• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
In fairness, Coptic is a unique starting religion, like Animalist or Shamanist, not something you convert to. Also, while I'm not sure if it's spread in 1.8, but I'm certain that it's only available to 1 or 2 countries at game start.

Those aren't, unique lol.

Let there be one Christian faith where you can just be it and forget it. IMO it's fine, solid bonuses you always have and no prompts.

Eh. Long term, the monarch points are far far more valuable than the money. I only go reformed if i'm playing a merchant republic or the Netherlands, and mostly for flavor.

Reformed is also great for the enormous 15% morale bonus you can use at wartime, and the -2 Unrest and +1 Diplomatic Reputation you can use for annexation and pacifying recently conquered provinces. Catholic also got an overall nerf, you can no longer monopolize the curia like you could in previous versions of EU4.

Repose to TheDecider:

I'm more or less throwing ideas around here, so don't question how some things may work, since it's pretty crude right now. But looking up Prot had the section about the Five solae, so I was thinking it could revolve around them. At first I was thinking they could work like factions, but looking over it, they look like they all "co-exist" so having certain ones be higher than the others may not work. So another idea is perhaps they might work as a sort of hybrid between the Tribe idea system, and the new Cardinal system, so ideally what this would mean is each of the solae have certain boons in them, each of which needing a different thing to unlock them for your nation. Now admittedly I know very little about Prot, so these Five solae may not be as central as I believe they are.
The Five Solae as a concept aren't really a big thing to Protestant identity (and many apply equally to Reformed); the term didn't even come into being until the 20th century. While many of the concepts were important, it's hardly accurate to portray them as a unified entity.

I suspect the best approach would be to just buff the base bonuses. So Catholicism gets to request occasional boons from the Pope, Reformed gets the flexibility of unique policies with Fervor, and Protestant gets strong all-around bonuses without the added flexibility of the other 2.

Protestantism has the best baseline bonuses in the game among religions. I don't mind adding some flavor mechanics to make it more interesting, but it's certainly powerful enough as is.

Maybe something about the different forms of organisation of protestant churches: Episcopal (Anglican for example), Presbyterian (Lutherans) and Congregationalists (Baptists, Mennonites).