• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Semi-Lobster

Tàishǒu of Rìnán Commandery
47 Badges
Nov 13, 2003
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For The Glory
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Magicka
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
In Crusader Kings 1 there was a little kingdom jutting out of southern Egypt of Nubia which was playable which from correct. The Christian Nubian Kingdom of Makuria existed in one form or another (such as the Kingdom of Dotawo) until 1484. I wonder if it will still be around? The fate of the African Christian states (Makuria, Alodia, Axum, Shewa) and their battles against their Muslim neighbours fit pretty well with the Crusader Kings gameplay, it was full of dynastic intrigue, scheming, infidels, pagans and of course, crusading.

Last edited:
I think they will be there

Since the map now extends to the Horn of Africa and all around the Arabian Peninsula, I'm pretty sure Nubia will be in the game.

there's space for Ethiopia as well, methinks

DVIP added an actual Nubian culture, which will hopefully be present in CK2 as well.

I wonder how they will model Ethiopia if Paradox chooses to include it. The Kingdom of Axum at the time was overrun by the Sidamo Jewish Queen Yodit (Lilith) and what was left of the royal house of Axum, the Solomonic dynasty had to flee into Shewa

Last edited:
I wonder if Sidamo will be on the map though.

Of course we don't know for sure if Gudit was Jewish, just that she wasn't Christian. The Sidamo were at the time a Pagan people (and many still are today), while Judaism was strong among the Agaw. Of course we don't know if she was a Sidamo. The Sidamo was not exactly a fierce military power.

Of course we have during the CK 2 era both the Zagwe dyansty 1137-1270 and the new Solomonic dynasty that came to power in 1270 and lasted to the Period of Princes that begun in the early 1700s (ie. far after the end of CK 2).

And in Nubia we should have the kingdoms of Nobadia and Makuria (as well as the crown of Alodia that was held by the Makurians).

Last edited:
I wonder if Sidamo will be on the map though.

Of course we don't know for sure if Gudit was Jewish, just that she wasn't Christian. The Sidamo were at the time a Pagan people (and many still are today), while Judaism was strong among the Agaw. Of course we don't know if she was a Sidamo. The Sidamo was not exactly a fierce military power.

Of course we have during the CK 2 era both the Zagwe dyansty 1137-1270 and the new Solomonic dynasty that came to power in 1270 and lasted to the Period of Princes that begun in the early 1700s (ie. far after the end of CK 2).

And in Nubia we should have the kingdoms of Nobadia and Makuria (as well as the crown of Alodia that was held by the Makurians).

You're completely right, we don't know much about Yodit/Gudit at a all... but a literal translation of the Hebrew name 'Judith' doesn't catch me as an African pagan name also you're right we don't know if she was Sidamo, thats just one a few competing theories. All we can be sure of is historically she probably did exist, there are too many corroborating Arab documents that talk about the 'Pagan Queen of Habesh' (the Arab name for Ethiopia), Agaw is a strong possibility if she was Jewish.

As for Nubia, I was under the impression that Nobatia had already merged into Makuria but I agree Alodia should be a separate crown that Makuria is holding since Alodia was merged into Makuria and then separated again in the 12 century

You're completely right, we don't know much about Yodit/Gudit at a all... but a literal translation of the Hebrew name 'Judith' doesn't catch me as an African pagan name also you're right we don't know if she was Sidamo, thats just one a few competing theories. All we can be sure of is historically she probably did exist, there are too many corroborating Arab documents that talk about the 'Pagan Queen of Habesh' (the Arab name for Ethiopia), Agaw is a strong possibility if she was Jewish.

As for Nubia, I was under the impression that Nobatia had already merged into Makuria but I agree Alodia should be a separate crown that Makuria is holding since Alodia was merged into Makuria and then separated again in the 12 century

If she is in the game she will hardly be jewish since there wont be any jews in CK2.