• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Joemit

Major
11 Badges
Jan 16, 2014
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Magicka
  • Victoria 2
  • War of the Roses
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
Does the Liquor Prohibition decision actually do anything? I enacted it and all it appears to do is increase militancy and decrease tax efficiency, with no upsides. My people still use alcohol and the government gives out subsidies to factories that produce it.

bsicaly flavor.

there was no upsides to the great era of prohibition, all it did was make everything a hundred times worse

Role play! Every nation is not perfect, so it's sometimes fun to enact these detrimental decisions that can create some disorder.

Liquor Prohibition -> Conservative move --> Liquor prices fall.

bsicaly flavor.

there was no upsides to the great era of prohibition, all it did was make everything a hundred times worse

That's debatable. There was a marked decrease in alcoholism during the period. http://www.nber.org/papers/w3675

a 30-70% reduction is nothing to sneeze at if the goal was to stop alcoholism. I'm not saying I agree with prohibition, but it did partially achieve one of its main goals.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Role Playing.

That's debatable. There was a marked decrease in alcoholism during the period. http://www.nber.org/papers/w3675

a 30-70% reduction is nothing to sneeze at if the goal was to stop alcoholism. I'm not saying I agree with prohibition, but it did partially achieve one of its main goals.

im not entirely sure if making a law that was widely ignored, contributing to a decline in interest in following the law in general ontop of arming organized crime with something to do wcan be upsided by anything.

im not entirely sure if making a law that was widely ignored, contributing to a decline in interest in following the law in general ontop of arming organized crime with something to do wcan be upsided by anything.

Alcoholism was a huge social problem in the 19th century and the early part of the 20th century. While cloaked in a great deal of moralizing, there were good practical reasons for Prohibition. It just didn't work out as planned. (But then, not all things do.) A reduction in drinking did occur, but that upside was more than offset by the problems that Prohibition created.

• 1Like
Reactions: