR on track

3. Load 1.4, speed play (with as close to possible the same decisions) to roughtly the same point and provide a "cross-over" update to highlight any differences. (Also a Plan B if Option 2 is tried and fails).

Well, this is the option I would go with. However, 1.4 won't be released for at least a month and that gives you plenty of time to continue playing this game as is. Perhaps by then you will have a different opinion of what to do.

Hang in there!
;)

I won't reply individually to all the respondents to my request, but thank you all.

What I have tentatively decided is:

Keep going on 1.3 until 1.4 is finalised (could be 6-7 weeks)

When 1.4 public beta is released, I'll run a test to see if a save game is compatible. (Playing a long way ahead is not my preference, but it is for a good cause.)

If OK (looking less likely the more I think about it) then no problem.

If not OK (probably 95% chance) then "catch-up game" under public 1.4 beta. I am hoping that, as with ver 1.3, the final 1.4 is compatible with the final. (My current game started under 1.3 public beta). That way I can be ready for a switch without a long pause.

Obviously there will be differences (I hope Japan does a bit better) so I will have a short series to explain: already have a few ideas. What I hope is that I can do the changeover at a major event, say Fall of France. I have my notes so I can pretty much keep builds, tech decisions etc the same.

My objective will be to get as close as I can, and not to "fine-tune" the game.

Thanks again for your support.

From my experience with the 1.3 public beta I would not use the beta for this AAR, there were still lots of bugs found during the beta which would be pretty much just wasting your time if the same happens with 1.4 which is very likely IMO (even if it sounds like they are doing more internal testing this time around).

CharonJr

I think you should just continue until 1.4 is released then wait and see what has been done and if it is compatible with current saves. Personally, it wouldn't bother me to watch this go to a conclusion in 1.3 if 1.4 is not compatible. It is a great aar, no matter which version it is run under.

It's a difficult question. I would say play until Barbarossa. Then wait for 1.4, play as fast as you can and in the same way the game again, hoping things will be somewhat the same. Then resume the AAR again.

It takes a bit more time, though. But maybe the save game wont work with 1.4.

PS: good update!

Obviously there will be differences (I hope Japan does a bit better) so I will have a short series to explain: already have a few ideas. What I hope is that I can do the changeover at a major event, say Fall of France. I have my notes so I can pretty much keep builds, tech decisions etc the same.

My objective will be to get as close as I can, and not to "fine-tune" the game.

Personally, just play through 1.3. This may be the one of the few AARs that will document version 1.3, so keep on playing it and let future AAR readers know exactly what are the problems with 1.3 and experience it first-hand. Besides, replaying the game may still lead to certain minor changes that could affect everything.

You may hope for a stronger Japan in the next playthrough, but said stronger Japan might cause ripple effects that can change the game entirely...either making the Axis stronger overall...or having a premature American intervention in the war, which could pretty much negatively effect your Clerk's mood.

I find 1.3 quite playable. Of course I am more of a recreational HOI3 player ^_, not one AAR to my name, and I have been known to type "supplies" in the console rather often :D. So I would not mind seeing the entire tale unfold in 1.3.

As an aside, in my last german game (which I am pretty much abandoning due to upcoming 1.4), I shipped a marine korps (2divs + HQ w 3 extra brigades) to Macao (right before the war), and was able to break out Japanese mini super-stack from Hainan after Japs got the French Indochina with only the help of one or two Para divisions. In fact, Paratroops are invaluable to Germany, as they are just about the only way to reinforce far away theatres while Allies still own the seas. The point of this aside is that a whipped Japan is not a throw-away just yet. Macao is a perfect beachhead for you: You can paradrop enough divisions before Barbarossa kicks in to break out the Japanese and get them back into the fight. And if you get your ass handed to you, hole back up in Macao, and airlift out safely. (limited war on Guanxi, so Portugal is a safe heaven). Not to mention the possibility of taking Hong Kong.

From my experience with the 1.3 public beta I would not use the beta for this AAR, there were still lots of bugs found during the beta which would be pretty much just wasting your time if the same happens with 1.4 which is very likely IMO (even if it sounds like they are doing more internal testing this time around).

CharonJr

I think you should just continue until 1.4 is released then wait and see what has been done and if it is compatible with current saves. Personally, it wouldn't bother me to watch this go to a conclusion in 1.3 if 1.4 is not compatible. It is a great aar, no matter which version it is run under.

It's a difficult question. I would say play until Barbarossa. Then wait for 1.4, play as fast as you can and in the same way the game again, hoping things will be somewhat the same. Then resume the AAR again.

It takes a bit more time, though. But maybe the save game wont work with 1.4.

PS: good update!

CharonJr, Forster, BoemsiBoemsie

I will wait to make a decision until 1.4 is finalised. When 1.4beta comes out I'll play around with saves games, and speed ones, to see how it goes.

Personally, just play through 1.3. This may be the one of the few AARs that will document version 1.3, so keep on playing it and let future AAR readers know exactly what are the problems with 1.3 and experience it first-hand. Besides, replaying the game may still lead to certain minor changes that could affect everything.

You may hope for a stronger Japan in the next playthrough, but said stronger Japan might cause ripple effects that can change the game entirely...either making the Axis stronger overall...or having a premature American intervention in the war, which could pretty much negatively effect your Clerk's mood.

I find 1.3 quite playable. Of course I am more of a recreational HOI3 player ^_, not one AAR to my name, and I have been known to type "supplies" in the console rather often :D. So I would not mind seeing the entire tale unfold in 1.3.

As an aside, in my last german game (which I am pretty much abandoning due to upcoming 1.4), I shipped a marine korps (2divs + HQ w 3 extra brigades) to Macao (right before the war), and was able to break out Japanese mini super-stack from Hainan after Japs got the French Indochina with only the help of one or two Para divisions. In fact, Paratroops are invaluable to Germany, as they are just about the only way to reinforce far away theatres while Allies still own the seas. The point of this aside is that a whipped Japan is not a throw-away just yet. Macao is a perfect beachhead for you: You can paradrop enough divisions before Barbarossa kicks in to break out the Japanese and get them back into the fight. And if you get your ass handed to you, hole back up in Macao, and airlift out safely. (limited war on Guanxi, so Portugal is a safe heaven). Not to mention the possibility of taking Hong Kong.

Servant, Mortu

Playing on with 1.3 is not an option really. I would lose interest quickly, knowing a better version is available. (I am assuming 1.4 will be better). I found 1.2 "playable", but I dropped it like a hot potato when 1.3 came out. I note Mortu is dropping his 1.3 game - I feel a bit like that.

But don't worry - I am very keen to make any changeover as painless as possible - for the reader, I suspect it will involve a lot of playing and abandoning for me!

BTW, we talked about the AI never doing paradrop earlier, look at what just happened (from the General AI thread: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=455355&page=7)

One of the other screenshots is actually about the Japanese AI not being braindead, but overly careful concerning the border with the SU and placing troops there till Manchu takes over (#128).

CharonJr

I don't think the Japanese AI is braindead, but it doesn't seem to be able to choose the best of its options. It reinforces failure and abandons success. And seems to have little idea of priorities (ie holding its ports).

And if that screenshot is from a vanilla game, I am amazed.

But I need to get back to the AAR - I have a self-imposed target of Vichy/Conquest before 1.4

It is vanilla, but as I said I cheated by editing the savefile and redistributing supplies (from their stockpile to places at the front where they were overstacking their troops) and rare metals (from my stockpile to theirs) to offset some of the most glaring AI weaknesses.

CharonJr

Rank and File
A Clerk’s War​

4th August to 7th August 1939

The Netherlands continues to fight, though surely the Government must realise that it is all over. Their armed forces are no longer able to put up more than token resistance, and not one of their allies has sent help. Now they must suffer more, as Ruoff’s 2.Infanterie (motorised), a veteran of many battles in Poland, is taking on von Geusau’s already crippled 8e Divisie in Eindhoven. With barely 4,000 men remaining, the Dutch are merely hoping to slow our advance to gain some breathing space.

eindhovenfinal.jpg

Battle of Eindhoven

It is unlikely that the Dutch sacrifice will buy them time to reorganise their troops. OK West wants to crush them quickly so that the Korps in Holland can hit the Belgians from the north. An indication of the pressure they will place on the Dutch was not long in coming. Late on the night of the 4th General Kostring sent his motorised 10.Infanterie into Deventer, preventing 1e Divisie from moving towards the capital. As we in the Kanzlei have noted before, the objective is clearly that none of the Dutch troops in the east of the country will make it to defend the key city of Amsterdam.

deventerfinal.jpg

Battle of Deventer: note the Nordseeflotte off the coast (and the naval bombers patrolling to make sure that no British fleet can get near them without being spotted!)

The 5th August could be called a day of victories. It seemed that all day every message was from one of our generals reporting yet another win. It started early: at 2PM von Geusau’s men had enough and broke. A disappointed Ruoff was unable to pursue immediately: he provided little detail other than it would be a few days before his trucks could start moving. We have been plagued with vehicle breakdowns (heaven knows how many requisitions for replacement parts and repair equipment I have received), but it seems more likely it is just going to some time to get his troops through the built-up areas around Eindhoven. At least he won’t need many reinforcements: he lost only 32 men while the defenders lost 132. It will be at least late on the 8th before he can get going again, but the capture of this major city is a damaging blow to the morale of the Dutch population.

stationfinal.jpg

Evidence of the damage suffered at Eindhoven: the railway station after the Dutch retreat. Similar destruction throughout the city could explain Ruoff’s difficulty in moving forward.

At dawn, the British gave up in Neunkirchen. After losing 880 men, General Gott is pulling out. I suppose we now know that the British will take heavy casualties to assist the French. Von Brockdorff-Ahlenfeldt is proving to be a very dependable officer, perhaps undervalued. He lost 652 men, but attacking a well organised and dug in enemy is not an easy task. Now he just needs to hold the province.

britishbrenandleeenfiel.jpg

The British were not going to surrender Neunkirchen easily: armed with a mix of Lee Enfield 303s and Bren guns at least this platoon is prepared to fight

By midday, St Wendel was in our hands. The Gebirgsjagers have proved once again what fine troops they are, forcing the French 3eme Motorised Division to retreat with 501 casualties. General Hell reported very heavy fighting, but his losses were about equal (486). Unfortunately before the mountain troops could take full possession of the province, the French 46th Brigade managed to block our access with its tanks and vehicles. De Angelis has taken charge and has assured Heeresgruppe West that his 60.Infanterie (motorised) backed up by 3rd Gebirgsjager Division can remove this obstacle without assistance.

stwendelfinal.jpg

Battle of St Wendel

renault35final.jpg

Renault 35 light tanks of 46th Brigade moving into position in St Wendel: the French reacted quickly to the defeat of 3eme Motorised and blocked our advance

The fourth victory was in Deventer. It took Kostring less than a day to sweep the Dutch out of the way. Once again our losses were minimal (28) while the Dutch lost far more (177).

Another motorised division is ready for deployment, but it has not been assigned to a formation as yet. It has been posted to Bitburg, where I believe it is to assist in the defence of the city for a week or so until a Panzer Division will be fully trained. The two divisions will then form the basis of our second Panzerkorps.

It appears as though some effort will be made to keep our tankers at sea, at least temporarily. A sheaf of new orders for our factories came in late on the 5th and heading the list was an order for escort vessels for our convoys. They should be ready in less than 2 months.

The other orders were not a surprise. When looked at in total, they were for everything necessary to equip a new motorised division (with three motorised infantry regiments and an attached self-propelled artillery brigade) and another garrison division (with two garrison regiments and a police brigade.)

The only thing I remember of the 6th of August is that late in the evening we commenced the assault of Liege, the city where the bulk of the Belgian Army has retreated. The twelve forts of the city can be expected to give us some problems, but Geyr von Schweppenburg has taken 2nd Leichte Panzer into the city without waiting for infantry support, perhaps hoping to catch the Belgians before they can set up a defence. Whether he can do so or not, he still faces 20,000 troops and will find it hard to force his tanks into the city with its narrow streets.

liegefinal.jpg

Battle of Liege

pzkpfwii07.jpg

Panzer IIs negotiate a narrow bridge in Liege: conditions will get worse for our armoured vehicles but General von Schweppenburg cannot wait for the infantry to catch up.

Minister Schacht was praised highly by the three Wehrmacht Ministers (von Blomberg, Goering and Raeder) as well as the Fuhrer himself when he announced on the 7th (another of these midnight announcements!) that we have developed new technology which will free up even more of our manpower from agriculture. For some months now the manpower needs of our armed forces have been the topic of many serious and high-powered meetings, and the losses in Poland and due to the French invasion have only made the issue more pressing. It was to be expected that the research team, after a brief period of congratulation, was told to get back to work to further improve the technology and equipment. Once again we will be world leaders: according to Minister Schacht it will be 1942 before the rest of the world catches up with us.

A request from Rumania for an extremely large amount of military supplies has been turned down. I heard that Ministers von Neurath and Schacht pushed hard for an agreement, but OKH triumphed. It was a close decision though, with the Fuhrer having the final say and acknowledging that closer diplomatic relations with Rumania and increased foreign income were both very attractive propositions. The need to keep all our factories producing for the Wehrmacht triumphed however.

Bombing Summary

4th August

St Wendel: Udet with 2 x Ju 87G: 43, 147, 129, 56
Saarlouis: Sperrle with 1 x Bf 109G, 2 x He 111: 64
Saarlouis: Dorstling with 1 x Bf 109G, 2 x He 111: 92
Eindhoven: Grauert with 2 x He 111: 139, 79
Saarlouis: Sperrle with 2 x Bf 109G, 4 x He 111: 161, 144

5th August

Deventer: Kitzinger with 2 x He 111: 63, 120, 150
St Wendel: Udet with 2 x Ju 87G: 29, 100
Saarlouis: Dorstling with 2 x Bf 109G, 2 x He 111: 69, 130, 147
Neunkirchen: Grauert with 2 x He 111: 35
Eindhoven: Sperrle with 1 x Bf 109G, 2 x He 111: 64
Neunkirchen: Muller-Michiels with 4 x He 111: 164
St Wendel: Kesselring with 4 x Ju 87G: 104

6th August

Saarlouis: Sperrle with 1 x Bf 109G, 2 x He 111: 60
St Wendel: Kesselring with 6 x Ju 87G: 59
St Wendel: Muller-Michiels with 2 x He 111, 2 x Ju 87G: 71
Saarlouis: Kesselring with 3 x Bf 109G, 6 x He 111, 2 x Ju 87G: Nil
St Wendel: Kesselring: 4 x Ju 87G, 4 x He 111: 55
Saarlouis: Schwartzkopf with 3 x Bf 109G, 6 x He 111: 50, 25
St Wendel: Kesselring with 6 x Ju 87G, 2 x He 111: 50
St Wendel: Kesselring with 2 x Ju 87G: 33

Once again it can be seen that too many aircraft dramatically reduce the effectiveness of our bombing attacks. Until we can discover a method of controlling large numbers of planes in a finite area, we cannot continue such large missions.

7th August

Saarlouis: Schwartzkopf with 2 x Bf 109G, 4 x He 111: 66
St Wendel: Kesselring with 4 x Ju 87G: 33, 92, 105
Liege: Muller-Michiels with 1 x Bf 109G, 4 x He 111: 80
Saarlouis: Grauert with 2 x He 111: 87
Liege: Muller-Michiels with 1 x Bf 109G, 6 x He 111: 150, 102
Saarlouis: Schwartzkopf with 2 x Bf 109G, 4 x He 111; 89
Saarlouis: Schwartzkopf with 2 x Bf 109G, 6, He 111: 75

The Italians have announced to the world that they have successfully invaded Corsica. It has certainly taken them long enough, and the very brief press release issued by Count Ciano, the Foreign Minister, does not mention casualties. We suspect they were very high as, for unknown reasons, the Italians landed in the defended hills to the south rather than the apparently undefended plains in the north of the island.

alpsfianl.jpg

French-Italian border at end of 7th August

holland78final.jpg

Holland at end of 7th August

belfr78finalend.jpg

France/Belgium at end of 7th August

Those sneaky French... calling a medium tank division 'infantry brigade' ;)

French maskirovka :D

When I noticed that I nearly started a thread in the General forum:

"What makes HOI3 unplayable" :rofl:

With a bit of work and effort I think I can still continue.

Sorry - have been reading some of the more pessimistic threads re the upcoming 1.4 and am amazed at how negative some people are. There are apparently doznes of people who have abandoned the game as "unplayable". I think that this AAR has shown (allowing for the minor glitch with the Hungarinas after the Fall of Poland) that it is not only playable but great fun.

Enough letting off steam.

Yes those devious French - this is what we have to put up with. All the Reich's units are clearly and honestly named, not a hint of deception. And how are we repaid? By calling armour units "infantry"! What next? Dummy tanks? Camouflage? Is there no honour in the Third Republic?

Last edited: