• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Khan walks in, in his armour, looked around at the congressmen with a smile under his mask. He came alone as he ordered his squad to be on the third floor. He took his place beside Danijela and gave her a frigid look. He felt refreshed in the congress for once. No shouting or any debates. He had been in the congress before. A very long time ago, hidden away from the view of the Congressmen. He didn't like it that time, feeling it destroyed rational thought. Now he felt that the room deserved silence.

As the brutish security forces order everyone to leave, Edward and the other members of the Centre Party quietly exit and return to the second level of the Vault.

((Well, that was quick. :p))

Slackerposter.jpg

Name: Nick "Hatcher" O'Patrick
Political Party: Independent
Profession: None (Slacker)
Bio: Not much to know, he is an embarrassment to his father (a minor engineer) and known for his utter lack of desire to do anything.

The Coup: January 27th 2295

HyKshLs.jpg

The Second Squad.​

In the wake of Louis Scott Jr's election as Overseer problems plagued the vault. The Unions refused to bend and negotiations were taking longer then expected many were becoming increasingly frustrated as their patience wore thin. In congress new enemies began to emerge working to bring an end to the rule of the overseer. A congressmen named Michael Alexander from the Rabbi's old district brought a controversial bill before congress which was in response Louis forcing the Vault Security to give an oath of allegiance to him over the Vault. He brought the bill before congress as the squad leaders were giving their oaths just a door away. The Military Oversight Act was a popular one receiving support from politicians and prominent figures from both the right and left wing of the Congress and, so quickly it passed.

Louis seeing this bill sitting on his desk was dismayed should it pass it'd severely weaken his position as Overseer as the bill would leave him sharing control of the military with congress instead of being in direct control of it. Upon taking the council of his advisers and of the squad leaders he vetoed the bill sending it back to congress he felt sure that it wouldn't pass. However it did the Overseer failed to realize just how badly he had weakened himself in congress when he decided to pull out two of his supporters in order to have them fill up positions in the executive branch and as such when the Centre Party voted in favor of the bill it passed.

In the Overseer's Office a crisis meeting was held as Louis reviewed his options on how to react a congressmen from the Vault First Party proposed the idea of passing a bill which would essentially repeal the Military Oversight Act and seeking a non violent solution Louis agreed however when the bill was brought before congress however the support simply wasn't there. With his political options becoming exhausted the overseer began to listen more and more to his squad commanders who were increasingly in favor of a coup. At first the idea was resisted as the overseer worried (rightfully) that a coup could perhaps lead to widespread backlash however as things grew wilder in congress the decision was made to act.

On the 25th of January 2295 the first and fifth squads burst into the Congressional Chamber as Senators were debating a bill proposed by brothel owner Donald Swanson. With congressmen Nixon of the Vault First Party speaking as the squads entered he cut his speech short when the first shot rang out. Sergeant Novak walked up to Nixon nodding at her before announcing that this congress was hereby declared illegal and that they were ordered to disperse. The news was met by a hail of hissing and shouting from the politicians and a congressmen from the United Homesteaders party threw his shoe at the Sergeant as it made impact with her a shot rang out and the congressmen fell dead a pull of blood forming under him on the tile floor. The room fell silent as many shook their heads with disbelief. The security officers ushered the rest of the congressmen out of the room and shut the door behind them.

Meanwhile on the third floor of the Vault the news from the second floor had not spread yet. However Vault Security officers there had been issued the orders to be on the lookout for any anti Overseer protests and permission to use deadly force had been given. A squad under the commander Michael White was posted down there and several of the officers found themselves patrolling near Swanson Girls. Several union workers severely intoxicated found themselves leaving this proud establishment at the same time. The technicians were frustrated with the slowness of the negotiations and the guards were on high alert as a result of the coup. The mix proved fatal as all three technicians were shot on the spot.

The response from the third level was massive and immediate. An angry crowd chased the officers back to the rest of their squad and White realizing his current position was indefensible lead his squad into the storage warehouse where they barricaded themselves in. As the hours passed news of the coup broke as congressman Swanson returned from the second floor. Rallying his thugs he met with Sam Kelly second in command of the union. The two prepared for war. Kelly set about waging a war on the upper levels pulling the fire alarms he sealed shut the doors between the first second and third floors. In addition to this the decision also was made to cut power to the first and second floors as well as limit their water usage. Meanwhile Swanson set about crafting weapons for the mob. He issued them knives and opened his alcohol stores (for Molotov's) to the rebels. He also started the production of slingshots and the unions agreed to allow access to their nail guns. All told around 350 people joined the rebel forces on the third floor while the ten men of the second squad continued to barricade themselves into the storage area.

On the second floor the bulk of the Vault Security forces held their ground against protesters from the Centre Party and the United Homesteaders Party who had gathered outside the Congressional Chambers. they threw themselves against police lines trying to break through in order to storm the Overseers office however the police held firm and the occasional protester that did make it through was beaten down with police batons. However here the first police fatality happened. One guard was dragged out of the police line by several Homesteaders and beaten to death the rioters captured his service weapon and paraded his body through the east end of the second level.

Finally on the first level things remained relatively calm with William Shatner holding down the fort.

The next few days may decide the fate of the vault for years to come.

[First Floor-No Disturbances
Second Floor-150 Protesters vs. 29 Security Personnel, 80 counter protestors
Third Floor- 350 Protesters vs. 10 Security Personnel
Fatalities: 1 United Homesteader Congressmen, 1 Member of the 1st Squad, 3 Union Members

First Floor:Rabbi David Ibrahimovic, William Shatner
Second Floor: Overseer Louis Franklin Scott Jr.,Samuel Jackson, Doctor Kurt M. Arden, Cal Oldsson, Ross Armstrong, Edward Mycroft, Michael Alexander, Dragutin Brankovich, Khan, Danijela Novak
Third Floor: Steve C. Olbert, Donald Swanson, Sam Kelly, Vitone Ceranova, Michael White

The First and Second floors have 3 days worth of food remaining, fire protocols may be reversed using the vault mainframe located in the overseer's office, there are vents between floors, tear gas canisters are located in the armory]

Last edited:
Taking a bite of his apple, Hatcher looks out of his door to see soldiers marching and protesters protesting.

"Heh."

Closing the door to the violence, he turns off the light and goes to sleep.

Sam Kelly turned off the intercom and turned to the militia leader.

"They're dragging their feet on surrendering, if they start destroying the food stores we'll have to rush them, but if they come out peacefully treat them well, just lock up the 3 killers and disarm the others and send them to me. Maybe when the one upstairs see that their fellows are ok after laying down their arms they'll be more reasonable."

Wandering around the wounded and past the various protest and police lines on the 2nd floor, Hatcher posts up a couple posters.

Yo guys, you know what we need? A chill ass radio station.

I'd be liek like a dope ass DJ or somethin.

Look at this cool drawing I made

Chill_radio_logo.png

Chill Radio, for the chill dude.

Hit me up,

Hatcher​

20086-p0.jpg

Address to the Vault

Citizens of Vault 191,

The events of today can only be described as a tragedy, a great travesty, a blight on the proud history of our vault. In the chambers of our senate heated discussions broke out into open hostility and the commanders of our squads, served to protect the vault and by oath bound to loyalty, perceived a threat from such commotion. As such they took it into their hands and ordered it dissolved as a means of putting an end to the partisan politics that have plagued our vault for a long time. As a means of preventing the violence that we knew would erupt from such acts the vault security forces were ordered on high alert...to the greatest of sadness a human can bear...such orders were misinterpreted and members of the squad in the third level opened fire on some technicians, killing them. I have the deepest sorrow for such a loss, something that pains me, hurts me. Sadly, from this an explosion of rioting and anger has come about, whereupon the third level technicians and engineers, blinded by anger, pressed on the fire alarms sealing our level doors and then shutting down electricity to the first two levels. I can understand their anger, but gentlemen please, do not make all suffer for your anger...think of the women, the children, the old and the sickly!

However, it is plain to see now that our current political system is dead and that it cannot be salvaged. Therefore, I would ask that we look to the example of our ancient forefathers, the Romans, and emulate their great Republic which endured for over a century and saw them rise to the greatest of heights. Not only that, it is one of the most democratic systems that was ever devised with two consuls elected annually as joint heads of government and bearing veto rights over each other. Furthermore, the other positions of the era can easily be molded to this time: the praetor to act as a deputy to the Consuls and to organize administrative tasks, the two aediles to act as the men or women responsible for the engineers and technicians, the quaestor to handle the financial matters and also education, the censor to have a sort of oversight over senate and finally the magister militum to oversee our army. Then we can look to our two greatest bodies: the senate, to be compromised of thirty democratically elected members, and the popular assembly, to be made up of all vault citizens twenty-one and older and meeting once a year to decide any matter by simple majority. Can it not be seen this is the most democratic system we can achieve? We will have checks and balances, two great assemblies and a number of annually elected positions!

