• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
A Pamphlet that is seen and read across the City of Genoa

THE STATE OF AFFAIRS III;

addressed to the

PEOPLE OF SARDINIA

regarding the following important

NOTICES

I. The ABUSE of CIVIL AUTHORITY

II. Of the REPRESSION of the FREEDOM OF EXISTANCE

III. Of the DIKTAT of a FOREIGNER in the name of the KING

"To live is to speak, to speak is to think and to think is to live. The actions of Baron dom Contravarius y d'Alatriste-Enghien, of disputable birth, is a CRIME in the eyes of GOD and KING. That a foreigner, in the clutches of a HUNGARIAN HERETIC, seeks to enforce the ideals of CROMWELL in this kingdom. A CLIQUE of CALVINISM is spawning in Turin, seeking to overthrow the word of GOD and KING. All true men and women will realise this danger, of another GANG OF ROUNDHEADS who dazzle the king with flattery and song. No man shall be crushed under the weight of a HERETIC, for we go with GOD."

Maestro Giuseppe di Antico

Printed in Genoa

Sold and Distributed by the Confraternita di genovesi Artigiani

MDCCCXXXIX

((Apparently I am now religious, also kek))

((You better run, Dadarian :)))

((Privy Council - Private))

My dear friends,

I had the honor of dining with His Majesty the King - and must say that while lamb chops were not that superb, but the ricotta is excellent. Our Sovereign has entrusted me once again to temporary chair this meeting. I believe that we should open votes on several pending issues, which has been discussed and proposed by Privy Councillors.

1) Our King wishes to know, whether we would advise him to veto the Act to Recognize and Legitimate Parties. I want to especially note, my lords, that political parties currently exist and function quite normally , but currently they exist at the pleasure of the Crown.

((Vote on Veto: Yes/No/Abstain)

2) We should recommend one of the candidates to take a place in the Senate.

(Vote on Senate: Amadeus Cornelius Salvatore Severin dom Contravarius-Parma y d'Alatriste-Enghien, Baron of Rubicon/ Not Appoint Anybody/Abstain)

3) Should we advise His Majesty the King to grant a Duchy to a certain nobleman within the Realm?

(Vote on Duchy: Your Candidate/Not Grant to Anybody/Abstain)

4) We should elect the new Lord President of the Privy Council.

(Vote on the Lord President of the Privy Council: Vincenzo Roberto Pes/Conte Bonaretti di Nizza/Antonio Maria Enrico di Susa/Abstain)

I must say that I am very pleased with the fact that the gracious Count of Nice nominated me for Senate, but I believe that currently my public duties will not let me execute the office as diligently as would have wanted to, so I humbly refuse the nomination. Maybe it would be possible in the future.

God save the King.

- Vincenzo Roberto Pes, Marquis di Villamarina, Prime Minister of Piedmont-Sardinia

((The vote ends in two days time))

Last edited:
((Privy Council - Private))

1) Vote to veto the Act to Recognize and Legitimate Parties: Yes

2) Vote on Senate: Amadeus Cornelius Salvatore Severin dom Contravarius-Parma y d'Alatriste-Enghien, Barone of Rubicon

3) The Prime Minister of Sardinia-Piemonte, Marquis di Villamarina, has already done a great deal for the Evergreen Savoy, it would onyl be fair to recognize his services to the King and Country with a ducal title.
Vote on Duchy: Vincenzo Roberto Pes, Marquis di Villamarina

4) I have said it before and will say it again: Marquis di Villamarina is the only right man for the job right now.
Vote on the Lord President of the Privy Council: Vincenzo Roberto Pes, Marquis di Villamarina

- Amadeus Cornelius Salvatore Severin dom Contravarius-Parma y d'Alatriste-Enghien,
Barone of Rubicon and the Minister of the Interior

((Okay...

So an old issue has been coming up more and more frequently lately. People have been having discussions outside the thread and want to know if the conversations they have can be used in-thread and IC. These range from relatively innocuous conversations to hardball politics and threats. I tried to come up with a good test for whether a statement outside the thread can be used IC but failed, so, with great reluctance, I'm going to implement one simple rule:

You can only use a statement from outside the thread, or the implications of such a statement, IC with my explicit permission to do so.

I'm going have to arbitrate on a case by case basis. Please also bring applicable logs if the statement was made on IRC or forward me the message if was by PM. I'll be most inclined to allow the statement's use if it discusses direct action in-thread: ie: "I'm definitely going to sack so and so," or, "I'll give you a position in my company if you do such and such."

Also note that:

Threats made with OOC consequences are definitely, definitely against the rules of this thread, even if they are made outside the thread.))

It is undeniable that Maestro di Antico has acted in direct and open opposition to the laws of this Kingdom, which outlaw all publications not approved by the state. Laws should be enforced equally and without prejudice, even if they are as manifestly unjust as the ban on non-state publications.

It is in the spirit of equality under the law that I call upon the Interior Ministry to issue a warrant for the arrest of the Count of Nice, Lord Bonaretti, for his well-known sponsorship of non-state publications, in direct violation of the laws of this Kingdom.

- Giovanni Ferrero

Last edited:
I must also announce that, since there is now a vacant office within the Cabinet, certain changes would take place. Agostino Epifano Gonzaga, Marquis of Monferrato, would become our new Minister of Foreign Affairs. Count Luigi Maria of Arborea would take the office of the Minister of Education.

I wish the both of honorable gentleman to prove themselves in their new positions. Long live the King.

- Vincenzo Roberto Pes, Marquis di Villamarina, Prime Minister of Sardinia-Piedmont

((From a state-approved newspaper... and with my further apologies to Maxwell))

Privy Council Leaks!

Turin has been rocked by scandal this week as multiple leaks sprung from the His Majesty's Privy Council, painting a portrait of internal turmoil caused by the departure of the disgraced ex-Lord President Francesco Ludovico Sforza, Count of Trecate and Galliate. The first of two major breaches in the council's secrecy revealed that the Count declared his intention to resign his membership of the ruling party and join I Praetorani, the liberal opposition, whose questionable role in the Genoese riots and other liberal agitation startled the nation. Count Sforza officially tendered his resignation as the Lord President of the Council yesterday.

A second major leak from the council emerged early this morning, with several illegal pamphlets and papers quoting His Lordship the Marquess of Montezemolo as demonstrating a crass disregard for the lives of the peasant classes. These statements, which will certainly undermine the Marquess' reputation as a moderate... (CONTINUED ON PAGE 3)

Illegal Pamphleteer Arrested!

Giuseppe di Antico, well-known illegal pamphleteer, subversive labor organizer, and general malcontent was arrested yesterday after the Interior Ministry issued a warrant for his arrest. Di Antico's hysterical and often scandalous accusations have long been a scourge of honorable and legal publications... (CONTINUED ON PAGE 6)

((Noco and Marshall's attempts to leak secrets have succeeded and Dadarian's character has been arrested for a breach of press laws.

My reasoning here is that Sforza is out of favor now so the government-approved papers can say what they like about him, and Cordero, the Marquess of Montezemolo, is also regarded with sufficient suspicion on the Privy Council that the government-approved papers can impeach him a little.))

wL5ONi8.png

VOTES IN THE PRIVY COUNCIL
Privy Council - Private

1. Vote to veto the Act to Recognise and Legitimate Parties: Abstain

2. Vote on the Senate: Amadeus Cornelius Salvatore Severin dom Contravarius-Parma y d'Alatriste-Enghien, Baron of Rubicon

The diligence of the good baron has brought about considerable improvements to the state administration and has brought about greater unity amongst the aristocracy; it seems fitting that such a nobleman should be made a senator in recognition of his services to the Crown.​

3. Vote on the Conferral of the Ducal Title: Not Granted to Anyone

I must express my objection to the bestowal of the ducal title on the Marquess of Villamarina. There is no doubt that the marquess is an honourable man, and I have not hesitated to give credit to the statesman. The Family Pes, however, already holds positions of high esteem within the government [Prime Minister] and the Army [Chief of the General Staff], and may soon count Lord President of the Privy Council amongst the litany of household titles. It would, in my view, be unseemly for a member of the House of Pes, even as esteemed a nobleman as the Marquess Villamarina, tobe elevated to the ducal dignity. Indeed, if such an elevation were to be the case, it would prove the source of considerable resentment amongst the nobility.​

4. Vote on the Lord President of the Privy Council: Count Bonaretti di Nizza

The Count Bonaretti de Nizza, even prior to putting himself forward for the position of Lord President, has taken an active role in directing the activities of the Privy Council. His efforts to organise and expedite the processes of the Council have not passed without notice, and the opportunity for the good count to official preside over matters should not be deprived him.

It would be unjust on the part of the nobility to burden the sitting Prime Minister with the additional task of overseeing the affairs of the Privy Council. It would impose additional duties on an already very busy statesman, and would simultaneously deprive another nobleman of the opportunity to serve the King. That being said, a good relationship between the Prime Minister and the Lord President of the Privy Council is essential for the smooth functioning of Government and, although I have every reason to believe that relations between the Honourable Marquess Villamarina and the Count Nizza are cordial, I invite the Prime Minister to clarify whether this is indeed the case.​

MONTEZEMOLO

A Pamphlet that is seen and read across the City of Genoa

A DECLARATION OF THE CGA I;

addressed to the

MEMBERS OF THE CGA

regarding the following important

NOTICES

I. The ARREST of MAESTRO DI ANTICO

II. Of the temporary TRANSFER of AUTHORITY

III. Of offer to MAESTRO FERRERO

"ARRESTED by a terrified government, I TRANSFER the authority of the Confraternita di genovesi Artigiani to MAESTRO FERRERO, to caretake and expanded it to it best interests until my release. The FREEDOM OF SPEECH shall not be repressed!"

Maestro Giuseppe di Antico

Printed in Genoa

Sold and Distributed by the Confraternita di genovesi Artigiani

MDCCCXXXIX

((This is a decision for the government, to be made by the Prime Minister))

Dealing with Subversion

"Before the Statuto Albertino, crimes against the state and the crown often took the vagues form of 'subversion' or 'treason' and were tried by special courts answerable directly to the King. Offenders were sentenced to indefinite detention 'at his majesty's pleasure.' Statutory reform over the last hundred years or so created new crimes and less politically motivated courts, but the old crimes of subversion and treason could still be pressed, and their perpetrators sentenced to arbitrary and unlimited jail terms. On the other hand, the Statuto gives the government substantial power to reform the justice system by decree - we could codify these crimes, making them less nebulous and subject to the dictates of the normal courts, rather than accusations pressed by His Majesty. What should we do with these subverters and traitors?"

Option A: Detain them at His Majesty's pleasure - The Privy Council and not the government will have the power to issue arrest warrants for crimes of subversion (press violations, etc.). Issuing such a warrant will cost a use of the King's prerogative, but the arrested character will be detained indefinitely.

Option B: Leave this matter to the courts - The government and not the privy council will issue arrest warrants for crimes of subversion (press violations, etc.). The arrested character's sentence will be determined by the courts.

Option C: DETAIN them? Fetch the executioner! - The Privy Council and not the government will have the power to issue arrest warrants for crimes of subversion (press violations, etc.). Issuing such a warrant will cost a use of the King's prerogative. The arrested character will be executed. This may drive up in-game CON or MIL if disproportionate.

Bonuses and Penalties
Bonus/Penalty NameEffect Bonus/Penalty DurationPlayer(s)
In Prison-50% PPUntil it is rescinded by a higher authority
In Exile-50% PPSelf-imposed exile can be ended at any time
Lord of the Rifle+50% PPFor life (unless revoked)
Trading in Cloth+25% PPIndefiniteAll Members of IPMC
Senator+25% PPFor life (unless revoked), or until retirement
Glorious Arms+50% PPUntil RescindedRevan529

Dynastic Bonuses
Bonus NameDynastyBonus EffectBonus DurationSpecialPlayer(s)
Tradizionalisti LegacyThe Soleminis Dynasty+30% PPIndefiniteThe eldest member of this dynasty serves on the King's Privy Council regardless of class.
Colonial LegacyThe Vitali Dynasty+5% PPIndefiniteFuture militarists from this dynasty will automatically have "Soldierly" and "Colonial Background"
added to their trait pools as extra possible traits.
Industrial LegacyThe Cavalieri Dynasty+10% PPIndefiniteWhen industrialists of the Cavalieri Dynasty die, their assets (property and money) are held in trust.
The next industrialist of the dynasty may choose to start with the trust as his assets instead of the
usual 5k sum.
Otto of England
Prime Ministerial LegacyThe Bonaretti Dynasty+25% PPIndefiniteThe eldest member of the Bonaretti dynasty sits on the privy council even if he is not a member of the Aristocrat class.AndreMassena
Opera LegacyThe Gabriele Dynasty+10% PPIndefiniteThe eldest politician-class character of this dynasty gets a +12% politician bonus instead of the usual politician bonus.
Reformer's LegacyThe Uleri Dynasty+10% PPIndefiniteThe eldest politician-class character of this dynasty gets a +12% politician bonus instead of the usual politician bonus.DensleyBlair
Judicial LegacyThe Pedrotti Dynasty+5% PPIndefiniteWhen a member of this dynasty is in a judicial role, chances to catch PC-criminals is sometimes randomly increased.
Sardinian LegacyThe Vaccarello Dynasty+5% PPIndefinite If the party members of this dynasty voted for take no seats, the dynast still gets a seat in Sardinia.
Expatriot LegacyThe Di Susa Dynasty+5% PPIndefiniteMembers of this dynasty only have a -25% PP penalty for being in exile rather than a -50% penalty.LatinKaiser
Cignetti LegacyThe Cignetti Dynasty+5% PPIndefiniteN/A
Sforza LegacyThe Sforza Dynasty+10% PPIndefiniteN/AAb
Revanchist LegacyThe D'Ambrosio Dynasty+5% PPIndefiniteMembers of this dynasty have a lower chance of dying in duels.
Roman LegacyThe Balbo Dynasty+10% PPIndefiniteThis dynastic bonus increases to 15% if a member of the dynasty is a colonial governor.
Traitorous LegacyThe Leone Dynasty-10% PPIndefiniteWhen industrialists of the Leone Dynasty die, their assets (property and money) are held in trust. The next industrialist of the dynasty may choose to start with the trust as his assets instead of the usual 5k sum. (This is retroactive to his last industrialist character.)
Martial LegacyThe Alighieri Dynasty+10%IndefiniteMilitarists of this dynasty start with +1 grade instead of the normal +0.TJDS
Revolutionary LegacyThe Mopurgo Dynasty+5%IndefiniteAgitation done by members of this dynasty is more effective.
The Most Promising of His Lackeys (also Madman's Legacy)The Contravarius Dynasty+10%IndefiniteAristocrat members of this dynasty have ancestral lands in two provinces and the right to wear strangely ominous paper hats in the Privy Council. A black bar is added to their crest.
Societa LegacyThe Moretti Dynasty+5%IndefiniteWhen industrialists of the Moretti Dynasty die, their assets (property and money) are held in trust. The next industrialist of the dynasty may choose to start with the trust as his assets instead of the usual 5k sum. (This is retroactive to his last industrialist character.) They also get a free boat.

Last edited:
((Handing out a penalty [malus] by popular demand...))

Some very controversial statements made by His Lordship Massimo Pio Giuseppe Cordero, the Marquess of Montezemolo, have recently come to light in the papers. An unkind reader would certainly think that the Marquess has little regard for the lives of the peasant classes. Such thinking might be applauded in some circles, but the public at large are certainly unlikely to think highly of this reasoning, and the Marquess may find his reputation as a moderate on the King's Privy Council in significant peril.

Penalty Name: Minor Scandal
Penalty Amount: -25%
Penalty Duration: Until after the next general election ((if this part is empty or isn't here, assume the bonus or malus is indefinite))

((Massimo Pio Giuseppe Cordero [m.equitum] has incurred a -25% penalty, titled Minor Scandal. Note that this is not a formal charge, and is limited in duration. It does not affect special or organizational voting, like voting by party or on the privy council.))

((Public - Anonymous))

An anonymous pamphlet distributed at select locations in Annecy and Chambery

Men of character! Men of valor! Men of labor!

As we have so recently seen, we are vulnerable! Our fellow worker and patriot, Maestro di Antico, has been arrested for merely speaking his mind! Can you guarantee that you will not be next, if you seek to do the same on issues of national importance? Can your family guarantee that it will be provided for when you are hauled away on spurious charges based solely in pique and personal spite?

All can see how the aristocrats fear and despise our nation's industrial growth, even as it brings new life to our trade and commerce! They tremble when they contemplate the possibility that ordinary men, raised outside gilded halls and marble palaces, might rise up to become men of wealth and power! The same men who might even, perhaps, shake their unchallenged hold on the instruments of state!

As the aristocrats attempt in vain to consolidate their decaying rigor-mortis grip on our vibrant and growing nation and the militarists plot wars of foreign aggression fueled by the taxes and lifeblood of workers and peasants, we must band together to form societies for mutual support and benefit! The Maestro di Antico, our friend and neighbor, has done what he can for the men of Genoa; now we must do the same for the men of Savoy!

Join the Associazione di Savoiardi Operai, a fraternal organization dedicated to the benefit of all laborers, craftsmen, and tradesmen in Savoy! We have already begun organizing at the Il Sardo cement works! With your support and the support of our brethren in other parts of the nation, we shall continually work toward the shared prosperity of all of the laboring class in Savoy and beyond! Meetings are open to all hard-working workers and tradesmen who wish to speak their minds!

((OOC: I'm organizing the Association of Savoyard Workers at the cement factory in Savoy.))

((Public))

I accept Maestro di Antico's offer and thank him for his confidence in my abilities. I will do my utmost to guide and support the tradesmen and workers of Genoa while he serves his unjust sentence.

- Giovanni Ferrero

((Privy Council))

Vote on the Act to Legitimize Political Parties: Abstain

Vote on the Senate: Amadeus Cornelius Salvatore Severin dom Contravarius-Parma y d'Alatriste-Enghien, Barone of Rubicon

Vote on the Ducal Title: Conte Federico Francesco D''Ambrosio, Conte of Cagliari

Vote on the Privy Council Lord: Antonio Maria Enrico di Susa

((Private - Privy Council))

Vote on the Act to Legitimize Political Parties: Abstain I believe that this act should be amended to only legitimize parties that do not oppose the Monarchy, for those parties are inherently subversive.

Vote on the Senate: Amadeus Cornelius Salvatore Severin dom Contravarius-Parma y d'Alatriste-Enghien, Barone of Rubicon

Vote on the Ducal Title: Conte Federico Francesco D''Ambrosio, Conte of Cagliari

Vote on the Lord President of the privy Council: Marquess Antonio Maria Enrico di Susa

((Private-Privy Council))

Vote on Veto: Si

Like I previously stated, this abominable legislation should be destroyed and cast into Hades.

Vote on Senate: Amadeus Cornelius Salvatore Severin dom Contravarius-Parma y d'Alatriste-Enghien, Baron of Rubicon

The Barone is a very honorable man who deserves the title of Senator.

