• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(136365)

Second Lieutenant
7 Badges
Mar 2, 2009
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Pillars of Eternity
Started with Saxony in CM DLC. Managed to survive and drop the Karling claim on Saxony. Around 870 AD the whole Spain and Aquitaine is under muslim rule, a succesful jihad conquered a big part of Anatolia, few years later (890 AD) the Crusade event fired.
Imagine: what was the first Crusade called by the Pope? Spain? Aquitaine? Anatolia? No! Crusade for Saxony! Game over (I did not convert to catholic).

How does AI choose the Crusade 's target? Is it always by definition the player when he's not Christian?

first there shouldnt be any crusades in 890 nor all the holy orders, in one of my game I even had 3 crusades before the 900`s

this is a BIG SLAP IN THE FACE BY PARADOX, add this to the fact that adventurers still get the same amount of godly troops as in Later start date, for your small kingdom of only 3k..... and you get a happy mix

this is in no way defendable paradox , dont you have testers? SOME PEOPLE WOULD GLADLY HELP YOU TEST OUT THOSE OBVIOUS BUGS BEFORE YOU RELEASE A MAJOR DLC, AND FOR FREE....

first there shouldnt be any crusades in 890 nor all the holy orders, in one of my game I even had 3 crusades before the 900`s

this is a BIG SLAP IN THE FACE BY PARADOX, add this to the fact that adventurers still get the same amount of godly troops as in Later start date, for your small kingdom of only 3k..... and you get a happy mix

this is in no way defendable paradox , dont you have testers? SOME PEOPLE WOULD GLADLY HELP YOU TEST OUT THOSE OBVIOUS BUGS BEFORE YOU RELEASE A MAJOR DLC, AND FOR FREE....
NICE TO KNOW SIR! But please take off YOUR HAND FROM THE CAPS LOCK KEY, please.

Early crusades are not a bug, they are simply triggered early if they're needed early, because the game can evolve in a way different from history (duh). Without early crusades, Umayyads would dominate Western Europe.
Although I agree that most of the holy orders firing at once is kind of excessive.

Does Braunschweig still trigger crusades? Because it it does, then that is an oversight and should be fixed.

Early crusades are not a bug, they are simply triggered early if they're needed early, because the game can evolve in a way different from history (duh). Without early crusades, Umayyads would dominate Western Europe.
Although I agree that most of the holy orders firing at once is kind of excessive.

Do you even know why the pope launched the first crusades? or do you think it was just the pope declaring that any christian can invade this or that region? NAH

the first crusades was launched on 27 November 1095 by Pope Urban II with the primary goal of responding to an appeal from Byzantine Emperor Alexios I Komnenos, who requested that western volunteers come to his aid and help to repel the invading Seljuq Turks from Anatolia......

I dont mind alternative history as long as it makes sense..... the only problem is that 3 crusades have been launched already and its not even 900, about 200 years before the first real crusades took place....

anyway what threat was saxony to the christian world ?

Do you even know why the pope launched the first crusades? or do you think it was just the pope declaring that any christian can invade this or that region? NAH

the first crusades was launched on 27 November 1095 by Pope Urban II with the primary goal of responding to an appeal from Byzantine Emperor Alexios I Komnenos, who requested that western volunteers come to his aid and help to repel the invading Seljuq Turks from Anatolia......

I dont mind alternative history as long as it makes sense..... the only problem is that 3 crusades have been launched already and its not even 900, about 200 years before the first real crusades took place....

anyway what threat was saxony to the christian world ?

*Shrug*
It still isn't a bug. The history of Earth 0 has no bearing upon my Earth 9,456,8745 game session.

If they railroaded a firm guideline on requirements for things like this, I would find the game generally far less interesting and certainly less replayable.

*Shrug*
It still isn't a bug. The history of Earth 0 has no bearing upon my Earth 9,456,8745 game session.

If they railroaded a firm guideline on requirements for things like this, I would find the game generally far less interesting and certainly less replayable.

I dont mind having an early crusades calling in, as long as its 1 crusade only, having 3 crusades being called off in almost less then 100 years is not only silly but also unrealistic, catholic werent even that powerful in that era anyway, not only that but the crusades were gigantic adventures for crusaders, costing tons of gold and requiring large manpower ressources, infact most of em never saw the west again, right now I have a caracter who have seen 3 crusades in his life and its still in the viking era.....

maybe you do enjoy it but I dont.... nor do I like adventurers being unbeatable in early games or having to spend tons of gold on a nerfed merc pool who cant even beat the first adventurer in game

Last edited:
Well with the beta patch, you could survive it, because they would all die to attrition. A lot of people pointed out that this would happen if they didn't change the crusade/HO mechanics, but i guess the 1 guy beta testing didn't think it was a big deal.

I am surprised it took to 870, the crusades kicked off in my game in 780 and understandably so because Rome fell to the pagan Saxons and if anything would make Christianity collectively lose it shit and go crusading would be the fall of Rome to pagans or Muslims, that would set off the Byzathine empire's berserk button.

Crusades yes, holy orders no.
Heard of Jihads? Those happened more than a 100 years before CM start

Having a pagan Saxony triggering crusades is very stupid. People should be able to play as it without automatic crusades.
I've never actually got far enough for Saxony to trigger...
Muslims always go crazy in my games and Holy war Anatolia, triggering the crusades. (And then there's a crusade for Jerusalem, that obviously fails)