So I ask, no plead, no beg, let us not have a civil war, let us not fight and destroy each other. Let us stand together with this new government, this government to serve all the people of vault.

Government of Vault 191; henceforth "Nova Roma"

Princeps: Louis Franklin Scott Jr.
Secundus: Edward Mycroft

Consul: Khan
Consul: Kurt M. Arden

Praetor: Cal Oldsson

Aedile: Steve C. Olbert
Aedile: Sam Kelly

Quaestor: David Ibrahimovic

Censor: Vacant

Magister Militum: Samuel Jackson
-Commander of Legion I: Dragutin Brankovich
-Commander of Legion II: Michael White
-Commander of Legion III: William Shatner
-Commander of Legion IV: Khan
-Commander of Legion V: Danijela Novak

Senate: 30 individuals (10 elected from each level)[1]

Popular Assembly: Every Individual Age 21 and Over[2]

[1] Senators are elected by popular suffrage from the adult population of each level.
[2] Popular Assembly is convened once a year and can decide matters by a simple majority.

This blatant attack on the stability, tradition, and democratic integrity of this blessed Vault, perpetrated by Mister Scott and the forces designed to protect our citizenry, is abominable. To think that so many have fallen to the vices of greed and blind ambition is truly disheartening, most of all men uplifted by we citizens of the Vault with the explicit purposes to represent the people, men we are supposed to look for to guidance, not cower before. Tell me, Mister Scott, how do you believe that overturning public will, how does ordering the deaths of Vault citizens, and how does seizing power for your own desires, meant to be indicative of a proper Overseer and champion of the people?

There is no answer, for there is no excuse for such behavior. On behalf of the United Homesteaders and myself, I utterly condemn the actions of Louis Franklin Scott Jr. and his assorted lackeys, and resign from the position of Head Doctor. Though I believe in serving this Vault, Mister Scott does not, and I feel my participation in his cabal would serve to only provide legitimacy to an illegitimate organization. I can better serve the Vault by joining her people in protest of Mister Scott and by aiding those who have been battered or beaten with medical attention.

And to those that do not follow my path, and remain chained to Mister Scott, I ask you: can you truly look yourself in the eye and justify your actions? There is no shame in admitting fault in your choices, and I welcome any man or woman who has the courage to leave Mister Scott's grasp and work towards the common good, not against it. To the guards and their officers, I beg you, desist from turning your arms against the people, and instead assist us in returning just peace. Violence is a terrible thing, and it must end, but that can only happen once the Vault no longer fears tyrants.

The situation was hopelessly futile, the upper levels would starve while the 3rd level could open the vault and leave with all the food. What was the point of a final last stand for a self proclaimed Emperor? It would be obviously difficult for relief to come to him and if it ever did he would be overrun with simple pistols and batons against swarming masses.

"Johnson take your handkerchief and put it on your baton, and put it out the window our situation is untenable. I suggest the rest of you disarm yourselves to avoid any further murder today."

In a speech given to a group of citizens:

Citizens, though what the Overseer is indeed admirable, his proposal does not fix key issues. As I see them, they are as follows:

1) Said proposal fails to give any rights or protections to citizens of the vault, such as the freedom of speech, or peacefully protest the government.

2) Said proposal gives positions of power to the very people who overthrew our current government, such as Samuel L Jackson, Head of Security of our vault, who does shoulder much blame for this coup d'état, as it was his military that overthrew the government.

3) Said proposal does not give a civilian government direct control, or at least oversight, in regards to the military.

Because of this, I cannot support the government that the Overseer has proposed. In addition, any new government formed must also recognize the Military Oversight Act as law.

~Michael Alexander, of the United Homesteaders Party

Orders: "Enough is enough!" Samuel Jackson yelled at his men as they held the police line at the Security Guard HQ and Armory, "I’ve had it with these mother-loving protesters in this monkey-frying vault! I will not have another officer killed under my command! Open up the armory! I want tear gas used on those protesters, NOW, and I want tear gas sent through the ventilation shafts into the third level! The Princeps wants no more bloodshed. If these protesters refuse to disperse peacefully, then beat them into submission. If they resist, shoot them in the leg and move on. Arm our civilian auxiliaries as well. Combat armor, batons, and side arms. As the Magister Militum, I'm hereby drafting these men and women into our ranks as additional officers, to be dispersed amongst our current squads equally. Now get these protesters out of my sight!"

With the surrender of the only security squad on level 3 the most immediate crisis was over, the 3 men guilty of the shootings were locked in an empty storeroom to await trial and the other 7, along with 150 militia were sent up to level 2(through 1 stairwell opened on the east end) hopefully seeing that they were hopelessly outnumbered, and that their comrades were being treated fairly, would persuade the rest of security to lay down their arms and end the attempted coup.

Along with Samuel Jackson, I have been tasked to deal with these problems. We pump tear gas down on the 3rd floor. We arm our civilians and we override the technicans decisions. We will also end the fire alarm and open the MAIN DOOR.

The dictator in charge of the Vault is in no way telling the truth about the events.

The legally elected Congress was doing what it was supposed to do. It was creating legislation that would benefit the people of the Vault.

Some of this legislation would prevent the Overseer from having absolute and complete authority. One such proposal was that the oath that the Overseer had recently demanded from the Security forces were made void, and that the Security Forces were loyal to the people of the vault and Congress. The Overseer attempted to veto this, but even with a veto, many saw the threat that an Overseer with total control and no accountability would be.

The second proposal that was brought up, discussed in Congress when the atrocities began, was to institute true democracy in the Vault. Before this Congress was elected, but the Overseer was a position for life, even though his political support disappeared. If this proposal had been accepted, then every 5 years, when Congress was elected, a new Overseer would also be found, unless of course the same was chosen. By doing this, corruption of power would be negated, as an Overseer would have one term, and only would be elected for more terms if he had done admirably.

Therefore, citizen of the vault, we are today standing together in order to stop those who try to murder the democratic values. For those who have studied history you may know that their Republic was not democratic. It was the same few families who continually remained in control, until one of them decided that he wanted all power for himself. Right now we have a situation where a man desires the same. But we cannot allow the to happen, and in this dark time we must stand united against tyranny and fight for democracy!

In the interest of preserving peace and stability within the Vault, I shall accept the position of Secundus. Long live Vault 191!

~ Edward Mycroft, Leader of the Centre party and Secundus of the Vault

The current Overseer of this Vault is not a mad man, he is not insane, he is not being influenced by others. He is far worse than any of the above. He is greedy, he is prideful and arrogant, he is ambitious. He believes that violence will solve all of his problems, and he believes that his own problems are more important than the problems of 1,500 citizens of this Vault. He should be dragged outside and left as a gift for whatever devil comes first to torture and kill him. Those that support him should be whipped, especially my former compatriot, Danijela Novak. I can personally vouch for Novak as a complete and utter traitor and failure to her chosen profession, to her chosen beliefs, to her very family. If they are not ashamed, then they should feel guilt for not being ashamed. If they do not feel guilt, then they should feel shame. Every other conspirator in this narrow-minded, belligerent, and evil plot to overthrow the voice of the people is nothing more than a glutton or sadist who has finally gotten their chance to rule. Allowing a dictatorship to negotiate from a position of military strength has, historically, not completely destroyed a society. It destroyed the planet, wiping Human kind back into the caves and pits that it scrounged out in a panic. Do you want the same arrogant, heavy-handed rule that ended our planet to infect this Vault, and to annihilate our values? Or do you want to crush this rebellion, as any true populace would?

~ Congressman Ross Armstrong, of the Isolationist Party

Ross Armstrong will encourage the civilians of the vault to surround and beat down any soldiers that dare to suppress their rights. A lack of freedom suffocates the world. He will fight side-by-side with the people, and crush the militant rebels.

After navigating his way through the mass of soldiers and protestors on the second floor of the Vault, Edward Mycroft arrives at the Princeps' office.

"Sir, this protest is about to spill over into a full revolution if we do not act. We must show the protestors that we are not to be disobeyed. I would humbly suggest ordering the guards on this floor to push the protestors back."