Vote on Duchy: Grant to No One

It is tempting to grant the ducal title to our esteemed Prime Minister, for he certainly deserves all the recognition and praise he has received for guiding the kingdom in these disturbing times. However, I must agree with the Marquess of Montezemolo that it would set a bad precedent to concentrate too much power and too many honors in the hands of one family. Perhaps we should grant the title to the Marquess di Villamarina in the future, but I see no reason to rush the matter.

Vote on Lord President of the Privy Council: Conte Bonaretti di Nizza

I must admit that I am uncomfortable nominating and voting for myself to receive this position. However, I believe that I am quite capable of leading the Privy Council as we face the growing threat of the republican Hydra. Some have suggested our dear Prime Minister for the position, and while he would certainly fill the position quite capably I believe the office of the Prime Minister and President of the Privy Council should be separate.

It is undeniable that Maestro di Antico has acted in direct and open opposition to the laws of this Kingdom, which outlaw all publications not approved by the state. Laws should be enforced equally and without prejudice, even if they are as manifestly unjust as the ban on non-state publications.

It is in the spirit of equality under the law that I call upon the Interior Ministry to issue a warrant for the arrest of the Count of Nice, Lord Bonaretti, for his well-known sponsorship of non-state publications, in direct violation of the laws of this Kingdom.

- Giovanni Ferrero

((Public))

Bonaretti laughs

You fool, perhaps you should go back to school before you accuse me of wrongdoing. La Croce Bianca is clearly a respectable paper that is backed by His Majesty. But your literacy is none of my business, I suppose.

He returns to sipping his tea

((Tbh I'm not sure about this but I just assumed that a paper backed by the Count of Nice counted as a state-run/approved paper.))

((Tbh I'm not sure about this but I just assumed that a paper backed by the Count of Nice counted as a state-run/approved paper.))

((Private =/= state boi))

((Public))

Bonaretti laughs

You fool, perhaps you should go back to school before you accuse me of wrongdoing. La Croce Bianca is clearly a respectable paper that is backed by His Majesty. But your literacy is none of my business, I suppose.

He returns to sipping his tea

My understanding, Lord Bonaretti, is that you personally own an absolute majority of the firm which produces La Croce Bianca. Now, I am but a lowly artisan and lack the extensive education that you and your fellows possess, but as I understand it, such privately-owned endeavors are by definition private, which is to say not owned or operated by His Majesty the King or His Majesty's Government as a legal body. Furthermore, I do not believe that your position in government or your noble birth establish your personal endeavors as state institutions; if that was the case, then all of your possessions and properties would belong to His Majesty's Government, which I think we both know is not true. As the Statuto Albertino enshrines the concept of equality under the law, in which no hereditary privilege shields any individual from the application of His Majesty's justice, you are liable for prosecution under the ban on non-state publications.

I do not call for your arrest out of a sense of personal rancor or acrimony, though you have insulted me twice over in a very short statement. However, I believe that justice must be applied even-handedly. If the government wishes to imprison those individuals who publish non-state newspapers and pamphlets, that is their business and their responsibility as guardians of the law. However, they should do so in compliance with the values of justice and of His Majesty's constitution, in which he has graciously granted us all complete legal equality. I only ask that they live up to that sacred trust placed in them by His Majesty the King.

Thank you for your time.

- Giovanni Ferrero

((Private to Board Members of Il Concord Sardo, as well as Carlo Patto [Fingon888]))
PRESIDENT'S MEMO
To Whom it May Concern:

As President of this Corporation, I have been made an offer by Carlo Patto to purchase a 20% share in our company. After consultation with the shareholders, I have determined this would be done by him purchasing four 5% shares, one from each of the Board Members. The price would be ₤750 per Member, for a total of ₤3000. I plan to implement this transaction upon his formal acceptance of the offer, which I shall make in three days ((read: 24 hours)). If any board members object to this offer, they are to contact me immediately with their concerns.

Elias Balbo