• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

TheKiwi

Second Lieutenant
16 Badges
Mar 15, 2010
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Semper Fi
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
I started playing as Japan for the first time. Managed to unite the country - even got Taiwan colonised and about to start on the Philippines when some "Smelly Bad Mannered" westerners turn up and my provinces start to turn Christian. Nothing I can do can get me to a positive %age for missionary conversion - not appointing an inquisitor, not constructing fortifications, not passing laws.

Is this WAD? Is there an event(s) coming up that will change things? Or do I have to westernise first? Or surrender and convert religions?

At some point a decision "Sakoku Law" will become available that removes the -% conversion strength malus. The bonus is it works now rather than just eating monarch points.

At some point a decision "Sakoku Law" will become available that removes the -% conversion strength malus. The bonus is it works now rather than just eating monarch points.

Cool, that's all I need to know to carry on. Is it more advantageous to convert or will following the true path of Shintoism be better?

Cool, that's all I need to know to carry on. Is it more advantageous to convert or will following the true path of Shintoism be better?

You won't get any cardinals in Asia, so it's hard to justify giving up Shinto's morale bonus and the ability to Deus Vult on whomever you damn well please for Catholicism's rather lackluster innate bonuses. Perhaps if you really, really want a royal marriage with some European power.

You won't get any cardinals in Asia, so it's hard to justify giving up Shinto's morale bonus and the ability to Deus Vult on whomever you damn well please for Catholicism's rather lackluster innate bonuses. Perhaps if you really, really want a royal marriage with some European power.

Once he's Catholic he'll be able to switch to Reformed, which is the gravy train of religious groups.

Also PUs with europeans + becoming the HRE.

I started playing as Japan for the first time. Managed to unite the country - even got Taiwan colonised and about to start on the Philippines when some "Smelly Bad Mannered" westerners turn up and my provinces start to turn Christian. Nothing I can do can get me to a positive %age for missionary conversion - not appointing an inquisitor, not constructing fortifications, not passing laws.

Is this WAD? Is there an event(s) coming up that will change things? Or do I have to westernise first? Or surrender and convert religions?
Go either full Catholic or full Shinto. To do this you want to pick the relative decisions including ones that help you convert provinces. Do not try to be tolerant. I tried it and it didn't work!!!! Seriously, the rebels, they hurt.

Go either full Catholic or full Shinto. To do this you want to pick the relative decisions including ones that help you convert provinces. Do not try to be tolerant. I tried it and it didn't work!!!! Seriously, the rebels, they hurt.

Being tolerant only works if you stack it to a reliable +3 to avoid the -religious unity and the like., which isn't feasible for every tag. However, it'll never be as stable as true faith provinces.

Being tolerant only works if you stack it to a reliable +3 to avoid the -religious unity and the like., which isn't feasible for every tag. However, it'll never be as stable as true faith provinces.

Becoming tolerant is something you have to go well out of your way for, if you stay as Shinto. It's a lot easier as Catholic, although by that point, it's generally not very worthwhile.

The decision should pop up right away once you make contact, or at least appear in the decisions list.

Code:
	# Sakoku
	enforce_sakoku_law = {
		potential = {
			tag = JAP
			NOT = { has_country_modifier = sakoku_law }
			NOT = { has_country_flag = sakoku_law }
			has_country_modifier = "western_trade"
		}
		allow = {
			stability = 2
			num_of_cities = 15
			OR = {
				legitimacy = 75
				republican_tradition = 75
			}
			adm_power = 200
			mil_power = 200
			dip_power = 200
		}

If you chose to stay Shinto, your decisions for missionary strength can end up giving you some -7 to -9 total tolerance of heathens, and negative tolerance seems to give 125% it's value in revolt risk, so new conquests can give leave you with some 25% revolt risk in each new province. Humanism can of course help a lot, especialy if you don't want to raise autonomy, but can easily make do without it, at least if you stay within the first 100% of overextension.

The decision should pop up right away once you make contact, or at least appear in the decisions list.

If you chose to stay Shinto, your decisions for missionary strength can end up giving you some -7 to -9 total tolerance of heathens, and negative tolerance seems to give 125% it's value in revolt risk, so new conquests can give leave you with some 25% revolt risk in each new province. Humanism can of course help a lot, especialy if you don't want to raise autonomy, but can easily make do without it, at least if you stay within the first 100% of overextension.

Yep I did end up getting that once I got my M Points to a sufficient level. And it sorted things more of less too - although I was playing "whack a mole" against outbreaks of Catholicism for a while...

The problem is that you get all this catholic jazz and stuff but game never notices you that you need to enforce sakoku law to stop catholics. People come to forums confused, and i remember i was confused too and had to go to forums to find threads which were discussing this matter.. There should be alert or something that shows what to do.. I didnt even notice that decision until i went to forums..

If you want to switch to Catholic, never Enforce Sakoku Law. You will continue to get events that switch your provinces to Catholic and these effect all your provinces, not just the Japanese and Shinto ones. Furthermore, you will get a periodic event that gives you -15% military tech cost for the rest of your ruler's life.

A Westernized Catholic Japan without Sakoku is kind of incredible.

Did anyone ever had a colonial nation when this event started? Because i had the weird bug, that i could enact the decision but my colonial nation instead of me would get the modifier. So i was forced to convert to catholicism as the -5% was just too much. (i actually quit because of that...)

In purely strategic terms, it's almost always better to convert to Catholicism.

Related question: if you enforce sakoku law and get fumi-e events as a result, how do you deal with them on islands?
The size of each revolt is about 70% of my total forcelimit.

Should I just hand all the conquered provinces back to portugal?
...or feed the catholic islands to non-shinto vassals before the event occurs?

Last edited: