[1.10] 50% limitation when picking idea groups

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AKronblad

Primus Inter Pares
34 Badges
Jun 1, 2008
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Sengoku
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Deus Vult
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Gold Edition
  • Tyranny - Tales from the Tiers
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Rise of Prussia
  • Europa Universalis: Rome Collectors Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • 500k Club
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
From 1.10 Patch Notes: "You can no longer pick a new idea group of a certain type (ADM/DIP/MIL) if more than 50% of your current groups are of that type."

Does anyone know whether this applies to player or AI or both?

Yes, it applies to the player. From another thread:
So it looks like the cap is actually trunc(50% of idea groups) +1, not 50% of idea groups. Dear god I'm tired. The cap is just rounded up. i.e...

1 max at 1-2 total
2 max at 3-4 total
3 max at 5-6 total
4 max at 7-8 total

Which is a bit more manageable, and frankly, I can't think of a SP situation in which I'd want to break that -- or have broken it, IIRC. At least since Exploration and Expansion were both DIP and the first two picks for a couple starts.

That being said, what a bizarre design decision. Opportunity should be important enough of a resource to ward away from bunching up on idea groups from a single category; if it isn't, that's a problem with the balance of the categories.

It applies to everyone I think. The AI has followed a similar principle for some time now, trying to spread out its idea picks so it doesn't have too many of one type.

Reactions:
All hail the republic!

This makes back to back rulers in monarchies that are high in one stat very bad.
I played a game a few days ago where 3 rulers in a row were admin 5 or 6. And they ruled for 20-30 years each. I can't stack Admin ideas so what am I supposed to do? Conquer and core?

Reactions:
60% seems a better threshold. Or giving a significant tech cost penalty for having more than 50% of one idea type might be less restrictive.

I meant 66% obv. brain freeze moment.

Last edited:
60% seems a better threshold. Or giving a significant tech cost penalty for having more than 50% of one idea type might be less restrictive.

The effect of changing the threshold from 50 to 60% would be that you'd be able to take 5 groups in one category and you'd be able to pick the fourth in one in your sixth rather than seventh slot. I.e. it would only affect your last three slots in any way.

Meh, 50% is fine. Only the opening influence - diplo isn't possible. All other strategies still work. I never broke this rule except of the influende - diplo opening. So this rule is fine.

Meh, 50% is fine. Only the opening influence - diplo isn't possible. All other strategies still work. I never broke this rule except of the influende - diplo opening. So this rule is fine.
Nope, I really intended picking Admin, Religious, Influence and Innovative (random order here) within my first 4 groups and now that's impossible.

The effect of changing the threshold from 50 to 60% would be that you'd be able to take 5 groups in one category and you'd be able to pick the fourth in one in your sixth rather than seventh slot. I.e. it would only affect your last three slots in any way.

Sorry I meant 66% (2/3rds). No idea why I said 60%. Brain freeze. :/

From 1.10 Patch Notes: "You can no longer pick a new idea group of a certain type (ADM/DIP/MIL) if more than 50% of your current groups are of that type."

What exactly does it mean? I've planned to start with Economic (Admin.) and next I'd like to take Religious Ideas (Admin. too). Does it mean as 2nd group I have to choose another idea group like e.g. Exploration (Diplo.)?

What exactly does it mean? I've planned to start with Economic (Admin.) and next I'd like to take Religious Ideas (Admin. too). Does it mean as 2nd group I have to choose another idea group like e.g. Exploration (Diplo.)?

That's exactly what it means.

Also, didn't Wiz specify that it is 50% of current idea groups? So if you have one Mil and one ADM idea you can pick another MIL idea group because only 50% of your groups are mil.

Can't say I approve of this design. Simply not allowing things is always a worse choice than making things more difficult to achieve.

We already have a -2% tech cost reduction per idea, per domain (adm/dip/mil). You could easily change that to a more intricate formula that takes into account the ideas in the other domain, leading to a possible increase, possibly even a large one, in tech cost if your ideas are too one-sided.

Nope, I really intended picking Admin, Religious, Influence and Innovative (random order here) within my first 4 groups and now that's impossible.

You didnt fall behind in adm tech?!

The following post explains it all:
So it looks like the cap is actually trunc(50% of idea groups) +1, not 50% of idea groups. Dear god I'm tired. The cap is just rounded up. i.e...

1 max at 1-2 total
2 max at 3-4 total
3 max at 5-6 total
4 max at 7-8 total

Which is a bit more manageable, and frankly, I can't think of a SP situation in which I'd want to break that -- or have broken it, IIRC. At least since Exploration and Expansion were both DIP and the first two picks for a couple starts.

That being said, what a bizarre design decision. Opportunity should be important enough of a resource to ward away from bunching up on idea groups from a single category; if it isn't, that's a problem with the balance of the categories.

How about lock this handicap to multiplayer?

The most fun thing to do in SP is stack MIL ideas as Prussia and start building a massive coalition against you.

Reactions:
Status
Not open for further replies.