Full write-up on how I fixed Retinues (for my game). Comments / critique welcome.

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Kumicho

Field Marshal
36 Badges
Jun 20, 2013
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Semper Fi
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
I've posted much of this across a variety of different threads, and since people were asking what specifically I did I thought I'd post the files here, along with what I saw as the major problems with the rework and how I fixed them. To say that retinues needed something fixed is obvious. Under pre 2.2 rules, once you got to small empire size (say, Britannia) you could crush *everything* in sight with 15k Skirmishers. They drastically reduced the levies (by half to 2/3rds) but left retinues alone, which left them completely overpowered. So while I agree that they needed to do something, I felt that the change went to far. So here are my issues, and the changes I made:

1) Retinues too expensive / slow to reinforce compared to normal troops
Even beyond the initial cost, retinues post 2.2 are ungodly expensive when reinforcing, and take far longer than your personal levies to reinforce. As a result, I found I was leaving my retinues in my capital and fighting my wars solely with personal and vassal levies, the opposite of how I would expect them to be used. I am ok with them being expensive to purchase (to provide balance), but something that is too expensive to use is pointless.

The Fix:
In the defines file, reinforcement costs were halved (down to 1.5 from 3) and reinforcement speed was quadrupled (reinforcement rate 0.1 instead of 0.025).

2) Retinues weaker than levy troops
One of the more questionable aspects is that retinue units got a huge nerf. Whereas previously Skirmish Archers got a 60% offense bonus, post 2.2 they only received a 20% offense, 10% defense bonus (same with English Longbows). That means that if you're English or Welsh, by the time that you have a second cultural building built in your demense, those troops from that barony would actually be more powerful than your retinue. And you get gobs of them with a simple Militia Training Ground or Archery Range.

The Fix:
In the Retinue Subunits file, retinues regained the bonuses that they had previously (for the most part). So Skirmishers get +60% Offense to the Archers, Knights get +60% Offense bonus to Heavy Cavalry, etc. It brings back the idea of your forces being elite units as opposed to just generic troops. Note: Not all units went back to the original. If they looked as good or better in 2.2, I left them as-is.

3) No reason to use Cultural Retinues
For myself, pre 2.2 I always just played with Skirmishers under the standard levy system. As noted above, 15k could crush everything in sight when used correctly, and so there was no reason to play with Housecarls as Norse, or Knights as France.

The Fix:
All cultural retinues got a +20% morale bonus. If these are your elite troops, at the *very* least they should be harder to kill. This is in addition to any bonuses that they had previously (so Scottish Pike get a total of +40% to morale). This also adds to the fact that even though retinues aren't large in numbers, they should be more powerful than your normal levies. And yes, occasionally my 1000 person Old Frankish Heavy Infantry retinue saved my ass as Charlemagne by being nigh unkillable.

4) Light troops are OP compared to heavy troops
Even before 2.2 Skirmish troops were the most powerful retinue, and the update made them even *more* powerful. It counts (for retinue points) Archers as being worth 1 retinue point, Light Infantry as 0.7 points, Heavy Infantry as 3 points, Camels as 3 points, Horse Archers as 4 points, and Knights as 6 points. What's more is that Light Infantry got a HUGE buff, from 1/3 (attack/defense in Skirmish) to 2/3 (so it doubled their attack value in Skirmish). Same with Light Cavalry (1.5 attack in Skirmish to 2.5 attack in Skirmish, although this might have been buffed earlier?). It means that there's practically zero reason to choose anything but light troops for your retinue.

The Fix:
This was a bit trickier, since the "cost" in retinue points is derived solely from the maintenance costs of the unit. So an Archer costs 1, whereas a Heavy Infantry costs 3. As a result, HI is 3x as expensive in retinue points, leaving retinues with them to be expensive comparatively. So maintenance costs were adjusted based on how valued I think of the units. I see a HI unit as being twice as valuable as an Archer, so the values were adjusted accordingly.

Light Infantry: 1 (increased from 0.7)
Archers: 1.2 (increased from 1)
Pikemen: 2 (what it is now)
Heavy Infantry: 2.2 (reduced from 3)
Light Cavalry: 3 (what they are now. they got a huge buff in 2.2, from 1.5 attack to 2.5 in Skirmish phase!)
Knights: 6 (what it is now. Should this be reduced? They're pretty powerful but have limited experience with them)

Horse Archers: 3.5 (reduced from 4. I'm guessing slightly stronger than the buffed Light Cavalry?)
War Elephants: 20 (same? NO clue on these guys)
Camels: 3 (what it is now)

I'm tempted to reduce knights to 5.5, but I only played briefly as Charlemagne yesterday so I don't have a ton of experience with them. This changes the stock retinues cost to:

Shock - 200 HI / 50 Archers, 500 points (down from 650 points)
Skirmish - 200 Archers / 50 HI, 350 points (exact same)
Light Skirmish - 400 LI / 150 Archers, 580 (up from 430)
Defense - 250 Pikemen, 50 Archers, 560 (up from 510)
Cavalry - 50 HC / 200 LC, 900 (same)

And any cultural retinues would obviously follow the same formula. It's not meant to make retinues specifically cheaper, but to balance out the fact that light troops were overpowered compared to heavy troops. In the example above, remember that Light Cavalry were buffed, which explains why they're still quite a bit more expensive than the rest.

5) Retinues shouldn't scale with title level
I'm including this even though I don't have an answer to it. I don't think that a Kingdom should be penalized compared to the large Empires on the map. When the Abbasids already outnumber me 42k to 9,500, they don't need an additional crutch of being able to get more retinue points per holding than I do. I'd like to get it back to the original 6 points per holding, but I have no idea on how the math works. Changing the bonus to zero left me with zero points, and changing it to 1 left me with 13,000 points. So any help in this area would be appreciated.

Conclusion
Basically what I tried to do is balance it by removing the painful aspects like slow reinforcement and ungodly high replenishing costs. They're still stupidly expensive to purchase, and their numbers are going to limit them to roughly 10-20% of your overall troop limit in the early to mid game for a modest-size kingdom. When you're blobbing as an empire and have 1000+ holdings they're going to be a far higher percent of your total army, but by that point you've won the game anyway.

For strength I tried to make up for the lack of numbers with them being special, more powerful, and especially hardy troops. They might only be 10% of your army by numbers, but they make up for it by being as tough as 20-30%.

And for me, retinues are fun again. I still want to get up to 6 points per holding across the board, but overall it feels a *lot* better. My kingdom of Aghanistan has 105 holdings, MO 3, 1500 Shock retinues and 9500 total levies. It means that retinues are roughly 15% of my total force, but they're ones that I want to ensure are in *every* battle that I fight.

Here are my defines.lua file, and retinue subunits file. They're both in the Steamapps > Common > Crusader Kings II > Common folder (retinue subunits is an additional folder). Remember to back up your current one before copying over, and it'll probably go away with any patch update.

Defines File

Retinue Subunits File

Let me know what you guys think!

edit 26/10/2014: Updated for 2.2.0.2, with the following changes made:

Pikemen/Heavy Infantry brought back up to 5 in Skirmish Defense (from 3). There was no reason for them to get nerfed in the first place, as they're some of the least-used retinues in the game. Yes, this affects all units, but it doesn't seem to play much differently.

Heavy Cavalry reduced to 4.5 maintenance (retinue points cost). 6 just seemed far too high for me, but this is one of the areas that I'm looking for comments?

Iberian cultural retinues reduced in number from 400 to 250. At 400 LC units per retinue, the cost was 1200, one of the highest in the game. Fewer units per retinue means greater flexibility, and brings them more in line with units like the Norse HI (200 units, total only 480 retinue points). Still expensive, but not 1200 retinue points expensive.

edit 29/10/2014: Both files updated for 2.2.0.3, no other changes made.

edit 31/10/2014: Defines file updated for 2.2.0.4

Last edited:
Reactions:
Let me give you my subjective opinion

1)I'd disagree they are too expensive, but reinforcement time reduction is right
2)It depends on culture, for example 2.2 retinues for Italians are better IMHO
3)I don't think this bonus is significant enough
4)You did nothing to address skirmish retinues OP in battle besides increasing their cost by 13% which is nothing (Skirmish army consists of 2 Skirmish for every 1 light skirmish retinues) They will still outnumber any other army for the same number of retinue cap points, and 1:1 battles will still look like this
[video=youtube;9tRXpZBIPJs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tRXpZBIPJs[/video]
5)I don't mind scaling by rank but it could be increased a bit.

I'm happy that you made the game more balanced to your liking, and I hope it helps some of the people here who are unhappy with the recent changes in the game mechanics.

I had retinues permanently modded to have upkeep until Paradox added it in the base game for me :)

I hope others can be content with using mods to make the game more playable for themselves, like many of us have been for the past year or so.

I'd reduce the cost of knights. HC-dominated retinues are normally insanely expensive for their numbers, whilst not being so powerful as to justify it with the current reduced numbers.

I'm happy that you made the game more balanced to your liking, and I hope it helps some of the people here who are unhappy with the recent changes in the game mechanics.

I had retinues permanently modded to have upkeep until Paradox added it in the base game for me :)

I hope others can be content with using mods to make the game more playable for themselves, like many of us have been for the past year or so.

I'd like it if we could try for the middle ground. We've swung from boring retinues because OP to boring retinues because almost all the options are worthless.

Don't get why it was felt that the best solution was to change literally every retinue-related variable in one go. Kind of hard to tell what fixes are good and what aren't if you just slash everything. :blink:

I'd reduce the cost of knights. HC-dominated retinues are normally insanely expensive for their numbers, whilst not being so powerful as to justify it with the current reduced numbers.

I'd like it if we could try for the middle ground. We've swung from boring retinues because OP to boring retinues because almost all the options are worthless.

Don't get why it was felt that the best solution was to change literally every retinue-related variable in one go. Kind of hard to tell what fixes are good and what aren't if you just slash everything. :blink:

Of all the arguments made here concerning retinues I'd be happiest with the idea that they are few and expensive, but powerful when you use cultural retinues. But I don't think Paradox is going to make much change on this, I think they have a pretty good idea of how they want the game to play, despite what their QA would indicate.

Of all the arguments made here concerning retinues I'd be happiest with the idea that they are few and expensive, but powerful when you use cultural retinues. But I don't think Paradox is going to make much change on this, I think they have a pretty good idea of how they want the game to play, despite what their QA would indicate.

And we're back to either 'sheer numbers is best tactic' or 'archer spam'. So something needs to be fixed somewhere. Tactics, retinues...

Wish that the simple tactics mod was in the base game.

And we're back to either 'sheer numbers is best tactic' or 'archer spam'. So something needs to be fixed somewhere. Tactics, retinues...

Wish that the simple tactics mod was in the base game.

I have nothing against tactics overhauls as long as they are balanced, all I said was I think the retinues should be small and expensive but powerful. I suppose I also think something like a tactics overhaul is beyond Paradox's level of interest or ability at this point in time.

Groogy mentioned in one of the other threads about possibly taking a second look at this if it's warranted. Hopefully they do so...

Thoughts on what heavy cavalry should be? 5? 5.5? It'll reduce Cavalry a bit as well.

Groogy mentioned in one of the other threads about possibly taking a second look at this if it's warranted. Hopefully they do so...

I noticed that. I never thought Retinues were OP in terms of strength, it was just far too cheap to own them, especially as a small state. I mean, once you had a half-decent empire back in those old days (like 1 week ago lol) you never had to raise levies ever again, because you usually had at least 20k rets. Well, at least I didn't.

I noticed that. I never thought Retinues were OP in terms of strength, it was just far too cheap to own them, especially as a small state. I mean, once you had a half-decent empire back in those old days (like 1 week ago lol) you never had to raise levies ever again, because you usually had at least 20k rets. Well, at least I didn't.

Yup, same here. It's one of the reasons I went back to pre-2.0 levies (after 2.0 came out). 20k Skirmishers destroyed everything with 2.0 levies. With previous 2.0 levies, they'd get crushed by 100k HRE armies almost immediately. :)

So the reduction in retinues was appreciated, but the rest was way over the top...

Simple illustration of how strong skirmish retinues are (and these are generic not English retinues...)
ofQVtz1.png

Simple illustration of how strong skirmish retinues are (and these are not British retinues...)
ofQVtz1.png

And what generals were you using? And what generals were they using?

Winning battles 1:2 is doable with proper generals. Also this battle was 11k v 17k at the very start or were they reinforced after you boke the first army?

So many little things can cause this, placing the result solely on skirmish retinues is wrong.

Simple illustration of how strong skirmish retinues are (and these are not British retinues...)
ofQVtz1.png

Surprisingly enough the problem is the Light Skirmishers, not the Skirmishers. The way they're set up allows the archers to always roll good tactics (LI don't contribute anything to tactics) while the overall numbers allow the army to avoid the Charge on Undefended. The doubling of their Skirmish phase attack doesn't hurt either. It would probably be best if the entire retinue was gotten rid of, forcing the player to use Defense instead (which is what used to be the optimal army composition).

That would force player to spend more gold and points on the Pikemen... Either that or change the makeup of the Light Skirmish retinue to ruin the tactics (like adding 100 light cavalry, for instance).

And what generals were you using? And what generals were they using?

Winning battles 1:2 is doable with proper generals. Also this battle was 11k v 17k at the very start or were they reinforced after you boke the first army?

So many little things can cause this, placing the result solely on skirmish retinues is wrong.
Random Italian leaders, battle at the very start. It's not a single case, it happens every time. Stop calling them skirmishers, they are redcoats :p

For what it's worth:
Stats in 2.2
Code:
		Morale	Maint	Sk Atk	Ml Atk	P Atk	Sk Def	Ml Def	P Def
Light Infantry	2	0.7	2.00	3.00	3.00	2.50	2.00	3.00
Heavy Infantry	4	3.0	0.25	6.00	1.00	3.00	4.00	1.00
Pikemen		6	2.0	0.10	5.00	0.20	3.00	6.00	2.00
Light Cavalry	3	3.0	2.50	3.00	10.00	5.00	3.00	8.00
Knights		10	6.0	0.50	10.00	6.00	8.00	8.00	4.00
Archers		1	1.0	5.00	1.00	2.00	3.00	1.00	2.00
Horse Archers	5	4.0	4.00	3.00	7.00	4.00	4.00	7.00
War Elephants	15	20.0	0.25	25.00	3.00	12.00	20.00	4.00
Camel Cavalry	5	3.0	3.00	6.00	3.00	4.00	4.00	3.00

Average		4.9	3.5	1.8	5.6	3.8	4.5	4.8	3.5
Stats before 2.2
Code:
Light Infantry	3	1.0	1.00	3.00	3.00	3.00	3.00	3.00
Heavy Infantry	5	2.0	0.25	6.00	2.00	5.00	4.00	2.00
Pikemen		6	2.0	0.10	5.00	0.20	5.00	8.00	2.00
Light Cavalry	4	2.0	1.50	4.50	10.00	5.00	3.00	8.00
Knights		10	4.0	0.50	10.00	8.00	8.00	8.00	5.00
Archers		1	1.0	5.00	1.00	2.00	3.00	2.00	3.00
Horse Archers	5	2.0	4.00	3.00	7.00	4.00	4.00	7.00
Camel Cavalry	5	2.0	3.00	6.00	3.00	4.00	4.00	3.00

Average		5.3	2.9	1.5	5.8	4.2	5.1	5.3	4.0
The main changes were in the cost. Light Infantry were the big winner, with their cost decreasing while costs rose overall, and horse archers were the big loser, with their costs doubling. (The "average" is a weighted mean with "special troop" types having 1/21 weight each and regular troop types 1/7 weight each.)

For what it's worth:
Stats in 2.2
Code:
		Morale	Maint	Sk Atk	Ml Atk	P Atk	Sk Def	Ml Def	P Def
Light Infantry	2	0.7	2.00	3.00	3.00	2.50	2.00	3.00
Heavy Infantry	4	3.0	0.25	6.00	1.00	3.00	4.00	1.00
Pikemen		6	2.0	0.10	5.00	0.20	3.00	6.00	2.00
Light Cavalry	3	3.0	2.50	3.00	10.00	5.00	3.00	8.00
Knights		10	6.0	0.50	10.00	6.00	8.00	8.00	4.00
Archers		1	1.0	5.00	1.00	2.00	3.00	1.00	2.00
Horse Archers	5	4.0	4.00	3.00	7.00	4.00	4.00	7.00
Camel Cavalry	5	3.0	3.00	6.00	3.00	4.00	4.00	3.00

Average		4.9	3.5	1.8	5.6	3.8	4.5	4.8	3.5
Stats before 2.2
Code:
Light Infantry	3	1.0	1.00	3.00	3.00	3.00	3.00	3.00
Heavy Infantry	5	2.0	0.25	6.00	2.00	5.00	4.00	2.00
Pikemen		6	2.0	0.10	5.00	0.20	5.00	8.00	2.00
Light Cavalry	4	2.0	1.50	4.50	10.00	5.00	3.00	8.00
Knights		10	4.0	0.50	10.00	8.00	8.00	8.00	5.00
Archers		1	1.0	5.00	1.00	2.00	3.00	2.00	3.00
Horse Archers	5	2.0	4.00	3.00	7.00	4.00	4.00	7.00
Camel Cavalry	5	2.0	3.00	6.00	3.00	4.00	4.00	3.00

Average		5.3	2.9	1.5	5.8	4.2	5.1	5.3	4.0
The main changes were in the cost. Light Infantry were the big winner, with their cost decreasing while costs rose overall, and horse archers were the big loser, with their costs doubling. (The "average" is a weighted mean with "special troop" types having 1/21 weight each and regular troop types 1/7 weight each.)

Thanks! Keep in mind that pre-2.2 the retinue points cost for the units wasn't based on maintenance costs. It was just a fixed 600, 800, 900, 1000, etc. Although to be fair most of the single unit retinues were 1000 points (Hussars, Gussars, Housecarls, etc).

Thanks! Keep in mind that pre-2.2 the retinue points cost for the units wasn't based on maintenance costs. It was just a fixed 600, 800, 900, 1000, etc. Although to be fair most of the single unit retinues were 1000 points (Hussars, Gussars, Housecarls, etc).
This is untrue; pre-2.2 the retinue points cost for the units was also the maintenance cost. I know this for sure because I did a little pre-2.2 retinue modding, and changing maintenance costs changed retinue cap usage in exactly the way you would expect; also, notice that most of the single unit retinues were troops that had maintenance 2 before the changes (HI, pikes, LC, camels) and 2*500 = 1000.

Based on keeping Light Skirmish baseline and evaluating units by their combat stats and available tactics, I'd suggest retcap costs weighted based on:

0.7 Light Infantry [sk=2/2.5, me=3/2, pu=3/3] (*)
1.0 Archer [sk=5/3, me=1/1, pu=2/2]
1.2 Pikemen [sk=0.1/3, me=5/6, pu=0.2/2], Heavy Infantry [sk=0.25/3, me=6/4, pu=1/1]
2.0 Light Cavalry [sk=2.5/5, me=3/3, pu=8/8]
3.0 Camel Cavalry [sk=3/4, me=6/4, pu=4/3], Horse Archers [sk=4/4, me=3/4, pu=7/7], Knights [sk=0.5/8, me=10/8, pu=6/4]
5.0 Elephants [sk=0.25/12, me=25/20, pu=3/4]

Which could then be linearly scaled up or down en-masse to produce the intended level of power. The retcap cost for each class introduced as a new variable in defines.lua and 00_special_troops.txt, thus disassociating that cost from the gold maintenance cost.

(*) LI at 0.7 if intending to keep current Light Skirmish baseline, increase to 0.9-1.0 to be more in line with the other rebalanced numbers if weighting the siege ability lower.

WHOA. Just noticed the skirmish defense of the melee units was nerfed. UMM. Wow. WHY? Was there ever a situation where Pikes, HI, or LI were OP? Maybe before RoI when Schiltrons were guaranteed to get their tactic in melee and could almost completely skip skirmish. But recently? No way. I can't even...

[a fair few things]
Colour-coded it for better visibility in case anyone wanted to see at a glance what'd changed
d9Mgr4E.png

Green = increased; red = decreased; no colour = same
(I accidentally made that one 6 green and had to crudely edit that out in case anyone was wondering why it's randomly a different colour)