• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I did notice the similarities in the interface to Civ5 and I must say it didn't bother me one bit. The interface works, it's responsive and if you spend some time with it you notice some good refinements (click to skip animation is so awesome) that make the gameplay that much more enjoyable. My sincere opinion is that if it works don't try to change it just to be different.

Based on the demo, really, the only UI changes I'd like to see is perhaps a bit more feedback (maybe optional) on the city nameplates with respect to what is going on in that city (what's being built perhaps?) and in the future some visible indicator of enchantments cast on cities would be nice. I'm not going to complain either way.

As an aside, I discovered the demo yesterday on Steam, played it and promptly pre-ordered the game. I am a huge fan of MoM and this is the closest game to that experience I've had in a long while. I hope you guys plan to develop it further in the future (expansions, dlc) to add more fun elements to the game (heroes and artifacts come to mind). In any case, great job! Looking forward to release day tomorrow.

Pretty much every publication out there is going to compare this game to Civ V in their reviews. You best get used to the fact that the comparison is fair....and some of you ought to take the time to come up with a better general response than "just because it has hexes, that doesn't mean its like civ." You'll look like idiots.

The level to which the interface borrows from Civ V, all the way down to the eerily similar combat animations and sounds is uncanny. To suggest there is no similarity or relationship is just asinine.

That said, Civ V was an atrocious pile of dung that pretty much ruined that franchise for me. And this game....looks to be the glorious start of a new franchise I can get behind. So what if you borrowed heavily from Civ? The game looks, sounds and plays amazing.

But this game has nothing to do with Civ V. It's an evolution of the Fantasy Wars engine with empire building thrown in the lot, like how Pride of Nations is the AEGOD engine + sandbox mode. Other than the way cities attacking/defending is handled, the rest is all things that were already in Fantasy Wars in the first place!

It's the people who keep comparing to Civ V who are being asinine.

Farmville is also most played but would you want this game to use anything from that crap? What about Minesweeper or Solitaire?
The judgement from the experts at Civfanatics is quite clear, that game was a failure comparable to Civ3. Civ IV is the king still.

Actually Empire Total War is also on that list, I am quite sure the twcenter.net judgement was quite clear on how bad that game was (even though I liked it).

Even so. Why would we want anything from that game? This is a fantasy game and should use all it can from Master of Magic and possibly Age ofWonders and HOMM. Those are the hallmark games in this genre.

I think you are too concerned with forum opinion where loud mouths make a lot of noise and not by real gaming stats that show people are actually playing CIV5 and Empire rather than being nostalgic about past games like CIV4.AOW and HOMM are not even 4X.

I played the demo and liked the design.

You people should stop comparing this to CIV V.

Civilziation V is WORST CIVILIZATION GAME EVER RELEASED. Those who have played it will know. Drop in quality from CIV IV is so big i cant even consider that crap as a successor.

Now Warlock on the other hand seems learned from CIV V mistakes and made something CIV V should have started from. As long as Warlock stays on this course i rather play it than CIV V crap. Props to developers and such.

Warlock will definitly roll the crap out of CIV V and its mods anytime. The only thing we may be lacking is modding community compared to civilization one, but i hope that will change!

I should me conserned about what casual gamers think rather than hardcore fans? Rather not. That would give me
nothing but endless tower defence games, zombie games etc. Exactly the crap that swamps AppStore at the moment.

Games like MOM, MOO, MOO2 etc were made for people who love gaming and they set the standards.

Also. Age of Wonders and HOMM are fantasty strategy games and as such have more relevance to this game than Civ V, a game soonforgotten when those 20k on Steam without life stops playing it. Age of Wonders contain all the X:s as far as I am aware btw.

I should me conserned about what casual gamers think rather than hardcore fans? Rather not. That would give me
nothing but endless tower defence games, zombie games etc. Exactly the crap that swamps AppStore at the moment.

Games like MOM, MOO, MOO2 etc were made for people who love gaming and they set the standards.

Also. Age of Wonders and HOMM are fantasty strategy games and as such have more relevance to this game than Civ V, a game soonforgotten when those 20k on Steam without life stops playing it. Age of Wonders contain all the X:s as far as I am aware btw.

Im not going to tell you what to be concerned about,but If I were a game company and I had a game that was in the top 10 most play games on steam ever since it was released, Id have a big fat smile on my face :)

There really isn't anything wrong with Civ 5. It isn't Civ 4 complete, but that is because Civ 4 has had many patches and two expansion packs. It is still a good game.